Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Very much looking forward to Odin going fully apeshit, as expected of a Norse deity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Wondance is now releasing monthly and it's back to the tense world of competition.
N 2 Gether Now - Limp Bizkit feat. Method Man | Dancer: Larry Nicolas Bourgeois
Dababy - Suge (yea yea) | Chorography by Jake Kodish

Hypocrisy posted:

Lu Bu was blocking blows from Mjolnir just fine and blocked and countered Thor's Hammer without any trouble (we don't see exactly what happens but Lu Bu stayed close to slash Thor's chest so I don't think he dodged). Now, when Mjolnir "woke up" Lu Bu got his legs broken but it's not like Shiva has done more than toss out some punches and do a throw.
My point is about how "even" both fighters are. Lu Bu could block Thor but he's blocking most of the time with his Volund which was being established as stupidly powerful and capable of harming the Gods. And I think we both can agree that if he hadn't dodged or deflected Thor's first big Swing he'd be dead. Raiden however isn't blocking with his tattoos he's taking this with his body and surviving. Everyone save Adam needed to not get directly hit by a god because they just aren't that durable. It's still impressive that Lu could even contest Thor in strength in the several clashes they had but Raiden is actually coming out on top right now even though this fight is happening offscreen. In addition to that Raiden is also chunking the body of a God through his own raw force, Lu Bu got a nice slash on Thor but nothing he delivered was particularly deep. For someone who is supposed to have been the "strongest human" his loss was definitely used to show how humanity couldn't hope to just be stronger than the Gods. When both parties went all out Lu Bu couldn't stand up, even astride his legendary steed and channeling the Golden Ratio.

Lu Bu was impressive, but he didn't actually do a whole lot to his opponents and certainly didn't deliver a crippling injury like Shiva's now bum arm has sustained.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brought To You By posted:

Wondance is now releasing monthly and it's back to the tense world of competition.
N 2 Gether Now - Limp Bizkit feat. Method Man | Dancer: Larry Nicolas Bourgeois
Dababy - Suge (yea yea) | Chorography by Jake Kodish

thanks for posting these; I've looked a few times for dance videos to help visualize what they're doing in the manga but it's all kind of a big unknown to me and I don't really know what to search for to find good ones so this is helpful.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

thanks for posting these; I've looked a few times for dance videos to help visualize what they're doing in the manga but it's all kind of a big unknown to me and I don't really know what to search for to find good ones so this is helpful.

My pleasure, the whole reason I attach them to my posts is because I'm also using them as reference for how the comic would look in motion. You can usually get good results by putting in the [song name] + [Artist] + Dance or Dance Choreography into a search engine. Youtube has given me good results.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I caught up with the latest translated chapters of the Hibiki manga. I've long thought it was one of the best manga out there but the latest arc has expanded its focus from just the publishing world to the media industry generally. At the same time it comes packed with subtle criticism of society's treatment of gender and age.

It's really ingenious for this series about book publishing to be in manga form. As a novel, it would be too easy to include passages from Hibiki's writing, to illustrate what it is that makes her such a talent. This would spoil the trick. It's less natural to include a long passage on a page dominated by images, so it doesn't feel odd that the reader is never actually shown any of Hibiki's writing. I also love the subtle villainy of Ryosuke. On the one hand, it's hard to believe he will succeed into making Hibiki his dream wife, especially considering her strong personality. However she seems to give such little thought to her future you can almost see how he could somehow maneuver her down a quotidian path, subtly stifling her ambitions in the process (especially since she seems to have no strongly expressed long-term ambitions. Her strong will comes out more through instinctive actions.) He acts as a perfect stand in for a traditional male view of what a women should be (homemaker) and he just lingers there. Never really acknowledged as some dangerous entity, but ever present and seemingly benign to much of the cast.

Apparently the manga has already finished in Japan, so it's just a matter of waiting for the translators to get around to the rest of it. I'm kind of amazed more people haven't flooded to read/translate it especially after all the awards its won and its endorsement by Oda.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Next week we're gonna find out Shiva broke his own arm because he's god of destruction, and it focuses his power in the remaining ones.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Stories like Hibiki wouldn't really work if you have to actually show the genius miracle work, regardless of the medium. It is easier to just tell that her writing is so profound to wow basically all of Japan, let alone top editors and authors, than to actually provide examples.

Otherwise it'd likely break the illusion since the actual examples wouldn't really measure up to the premise.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
started rereading the gods vs human manga i can't exactly remember the name of and ignoring simo hayha for obvious reasons which human is everyone looking forward to seeing fight the most from those that are left?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

started rereading the gods vs human manga i can't exactly remember the name of and ignoring simo hayha for obvious reasons which human is everyone looking forward to seeing fight the most from those that are left?

King Leonidas and Rasputin.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Jose posted:

Nostradamus, unless he foresees his own death like in that one episode of Celebrity Deathmatch.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Leonidas seems like it could be pretty neat

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Now that it's established Buddha wants humans to win, will he be matched against a human that wants the gods to win?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I wonder if Buddha would want humanity to win since the gods cease to exist, which presumably would be something like achieving Nirvana?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jose posted:

Qin Shi Huang, that's gonna be interesting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
basically, everyone except the japanese swordsmen seem interesting.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jose posted:

Rasputin for sure. I can already imagine him surviving some serious bullshit.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Julias posted:

Rasputin for sure. I can already imagine him surviving some serious bullshit.
I want to see how long he lasts against actual death god Anubis.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I wonder if Buddha would want humanity to win since the gods cease to exist, which presumably would be something like achieving Nirvana?

Isn't Buda technically human as well? I thought Buda's story was about a human who one day started praying, did that forever and then woke up in tune with nature?
I always thought that he wasn't a God in the traditional sense.

Rasputin should be funny.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Darth TNT posted:

Isn't Buda technically human as well? I thought Buda's story was about a human who one day started praying, did that forever and then woke up in tune with nature?
I always thought that he wasn't a God in the traditional sense.

Rasputin should be funny.

Buddha was human, then became Buddha.

Hercules was also human iirc.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

That Works posted:

Yeah. Heracles's fight included the series' version of how he became a god too.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Yeah. Heracles's fight included the series' version of how he became a god too.

And that traitor got better than what he deserved in the end getting Jack's respect. Buddha setting a good example of how the former-human dieties should be acting.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Chapter 35 of shuumatsu no valkyrie just popped

https://mangadex.org/chapter/979885/1

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

verbal enema posted:

Could this be...the power of friendship?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Shiva bout to get that shounen friendship power boost.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Shiva bout to get that shounen friendship power boost.

This fight is going to leave me unsatisfied. I want Shiva to lose because it would be funny for him to get his time to shine and job. But I want Shiva to win because look at this handsome face and tell me he doesn't deserve it?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Raiden is pretty boring, so I would be completely OK with Shiva winng this one.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

verbal enema posted:

I feel like I need to watch more sumo.

That Works posted:

Buddha was human, then became Buddha.

Thank you for clearing that up. Buddha is Buddha, but was human. Which would, like Heracles, explain his (apparent) love of humanity.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Lt. Lizard posted:

Raiden is pretty boring, so I would be completely OK with Shiva winng this one.

It is kind of funny how collected and serious Raiden is. He's not a combat junkie at all while Shiva is a hot blooded shonen protagonist willing to risk it all for the thrill of battle.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Raiden owns how dare you

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

He kinda feels like a baki character
Espevially with how hes introduced

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Amazing how they made one third of the Trimurti feel like a lovable underdog against a sumo wrestler with a muscular condition. If the fate of mankind wasn't at stake, Shiva would absolutely look like a put-upon hero fighting against all odds.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I think it is pretty lame that every sumo wrestler we've seen looks like the stereotypical sumo dude, but Raiden is a super shredded body builder.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He kinda feels like a baki character
Espevially with how hes introduced

The sick Indian Burn he delivered solidifies him as the standin for Hanayama: born just stronger than other people and a righteous figure in portrayal. Which means I know how this fight is going to end perfectly.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Supersonic Shine posted:

Amazing how they made one third of the Trimurti feel like a lovable underdog against a sumo wrestler with a muscular condition. If the fate of mankind wasn't at stake, Shiva would absolutely look like a put-upon hero fighting against all odds.

That’s just because he hasn’t pulled out one of his ridiculous weapons yet.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Any currently run series involving cooking or food besides Bambino Second?

I hate that I keep reading it but the food/restaurant industry is one of my favorite subjects and there's not much out I've read that either isn't already finished or getting like 1-2 chapters a year (rip Nobonaga Chef).

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Do people still keep up with [url=https://mangadex.org/title/10271/ballroom-e-youkoso[/url]? The author's health improved and she returned to the series like a year ago and has finally reached the point in which the anime ended. Since I hadn't seen it myself all this is quite exciting on the re-read especially this very expected outcome to Chinatsu and Tatara's partnership.

Best girl still taking the initiative in this partnership :woop:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Usogui is very confusing but im having fun

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
OUT has been back for a few weeks and once again poo poo is still ramping up!

the translator is talking about maybe retiring the series after this volume which sucks poo poo though and i really hope they dont

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm reading asperger's girl and just reached the chapter where they talk about their fetishes and I cringed so hard I became a singularity

I love how much of the chapter is given to her reaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Kemono Jihan 45

Time for the hyperbolic time...gourd. Kabane’s method for climbing the mountain is hilarious.

EDIT: Oh woops this is Shounen.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 20, 2020