Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I am of the opinion that Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts would have been a breakaway hit if not for the hamfisted attempt to mold a beloved franchise into something it's not. The rest of the game is genuinely challenging, fun, and creative. The physics are wonky and hard to get used to, but fits how ridiculously vehicle designs can get out of control and still maintain balance.

The game starts off with having you build simple things, little racecars, cargo trucks, motorcycles, it's not long before you're building biplanes, cargo helicopters complete with crane, giant soccerball gathering/kicking devices, multi-staged rockets, batmobile-esque tanks that can disconnect into a more mobile bike that also has retractible wings for gliding, supersick backflipping school busses with monster truck wheels and flamethrowers, balloon powered orbital death cannons, or simply a vehicles whose only conveyance is springs so you just pogo stick to wherever you need. The levels are expansive and fun to play around in, if a little hollow at times, and the soundtrack is great, despite it mostly being re-orchestrations of previous BK themes. Honestly it's my favorite, and drat near only, game for the 360.

Oh, and if you get good enough, you can also make mechs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

To my knowledge, Mass Effect was the first time any big, hyped game trilogy actually worked out. Penny Arcade technically finished their game trilogy, but the third one was a low-budget faux-retro RPG made by like one guy just so they could say they finished it.

And really, as much as people bitch about this gen's DLC and pre-order bonuses .Hack is still one of the most egregious cases of milking consumers I've ever seen. If you remove all the padding there was one game's worth of content in there, at most. I enjoyed what I played of the first game but eventually I got tired of the filler quests and the obvious teasing of elements that wouldn't show up until the future installments and just played Dark Cloud 2.

I was gonna say Xenosaga got finished but a quick google revealed they had 6 games lined up. It was impressive they got as far as they did considering the amount of time it took to finish just one of them.

Also, there are four games in Penny Arcade's 'trilogy' because I imagine they found out that the retro, pandering, corner-cutting method got them better profit margins.

• Locked thread