Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

shock.wav posted:

Freedom Fighters
I think this is one is a cult classic because I've heard nothing but praise whenever its mentioned so I don't think it really applies.

Mine is Rule of Rose, it got burned critically and to be honest I don't fault them for it and anyone who couldn't stand playing it. It really isn't a game for everyone; its clunky as hell, glacially paced, and its means of storytelling can be rather obtuse at times but its still one of my favorites because despite its flaws I find its atmosphere and story to be among the finest around when it comes to video games. Very few games captured the same tone of haunting despair that Rule of Rose did.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 20:15 on May 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Another one of mine is Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. It actually got some good reception from critics but fans just love to hate it. Its got it fair share of flaws, it had some poor writing here and there, i.e. anything out of Kaufman's mouth is usually ridiculous; Liquid Snake had a better understanding of genetics than Kaufman does to psychology and he's supposed to be a professional. Also the chase scenes are pretty lacking and could have been given more depth. Overall though when it did good it did it well. It had a strong atmosphere and despite its pitfalls its story had a really nice ending. It was more of a psychological thriller than horror but it still captured the series' spirit at its best and its the closet the series has come to the emotional resonance of SH2. In retrospect it kind of feels like a spiritual predecessor to Walking Dead, not as well written and more rough, but the whole goal to immersing the player into the story is there. Shattered Memories may have failed to really pull off all its ambitions but it still succeeded enough to not deserve the hate it gets.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 19:12 on May 14, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Twitch posted:

Even if it arguably went too far into being a comedy, I thought Shadow Hearts: From the New World was a decent enough sequel. It didn't really improve on Covenant (which would be near impossible anyway), but it changed up the playable characters enough that it was still fun to play.
I'd say it has the best combat system in the series, its just that the game just kind of falls apart plotwise once you get to South America and the characters don't really develop or interact all that much with each other after that point. It also felt a little bit too much stock JRPG in comparison to its predecessors. Still a good game though I still need to beat it. I want a Shadow Hearts 4 so bad, there's so much they could still do.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It hit a few of the right notes for me, and had the best battle music in the series, but the balance tipped over from absurd to outright wacky. There was an interesting story in there, but it's easy to forget when you've got a subplot about a giant cat who wants to make a movie and, by the way, the cat used to be Al Capone's advisor and BFF. I wanted to see more of that side of things, in all honesty - prohibition-era gangsters fighting off demons? Tell me that doesn't peak your interest and I'll call you a goddamn liar.
I agree, they really dropped the ball when it came to what they did with the time period and setting. Lovecraft was a major influence for the series and Lovecraft is even a character in 3 but they really don't take advantage of having the game take place in the time and setting of Lovecraft's stories. They could have had your party of goofballs trying to stop the Order of Dagon from resurrecting Cthulhu or something but instead we get two really bland reject JRPG villains and the Penguin and stock JRPG plot of running to different temples to unlock seals. The three of them just paled in comparison to Simon and Kato.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Jun 1, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Suffering did well enough to get a sequel, but I thought it was utterly inferior in almost every way to the first. I agree that the first game was a lot better and more subtle than one would think at first glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

poptart_fairy posted:

I think my favourite implication as about the main character's ability to turn into a hulking, ravenous beast as a sort of 'kill everything' mode: extraneous fluff, which is extremely easy to miss, implies he's not actually changing - he's just flipping the gently caress out and terrifying people around him. They never directly answer the question of whether he does or not, with friendly NPC comments being similarly ambiguous about what's happening.
They actually blatantly revealed this in the original opening but they smartly scrapped it and turned into a bonus chapter after you beat the game instead.

• Locked thread