Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Are the Japanese screenshots from an older version? The English version of the town looks much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

That crossed my mind and really the only evidence I have that it's not is

1) I can't find a newer version (not entirely convincing since I only found a couple of copies of this version and that's most likely because (spoiler screenshots) it won a 10,000 yen RPG Maker competition prize)
2) RM2KFanBoy added a 'backgrounds by ...' credit at the end, though I don't know if that means 'town tiles' or 'outdoor backgrounds for battles' or what

Polsy fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 15, 2013

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh boy, grinding! In RPG Maker! :suicide:

If you're willing to cheat a little, back up your install, then replace the file RPG_RT.ldb in the game folder with this one. You should then get BP after every battle, which ought to speed things up a bit.

It should be entirely safe since it's just a tiny edit of the check for how many battles you've fought, and it worked perfectly when I tested it - but like I said, do create a backup if you use it. I'd just copy the entire folder, personally, so you have an entirely untouched version in case this causes the game to choke on its own intestines for whatever reason.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
We should give Latyss a little love(no pun intended(seriously))and take her along.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Hoping that Caris BURNFIST can live up to her last name.
:bandwagon:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

We need Latyss so we can have more :iceburn:s.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Awww yeah, I remember trying this years ago on recommendation of it being one of the great RPG Maker 2000 games. I never got very far because I can't stand half-translated dialog. Or the writing.

vilkacis posted:

Oh boy, grinding! In RPG Maker! :suicide:

If you're willing to cheat a little, back up your install, then replace the file RPG_RT.ldb in the game folder with this one. You should then get BP after every battle, which ought to speed things up a bit.

It should be entirely safe since it's just a tiny edit of the check for how many battles you've fought, and it worked perfectly when I tested it - but like I said, do create a backup if you use it. I'd just copy the entire folder, personally, so you have an entirely untouched version in case this causes the game to choke on its own intestines for whatever reason.

Alternatively you can play the game in test mode. When in test mode you can change the switches and variables the game uses for the creator's logic by pushing F9. You can't change values internal to the engine (experience, equipment, who is in your party, etc.) but variable #30 is the victory point counter and you can change it to whatever you want. Plus you can hold Ctrl to disable random encounters (assuming the game uses the internal one) and walk through walls!

e: Grammar also Burnfist

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 15, 2013

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

GreatRedSpirit posted:

http://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/109/

Neat! Didn't know that was possible. But yeah, that's definitely going to make it easier. Keep in mind a lot of events tend to be triggered by walking on specific tiles though, and it's easy to miss them if you're running around inside the walls.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Burnfist because it's both an awesome name, and it also kinda sounds like and STD.

Also, this game is insane... but in a good way!

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Latyss

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Polsy posted:

You convinced me to dig a little further and it seems like yeah, it's real, and RM2KFanBoy made more changes than I would've given him credit for.
Holy poo poo, now that's interesting! I did some digging before the thread, but never found that. Now I wonder how the current version of the game came about. I don't think that RM2KFanBoy just ripped and remodeled it without Flare's knowledge. I guess the game just got popular due to the contest thingy, and western audiences wanted to have it? I do know that this release was quite popular back in the day. I'm kind of curious how much the versions differ when it comes to content and systems. But I'm not insane enough to check.

vilkacis posted:

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Alternatively you can play the game in test mode. When in test mode you can change the switches and variables the game uses for the creator's logic by pushing F9. You can't change values internal to the engine (experience, equipment, who is in your party, etc.) but variable #30 is the victory point counter and you can change it to whatever you want. Plus you can hold Ctrl to disable random encounters (assuming the game uses the internal one) and walk through walls!
I'm not against cheating at all! Seriously, I have to grind a ton for the points so I'll take a look into your solutions when I'm free to play again. Messing with the counter switch seems to be the best solution though, since I was already planning to grind the easy battles next to LaiLai. Now, if you could also mess with the chance for that lucky bonus. :allears:

Also, Caris now has a strong 10 > 4 lead.

ultrafilter posted:

Yeah, Caris seems like the highest comedy value right now.
I may end up quoting this post in the next update.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Holy poo poo, now that's interesting! I did some digging before the thread, but never found that. Now I wonder how the current version of the game came about. I don't think that RM2KFanBoy just ripped and remodeled it without Flare's knowledge. I guess the game just got popular due to the contest thingy, and western audiences wanted to have it? I do know that this release was quite popular back in the day. I'm kind of curious how much the versions differ when it comes to content and systems. But I'm not insane enough to check.

Yeah, actually, thinking about it it seems unlikely he'd bother to remodel it that hard (and well) and it feels more like something the author would do to improve it after the original edition got some attention. Not too surprising that secondary editions of an RPG Maker game from 10+ years ago would have vanished off the face of the earth.

The only real differences I found up to this point, beyond graphics and town layout, are
- the 'straight to the game' option is moved to after Lucitta's questions, so while they're not optional, after answering them you don't have to suffer the theme song
- if the Love Counter NPC exists at all, they're not in Lailai actually scratch that, I hadn't picked up the membership card at the beginning

Polsy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 15, 2013

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Now, if you could also mess with the chance for that lucky bonus. :allears:

We certainly could! It'd be easy to make it trigger more often (the code is "generate random number from 0-4; give bonus if 0"), or I could just make it hand out more points, or even both. Pick your poison!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I'll get back on that later, when the VP prices are 20 or above. I'm also going to need to grind a bit of Xp anyway, so your first idea should be enough for now.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Bonus points all day, every day!

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Dr Pepper posted:

Caris Burnfist because, come on, her last name is Burnfist.

This is a very reasonably choice so let's go with Burnfist.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

:siren: Surprise :siren:

Voting is closed and Caris wins! You reap what you sow

I know I said that I would leave it open for longer, but I had some luck in my schedule and was able to play the next part. And really, with that massive lead I don't think that Latyss would have made a surprise comeback. If any of you withheld their votes due to the large frame than I'm sorry! I'm going to stick to clear frames for the next votings. It's just that I had a pretty uncertain schedule with the upcoming trip and want to use the breaks I have. I'm going to process the footage a bit before hitting the sack, and "may" be able to post the update before leaving tomorrow night. Depends on how my day goes, really.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 16, 2013

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Cave of Noob

Before we start on the meat of this update, let me trigger a little scene that I forgot earlier.

You can use the striking stone next to Caris' house and trigger a scene with her.

"It's a striking stone which I used often for good practice. How about a try?"

Yeah, sure.

"Guess it won't do any good by just staring at it all day long. Better practice!"

"Huh! Ha! Haaah!"

"Ah!?"

"Just stopped by. I knew it was you by the sound of the strike."

"Just by the sound?"

"That's easy. You always start with 3 fast strokes."

"Ah~ Am I that predictable?"

"Well, I still prefer this way when I got so many things to worry about."

"You got that right! Just look at these marks, you surely have good potential to go berserk..."

"....Looks like you are right."

"Well... I gotta go to finish my errands, why don't you clean these up before you leave?"

Att 7>>>9

Don't be fooled by her being nice, she'll show her true face soon enough.

Speaking of...

"Actually, there is something I need to ask you for favor."

Ryle explained the situation

"I see...that's what happened to the Southern Cray City."

"...Cause that, I can't go alone this time."

"I got ONE condition."

"What is it?"

"If I want to quit at some point, you gonna let me?"

You're not a very good friend, Caris.

"Fine with me. I'll go find someone else over there in case you leave."

"Alrighty- Not that hard headed than I thought."

"In return...I want THIS & that. Oh I also want THAT & on & on..."

"(She was definitly NOT a right choice!)"

Ryle is talking to you, thread. :colbert:

Well, since Caris is now in our party let's check her out.

She's two levels below Ryle and therefore weaker, but that won't stay for long.

She starts with a fire ball and one special skill. Skills that cost zero Mps can not be used by the player, they have to be triggered by the world. They are basically an event switch. Her skill will get used in the first dungeon, so I'll explain it then.

The other girls also have a short reaction to whichever girl you choose to come with you. First Orubia.

"Sis Caris! You too leaving with Ryle? Good luck you two."

"Sis" is another verbal thing that Orubia does. I think it's the "chan" term that Japanese people use?

"You can count on me! Totally~ Right Ryle?"

PUNCH

Take that as a hint for the things that will come...

Let's see what Latyss has to say.

"!?"

"Hi Latyss-"

"....."

"Poker face as usual..."

Why don't you care, Latyss? WHY? :qq:

Whatever! Let's do our quest. Though, on the way I grind a level for Caris and also equip her with better armor. She learned a single target heal skill from that level, but using a potion heals more HP. So it's pretty useless!

Finally some dungeoneering.

"I know, it looks like the place might collapse any time~"

"Umm..what are we supposed to do here?"

"Something's written on the floor..."

"I guess we have to split up from here."

"You gonna owe me big time from now on, I can just tell!"

"I'll head south. Caris, you try north."

"What if I just want to quite in the middle of way?"

Please don't

"Waa? Man, you are so pathetic..."

"Didn't we have an agreement? That I can quit whenever I want!"

Welp, she has a point there. But no fear, she won't ditch us. Also I don't really get why she has the trait of being lazy. Isn't she supposed to be an energetic fighter-girl that likes fighting? Ah well, better not dwell too deep on the characters.

"Use this Insect Flute. If I end up at dead end, I'll blow it. Then you get going. And when you want to leave, just blow the flute, I'll be right back to you!"

Why does Ryle have a flute in the first place? Nobody knows! :iiam:

Well, since this is the first dungeon it's also pretty easy and I'm going to abbreviate a lot of it. It's really not that interesting. Though I should point out that you can't use the menu to save while in a dungeon. You have to use savepoints, just like the one that I'm standing next to!

The main task in here is just walking along, since this is no maze and really straightforward.

Also you fight trash mobs on the way.

Spiders have a bit more HP than the enemies before, and can wait a turn to buff their next attack. Ryle craps all over them though. :fuckoff:

There are also bats in here.

They pose no challenge at all, and are only mildly annoying due to their high dodge rate.

After a bit of walking, Ryle finds his first treasure.

There will be trapped chest later, but this one is fine and yields five potions.

The next chest isn't far away either.

:toot:

This is a pretty nice sword for so early in the game. It also massively outclasses the crappy Slime Sword!

After a few more steps, Ryle perks up.

"drat- ! I already walked for long time, but where is pass?!"

"Now it's falling any time! Arg...~"

The game also exaggerates this with a wacky sound bite. Rocks falling on Ryle's head will be a common source of comedy in this game. :thumbsup:

But Ryle's path eventually comes to an end.

"Ack! A DEAD END!?"

"Hmm? A switch?"

Better press that...

"Wow! What was that? Something moved when I stepped on the switch!"

"Now I get it! One person turns on the switch here and the other one is supposed to get the pass!"

You really had to figure this out? I mean, really? Also don't think too hard about why somebody stole the passes and placed them in here, or if anything makes any sense at all!

"Ok! Better let her know now! Let me use the flute."

"The Insect Flute! So it's my turn!"

Caris faces the same enemies and has no problems with them. Though her bat encounters contain three instead of two.

Her path is as equally straight as Ryle's was.

This chest contains three Jellos, and is very close to the entrance.

Along the way, she finds something unusual in the floor.

"Well, I can just jump over it! Maybe too big for Orubia to cross."

Why are you randomly dissing your friends? :milk:

She takes a few steps back and just jumps the gap. I wanted to snag a Gif of it, but it became unusually large and looked lovely due to the screen scrolling. So just imagine it!

Of course, there is more than one pit.

"Whew~ That was CLOSE! What an old building! Just imagine if I fell down there..."

I like that thought. :allears:

Remember that special skill she has?

"How annoying~ Wanna fight? Hidden Crash- !!

:black101:

"They're just too weak after all."

This skill allows her to instantly defeat scripted monster ambushes. There are a few in here and in later parts of the game. They are no different from the random battles, but it's nice to save some time. Latyss, on the other hand, has to fight those battles and this dungeon is overall a tad harder with her.

Just a few steps later...

"Whaa? The ceiling is falling!"

:ohdear:

But Caris is quick enough to dodge the rock.

"Whew! That was close one~ I wonder how Ryle is doing now?"

I guess his head is starting to swell up by now?

Finally, Caris also reaches the end.

Kinda weird that you can't see Ryle here.

She just has to cross the bridge...

"It looks so obvious! A TRAP!"

"Daaah! What's THIS?"

BATS! :eek:

"You're SO persistant you know! Chasing after a pretty girl like me, perverted monsters...~"

"You gonna pay for this!"

This fight is more annoying than difficult. Most of the bats go before her, and so I have to sit through them doing their piddly 1 damage attacks.

Since Caris still needs two strikes for killing one bat, let's up the ante.

:flame:

Doing it like this would still take some time, but luckily I don't have to. Cause after a few rounds an event gets triggered.

"My beautiful hair*frown* Now you've done it! You must pay for it- !!"

"Let me see... I can use THAT move!"

Ah, yes. THAT move, of course!

"Maybe not as perfect as daddy's! Magic Sword... HEAT RAY- !!

:supaburn:

And she just kills them all! Jfyi, Latyss will also learn a multi target spell here. And since I never did that part without her, I don't know if she will still have it later.

"....WOW! I did it!!"

"How talented Lady Caris! Hee Hee*smile*"

oh god shut up

The fight also spits out one VP, confirming my theory that boss battles give points regardless of battle count.

"I found it! So this is the pass!! Oh! So many passes! Maybe I can just...."

"What the...they are made of copper! I can't even sell'em *frown* Totally worthless~"

That's our Caris! :downsrim:

"Uh forget it! I'm gonna just take 2! Would Ryle happy about that?"

Possibly?!

Att 9>>>12

:woop:

I'm showing both of these to make a point. See, in the olden days of RPG maker, the scripting and switch range was a tad limited. So the makers often had to include items that act as switches. This also means that my inventory will get cluttered with worthless items that I can't get rid of.

Also, Latyss has a neat splash picture when she picks up these things.

I'm just showing this because I know about it.

Well, since we're done, Caris can make her way back to the entrance. And I actually have to walk back and fight more randoms on the way. A transition would have been nice!

At the entrance, Caris uses the flute.

"That sound is from the flute. She already got the pass? Hope she's not messing with me."

"A true gentleman never let a lady wait."

"Hey! I ran as fast as I could!"

"Just kidding! Quicker than I expected!"

"Darn it!"

So, we're done here and can go to the south. We don't even have to talk to the elder, or bring back the box. Cause who gives a gently caress about order, right?

Still, I quickly visit Lailai because I have enough VP for the next item.

I made them the legit way. I had two lucky bonuses which spat out four points each! :allears:

:shrug:

".....How is this different from...say, Slime Sword?"

"Look at the bigger size and colour~ The BEAUTIFUL lines on the blade is truly a work of art! Don't you just feel it!?"

"(He is a major nut-case alright~)"

"Don't go! I will trade my 3rd item for 15 Victory Points. Come back when you have it alright?"

It's not like I have a choice! This sword is trash and gets outclassed by the one we found in the shrine. But the next items will be better, promise!

Okay, let's head south.

I guess getting the pass also disintegrated the blocking box?

We can't enter the mine for now, so let's keep on trucking.

The south also has a new encounter.

Nope

There is nothing special about them, and I'm just showing this since Caris leveled to five after this battle. She learned a defense buff for the whole party! I probably should stop rustling up randoms before I overshoot the curve too much. Sorry, but old RPG habits die slow. :)

Off to Southern Cray City!

When you enter the city, some very creepy music plays and a little scene starts.

"Well considering current situation, no one dare to walk alone."

"Ryle... You think someone's behind all this? Or just series of random violence?"

"Gotta be planned by someone in advance, targeting is too specific for a random case."

"Caris, you scared?"

"I'm fine! Unlike the girls around here, I am more trained..."

So, since there are horrible murders happening, everyone stays indoors and in groups. This also means that the shops aren't open. This is the first instance where the game isn't clear on how to proceed. There is no indication for it, but you actually have to rest at the Inn to continue.

Let's do that and then end the update.

"Because of recent incidents, please stay at the same room."

"Huh? Same room?? !! DOPE!!! (I haven't even thought about this!)"

Prepare for hilarity!

"Ok, fine."

"Waa? (How come she is so CALM?)"

"Come on, let's go! Ryle!"

Ryle is rather uneasy...

"What IS wrong with you?"

"What is wrong with ME?! You should know better than I do! If Shisho(Caris' dad) finds out we spent a night together, he's gonna kill me!"

"Not only that, if you try something funny, I don't know what's gonna happen to you~"

"Go home!! I rather be attacked by that killer now than facing Shisho!"

"What did YOU say?"

"Eek! She's mad! Just like her dad!"

Not really..

"On the other hand, Ryle might be lucky today?"

"HOW?!"

"I mean you'll be able to spend a night with a pretty gal like ME *smile* With good excuse."

"(It doesn't matter, Shisho will cut me in half! I'm sure of it...)"

During that night...

"I wanna sleep now~"

"Then I'll sleep on the hallway."

"...Am I...not attractive to you?"

Careful, Ryle...

"Eh? Umm...I don't know~"

"Nyahahaha~ I was joking! But you were for real!? Ryle is P E R V E R T *smile*"

:master:

"(WHY you little!)...Anyway! I'll sleep on the hallway! Shisho will haunt me even in the dream if I ever sleep near you!"

"But if you do that, one of us might get killed! You want me to die, is that it?!"

I kinda do.

"Ahhhhhh! Then what should I do?? Either way will get me killed!"

Then Ryle just flips the gently caress out..

Geeez :stare:

"Just give up and go to your bed!!"

"Nooooo- !"

During that night...one could hear a man's voice filled with utter horror from room#201...

"Sh-Shisho, it's a misunderstanding! I didn't do anything *frown* Forgive me please-"

"...I can not believe he's actually talking to daddy in the dream~ A boy scout!"

"I admit Caris is pretty, but I would not dare to do anything to her..."

"When you gonna end this nonsense! Are you listening to me?!"

"I swear to the heaven and the earth that I never..."

"Get your rear end up NOW!"

"OUCH!"

See what you did to Ryle, thread?

Next time: Solving those murders!

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 17, 2013

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Tin Tim posted:

See what you did to Ryle, thread?

Apparently sent him on an amazing trip. :stare:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

:allears:

I get it. This isn't a dating sim/rpg. It's a domestic abuse simulator.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I knew that was the right choice.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

this game is rpgmaker legend. I recall my favorite character being the uh well I guess I can not spoil. She has green hair I think.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I am really missing Latyss' "..." right about now.

And oh boy I really hate this trope.

"Oh we have to spend the night together. That's kind of awkward."
"Why...Do you want to gently caress me?"
"What?! No!"
"Aww so I'm not pretty enough!?"
"Yes you are!"
"Aww you're so sweet! I might have to reward you~"
"Are you serious?"
"No! You are such a PERV! GOD!"

:argh: :argh: The worst part is nobody EVER calls the girl out on this.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
This is what you get for not voting for an autistic elf.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

SSNeoman posted:

"What?! No!"
"Yes you are!"
"Are you serious?"

Meanwhile, in the alternate universe whereupon we picked Latyss:

"...?"
"What?! No!"
"..."
"Yes you are!"
"..."
"Are you serious?"
"..."

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I stand by my belief that Burnfist is always the right choice. :colbert:

Papstr
Oct 9, 2012
I'm getting some serious Riviera: The Promised Land vibes from this game. This Burnfist girl is pretty hilarious. Looking forward to insane doses of Anime in the future.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Some minor Japan version differences - the rubble and torches in the dungeon aren't there so the corridors are wider, which cuts off a step here and there but nothing meaningful. Also you can save anywhere, so no save points; and Ryle is actually visible in the switch room when you go to get the pass.

Seems pretty likely it's going to be near-identical but with worse graphics.

sky inn?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good luck enduring all this anime, Tin Tim. I'm pulling for you.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Glazius posted:

Good luck enduring all this anime, Tin Tim. I'm pulling for you.
:respek:

I just returned from a weekend with rafting, climbing and more dangerous poo poo in the Austrian mountains. Anime won't get me down :frogc00l:

alcharagia posted:

I knew that was the right choice.
Honestly, I never used Caris and wasn't that fond of her. But after seeing her next solo scene, she somewhat redeemed herself in my eyes.

SSNeoman posted:

You'll love what the game still has in store for us! And Latyss will get a lot more talkative when you take her along. The hotel scene is no less wacky though. Ryle is still struck by his fear of boobies and Latyss conjures a magic bubble around herself to prevent him from being naughty. Which in turn pushes him to the edge of the room, and prevents him from sleeping at all. :downs:

GulagDolls posted:

this game is rpgmaker legend. I recall my favorite character being the uh well I guess I can not spoil. She has green hair I think.
It's not too much of a spoiler since all of the girls are in the intro, but I still appreciate it when we don't talk about the later girls in detail.

Polsy posted:

Some minor Japan version differences
sky inn?
Thanks for the input! I'm still surprised that this game actually was translated and redone. I assume the dialog is much better in the original. At least I hope so. :)

The next part is mostly recorded and will probably be up during the next days.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I remembered wrong anyways. ~Fina~

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Thanks for the input! I'm still surprised that this game actually was translated and redone. I assume the dialog is much better in the original. At least I hope so. :)

I'm not sure I'd say much better but at least it (obviously) doesn't look like it was translated in the most Japanophile way possible. Though I wonder if that's part of the reason the translation got so much attention. Or at least why people still remember it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thank You For Being a Friend

Let's solve this murder case!

Like I said during the last update, the town has eerie music and everyone hides inside.

You can talk to all of the residents, but there is only one family that will make you progress.

:smith:

You have to talk to the woman in here.

"Pardon me Mamm...Could you please tell me anything you know about recent troubles?"

"And you are?"

"My name is Ryle, and I came from Lavas Ville of north. I am a traveler, also a swordsman."

I like to think that he hands her a business card.

"It happened about 5 days ago. My husband and his co-worker found a stone with rare colors."

"A stone? Where is it right now?"

"There's an old mine called Dannyon Mine. Southeast from here."

"So you mean these mysterious killings started after the stone was discovered?"

"Yes...so we asked Factoria Castle for help. But they didn't send anyone to investigate."

"The king denied the request?! Bakana!(how could this happen!)"

"......The nobles only cares for themselves. They wont even notice our demise...."

Eat the rich

"Those idiots! If the killing goes on, they will become the next targets!"

I like this line of reasoning. You should only help others so that nothing happens to yourself and not because it's the right thing to do. :thumbsup:

"Forget about them. I will go to that mine myself!"

"Please DON'T! It's too dangerous!!"

"If we don't stop the killer now, soon people will desert the city! And I will do it if the nobles won't."

Now you're thinking like a true hero! After a few more words, the woman hands out the key to the mine and I can keep on trucking.

In we go.

This dungeon is equally easy to navigate as the last one was. There a few dead ends with treasure, but that's about it.

The first chest is directly above the entrance.

I give that to Caris as it also reduces speed a bit. And defense is more useful for her.

The next part of the mine pretty much consists of looking where the tracks lead.

Of course, I also encounter more trash mobs.

Vipers are nothing special. They have an entangle attack that never succeeded and may also be able to poison you? At least they drop Antidotes upon death.

The next chest is pretty neat...

...as it contains a 1000 monies! :homebrew:

It's pretty convenient that the rope is lying in a chest a few steps away.

More walking happens.

"drat...I hate these wiggly caves!!"

"Looks like there's no end of this pathway."

There sure is, and we're almost there.

There is a savepoint here, and you can climb down if you have found the rope.

I expected spelunking to be more exciting.

I should be careful what I wish for...

But no worries. These are just stronger bats with more evade and a health-leech attack.

Eventually, I reach the end of the mine.

The game played a spooky sound right here....

"Was that from mysterious stone? The one which the lady told us. But what a strange feeling..."

"It's the dark wave emitted by evil spirits such as wraths. But why are they HERE?"

The more interesting question is how does Ryle know these things? :iiam:

"What are we gonna do? Go forward?"

A choice pops up here. If you remember the first choice with Caris, you should know that she isn't fond of overconfident machos. So the first line is right.

"Although it'll be dangerous ahead, but we should go forward. We'll retreat later if we must."

"We're facing wraths you know. They might take over one of us!"

"They are emitting such strong dark wave which means they already have taken over some monsters' body. So don't worry. They can take over ours."

Ryle is apparently a fully trained Ghostbuster now?

"Huh?"

"If the wrath leave the monster and take over one of us, the monster will attack us. So why would it become the prey on purpose?"

"Ah, that's right."

"Anyway let's avoid battles if we can, we came here to gather the information. Not to fight."

"OK!!"

Att:12 >>> 14

Our heroes automatically move into the cave..

"This is the stone! I can see the dark waves coming from within for sure..."

"!! Watch OUT! I sense something!"

Ahw, poo poo...

Okay, this is one of those cool fights that you can't win. Ryle magically knows that the Soul Eater is too strong to beat, but still wants to observe its power for 5 turns. Surviving is really not hard as both characters have defense buffs, so let's just advance time..

Caris gets away, but suddenly..

..Ryle gets attacked! :ohdear:

"Ooh! Arg-!!"

"Huh? Ryle!?"

"Arrg! (This SOB! It's pulling me in! So I'm it's next target...)"

Slowly but surely, Ryle gets pulled towards the stone...

"!! Now I get it. No wonder the Soul Eater attacks only 1 person at a time!"

"It has range limit and taking over 1 body takes a lot of energy from far away. So if other person interfere from far place like Southern Cray, it can't pull the victim to here!"

Must. not. think. too. hard. about. sense. :confused:

"Caris- ! Run to the Blue Bridge! I'll hold it up till then!"

"Wha...What on earth are you talking about!?"

"Go...quickly! If you stay here, it'll get both of us. So just go!!"

"But...Ryle!!"

"Don't come any closer!!"

"!!"

"Can't let you die here! Go...NOW!!"

"Somebody....please help us!"

This isn't going good at all!

"Urggg! Watch me! I'll hold you back until she's safe!! I won't give up that easily!! Arrg-!!"

SUDDENLY!

Whaa?

"CLARE RAY-!!"

And the Soul Eater dies with a loud shriek.

"Oowa!"

"Ryle!! You ok!?"

"Ah, but who used the spell!?"

Cue dreamy music...

I never understood this kind of dress. It must be uncomfortable and hella cold outside the sun. :rolleyes:

"....Orubia!?"

"Oh Dear Ryle..."

"Orubia! How did you come here?"

The whole gang is here!

"...."

:qq:

"You saved me just in time!! I was about to being devoured."

"My GOD-! I was SO, SO, SO, SO WORRIED about you!"

Totally got her in the bag :mmmhmm:

"I'm sorry....But it was man's job to protect...."

"To die in the eyes of girl. Is that it!?"

"OK! I got it! I won't do it again~ It's too much for me either!"

"....."

You know, with all the hate I'm giving Caris, this reaction is actually interesting and not a cliché.

"....Let's leave this place first."

Yeah, let's do that. And thank you for talking, Latyss. It really means a lot to me.

This events spits out one VP and two attraction points for each girl, I'll show their standing when we're back in town though.

"Why not right now?"

"It's early evening already."

"Eeh? But the sky is still bright."

She has a point!

"No! I meant...We need to rest."

Yeah, sure. Why the hell not!?

"You see?"

"How did it get dark so fast?"

"...."

"Can I get some sleep now? I'm so tired..."

Since this is the first time with the whole crew, let's take a look.

This screen isn't that informative, so have a look at the skills for the other two girls.

Orubia has healing, water and holy magic. Nothing special right now, but she's useful later due to being flexible and getting much stronger healing.

Aside from a small heal skill, Latyss has access to ice and wind magic. And, jfyi, that blast spell is the one she would have learned in the first dungeon. So she'll get it even if you don't take her.

Since both of them lag behind, I grind a level for each of them. Have their standard attack animations!

It's a neat detail that the battles have a slight color tint to match the previous bit about it being early evening.

Latyss learns the Freeze Wave skill, and I also encounter the next form of the Dasher. You're really glad about that, right? :)

"The hell with your name!! Because of your KIND, this game has become a comedy!"

Or a tragedy? :thejoke:

"I'll stride! No matter what they say! AIM to the TOP! (copy right/Gunbuster)"

"Better get rid of this moron before it does anything stupid~"

His pattern is the same, a few turns of buffing and then he does his big thing.

"Don't expect me to be as weakling as the Dasher! Now take this! "Aero Dash"!!"

"What THE?!"

"Superrrrrrr Daaaaash- !!"

"It's heading this way!"

"I don't think so! *dodge* "

"Noooooooooooo-!! *disappeared into the horizon* "

"Go hit a rock or somethin. You idiot!"

:bang:

At least he gives a bit of Xp and money this time.

Well, going back to town will flow into much more talking and we've had enough of that for now. Also, plot things are looming on the horizon and I want to pace that right. But don't worry, the next part is recorded&edited so I probably post it on the weekend.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 22, 2013

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well that sure was a sudden burst of competence from Ryle.

And that boss was pretty cool. Love the oversized scythe.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The sloppy translation and overuse of (Emotion or Action) may slowly drive me bonkers over the course of the LP, but I'll follow this for now.

SSNeoman posted:

"What?! No!"
"Yes you are!"
"Are you serious?"

Ah ha, it's pretty clear that at every stage in this quest so far (aside from the haunted mine), Caris has been just messing with Ryle's head for kicks. I actually like that.

I don't get the instant connection between "the miners found a pretty stone" and "the stone is the reason for the mystery killing spree." Then again, I guess that's because Ryle, unlike the usual cabbagehead protagonist actually knows things about spirits. Part of his training, maybe?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:pseudo: Vipers actually can't poison you.

Also, some further digging reveals that if you went with the elf instead, she threatens to freeze Ryle solid if he does something during the night, and eventually puts up a force field so he can't do anything. Oh, and the field is so big it keeps him squished flat against the wall for the rest of the night. Comedy!

You also don't get a choice before fighting the boss.

Rolling Start
Jan 11, 2012
Oh god, I was obsessed with this game back in sixth grade. The terrible jokes and the amount of anime bullshit are only going to get worse.

I can't wait until we reach the best character with the absolute worst translations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The sloppy translation and overuse of (Emotion or Action) may slowly drive me bonkers over the course of the LP, but I'll follow this for now.
Let me tell you about how transcribing this game feels... :saddowns:

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't get the instant connection between "the miners found a pretty stone" and "the stone is the reason for the mystery killing spree." Then again, I guess that's because Ryle, unlike the usual cabbagehead protagonist actually knows things about spirits. Part of his training, maybe?
I assume that it got lost in translation, but it is implied that the husband of the lady was one of the first victims. At least that is how I always understood it. So connecting the killings to a special occasion around him isn't that off. I mean, Ryle is clueless and thick more often than not, but he can be a really effective hero when he has to. Convenient, isn't it? :)

That whole ghost thing comes out of nowhere, but it does kinda makes sense if you recall some stuff from the intro. In a world where a big demon(Mahzok) war happened, such things are probably part of basic hero-training.

SSNeoman posted:

And that boss was pretty cool. Love the oversized scythe.
Yeah. There are a few neat sprites in this game, but my knowledge of RPG maker lore isn't good enough to say what's really OC. If anyone cares, the actual fight is pretty boring as the attacks from the Soul Eater are weak. After buffing my characters, they only took like 4Hp damage on average.

vilkacis posted:

:pseudo: Vipers actually can't poison you.
Ha! I always thought they could since they drop antidotes.

Rolling Start posted:

Oh god, I was obsessed with this game back in sixth grade. The terrible jokes and the amount of anime bullshit are only going to get worse.

I can't wait until we reach the best character with the absolute worst translations.
Stay with us and expierence it all over again! Actually, I'm surprised that multiple people know this game, and it's neat to have their input. Despite how much fun I'll poke at the writing and the outrageous amount of Anime, the technical side and systems in this game are pretty good! Even more so if you put it in the perspective of its time. The majority of games were poo poo back then (and still are), and RW was very sophisticated by comparison.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Well, I'm glad the mine got a graphical overhaul.

There's actually a couple of differing lines here which leaves me wondering if some lines actually were changed between versions.

Particularly
"No! I meant...We need to rest."
is just an emphatic 'It's early evening!' which seems like the kind of humour RM2KFanboy would stick with. Then Caris says it reminds her of a story she read, maybe that's some kind of reference.

Tin Tim posted:

Yeah. There are a few neat sprites in this game, but my knowledge of RPG maker lore isn't good enough to say what's really OC. If anyone cares, the actual fight is pretty boring as the attacks from the Soul Eater are weak. After buffing my characters, they only took like 4Hp damage on average.

Seems like everything that's in the Monsters directory within the game is original (everything else is in Monsters where you installed the RPGMaker RTP). Again there's a major improvement over the original version which only has 6 original monsters (one of them's Dasher), as opposed to the 88 in the translated version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Polsy posted:

Well, I'm glad the mine got a graphical overhaul.

:aaa:
It's really amazing what a little bit of shading and detail can do for a dungeon. Goddamn that single screenshit looks loving unbearable, I'd really hate to go through the rest of it.

• Locked thread