Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So since last night I've been unable to play. The launcher updated this morning and lets me log in just fine. When the game launches, it gets to the very first loading screen, and never leaves it. I never get as far as character or server selection. Anyone know how to fix this? I've tried repairing the install and power cycling my router.

E: VVV Yep. Wow, great patch guys.

My ones shat itself when I tried to switch servers. I can play on the one it starts in just fine, but if I try to go over so I can play my Imp characters NOPE!

Edit: Haha, ok now I've got the same thing you have.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Riotgrrill posted:

Haven't found a goon yet on JC, anyone playing Republic add Gradd (34 Gunslinger) as a friend since I'm pretty much happy to tag along for anything. Also are Smuggler companions Risha and Akaavi supposed to be awful and Corso the best choice or do they become better? Because that guy got me through Skavak barely levelling his gear.

No, you're supposed to be using Bowdaar. :colbert:

Ok, real answer is that a Tank and DPS kinda, sorta work better than two DPS. You're probably too squishy with the dps companions as a gunslinger. At least, thats how I'm finding it using spoiler tag no1 atm.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Except that the soldiers are the ones keeping the Seperatists from butchering the refugees. Not only is it lovely to steal vital supplies from the guys protecting you, who got injured protecting you, but its also stupid since if the soldiers don't have those medical supplies then they might not be capable to defending against the Seps and the refugees would die anyway.

Plus the refugees lost the meds to the Seps anyway. So why the hell would you give it back to them?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Warmachine posted:

Only, your example doesn't hold true because the Teddy Bear is a manifestation of pure hate and rage, and without that intent to utterly destroy and smother the victim, you'd never have the Teddy Bear in the first place.

The Force is space magic that operates on a different morality. It doesn't care for your intent. To call on Force Lightning, you must use dark emotions, and that leads all but the wisest individuals to the Dark Side.

To compound the problem, both sides of the Force are semi-sentient. The light generally urges people to a long term, overarching goal of balance, while the Dark encourages selfishness and greed. And as an added bonus, the Dark Side's rush of power is comparable to an addictive drug, and even without the psychological problems that the user develops, there's always that desire for one more hit.

There are other views, of course, but the vast majority of Star Wars lore proves them wrong, or the rare exception. Jolee Bindo is often cited as being able to use the Dark Side without becoming corrupted by it, but the same people who cite him forget that he was an exceptionally wise person, even by Jedi standards. He spent decades in seclusion, living a very simple existence and contemplating the lessons of his past.

Basically, the universe that the Force exists in is one of absolute morality. There is definitive 'good' and 'evil.' It's like Dungeons and Dragons that way; spells with the Evil descriptor are Evil. Why? Because they draw on Evil power, and to call on that power makes you Evil.

Yes, this is pretty much right in my opinion. Remember guys, the Force is energy created by living beings and is connected to everyone, and so when you use that energy in destructive ways it corrupts the Force and the user. This is why Yoda himself said 'A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense... never for attack.' The darkside isn't anything about morality or logic. Its an actual thing that works in a certain way, even if its dumb. Yes, logically you should be able to use lightning in good ways, but that ignores that the darkside is a real loving thing. It isn't anything to do with morality, its corrupted energy that is literally evil. Places strong in the darkside have been known to turn people insane. Using the darkside itself more or less does turn you insane. This was actually a point in the EU. One of Han and Leia's kids thought that logically he could use the darkside to do good things. But he couldn't and went bonkers (even though that story sucked and would have been better if they played it straight). Its one of the aspects that makes it seductive. Of course I wouldn't be corrupted! I'll only use it for good things. Urgh, why can't they understand! The-they're leaving me no choice! You're with me or against me! Etc etc.

The only reason why Jedi gently caress poo poo up with the Force in modern SW is because its cool. Which is a pretty good reason to be honest. Who didn't fist bump when Satale pancaked Malgus in that one trailer like a boss? Other than dirty imperials of course.....

Edit: Hell, this is why Sidious using Lightning in the original films was so powerful and evocative. Because its such a rank corruption of the Force.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 8, 2013

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

To be fair, sharing his mind for 300 years with a man so evil he makes Sith Lords poo poo their pants upon psychic contact probably wasn't that great for Revans chippy attitude.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 8, 2013

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Monni posted:

Thanks for the spoiler, jerk.

Not entirely sure why I'm being called out while everyone else is openly talking about Revan spoilers but I apologise and have spoilered it just in case.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Warmachine posted:

Fairly sure he was being factious since we were just talking about how pubbies in SWTOR are super sensitive about spoilers compared to other games.

Thats mean. I felt really bad. If I jump its completely his fault.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Hulk Smash! posted:

ThingsIWishWouldHappenButNeverWill.txt

- Add new player races. I want a Sullustan gunslinger and a Wookiee BH. I know it won't happen because of ~*romanceable companions*~ but Princess Leia was willing to kiss a Wookiee, Mako should too :colbert:

I'm pretty sure this isn't happening because of the voice-acting, not romance. Non-humanoid species all have their own languages and no-one wants to listen to their repeated gibberish for 60 hours. And obviously a Wookiee speaking English would be creepy as gently caress.

Personally I'd love some more cyborg stuff. Things like robot arms, half your head covered in metal plates, metal jaws etc etc.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 15, 2013

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Also upgrade your equipment maybe.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

WarLocke posted:

All the people saying the Consular story sucks, no, you suck because my Consular is literally making galactic alliances and leading armies into battle.

I blame the voice acting. Yuck.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

bonds0097 posted:

How dare you insult Nolan North? Unless you're referring to the female VA in which case I am significantly less emotionally invested.

Nolan North sounds like he's trying to dictate the facilitation of trade negotiations while getting the most rigorous anal-fisting of his life.

Ok thats clearly an exaggeration, but he put on an odd-sounding, stuffy tone to his voice. I get that the Consulars meant to be basically a serene, emotionless nerd, but that kind of voice just didn't work for me. Its the voice of a librarian, not a main character. It sounded too goofy and I had to switch to the FemConsular half-way through Tython. She's dry as a bone too, but at least I can take her seriously.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah because Femsular's get it so much better with their romance. Cheating with a skeezy, egotistical twat behind his holographic girlfriend's back, this game sure can make a gal swoon. :rolleyes:

(Also Iresso who I haven't met yet but whatever)

(Also x2 I'm not really a gal)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

WarLocke posted:

You realize Tharan isn't the romance, right? :cripes:

Iresso is actually a pretty cool character and I thought his romance worked pretty well.

You can shag him so he's basically a romance.:colbert:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Azzmo posted:

He's a sexist piece of poo poo. I've played all eight classes now and he's the only companion whose personality issues bothered me enough to not use him; I can deal with the narcissists and the various "I will kill you to death" companions but I can't have a guy with me going "Why did you just fry that person who killed our ally in cold blood and sold out our entire group and tried to kill us, resulting in multiple deaths? Why I say, and in addition to that how could you?? Didn't you know she was a woman?. Just loving ugh.

Corso's the best if you bring him to every flirt option you can. He gets really awkward and pissed off and its quite hilarious. Though yes, he is pretty irritating. The last time I did that he 'put his foot down' and told me he wasn't going to stand for this. Of course I immediately picked the 'You don't own me' option, to which he replied 'Oh come on, there's a difference between being possessive and having some self-respect.' We are not in a relationship you twit!

But I feel like the game knows that his views are a bit grating, as you do have the options to call him on his crappy opinions and throw his sexism in his face so at least you can't blame the writing.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Psyker posted:

But therein lies the problem. Even the lowest, braindead Pureblood Sith was held in higher regard than any slave. Pureblood Sith do not make sense in the context of the Inquisitor storyline.

Thats why originally you couldn't be a Sith Pureblood as an Inquisitor. People complained though, even after Bioware explained this to them, so it got squeezed in.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I recommend Armortech personally, since all your companions get use out of it and its really great for keeping them and yourself geared up with minimal management.

Also do the same thing for Trooper so your Havoc Squad all have matching uniforms/armor.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Is anyone having a problem with the launcher? Whenever I try to start Swtor up it tells me the Launcher is updating, shuts down and then informs me that only one instance can run at a time twice. Is anyone familiar with this problem and how to solve it? Its been like this the whole day.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Tolan posted:

Check and see if there's another launcher process running. If so, kill it in Task Manager and re-run the launcher.

Theres no other launcher. I've turned my computer off and on again at the plug and its still doing it. I've checked Task Manager and theres nothing.

Edit: I tried to run the Fixlauncher application and it didn't work. I ran a diagnostic but I can't read this poo poo. The only thing that stuck out was:

30/07/2013 13:22 Application Error Faulting application name: Steam.exe, version: 1.84.85.72, time stamp: 0x51f2e856 Faulting module name: tier0_s.dll, version: 1.84.85.72, time stamp: 0x51f2e809 Exception code: 0x40000015 Fault offset: 0x0001dc80 Faulting process id: 0x430 Faulting application start time: 0x01ce8d27cd474a2a Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\tier0_s.dll Report Id: 1f9d6be6-f91b-11e2-855b-902b349719bd

I have no idea why its mentioning Steam.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 31, 2013

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

kmzh posted:

Dunno about Steam but I know they were updating the launcher yesterday to support streamed installs or something.

Hmm, well if they did then that must be it. Something must have gone wrong with my update. I guess the next step is to just call up support and get to the bottom of this.

Edit: Yeah, it looks like this is a problem many are having. Support was able to fix it for me. Anyone else having similar problems just call them up. Thanks for the help guys.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 31, 2013

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I appreciate that you have the option to flirt with Corso and then when he starts to get into you just tell him that you were only flirting and not interested in something serious. Its much better than leading him on and then turning around and calling him a knob and makes for stronger characterization imo.

Of course I haven't seen the higher dialogue options. Doesn't he get really creepy and tell you that you'll get you eventually or something?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Vriess posted:

lso there were two other "voices"; one in Voss that the SW fucks up, and the one the JK fucks up in Kaas. The combination of such is probably why we got the big reveal at the end of Makeb that the Emporer is dying, if not dead already.

Its not known whether that actually was the Voice the second time. There have been convincing theories otherwise but most damning of all imo is this: Skip to 27.00. "The Jedi Knight defeats the Emperor at the end, and the Emperor's body does die.”

Its implied the Emperor is coming back regardless though.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

ThreeSixXero posted:

The Emperor has had multiple bodies ever since his rise to power after the Great Hyperspace War.

Even if his body this time was killed, it could be assumed that he can just get a new body before his "power" runs out. I'd suspect that his version of "dying" is that he really did lose a lot of "power" when he was killed this time and that is why there is reason to be concerned, but the game will undoubtedly bring him back so he can be a boss or something.

Vriess posted:

The Sith Warrior, who becomes the Emperor's Wrath and is guided by a cult of Purebloods known as the Emperor's Hand, is informed that the JK simply defeated another voice and subsequently has an extra dialogue option when talking to Marr after Makeb whom is absolutely apathetic if the Emperor is dead or not.

My theory is that Lord Vitiate has transcended to being a sort of galactic "Intelligence," rather than really needing any corporeal form.

I think both of these are likely accurate in terms of Vitiate not really requiring his body to be alive and being more of a non-corporeal consciousness. I do think he's surviving since in Kira's quests its revealed that the Emperor's Children can still hear his voice in their heads raging and going apeshit even after his death. That, plus the info the Hand gives out and what Marr says indicates he is still alive but his defeat seriously hosed him over and he'll need time to come back.

The point I was trying to make though is that I don't think it was just the Emperor's Voice that got killed. There are a lot of reasons to doubt that the Hands were telling the truth at the end of the Warrior storyline, most of which are detailed in this thread. But imo it was borderline confirmed in that interview I posted where the guy being interviewed (who is the lead writer of the Knight storyline iirc) flat out says it was the Emperor's real body that you fight at the end of the Knight storyline.

Maybe that's just a nitpicky difference, but I think it puts things into perspective why he's been knocked out of commission and a few other things. When the Warrior kills his Voice on Voss he didn't seem bothered by it by when the Knight kills him at the end of their storyline he goes ballistic and is hugely weakened and has to withdraw from the Empire. I also don't really see why he'd use his Voice for his final galaxy draining ritual rather than his real body.

Personally I hope that if they do bring him back it won't be as a group fight or a Flashpoint or anything. The Knight should be the one to take him down in a last climactic duel at the very end of their class story. Er, again.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 3, 2013

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Archonex posted:

His part in the storyline makes sense once you realize that Vitiate is basically a proto-Palpatine that doesn't believe in that Rule of Two bullshit. Palpatine nearly comes back once or twice in the EU by pulling the same stunt that Vitiate is implied to use, only by using clone bodies and attempting to forcibly possess people instead.

Presumably someone's going to have to snuff out his freaking soul or something before he stays down. I forget how they finally offed Palpatine in the EU, but i'm fairly certain it was pretty difficult to pull off. Given that Vitiate is in a position to pretty much re-originate life in the galaxy when he gets put down, i'm guessing he'll be a bit harder than just throwing a couple Luke Skywalker wannabes at him. Guessing that's where a raid comes in. :v:

Edit: In fact, after looking it up, to give an idea of how absurdly tough it is to kill someone using Vitiate's trick, it took Vader, Luke, half the Republic, and many others killing him multiple times for him to stay down. And even then, that was only because someone else tied their souls to his as that person was dying, so the Jedi that had been slaughtered by Palps could basically stand watch and ensure he didn't claw his way back to life.

Mind you, throughout this he was displaying toned down versions of a lot of Vitiate's powers. Like driving his apprentices insane with hate from beyond the grave. So it seems likely Vitiate is a Palpatine knockoff.

And Vitiate is the guy who it's inferred came up with the original body theft technique that Bane would (badly) rediscover, and Palpatine never fully learned. The dude is basically above Revan on the "insanely overpowered" tier of EU characters. Suffice to say that short of Revan coming back from the grave and pulling a miracle out of his rear end, he's probably nigh immortal.

I'm looking forward to that story arc and boss series though. It's mostly what i'm waiting to see before I start playing again.

It's inevitable they'll do it eventually, and if they design the fight right and play him up as going all out it's probably going to be absolutely batshit insane. Think what would happen if you gave a priest in WoW a bar full of mind control abilities instead of one mostly useless one. And that's before he switches to hotbar number 2 and reveals he spent the last decade crafting a thousand different plagues and super-weapons. :v:

The Star Wars EU everybody!

Yeah, the thing is Vitiate isn't 'basically' above Revan, he is above Revan. Since he kicked his rear end in Revans own book and thats how Revan got captured by the Empire and turned up in the game. Vitiate really is the most overpowered character in the entire Star Wars mythos. Not only was he immensely powerful in his own right, killing his Sith Lord father and taking over his planet when he was only 13, but after the fall of the first Sith Empire he absorbed the power and energy of EIGHT THOUSAND Sith Lords on the planet Nathema, as well as all energy on the planet itself. For context just look at how uber the Inquisitor becomes after gaining the power of just 4 Sith Lords in this game. Now granted most of that power goes to maintaining his immortality, but he still vastly increased his capacity as a Force User and is said to gain more power all the time. And he has enough loving time considering he's lived for 1400 years and has spent most of it doing nothing else than study the Force.

By all rights he should be almost impossible to defeat by anyone. The only drawback to him is that he isn't MORE powerful. Sidious should logically have nothing on him in any area yet he still does rival or surpass him. And theres the fact that the Hero of Tython beats him in the game. Sure Vitiate was weakened, but Scourge says he was recovering fast and they fought inside the Dark Temple, which is a powerful nexus of the darkside that would increase Vitiates powers while hampering the Knights.

You're right though in that I dunno how exactly we'll go about killing him off for good other than as you said eating his soul. I think this might be the way its going to happen, since Scourges vision of the Knight has him/her take Vitiates crown after defeating him and "the vision ended when you held his power in your hands."

Definitely want to see him pull out insane Force powers that would make the Dread Masters blush. His fight at the end of the Knights story was so tame and I want to see him go all out with crazy poo poo all over the map. And it would be funny to just give him, like, every Force power in the game and let him go bananas.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Rascyc posted:

On that same note I finally played my consular up to the entire Revan thing, which prompted me to go check the lovely wikis on what exactly they did to Revan and the Exile storylines and every part of me frowned as much as a human being can possibly frown.

That book is an abomination. The writer never even bothered to play Kotor II so he knows gently caress-all about that side of the story. An Revan comes off as incredibly incompetent throughout.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Archonex posted:

The same reason they took out half of the end game armor, crippling their end game progression.

Mind you, that was the end game armor that was the reward for getting social levels. And was the armor everyone liked. Things like KOTOR era Mandalorian armor, Sith armor that aped Vader and other looks, the space tuxedo, and more. This was with pure black and white variants of armor.

They put some of it back in in the cash shop later on. But still, they are not a bright developer team.

Why did they do that again? It just seems so... stupid.

I still recall when this was in development and their big revolutionary thing was Kotor-style lightsaber combat. Where the lightsabers match up their swings and they block their strikes and stuff. Cuz thats what people want from an mmo.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Who cares if it clips. Just be all like 'your character cut holes in it for the lekku.'

Problem loving solved. :colbert:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

News is that some devs at the NYC cantina said that Revan is trying to resurrect the Emperor. Which kind of nonsensically makes the Empire want to kick his rear end as well? Even the Emperor's Wrath???

There will be 6 Flashpoints. 4 HM FPs are Tython, Korriban, Manaan & Rakata plus two new ones.

Revan's final battle can be completed in two different ways according to an interview at the NYC cantina. You can either complete it via SM/FP (they forget which one) OR you can complete it with a 8-man Operation group (obviously the Operation is larger and more complex then the SM).

There will be another Operation seemingly on Darth Nihilus' ship.

Togruta will likely be a new race added soon.

Kephess is also coming back.

Sorry if this is old news.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

darth cookie posted:

Playing the Imperial Agent as a Sith James Bond is hilarious. I swear I will get in Moneypenny Watcher 2's knickers.

She only goes for humans as I recall.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

A ton of stuff is being datamined for Shadow of Revan. Looks like we're in for shenanigans with split-personalities! with Revan himself.

The Emperor is successfully revived and escapes as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Personally speaking yeah Smuggler and Trooper are the most fun in Act 1 (though I'm a huge SW nerd so I super enjoyed the Consular stuff) but they get extremely dull in the rest of the game after they've defeated their respective nemeses and the storylines start to lack direction. The villains aren't compelling and plot just didn't engage me. Skavak and the Havoc Squad traitors felt like personal foes, whereas afterwards it's two douchebags you barely interact with. By contrast the Knight storyline is dull in Act 1 but picks up steam when the stuff with the Emperor comes into play. Consular is pretty solid throughout though imo because I am a big nerd who geeks out at meeting Arca Jeth and force blasting through doors.

Smuggler never stops cracking great lines and bedding lads and ladies though, so it's still good.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 29, 2014

• Locked thread