Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

God Of Paradise posted:

That game rules. I never knew it was panned. It was like new school Resident Evil, only awesome.

I bought Shadows of The Damned based soley on the fact that it was being talked about in this thread. It is a wild game! It's a lot of fun but sometimes I have a bit of trouble with the controls and the darkness can b a bit of a pain the rear end. Despite that, the game has amazing atmosphere and character.

I've been slogging through it because it's the sort of game you can only play at night with the lights down and so I don't have a helluva lot of time to play it but I oughta try and get through the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
The new Thief got medium/bad reviews from critics, and REALLY bad reviews from gamers, the latter of which consists of "waah this is so boring and repetitive stealing items, I'm sneaking around but there's no one there to discover me!!!!" Those are from amazon reviews. Yes, you MORON, the game is called "thief," meaning you stealthily steal poo poo, not go in guns blazing. Obviously people want/are used to FPS and not stealth games (I assume they would hate MGS1) but for Christ's sake, it's a stealth game. That's like me saying about call of duty "ugh there's too much shooting in multiplayer, why can't I quietly climb through a pipe and melee take down someone?!?!?" :qq:

The bad reviews make me worry that stealth games will entirely disappear and either turn into all FPS, or FPS with some optional stealth elements :(

I will admit though that the level maps are goddamn atrocious and loving useless. Thank god for the internet and one really good website that re-edited and labeled them.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"There's no one around to discover me" sounds like the most boring stealth game ever because there's absolutely no challenge or risk, so I have no idea how you got "NOT ENOUGH COMBAT" out of that

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

The bad reviews make me worry that stealth games will entirely disappear and either turn into all FPS, or FPS with some optional stealth elements :(

Two of the best games of the last few years were Dishonored and Splinter Cell: Blacklist while games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Gunpoint were also very well-received. Other games like Watch_Dogs, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and the Arkham series have had heavy stealth elements. Stealth games aren't going anywhere.

Thief 2014 is just a poo poo game.

EDIT: Oh and Amnesia and Outlast. Multiplayer survival games involve a lot of stealth as well, just not as structured. The Metro series. Ghost Recon Future Soldier.

1stGear has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Jun 4, 2014

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Der-Wreck posted:

I bought Shadows of The Damned based soley on the fact that it was being talked about in this thread. It is a wild game! It's a lot of fun but sometimes I have a bit of trouble with the controls and the darkness can b a bit of a pain the rear end. Despite that, the game has amazing atmosphere and character.

I've been slogging through it because it's the sort of game you can only play at night with the lights down and so I don't have a helluva lot of time to play it but I oughta try and get through the rest.

Make sure you stick around after the credits.

As genuinely terrible as the story was, I actually really enjoyed Star Ocean 3. The combo combat system was tons of fun and I loved how you could not only die from HP loss but MP loss as well. You couldn't just blast magic all over the place, and made MP draining abilities actually useful for the first time.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

1stGear posted:

Two of the best games of the last few years were Dishonored and Splinter Cell: Blacklist while games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Gunpoint were also very well-received. Other games like Watch_Dogs, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and the Arkham series have had heavy stealth elements. Stealth games aren't going anywhere.

The developers for both Deus Ex and Dishonored have all but promised that next gen sequels are on the way.

Speaking of Dishonored I love how all the food/health items littered around are really nasty tinned fish products. I love imaging Corvo doing all his bad rear end assassin business on a stomach full of oily fish guts and jellied eels.

*just realized this isn't the little things thread. Oh well.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Make sure you stick around after the credits.

As genuinely terrible as the story was, I actually really enjoyed Star Ocean 3. The combo combat system was tons of fun and I loved how you could not only die from HP loss but MP loss as well. You couldn't just blast magic all over the place, and made MP draining abilities actually useful for the first time.

I agree. For everything wrong with Star Ocean 3, it was fun to actually play. The crafting and some of the sidequest stuff were sorta bullshit, but once you got the hang of the combat it was awesome.

Irving
Jun 21, 2003
I own Half Life for the PS2 and I'm possibly the only person in the universe who didn't play it on the PC. I still haven't completed the single player mode. My fondest memories from college were playing Half Life as a female scientist with a bun on her head failing to open doors for my friend who was trapped in with a squad of grunts. It's hard to call it "poorly received" since I think it was more an issue of no one even knowing it existed, but Half Life: Decay is one of my favorite games ever.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Is it too early to say Watch Dogs? I know it's selling quickly but 8/10 average may as well be zero.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

leidend posted:

Is it too early to say Watch Dogs? I know it's selling quickly but 8/10 average may as well be zero.

Considering that it is literally the best-selling new IP at launch across the entire videogame industry, I would say that it's a bit of a stretch to call it "poorly-recieved", yes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'll throw my hat in for Shadows of the Damned too. I'll give anything from Suda51 a shot and the game has a lot of atmosphere and charm, even if it doesn't do anything that new or interesting from a gameplay perspective. It's less than the sum of its parts considering who worked on it but it's still a good experience.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Considering that it is literally the best-selling new IP at launch across the entire videogame industry, I would say that it's a bit of a stretch to call it "poorly-recieved", yes.

It will sell well since it's been anticipated for so long, but long term consensus will be either "meh" or "it is poo poo" since it does little to leave a lasting impression once you realize the hacking skills aren't that great.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

After reading through the thread, it's time for me to throw in my recollection of underrated and poorly-received games.

As was already mentioned in the thread, Star Wars: Rebellion was awesome, and I sunk countless hours into cornering the rebels on a single planet in the outer rim, and then systematically blowing up my own planets with the Death Star just because I could.

Metal Fatigue was also mentioned already, and despite the game being buggy and impossible to get running on modern systems (:(), I love it to death. Slicing off mecha arms and capturing enemy technology to increase my giant robot customization options never got old.

The first RPG I ever played was Quest 64, and despite looking incredibly primitive, having very few interesting characters to speak of, dozens of useless spells, and being babby's-first-RPG-level easy.. I love the game to death and still do.

Another unpopular RPG was Unlimited Saga, the only SaGa game I played (outside of Final Fantasy Legends 2 and 3). The mechanics were confusing as poo poo, everything in combat (and a lot of stuff outside of combat, too) revolved around slot-like reels, bosses were hard as balls, and I never beat it without heavy cheating and emulation. I still love it and the beautifully painted spritework (despite the low frame count).

Kengo: Master of Bushido was a PS2 game I rented fairly often in which you trained in the art of bushido, improving your stats through training minigames, challenged schools for the right to use their swords/forms, and took part in tournaments. It even let you customize your own forms, and was a good deal of fun.

Finally, Extermination for the PS2 was the first survival horror game I've played. As par for the survival horror course, the voice acting was awful, the controls clunky and difficult, graphics mediocre, and the story ultimately left me incredibly frustrated. There were more interesting ways they could've taken it, though the final boss battle was somewhat unique, to say the least.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Seeing the pretty awesome-looking sequel at E3 reminded me that I really liked Homefront. I never actually got to try the multiplayer which was supposedly pretty solid and I suspect that by the time I got around to buying it from the bargain bin at Gamestop that everyone had already abandoned it for Battlefield 3 and whichever CoD was current, but the single-player was really fun. Maybe I'm just biased because I really like "invasion of the US" stories like this, Red Dawn, and World in Conflict so I can indulge my inner :freep: but I thought it had some fun shooting mechanics, a decent story as far as shooters go (the intro video even managed to place "North Korea invades the US because China would ban the game if we used China as the villains" into a vaguely plausible scenario--at least to the point where I can suspend my disbelief and accept it), and the campaign had some pretty cool setpieces, like the fight with the survivalists or the battle on the Golden Gate Bridge.

Of course, I can understand why it faded into obscurity in a market oversaturated with modern military shooters, and if I hadn't bought it for like 7 bucks and had low expectations for it maybe I wouldn't be so kind. But I thought it was a good way to kill a few hours.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Seeing the pretty awesome-looking sequel at E3 reminded me that I really liked Homefront. I never actually got to try the multiplayer which was supposedly pretty solid and I suspect that by the time I got around to buying it from the bargain bin at Gamestop that everyone had already abandoned it for Battlefield 3 and whichever CoD was current, but the single-player was really fun. Maybe I'm just biased because I really like "invasion of the US" stories like this, Red Dawn, and World in Conflict so I can indulge my inner :freep: but I thought it had some fun shooting mechanics, a decent story as far as shooters go (the intro video even managed to place "North Korea invades the US because China would ban the game if we used China as the villains" into a vaguely plausible scenario--at least to the point where I can suspend my disbelief and accept it), and the campaign had some pretty cool setpieces, like the fight with the survivalists or the battle on the Golden Gate Bridge.

What part of Kim Jong-un being such an amazing and charismatic leader that he convinces South Korea to rejoin North Korea, then going on to conquer the rest of East Asia before using a magical EMP satellite to knock out the US' (and only the US') power supply so they can invade from the west coast until the US irradiates the Mississippi River in order to stop their advance was believable

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

It got more mixed reviews as opposed to poor ones, but as much as I still hate the clunky control scheme the King's Field games hold a special place in my heart. The massive amount of secrets and little details combined with the lack of hand-holding make them really engaging and immersive blobbers with a legitimate feeling of tension that tends to last through the whole game.

The running gag of instant death traps within 5 minutes into the game is always amusing, as well.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

The new Thief got medium/bad reviews from critics, and REALLY bad reviews from gamers, the latter of which consists of "waah this is so boring and repetitive stealing items, I'm sneaking around but there's no one there to discover me!!!!" Those are from amazon reviews. Yes, you MORON, the game is called "thief," meaning you stealthily steal poo poo, not go in guns blazing. Obviously people want/are used to FPS and not stealth games (I assume they would hate MGS1) but for Christ's sake, it's a stealth game. That's like me saying about call of duty "ugh there's too much shooting in multiplayer, why can't I quietly climb through a pipe and melee take down someone?!?!?" :qq:

I will admit though that the level maps are goddamn atrocious and loving useless. Thank god for the internet and one really good website that re-edited and labeled them.

I'm sure there are people who've never played a stealth game and were disappointed about this, but I thought the fans of the original Thief games would be more vocal in their dislike of the new one.

I know these guys are, at least.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Alouicious posted:

What part of Kim Jong-un being such an amazing and charismatic leader that he convinces South Korea to rejoin North Korea, then going on to conquer the rest of East Asia before using a magical EMP satellite to knock out the US' (and only the US') power supply so they can invade from the west coast until the US irradiates the Mississippi River in order to stop their advance was believable

You are talking to someone who liked the movie Red Dawn.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Of course, I can understand why it faded into obscurity in a market oversaturated with modern military shooters, and if I hadn't bought it for like 7 bucks and had low expectations for it maybe I wouldn't be so kind. But I thought it was a good way to kill a few hours.

yeah i sorta liked that game too. it had a ton of issues and apparently because of developer/publisher conflicts was hosed from the beginning. but i liked the overall idea of it. The beginning levels are pretty good, but it degrades from there. i want to see how crytek handles the games. I like alt-history/alt future games so it should be fun.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Alouicious posted:

I thought it was that the US's economic recession took a turn for the worst, forcing them to withdraw troops from South Korea and Japan, which North Korea then conquered militarily? If he did just convince them to join, then I take it back. I also forgot that he took over SE Asia as well, my recollection was that it was just the Koreas and Japan, which was enough to attack a US crippled by economic collapse and disease. So okay, maybe I should take back that bit about it being believable. But the game itself was still fun. :colbert:

Decrepus posted:

You are talking to someone who liked the movie Red Dawn.

Hey now, the original was cheesy 80s action at its best.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

I thought it was that the US's economic recession took a turn for the worst, forcing them to withdraw troops from South Korea and Japan, which North Korea then conquered militarily? If he did just convince them to join, then I take it back. I also forgot that he took over SE Asia as well, my recollection was that it was just the Koreas and Japan, which was enough to attack a US crippled by economic collapse and disease. So okay, maybe I should take back that bit about it being believable. But the game itself was still fun. :colbert:

http://homefront.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline
"Kim Jong-un achieves in negotiating peace between North and South Korea, forming the foundation for the Greater Korean Republic. He also receives the Nobel Peace Prize for his accomplishment of Korean reunification.[7] "

And they kept touting this game's story is plausible. :lol:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

From what I can tell of the new Homefront, they're are going straight for "the Koreans have loving alien technology okay don't question it just shoot!"

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

http://homefront.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline
"Kim Jong-un achieves in negotiating peace between North and South Korea, forming the foundation for the Greater Korean Republic. He also receives the Nobel Peace Prize for his accomplishment of Korean reunification.[7] "

And they kept touting this game's story is plausible. :lol:

Okay, yeah, I totally take it back then. I don't know how I misremembered so badly, it's like my mind conjured up something vaguely plausible so it wouldn't have to think about "one of the world's most persistent, tense conflicts is solved almost immediately by the words of a single dude convincing South Korea to submit itself to North Korea peacefully."

Punished Chuck has a new favorite as of 16:11 on Jun 17, 2014

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
It's also enlightening to ask what, exactly, China and Russia were doing while the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere reassembled itself.

Also, wasn't bird flu involved somehow?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

John Magnum posted:

Also, wasn't bird flu involved somehow?

Yeah, they tried to make the story "plausible" by pulling as much absurd poo poo as possible to stack the deck in favour of NK (just disregard the fact that a pandemic would almost certainly gently caress North Korea much, much harder than the States).

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Lotish posted:

From what I can tell of the new Homefront, they're are going straight for "the Koreans have loving alien technology okay don't question it just shoot!"

Isn't that just Crysis?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've only been playing it about a week or so, but I've sort of become addicted to Bandfuse

I can't put my finger on a specific thing as I'm sure just about every metric that could compare it to Rocksmith has Bandfuse looking like the lesser of the two. But in its defense, it has an extremely easy menu system for finding what you want to do and the music videos are a fun little addition that I think might make it more tolerable in a party setting where you've got something sort of interesting to watch while other people are taking turns.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Okay, yeah, I totally take it back then. I don't know how I misremembered so badly, it's like my mind conjured up something vaguely plausible so it wouldn't have to think about "one of the world's most persistent, tense conflicts is solved almost immediately by the words of a single dude convincing South Korea to submit itself to North Korea peacefully."

At the very least if such a man will ever exist, it won't be Kim Jong-un.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Captain Mog posted:

Phantasmagoria was pretty much one of the most well-loved games of my childhood, and certainly one of my favorite PC games of all time. Its "real-life" graphics and interactive movie interface make it seem quite dated by today's standards, but it is still very much playable and enjoyable. It's essentially a video game version of "The Shining", complete with a haunted manor, a helpless female protagonist, a crazed demon possessed husband, and a sinister occult backstory. Horror fans will find it very much worth their while to track down a copy of the game, as it's one of the best and most underrated of its genre.

I LP'd this last year if you're at all interested.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3566654

As for my picks, I'll jump on the Final Fantasy X/X-2 wagon. I love everything about X (except Tidus, gently caress his whiny voice), and X-2 is just such goofy fun that I can't be mad at it.

And here's one that I haven't seen mentioned.

Everyone I knew loving hated this game (with the exception of the introduction of Rosa), but it had loving skeletons riding motorcycles, your opinion is wrong!

Ramensaurus
Mar 25, 2012

His name is RA-MEN SAURUS
He is urchin has many curiosity
but he is a person
who makes much of good Looks.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

As for my picks, I'll jump on the Final Fantasy X/X-2 wagon. I love everything about X (except Tidus, gently caress his whiny voice), and X-2 is just such goofy fun that I can't be mad at it.

Everyone I knew loving hated this game (with the exception of the introduction of Rosa), but it had loving skeletons riding motorcycles, your opinion is wrong!

That game (Castlevania on the N64) single-handedly convinced me as a teenager that I no longer enjoyed video games and I stopped playing them for 4-5 years until after college. That's how bad that game was (to me).

Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

When I was a kid, Mario's Time Machine was definitely one of my favorite PC games. It was probably due to the fact that I was one of those kids who really loved learning, so I never felt that this game was boring. Also, at a time when all of my history/social studies classes were firmly centered on American history alone, it was my first introduction to non-American figures like Joan of Arc, Galileo, and Louis Pasteur. I also remember it for its ending, in which Mario visits the game's production team in order to prevent Bowser from keeping the game made.

I won't deny that, compared to other "edutainment" games, this is a poor game. But I was both educated and entertained, so I can't bring myself to hate it.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Circle of the Moon was far and away the superior N64 Castlevania game :colbert: You played as a goddamn werewolf.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Circle of the Moon was far and away the superior N64 Castlevania game :colbert: You played as a goddamn werewolf.

You mean Legacy of Darkness. Circle of the Moon was the first GBA game (Which did in fact own tho)

(:goonsay:)

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

RagnarokAngel posted:

You mean Legacy of Darkness. Circle of the Moon was the first GBA game (Which did in fact own tho)

(:goonsay:)

Yes, yes I do. Circle of the Moon blew. Legacy of Darkness was great though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yes, yes I do. Circle of the Moon blew. Legacy of Darkness was great though.

I will e-fight you.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

RagnarokAngel posted:

I will e-fight you.

I'll be your tag team partner.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

RagnarokAngel posted:

I will e-fight you.

It could not live up the example set by the N64 Castlevania games of motorcycle skeletons and Frankenstein's monster chasing you through a hedgemaze with a chainsaw.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Frankenstein's monster chasing you through a hedgemaze with a chainsaw.

I forgot about that fucker! Worse than that rear end in a top hat in RE4.

At least you could kill that particular rear end in a top hat.

Another poorly received game that I loving loved was Evil Dead: A Fistful of Boomstick. It had great little nods to the series, and Bruce Campbell in top form.

But gently caress Evil Dead: Hail to the King, that thing was completely unplayable.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Neurion posted:

The first RPG I ever played was Quest 64, and despite looking incredibly primitive, having very few interesting characters to speak of, dozens of useless spells, and being babby's-first-RPG-level easy.. I love the game to death and still do.

Finally, another person that enjoyed Quest 64! They were really primitive but I remember really liking the "branching" skill trees and the weird mix of turn-based/real-time combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I forgot about that fucker! Worse than that rear end in a top hat in RE4.

I'd say it was more like the Nemesis from RE3. And it was awesome and one of my favorite sequences of any Castlevania that I've ever played.

• Locked thread