Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Summary:

quote:

Yukihira Souma's dream is to become a full-time chef in his father's restaurant and surpass his father's culinary skill. But just as Yukihira graduates from middle schools his father, Yukihira Jouichirou, closes down the restaurant to cook in Europe. Although downtrodden, Souma's fighting spirit is rekindled by a challenge from Jouichirou which is to survive in an elite culinary school where only 10% of the students graduate. Can Souma survive?

Shokugeki no Soma is a fairly recent addition to Weekly Shonen Jump with only 22 chapters out at the moment. It's a comedy/cooking/battle manga. The battles, called Shokugeki, are cooking battles similar to that of an Iron Chef contest. They take place between students to gain rank in the school and to settle disputes. It has similarities with Yakitate! Japan in that the reactions to the food are way over the top but instead of reacting with puns they react to the deliciousness of the food.

A reaction to the food.

"Mito Ikumi's Sensibility shines the most when she's touching meat .... A Meat Sonata"

One thing that may not be for everyone is the reactions tend to be full of fan-service. While this is the one thing that I feel is bad about the manga the rest is great. The art is beautiful, the story is good, the characters are lively, and if you are a food nerd like me the dishes are cool and interesting.

Characters:

Yukihira Souma: The Main Man

Tadokoro Megumi: The Side Kick

Erina Nakiri: The Rival

Useful Links:
Scans:
Batoto
Manga Traders
Manga Here

Wiki:
http://shokugekinosoma.wikia.com/wiki/Shokugeki_no_SOMA_Wiki

Mountain Lightning fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

arisu posted:

I read this a few weeks ago. It doesn't make me laugh like Yakitate did :(

Yeah the comedy aspect of Yakitate! was the puns and the reactions based on those. This is more of a battle manga with some comedy bits thrown in and crazy food orgasms.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

InShaneee posted:

I've liked what I've read so far, but they're going to have to do something to keep the tension up as the series progresses. Almost all of Souma's battles so far have been won effortlessly and by a huge landslide; they're going to have to build up some legitimate threats to him at some point.

I think this next battle coming up is going to provide some good tension. They have already set some pretty insane goals for Souma to start to overcome (the Elite Ten for example). The manga is still young and hopefully we'll start to see Souma struggling a bit.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Schneider Heim posted:

Finally, a Shounen Jump manga I can read!

Soma reminds me of 80s shounen leads who are already freakishly strong at the start of the story, removing the need for bullshit training arcs.

SpazmasterX posted:

Plus it doesn't have some silly gimmick like SOLAR HANDS :japan:, just a kid who did nothing but grow up constantly training with his father (who may or may not be one of the greatest chefs in the world).

I love the fact that Souma pretty much knows he is a badass and isn't afraid to throw down. I can't wait for him to get super serious and have a legit battle with someone. I am also interested in seeing how Tadokoro handles herself in a Shokugeki next chapter.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
New chapter is out!

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/171105/shokugeki-no-soma_ch23_by_casanova

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Ethiser posted:

This has become one of my favorite mangas to read every week. I can not get enough of stories that take something grounded in the real world like cooking and make it hot blooded.

I like how this current story arc is finally letting us see more of why Megumi deserves to be at a top class chef school.

Same. A buddy introduced me to the manga and I have loved every chapter.

It was great to see Souma do his best to calm Tadokoro down. The hand slaps, the talking her down, and explaining to her to make a dish that suits her. While I was really hoping for Souma to beat him, I cannot wait to see the look on Kojiro's face when he gets his rear end handed to him. It'll be even sweeter now and it's good we are seeing the growth of the other characters instead of just Souma walking through fools.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Sonata Mused posted:

I thought all the Shokugeki were based around being expelled?

Been awhile since I read the beginning chapters, so I might be misremembering.

To challenge someone you have to wager something of equal stakes. It was mentioned that challenging for the 7th Seat of the Elite Ten to drop out of school wouldn't even be enough.

RULES OF A SHOKUGEKI:

Mountain Lightning fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 28, 2013

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Regarding the new chapter.

I can't wait to see what Kitchen Tadokoro has in store for Kojiro and the rest of the judges. I hate the cliffhanger ending but this chapter really showed off what I love about this manga. The descriptions of the meals and the way they used the ingredients together was awesome. The combination of Souma and Tadokoro working together was really cool to see and it was cool to see the Alumni give Souma his props for his skills.

Also CABBAGE MAGICIAN~~~!

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Mo_Steel posted:

It's been a while since I was caught so off guard in the span of a single chapter before. :golfclap:

I totally expected her to squeeze by somehow; hopefully this development doesn't get thrown out by some handwaving about it not being a true Shokugeki or something.

gently caress! I did not see that coming at all. Tadokoro tried so hard...

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Sonata Mused posted:

Welp, pack it in everybody, that's a wrap.

Seriously, though, how can you not go with Tadakoro? She's so cute

The page with her and Souma smiling was so great and then they had to stomp on our hearts.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Angry Grimace posted:

The blonde girl is Yoshino, but I don't recall the other girl's name or if it was ever given. Erina is a pretty straight tsundere character though.

Purple/Lavender hair girl is named Sakaki Ryouko.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Tadokoro's tears and Souma trying to help take the blame tugged at my heartstrings. This chapter was not how I expected it to play out but to be honest I am happy it turned out like this. It wasn't that Tadokoro wasn't good enough to beat him it was because Kojiro isn't any better? Right on. Kojiro getting called out was the best part of the chapter. :getin:

Tadokoro is awesome and here is hoping this shokugeki boosts her confidence even if it's just a little it.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
New Chapter has arrived!

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/179806/shokugeki-no-soma_ch29_by_casanova

The cliffhangers in this manga drive me up the wall but it's something I also really enjoy about it. A new lady and her buddy have shown up and declares that Soma is gonna lose? And it looks like Tadokoro had a good idea. I can't wait for next week to see what happens.

Erina is also cute as heck being competitive about losing at Uno.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
New chapter! http://www.batoto.net/read/_/180945/shokugeki-no-soma_ch30_by_casanova

Suddenly Souma is in a pinch! What could be the problem with his dish? Erina being a Queen was very fitting of her and having Tadokoro get a proposal to wed a man's grandson was great. Lots of good dishes shown off this chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Holy poo poo. I didn't even think this thread was still alive. I am so glad so many people have embraced Shokugeki. :shobon: I am currently re-reading from the beginning and will try and post in here more often!