Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Schneider Heim posted:

Man the depiction of food is so good it looks so lewd.

Now I am hungry for cabbage.

Actually, they've turned down a lot of the actual lewdness since the first few chapters. Probably because the series is selling reasonably well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

jrdbnta posted:

Cause she's hella meek and boring? I much prefer Nikumi or Erina, at least they have some personality.

I'd probably add the other two Polar Star Dorm girls, but I don't think we even know their names yet...

The blonde girl is Yoshino, but I don't recall the other girl's name or if it was ever given. Erina is a pretty straight tsundere character though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Furious Lobster posted:

I'm really enjoying the highly detailed drawings and cooking that will from time to time verge on the fantastical/gag like but usually seems somewhat more probable than not. I'm disappointed that there were no over the top reactions to Souma's cooking but hopefully more winged Souma cherubs will appear later.

The manga is a semi-surprise hit for WSJ, so the fanservice food reactions have been dramatically toned down in favor of plot and to give them a more humorous edge rather than appearing to be literal orgasms (e.g. Erina's reaction to the rice dish). You would probably not be surprised, based on those early chapters, to learn that the artist did hentai before this.

Oh, and Ch. 34: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shokugeki-no-Soma/Ch-034--The-Fate-Surrounding-Tootsuki?id=171583

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 2, 2013

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chapter 36

Undercover work and the return of foodgasms. Is it some kind of trope to have slimy evil types have Ichimaru Gin like expressions?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ch. 42 http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shokugeki-no-Soma/Ch-042-Read-Online?id=176573

That was an...interesting food reaction.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Shokugeki no Soma has been picked up for U.S. print versions. However, it will not appear in the digital Shonen Jump because the foodgasms were considered to be too lewd.

The official translated name is "Food Wars!" Yes, really.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Crazy witch girl looks way too much like a Hex Maniac from Pokemon.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mo_Steel posted:

My prediction is Souma gets a good score, but not the best score. That gives him meaningful rivals and allows him to continue training himself.

Either that or he tries something weird and it tastes loving awful and he loses big time but he just shrugs it off and keeps being awesome. :haw:

I think he'll get a mid-80s score and then start boasting that it doesn't make a difference because you don't win in the first round.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

How? Once he hands over his dish, they aren't gonna let him cook a side or whatever. Whatever he hands over is gonna be all they're gonna take from him.

Yeah, but its only the first round. All he really needs to do is advance, right?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

He just needs to beat the smell guy, is all. It isn't like he is gonna lose, so I'm more interested in how Megumi is gonna pull through. Underdogs are way more interesting than prodigies.

He won't lose in the first round, but I think the chances of him winning the entire tournament arc is pretty low, simply based on the fact that shonen tournament arcs rarely end with the protaganist winning the first one.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I love how the guy we barely know anything about (beyond "surprisingly good", since he was one of the first to get accepted into the tournament) also happens to have a legion of glasses wearing fans. Is his entire gimmick going to be seemingly plain food that turns out to have an amazing twist?

Everyone apparently has a legion of adoring fans other than Tadokoro and Soma, who have hate crews. Even that random long-haired Polar Star girl has a fan-group.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I like how the Polar Star dorm consistently has ragers where all of the underage students get drunk to poo poo, but its never explicitly mentioned why Takumi's having random breakdowns and everyone's passing out on the floor fully clothed. The only time this was even referenced is when Souma asked that chick if she was home brewing sake, and she's like "um, no."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The only problem is that its actually quite plausible for Soma to lose to Alice, except not in the very first round. Unless Tadokoro is winning it all.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Nah, the reactions in this manga are exaggerated for comedic effect. In Yakitate Japan, that sort of reaction would literally involve being punched in the face. Here, food is limited to being delicious/nasty and making people feel good/bad. Even the really flowery descriptions have been mostly limited to professional judges and expert chefs. If I recall correctly, that fried chicken wrap thing just made people exclaim that it tasted very good and that they wanted more.

Its just fanservice/humor. The only time it appeared to be literal was when Erina appeared to have an orgasm after eating Souma's furikake since the next few panels showed her struggling to stand. Even then, it was probably just fanservice/humor.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

They didn't even call it deglazing. Instead, they described the entire process in detail as though they had never heard of it before.

We're talking about a manga that runs in Shonen Jump. Most people in general probably have no clue what deglazing is (not to mention who knows what that is called in Japanese).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

He's from northern Europe. Presumably one of the Scandinavian countries.

Its a little-known fact that "Ryou Kurokiba" is a very common name in Denmark. As is speaking fluent Japanese.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Its a Japanese series for Japanese people set in Japan. Is anyone really surprised that it features Japanese dishes?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I actually thought that he was going to realize that Kurokiba's dish gave him diarrhea.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I think we can safely assume Takumi's going to get knocked out based on the fact he's fighting the biker guy, who I guess we have to call anal-retentive detail guy now.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Compendium posted:

Maybe they'll get the creepy girl who uses stinky ingredients to stalk him while he's stalking others. Out-stalk the stalker???

That's not happening unless Erina disowns her secretary for losing and she jumps into the harem.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

This definitely seems the most likely scenario. That, or Soma just deliberately misleads him and then makes something else entirely using similar ingredients but in different amounts or something. Or he'll ask for ingredients he doesn't need as a decoy or whatever.

Yeah, if I had to guess, Subaru will stalk him and find that he's just sitting around getting drunk with his friends and planning to wing it. The shokugeki will involve giving all the poo poo back and developing his own style.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

New chapter.

"Surprise" appearance of a particular recurring character there.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 24, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Thirty-Five Minutes posted:

The most important question raised in this chapter: who is the person in the dorm who owns all the volumes of the shoujo manga? This is truly a mystery. I hope the answer is Isshiki.

That would be the funniest, since she could get them from him during a council meeting.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Compendium posted:

http://www.mangachapter.net/15464/shokugeki-no-soma/85.html

Looks like it's gonna be a tough cooking battle. loving Mimisaka man.

My guess is that Soma structured the dish in a way that you can't simply "add" things to it to make it better. It would be interesting if he overdid the dish on purpose so that the only way to make it better was taking it a step back, rather than a step further.

Or if he had submitted the peanut butter squid.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'd like for it to finish the way I said, but its probably going to be "I put more of my hot-bloodedness in my dish."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Relevant to this chapter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XQq2Nqzc4U

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 11, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Even worse, he is finely cutting a very common mixture of vegetables in order to use them in a conventional way. I'm waiting for someone to go apeshit over the idea that someone added salt to a dish.

The most common use for oxtails is making stews and soups, too. Its not like they did something unpredictable.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I still find it kind of funny that a guy who learned french cuisine at a japanese vocational high school became a huge success in paris. Likewise, the sons of an italian restaurant in italy got sent to a japanese vocational high school to prepare them to take over the family business. All of the foreign food made in this manga is decidedly japanese-style and made to please japanese judges, but there is never any recognition of this fact.
Souma explicitly stated he used miso in his stew to make it "more to the taste of Japanese people."

You're forgetting this is a hot-blooded shounen high school in a hot-blooded shounen world where cooking, loving and fighting are all kind of the same thing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Huh, I actually don't know who will win. The early praising of Hayama's genius made it seem like Kurokiba would win in a shocking upset, but then Hayama got the smug cliffhanger line.

Although the bigger question is why the pushups?

I mean, fanservice.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

This series is getting picked up in the US imprint of Weekly Shonen Jump, by the way. Yes, it is still called "Food Wars" for some loving reason.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The Evil Thing posted:

To be fair, however dumb it may be "Food Wars" still tells us a lot more about the series than "Shokugeki no Souma".

Shokugeki no Soma translates loosely to something like "The Spirit of Cooking" though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The big rumor is that Soma is getting an anime announced in the next issue, as well. The scanner had said they thought one was coming it because there's a big center color and cover in next issue and ANN reported it because some distributors marked an anime for pre-order or something before taking it down.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

My interest is going to be tempered until I figure out what studio is handling the project. If its like Toei or DEEN or Pierrot, its going to be awful.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm kind of worried about that. Too many anime get started too early in a manga's lifecycle and then end and never get another one.

On the other hand, this seems like it'd be a funny anime to watch.

I don't think its a problem since there's about 90 chapters out. Assuming its a two-cour, it would probably be ~12 episodes covering the intro through the Resort and Summer Vacation arcs, and then 12 episodes covering the election. They could do less to justify more seasons, but I don't think they'd cut off the Election tournament right in the middle.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Anime confirmed: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-10-31/shonen-jump-to-launch-3-new-manga-series-in-november

No studio named yet.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Yeah I must have copied on the page linked inside the article. Thanks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

New chapter is up through the official channels.

Getting the "excess energy" out at home with one-on-one with a girl typically means something else, Kurokiba.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

"official channels"?

Shonen Jump International puts it out on Mondays at 10 a.m.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I simply don't understand from a writing perspective what's being gained by a three way match with both Kurokiba and Akira here. They're basically the same guy - dark, broody arrogant guys. Its gotten worse since they've Flanderized Kurokiba's personality away from being mostly a chill dude into being an rear end in a top hat even in his default persona. Chapter was decent but it followed a lot of same narrative structure as the previous in-between arcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Probably because Hayama has been built up as the final boss of this whole arc, but the author's been building up Kurokiba a lot too and didn't want him to get beat by anyone but Souma?

Its actually been built up to be Eizan, its just that he barely does anything.