Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Baja Mofufu posted:

I posted in the newbie thread asking about Mint vs. YNAB before I saw there was a new budgeting thread! (Thanks for the new thread, OP.) Anyway I was just wondering, for people who have used both: How much time do you spend on each per day?

Every purchase I make, big or small, I pull my phone out and record the transaction (price, category, comment if I feel like it). Every few days or once a week I open up YNAB on the computer and review the transactions and approve ("clear") them. At the end of the month I pull out a calculator and check if the money I actually have matches up with what YNAB thinks I should have, and if not I fix it with the reconciliation feature.

It's a very fast process. You just need to get used to recording everything, even that 25 cent piece of candy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

EN Bullshit posted:

I don't know what a health line is or why I would budget for it. If there's something unexpected that requires medical attention, isn't that an emergency? And if medical attention isn't required then it's not happening. Boom, no need for health line.

Um, no? There's budgeting for copays, prescriptions, random bottles of ibuprofen at the supermarket, glasses/contacts if you wear them, random "oh poo poo I think I have a cavity" trips to the dentist (although you should really just budget for regular checkups to the dentist), regular physicals, etc, etc etc. All of these things are non-emergencies and should be budgeted for.

You're also forgetting a gifts budget. Birthdays, Christmas, etc.

e: If you're only gonna be out there for 2-3 months then why not just be a roommate rather than finding one. Moving is expensive man. You're going to realize all sorts of things that you need but don't have if you're moving into a place alone. You're gonna need dishes and flatware, you're gonna need a pan and a pot, you're gonna need cleaning supplies and vacuums/mops, the list goes on. If you're really just going to live somewhere for 3 months max then it's really not worth it to move and buy all this stuff at once and then move it all again. Plus all the deposits you're gonna have to put in. Also I don't think you're going to find a place that rents out for 3 month contracts. I mean if you have history with a place I'm sure they'd be willing to work with you month to month after you contract lapses.

What about renter's insurance? Health insurance? Don't see those on your list either.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 23, 2014

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

spwrozek posted:

Clarification would be good but if he is pulling down $50k+ a year he is probably getting it through work.

I put $2k into my HSA, work puts in $1k and I don't even bother looking at it. I would say most people budget off of take home not gross. So all those pretax items are off budget (HSA, 401k, insurance premiums, bus pass, etc).

Yeah but work usually doesn't pay for it entirely in my experience. Wikipedia says they typically cover 75% of the premiums and leaves you with the rest.

Mercaptopropyl posted:

lol just because health is a priority to you doesn't mean it is to everyone else. I know plenty of people who have never been to a doctor or a dentist in their lives or since they were infants. They'd never go save for an absolute emergency. And some of those same people are excellent at managing their finances.

edit: also, what sprowzek said.

And these people are stupid. What's your point?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Mercaptopropyl posted:

You were talking about copays, prescriptions, glasses, and things he does not plan on needing barring an emergency.

PhantomOfTheCopier addressed the same exact thing you did but actually made it relevant and useful for the guy, and made him think about things he hadn't really considered before. You could have made the same points you did but actually made them relevant to the poster your were responding to.

Nobody plans on getting a cold or getting in a car accident or being diagnosed with cancer. I don't understand what your point is.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I think he said these are biweekly figures. I do the same, I budget per paycheck so if my phone bill is $30/month then I just put aside/mark (earmark?) (30*12/26) per paycheck to keep it easy like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

For gas and electricity, I bet if you dug into the power company's website there'll be a document explaining the convoluted way they charge you. There'll probably be fixed monthly fees and like 30 line schedule items that charge per kWh. What I did was just make a new sheet in my budget spreadsheet and plugged in my monthly kWh usage and then extrapolated my next months taking into account of weather/season, and then used that number to calculate what they'd charge me based on how they charge.

Yeah it's probably more complicated than just taking an average and looking at last year but what can I enjoy this kinda stuff.

• Locked thread