Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Dr. Glasscock posted:

How are maps determined by the way? With all those planets, surely there is just a handfull of maps, right?

Yeah, right now there's only a few (3 or 4?) layouts, and the actual boundaries of the map are determined by the game mode. Skirmish matches usually include the whole layout, while other modes like Ambush take place in a small portion of one layout. Planetary Conquest matches are Skirmish matches and they take place in the same old layouts as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Speaking of maps, some of them feel like a serious rat maze. I wish I could vault over some of those railings. I routinely go the wrong way around structures and have to wind back around to get the heck out.

LostInTheSauce
Feb 14, 2013

Which way did I go?

MrLonghair posted:

How much better are you at surviving something like an assault rifle or Scrambler than an assault suit? Speed be damned when survivability goes up decently, though it hurts to lose an equipment slot. EHP, using advanced or proto, boosts and plates?

I run a basic fit with 1150 HP using a single complex armor plate

I run 1012 HP with nothing but reps.

Survivability and durability have increased against everything EXCEPT the duvolle tac and the duvolle AR. they still melt you down in nothing flat.

everything else better engage at range or they're dead meat. The HMG is viable and violently satisfying now.

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013
I'd been playing as a Heavy/HMG/FORGE from last May till the January reset when I switched to Assault AR/SWARM. I'd always enjoyed it but was frustrated by the ISK and SP multipliers that made it prohibitive compared to the AR route. It seems we're light in that dept at the moment so I'm going to request a skill respec and point my 10 million SP towards that suppression/av role.

LostInTheSauce
Feb 14, 2013

Which way did I go?
oh for those of you who are curious about the plan for causing screaming?

Pay attention to the forums tonight. I expect that the next day or so will be hilarious.

Be prepared for full-on nerdrage. If it doesn't happen we'll taunt the poo poo out of our victims till they start screaming.

If they don't nerdrage publically then they will have failed to warn our next bracket of poor victims.

This :can: is truly something no one will be prepared for.

LostInTheSauce fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 17, 2013

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
If it's really going to be that spectacular, I hope someone involved has the ability to capture video.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
applied to Goonfeet as Mu Opioid.

How do you afford all the skill books to train the 500,000sp worth of skills in the intro post? I have an old PC EVE account, can I just send all my isk from that chump to this one?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Opioid posted:

How do you afford all the skill books to train the 500,000sp worth of skills in the intro post? I have an old PC EVE account, can I just send all my isk from that chump to this one?

You're going to have to play a few matches if you want to buy all of the skill books. At this point you cannot transfer ISK from an EVE account to your DUST character.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Run a few matches with the free fits, the Instant Battle Academy is filled with fools that do nothing but hack turrets. A few games in and you should be able to afford the skill books you want.

Call in a free LAV and run people over. No one has AV in noob mode, just watch for turrets.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

If it's really going to be that spectacular, I hope someone involved has the ability to capture video.

At least one or two, besides me do it. I just need to quit having achy muscles and play more.

I forgot to post new bee VS old bee:

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

LostInTheSauce posted:

Pay attention to the forums tonight. I expect that the next day or so will be hilarious.

Be prepared for full-on nerdrage. If it doesn't happen we'll taunt the poo poo out of our victims till they start screaming.

If they don't nerdrage publically then they will have failed to warn our next bracket of poor victims.

Well Shiiiiit! You have me very excited for this! I'll be away from the forums for a few days, so this will hopefully be a nice gift to come back to on tuesday!

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
Really excited to try this out tonight, hopefully I can get some time. I'm trying to find pictures to see what each of the quarters looks like, any idea where I can find? Been Googling and haven't found anything.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

LostInTheSauce posted:

Hell yes. This is going to be awesome. :dance:

Daft chunK
Jan 23, 2008

Wut
We don't have a spreadsheet of good / overpowered load outs yet do we? Currently running around with starter poo poo generally having a swell time :v:

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
The newbie skillplan is helpful, but is there any advice on what poo poo to buy from the market as a newbie?

I've only spent isk on skills so far (granted, I'm only a few academy battles in...)

e;fb

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Applied as King Hotpants.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Daft chunK posted:

We don't have a spreadsheet of good / overpowered load outs yet do we? Currently running around with starter poo poo generally having a swell time :v:

I've got two teams of "Top Men" working on it. If they don't stop arguing and have something for me in a few days I'm going to throw a knife and a gun with a single shot in the room and lock the door.

Octavious
Dec 29, 2004

Juices so sweet and sassy

crazypenguin posted:

The newbie skillplan is helpful, but is there any advice on what poo poo to buy from the market as a newbie?

I've only spent isk on skills so far (granted, I'm only a few academy battles in...)

e;fb

The first thing I'd suggest is getting your main weapon (probably assault rifle) to standard grade. The difference between militia and standard is huge, both in performance and fitting. Militia gear, while free, is a huge hog on your CPU and PGU compared to standard.

Daft chunK
Jan 23, 2008

Wut

Samahiel posted:

I've got two teams of "Top Men" working on it. If they don't stop arguing and have something for me in a few days I'm going to throw a knife and a gun with a single shot in the room and lock the door.

Fantastic, you'll find the gun unfired and the knife unused as the new topic of whether a gun with one shot or a knife is better.

Because seriously for a game about shooting people in the face, doing that wrist hacky thing and symbols every bloody where its far too complicated.

Roll on the Dust version of the Rifter Tackler :goon:

Fnord
Apr 20, 2001
WHAT
Applied as Ishbahming Mish. I have absolutely no idea whatI am doing in this game weapon or skill wise. You need a guy on the team like that right?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

We could probably form a whole platoon of goons with absolutely no idea what we're doing at this point. It's a shame we can't have larger battles than 32 players, I'd happily join a suicide squad while more skilled goons did their thing amidst the confusion.

Totally unrelated but typing that made me think of the glory days of timesplitters 2, covering someone with remote mines and then sending them into the enemy's base :allears:. More games need that.

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 18, 2013

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Anthrovore posted:

We could probably form a whole platoon of goons with absolutely no idea what we're doing at this point. It's a shame we can't have larger battles than 32 players, I'd happily join a suicide squad while more skilled goons did their thing amidst the confusion.

Totally unrelated but typing that made me think of the glory days of timesplitters 2, covering someone with remote mines and then sending them into the enemy's base :allears:. More games need that.

Now this really makes me wish they took a page out of the MAG playbook and had 256 player maps :allears:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Sammus posted:

Since teamkilling in general matches has been removed, Breaking Stuff and myself have settled on a new way to be the most rage inducing corp in the game. And we really think we can pull it off with this. We expect that we'll have people absolutely screaming at us both in game and on the forums in no time at all. Join us on IRC or in game to find out how you can help, and how we intend to milk tears from the pubbie masses for our enjoyment!

Super down for this.

For :science: of course!

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

Now this really makes me wish they took a page out of the MAG playbook and had 256 player maps :allears:

Lol 16v16 barely works correctly as it is, though it would be cool.

I'm proud of our squad of newbie alts today. We taught the newberrys some valuable lessons. It warmed my heart when my fellow blues followed my alt Crystal Methana's lead and started their own jeep squad.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Fnord posted:

Applied as Ishbahming Mish. I have absolutely no idea whatI am doing in this game weapon or skill wise. You need a guy on the team like that right?

Never hurts to skill into Assault Rifles. They're a bread-and-butter weapon to have. After that, it's up to you what you want to do. Like getting up close and personal to Raspberries? Try the Shotgun. Hate tanks and turret installations? Try Swarm Launchers. Fan of the Heavy Weapons Guy from TF2? Try a Heavy suit and a HMG. Like to sit back and plink at dudes from a distance and generally be useless? Try the Sniper Rifle. Enjoy explosions? Try the Mass Driver.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Assault rifles and shotguns for me please! Also, I was wrecking guys left and right when I was down to the SMG with no skills specced into it. Then again, pubbies :/

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I realize that it's somewhat down to personal choice/ proficiency, but what kind of weapons should I be looking at using with light armor? I'm in love with the aesthetic design of the minmatar light armor. It's space eighties as gently caress and has a chestputer.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Anthrovore posted:

I realize that it's somewhat down to personal choice/ proficiency, but what kind of weapons should I be looking at using with light armor? I'm in love with the aesthetic design of the minmatar light armor. It's space eighties as gently caress and has a chestputer.

Light armor's only real advantages are its low scan profile and it's relative fast speed, as the armor has all the durability of wet toilet paper and graham crackers. So if I were you, I'd either devote a light armor to a Sniper role or something with hit-and-run advantages, like an SMG or Shotgun. Sneak in, shoot, and get the gently caress outta there.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Dunno about this build, but in Chromosome and earlier builds the scout suit was a poor choice for sniper due to its high probability of being killed in a single body shot with sniper rifles. They were too easily counter-sniped. This build, I'm not sure. Charge rifle isn't standard tier anymore, and maybe the skills/mods are different such that it's harder to stack damage buffs? In any case, give it a try I guess, but I always found medium suits to be more suitable for sniping. The one caveat to this is that, if you want to be a "front line" sort of sniper then scout suits can be decent. However, that was in part due to the terrible hit detection of the previous and earlier builds. If scout suits don't magically avoid damage anymore, then they would be less useful still for sniping.

But yeah, shotgun scouts have always been pretty dangerous. Shotguns at least used to be able to one-shot a lot of suits at close range. Sneak up behind people and drop them. Or run around in more built up areas and be quicker on the draw than the other guy.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Lassitude posted:

Dunno about this build, but in Chromosome and earlier builds the scout suit was a poor choice for sniper due to its high probability of being killed in a single body shot with sniper rifles. They were too easily counter-sniped.

True, but to be fair you can one-shot nearly everyone with a headshot from a Sniper Rifle.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Applied in-game, my char is "Max Packer," I have no mic and no idea what I'm doing

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

IronSaber posted:

True, but to be fair you can one-shot nearly everyone with a headshot from a Sniper Rifle.

Unless you're using Thale or have complex damage mods on an Ishukone, this is only true about half the time.

Gray Garrison
Nov 8, 2005

Good old Jersey Boy Racist
I've got 2 characters, one under my SA name which I'm trying to usurp my friend's corp under, and Andrea Tetons who will probably be applying for Goonfeet soon.

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog
I downloaded it and started playing some last weekend, it's pretty drat fun. Gonna see if I can stick with a sniper roll, as I'm usually horrible at these types of game.

Definitely a nice companion to my regular EVE playing.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Whenever Manus Peak comes up I usually spend part of the game sniping with a standard sniper rifle or the level two tactical sniper on my medium frame. To make myself feel useful I like to stick to countersniping, and keeping my squadmates updated on the movements of the enemies around the Manus triangle of objectives. From a hill you can usually see all three points, and help soften up the enemy as your team approaches an objective.

After 1-2 deaths as a sniper I usually stop, as the enemy is probably wise to your positions.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
applied as Rosa Marxe, I play EVE in GoonWaffe too and figured may as well be in the DUST corp for when I've got access to my ps3

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
Just started as MisterCrow. Just played a game, seems awesome. Can I get an invite?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Sorry about all the disconnects last night guys. My isp sucks buttes. :saddowns:

Good times though! :unsmith::respek::unsmith:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Is there a go-to source for basic info on early strategy? I've played a few matches and I've been spending all my cash on skill upgrades, based on the chart in the OP (I've almost got enough cash for grenadier). I haven't bought any equipment yet, and I'm sucking pretty hard so far. Should I spend some cash on gear before continuing to skillup, or is it a waste at this point? Ideally, I'd like to be able to do more damage at medium range, like 30-50 paces or so. Also, is there a way to upgrade the gear on starter classes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bella Rugente
Mar 25, 2012
For the lamentations of pubbies, stealing dropships with the owner and his squad inside still works by then ramming it into the enemy MCC. So far no mail for my efforts on the latest heist, but team chat was priceless. Tanks aren't too hard to swipe either, though most good tanks are called in by people smart enough to not have random blues standing around.

• Locked thread