Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I already own all these there games :(

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is force unleashed 2 worth $12? I played the first one and it was solidly "meh". Too many enemies that can block your attacks, which has no place in a game with lightsabers honestly.
It's more of the same but now with 2 lightsabers. $12 sounds about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hulk Smash! posted:

I already own all these there games :(

It's more of the same but now with 2 lightsabers. $12 sounds about right.

I think the first one had two lightsabers too...but now that you mention it I don't actually remember off the top of my head, that's how forgettable that game was.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Nope just the one. The whole point of 2 lightsabers in the sequel is so they could make that horrible logo. I expect he would have had one growing from his head had the 3rd game made it.

queue someone posting a picture of that dude with the knee lightsaber outfit

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
Republic Commando is really good.

I'm also gonna put my favorite kotor video here for no reason. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b5pXc2czMo

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Goddamnit I just paid 12 bucks to get two copies of Jedi Academy like a week ago, for nostalgia.

Agraya posted:

Republic Commando is really good.

I'm also gonna put my favorite kotor video here for no reason. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b5pXc2czMo

Thanks. I really wanted to know a playthrough where you find out, and then you make Korriban your final planet. I always made Manaan my final destination because I hated the final puzzle.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 4, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

I'm thinking of getting back into SWTOR after a few-year hiatus. There was just recently an expansion and they changed a lot about the skill trees. From reading about these changes, I get the impression that they dumbed down the builds. I want to ask people who are playing currently or who have played after these changed were implemented if that's what it seems like.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I tried playing jedi academy but it's aged really really poorly. I'm not a graphics snob exactly, but I was surprised at how ugly that game is now, especially since I seem to have memories of it looking quite good at the time.

Pixelated Dragon posted:

I'm thinking of getting back into SWTOR after a few-year hiatus. There was just recently an expansion and they changed a lot about the skill trees. From reading about these changes, I get the impression that they dumbed down the builds. I want to ask people who are playing currently or who have played after these changed were implemented if that's what it seems like.

You could say that, yeah. Hybrid builds are no longer possible, and instead of a skill tree, it's more like a skill snake, with stuff unlocking in a linear progress as you level. Along the way you'll unlock "utilities" (up to 7 at the end, I think) which are bonuses that you can choose from.

They've basically just made it harder to screw up your build; before, you had "choice" between dozens of possibilities, but there were only a handful of "correct" ways to do it and any other choice you made was just gimping yourself. Now, the game puts you on the correct path automatically (or at least, pushes all players along it so that nobody has an advantage).

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

Ainsley McTree posted:

I tried playing jedi academy but it's aged really really poorly. I'm not a graphics snob exactly, but I was surprised at how ugly that game is now, especially since I seem to have memories of it looking quite good at the time.

You could say that, yeah. Hybrid builds are no longer possible, and instead of a skill tree, it's more like a skill snake, with stuff unlocking in a linear progress as you level. Along the way you'll unlock "utilities" (up to 7 at the end, I think) which are bonuses that you can choose from.

They've basically just made it harder to screw up your build; before, you had "choice" between dozens of possibilities, but there were only a handful of "correct" ways to do it and any other choice you made was just gimping yourself. Now, the game puts you on the correct path automatically (or at least, pushes all players along it so that nobody has an advantage).

Hybrid builds didn't seem to work in SWTOR as well as they did in WoW back when WoW used the trees. I was hoping that Bioware would tinker with that to make hybrid builds more viable because I like having options. It makes me a little sad to see that they're moving in the opposite direction.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'm buying that pack just for Republic Commando because seriously you guys that game is utterly fantastic.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Hybrid builds didn't seem to work in SWTOR as well as they did in WoW back when WoW used the trees. I was hoping that Bioware would tinker with that to make hybrid builds more viable because I like having options. It makes me a little sad to see that they're moving in the opposite direction.

The problem with hybrid viability in that sense is it leads to massive skill bloat. TOR already had some of the worst skill bloat of any MMO, aiming for that kind of goal would just make most classes unbearable to play after a while and completely inaccessible to new players.

This is probably the number 1 reason I quit soon after release. Well, that and Belsavis. :argh:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pixelated Dragon posted:

They had a lot of balance patches before they threw their hands up and went to the current system so it wasn't for a lack of trying at least.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Furnaceface posted:

This is probably the number 1 reason I quit soon after release. Well, that and Belsavis. :argh:
Not so long ago I finished my BH's story arc, and while I was mentally going "oh nooooooooo" when I came to Belsavis, I have to say that I actually didn't find it too bad. Quite honestly I hated Corellia so much more, with its maze-like layout that forces you to make gigantic detours because the most direct routes are almost always blocked. It's so loving awful and makes me wish I could get super jump in this game like in CoX.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

I remember Republic Taris being the pits but that's because I puttered around there back when you couldn't have a mount until level 25.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
So I decided that I really liked the SWTOR Lego sets they released:

Sorry about the lovely lighting. It's hung up on my wall now! All the figs are from The Old Republic era Lego sets except for the Mandalorian which is apparently Clone Wars era, but who can tell really?

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Get 2 more, turn that into a clock.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Do you have the Jedi Defender? It looks awesome and I kind of want it but can't really justify the purchase, so I just have the tiny set that comes with four little troopers, two Imp and two Pub, and they battle it out on the shelf above my desk.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

shadok posted:

Do you have the Jedi Defender? It looks awesome and I kind of want it but can't really justify the purchase, so I just have the tiny set that comes with four little troopers, two Imp and two Pub, and they battle it out on the shelf above my desk.

Yep! A few of those figs are from that set. It's by far my favourite Lego Star Wars ship. Definitely pick one up if you get the chance, it's going out of print.

Terec
Dec 14, 2001
Cybernetic Crumb
Is it worth spending the cartel points for more inventory space? how much do you get for it?

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Terec posted:

Is it worth spending the cartel points for more inventory space? how much do you get for it?

You get another row of 10 spots every time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Terec posted:

If you didn't already do it, click a referral link and you'll get a free inventory row unlock

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Here's a handy, totally-not-self-serving referral link for that: http://www.swtor.com/r/4PV3r7 :cheers:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Terec posted:

You can spend credits and get the same thing, can't you? Unless there's some extra row of inventory that unlocks only through cartel coins, I would say that it is most definitely not worth spending CCs on.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I believe only subs can buy inventory unlocks with credits.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Terec posted:

Nipponophile posted:

I believe only subs can buy inventory unlocks with credits.

Technically you can buy them on the GTN for credits if other people are selling, no idea what the going rate is these days though. Worth checking out first at least, especially if the account-wide ones are up.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

The problem you'll have with buying cc unlocks on the GTN is that people don't seem to realize that a) their target buyers are often either free-to-play or preferred and b) that they have a credit cap. Like, I've seen temp escrow cap removers go for above the credit cap.... who would buy these? I feel like there's a market to be exploited if you're swimming in cc, by selling stuff at just under the credit escrow cap.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Hulk Smash! posted:

The problem you'll have with buying cc unlocks on the GTN is that people don't seem to realize that a) their target buyers are often either free-to-play or preferred and b) that they have a credit cap. Like, I've seen temp escrow cap removers go for above the credit cap.... who would buy these? I feel like there's a market to be exploited if you're swimming in cc, by selling stuff at just under the credit escrow cap.

Maybe they're bought by subscribers who are planning on going to preffered status?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Casyl posted:

Maybe they're bought by subscribers who are planning on going to preffered status?

This isn't uncommon I think - subscribe for a bit, buy up stuff to use while preferred.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

This isn't uncommon I think - subscribe for a bit, buy up stuff to use while preferred.

Yeah when I quit I was going to stock up on unlocks in case I wanted to play while preferred. The operations passes were like 750k

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Medullah posted:

Yeah when I quit I was going to stock up on unlocks in case I wanted to play while preferred. The operations passes were like 750k

The expansion is slightly less annoying now that the bugs are less prevalent on the ops bosses. We actually cleared both ravagers and tos on the same night multiple times recently!

With a good group ravagers takes less than 45 minutes on sm.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Stan S. Stanman posted:

The expansion is slightly less annoying now that the bugs are less prevalent on the ops bosses. We actually cleared both ravagers and tos on the same night multiple times recently!

With a good group ravagers takes less than 45 minutes on sm.

Yeah, the annoying operations is only a small part of me taking time off heh. I'm sure they're better, but I'm still going to be gone until summer at least

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Where's that new thread? :colbert:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

Where's that new thread? :colbert:

Oh yeah, i had it pretty much all written up (not a ton of major changes), I'll get it up tonight and add to it as needed. Anyone that enjoys PvP feel like doing a write up on the basics of PvP for newbies?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Medullah posted:

Anyone that enjoys PvP feel like doing a write up on the basics of PvP for newbies?

10 ROLL "Sith Sorcerer"
20 ENTER PVP_QUEUE
30 CAST "Force Storm"
40 GOTO 30

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Medullah posted:

Oh yeah, i had it pretty much all written up (not a ton of major changes), I'll get it up tonight and add to it as needed. Anyone that enjoys PvP feel like doing a write up on the basics of PvP for newbies?

*faaaaaaart*

there ya go

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
My guild took down Underlurker HM tonight :haw: Shiny new boots for me~

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

My guild took down Underlurker HM tonight :haw: Shiny new boots for me~

Woo! What server are you on if you aren't in tng?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

New thread.

I'll post some additional things in the 2nd/3rd post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Woo! What server are you on if you aren't in tng?

I'm on Red Eclipse - the EU PVE server.

• Locked thread