Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Do Outlaw boots come with mods already in them? According to the patch notes you won't be able to dupe those kinds of items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

The having to have a full set thing especially is a bit weird. Hopefully it'll get better as they get more input and the feature evolves. The one thing I'm looking forward to is unlocking the level 10 +41 crystals for everybody. That'll be really nice for alts.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Really? Read on another forum that it was only 60 CC. Unless there's different prices for different colors?

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

McTimmy posted:

All my crystals were bought from the GTN before patch and already inserted in my weapons. I had to extract them from my weapons before they were added to my Collection though. The Unbound crystals I had in my Cargo Bay weren't added, even when I moved them to my inventory.

Weird... actually, now that I think about it it makes sense that you'd have to bind it first before it would show up in your Collection, otherwise you'd get something in your collection and then just sell it (the original item) again.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Hulk Smash! posted:

I was in a 55 warzone (my first as a fresh 55 BH Merc) and someone whispered me that I should respec to DPS. I'm currently specced in heals and, I thought, was doing ok. Came in 1st for heals on my team and 2nd overall. Might have been good old-fashioned trolling on this guy's part but it got me thinking: are Merc BH inefficient PvP healers compared to Ops/Smuggs and Sages/Inqs?

I do notice that when a really good Ops/smugg healer is on they have crazy numbers and don't ever seem to run out of steam and heat management is a bit tricky for me if I'm sole healer. I've leveled almost exclusively from PvE and was doing ok healing but PvP healing is a bit more hectic. Any tips from other mercs?

Good Commando/Merc healers are rare, but when I see one on the other team I groan because I know they're going to be a pain in the rear end to kill. Almost certainly the most "tanky" healing class.

As for Vanguard DPS specs from a few pages back, while I loved Tactics while leveling, I just don't see how it's viable for endgame. Almost all bosses require constant movement if you're melee, so it's often a matter of choosing to finish the Pulse Cannon channel and take a ton of damage or move and lose out on a ton of DPS.

I currently do 7/11/28, throwing Gut into the rotation. Can't say for sure it's the best, but been doing well enough with it.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Stalins Moustache posted:

I'm trying this game out again after having played it on release where it bugged the gently caress out for me. I didn't really get anything from the game because I had huge FPS drops and severe lag even though my connection and my graphics card/drivers were quite good.
Anyways, I'm playing it again and I've picked Sith Warrior because that's the class I tried playing last time. I have a little left before level 10, but I'm not sure if to pick juggernaut or marauder. If I pick Juggernaut, will I still be able to do DPS if that's what I want or am I forever stuck with tanking? And will a Juggernaut do good in PvP, or should I pick a marauder if I want to do that?

Talking about PvP, is this game still a horribly unbalanced mess? I remember Empire being overcrowded of Sith Inquisitors because of that overpowered Force Lightning ability at release.

Jugg DPS is great in PVP, and now with the buffed Vigilance tree (whatever the Jugg equiv of that is) should be fine in PVE as well.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Bag of Hamsters posted:

So I've been trying to decide on a main and have most classes to the 20s-30s with a 50 Jugg and a 45 Mar. End game, what's the least turret-y rDPS or if they all are, which is least affected by casting interrupts? It bothers me that I've yet to encounter an MMO that accurately reflects a player's end game role during leveling and I hate gearing a character only to realize I don't like how they play during raids.

You'll still to go to into cover for some things, but my understanding is that Lethality Snipers/DF Slingers are relatively mobile and completely viable. Assault Commandos/Mercs too, but Gunnery definitely outclasses their DPS.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Which is IMO weird. Shields are a thing, right? Am I insane?

Shields are a thing, but that's different from Armor, which is determined purely by armorings in the 7 armor pieces (and the armor's Heavy/Medium/Light multiplier).

Offhands are there to provide Force/Tech power (just like mainhands), except for Shields which enable shielding. (They also provide Force/Tech power, but at a lower multiplier compared to Focus/Power Generator/Offhand Weapon.) Shielding works differently from Armoring.

(Also, Commandos can't quip Shields, only Generators.)

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

There actually is a way to unlock money from your escrow now, I believe, in one-time chunks.

(And yes, these unlocks are also available on the GTN.)

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

They're just one time movements, not actual limit raises.

I actually have no idea what the pricing is like... I remember I was curious about it before 2.1 dropped but I've forgotten to check how GTN's shaken out.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Does companion affection affect their stats, other than crafting speed and the bonus you get for completing all their conversations?

Also crafting crit chance.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

FaintlyQuaint posted:

"Doing the quest" and "fighting four other players at once" are not even remotely the same thing.

The person you were responding to was specifically talking about the PVP quests.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Holy poo poo, I just checked a couple races and assumed they were all 1.5mil. 50k for an instant +100 Presence? Hell yes.

I'm pretty sure it's not actually that cheap, so it is cheaper than the other races. It's either 500k or 1 mil for humans vs 1.5 mil for the others, I think.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

So FYI, apparently if you have a full ops group and queue it with the operations mode set to hard 8 person the GF ops will be hard mode.

Heh, yep, found that out the hard way yesterday when we queued up a bunch of undergeared alts. Got S&V and all of a sudden adds are attacking the shield and I'm like, WTF?

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Promethium posted:

We used to have a lot of trouble with HM Thrasher too but another guild helpfully pointed out that you don't actually need to use the Roar mechanic to remove the invulnerability shields on the sniper adds, they drop as soon as someone gets into melee range.

O_o Are you sure? Maybe it's different between 8 and 16 man but I swear in 16-man HM, we've wiped because the offtank taunted the boss too early and so the shields didn't get dropped by Roar. And melee were already up trying to kill the snipers.

kmzh fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 23, 2013

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

Yep, but it's pretty expensive. The Bind to Legacy gear ain't cheap (100k or so) and ripping mods out gets expensive too. Need to pull them out of original gear, then pull them out of legacy gear.

If you've got the rep the legacy gear you can get from most (all?) faction vendors is way cheaper than the original legacy sets.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

What level are you? From what I understand Watchmen is great for long boss fights at endgame (all those DoTs), but not necessarily great for leveling/lower level content (things die too fast for those DoTs to really come into play).

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Which class can spec either tank or healing? I enjoy the hybrid classes so I'm playing Operative as my first character, and hearing there's a tank or heal class I think I'll play that one next.

Field respec for life!

They must be talking about different characters they have. There's no AC that can both heal and tank.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Stan S. Stanman posted:

That basically happened to me last night until we booted thr tank and got a new one. Loaded up a hm directive 7 via group finder. Everyone is 55 except the tank who is a level 50 shadow. We were just plowing through trash until we got to a bigger pull and the shadow kept melting to near death. He dies during 1 pull and the healer apologizes and tells him he's a "bit squishy". He doesnt understand the term, and proceeds to complain about how he never gets good gear. He also released immediately so the rest of us stand around waiting for him to work his way back. I take a look at his health at this point and notice he only has about 13k total. He apparently has the expansion but didnt seem to understand what he was being told about the makeb mods on the fleet. Next few fights he nearly dies again, but the group pressed on without complaining. He was kicked shortly later when he created the closest thing to a traditional eq style train ive seen in swtor; after missing a jump while attempting to circumvent some trash he doest know where to go, so he just runs straight through to us. At first I thought it was maybe 5 trash mobs, but stuff came from everywhere. It was closer to 20 and wiped everyone. He did not attempt to stealth his way past anything,

I never saw him use kinetic ward, and I wish I had checked to see if he was even in a tank stance. Im not convinced he was even aware he could stealth.

I think I know exactly which mob pack it is that you're talking about, heh.

And I have to admit I always look at everybody's health when I get into a GF group. I don't immediately kick or leave or anything, but it gives me a general idea of what I'm working with.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

I generally just do Guarded Research, Makrin Origins, and Quake Engines on Makeb a few days a week for the weekly. Guarded Research is pretty easy to solo if both you and your comp have good gear. Even when I'm wearing my PVP gear (too lazy to change while I'm in the queue) I'm usually fine. I would imagine it's even easier if you have a real CC.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

I can't decide if Looking For Love in Alderaan Places is good or horrible.

For a pun, there's no difference between being good or horrible.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

I would assume they don't want server pops to drastically shift too much. And from what I'm reading the prices are in line with/cheaper than other MMOs.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Honestly they should just bite the bullet and have bosses drop an item for each player (still off of a random list, but preferably excluding other classes). Each person 'sees' only their item, if you for some reason want to trade your loot with another person then you can do so for 2 hours or whatever.

I haven't done FPs since my early 30s, but the only real sticklers I had were orange items. There were some heavy armors I wanted for looks but they came with Aim mods in them so everyone else would say it 'wasn't for my class' usually. If you want the armor for the mods and I want it for the shell, why can't I roll on it, and if I win it strip out the mods to trade to you?

Would you actually be able to trade the mods? I assumed doing something like taking the mods out would immediately expire the trade timer. Which probably didn't even exist for the mods independently anyway.

(Remember back when you couldn't trade BoP drops from flashpoints/ops at all? God that was terrible.)

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Tide posted:

Did warzone xp get nerfed into the ground? I just finished a WZ wherein I was top 3 in damage, top 3 in objectives, I have full legacy xp boosts (plus 25 percent major xp boost AND guild xp boost), am a subscriber, AND we won. My warzone reward was something about 4K and my daily WZ mission box yielded 6420 xp (67xx when actually rewarded). I'm only L13, but what the gently caress, chuck? I remember xp rewards being in the high teens for the warzone itself, nevermind the mission reward, at this level the last time I played.

Warzone XP is based purely on length of warzone and your level. A short WZ will give you less XP.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

GhostBoy posted:

Yes, you can. A char slot means one more character you can concurrently play, whether by increasing the active limit or increasing the number of total chars.

Preferred should have 6 slots anyway, I believe.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Rookersh posted:

If you go DPS Vanguard, do you shoot things at range, or is it still hitting them in the face with your gun/fists?

Vanguard DPS is mid-melee range. The mid part actually comes in very handy on some fights, but in general you should always be within 10m of the target and often you want to be within 4m.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

Currently Bolster gives you the best stats for PVP if you go in using the 55 HM or NM OPs gears. This is a fact that pubbies hate and will rage at you for wearing PVE gear into PVP. You'll be behind Expertise wise, but only by about 20 from the top PVP gear, while having almost 100 more of your main stat, and a good 90+ to Power/Surge/etc depending on what you armor adds.

Are you sure about that? Full PVE gear gives around 1400 expertise in a warzone from what I can see, whereas full PVP gear is 2018 expertise. It makes a _huge_ difference. It might be better to use one or two PVE pieces (MH, relic) but overall if you're using PVE gear you're not going to last against PVP gear.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I called him on it the first time, and he said "Sorry mate wrong button"

That's not even a workable excuse anymore, since you can trade within the group for 2 hours.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

It's my understanding that there's several important DPS abilities that require a cannon but if you only need to heal using a blaster rifle is feasible.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Rascyc posted:

I played an Operative most recently and Huttball was loving torture due to lack of a proper jump ability.

Operatives/Scoundrels are great in Huttball now for grabbing the ball first due to the hilarious roll ability.

quote:

Mercy rule (just like sports) only really exists in Huttball I think? In Huttball I think you need a 5 point difference before mercy rule just ends the game. Maybe it's 6 or 7.

Whichever team first reaches 6 goals automatically wins, the margin doesn't matter.

quote:

The Void Star win condition (that screenshot) is basically whichever attacking team gets the furthest in Void Star, or completes it the fastest. Void Star rarely completes in my experience so basically it comes down whoever got the furthest. The Warzone will end in round 2 automatically once the round 2 attacking team passes the point where round 1 ended.

So for example: in entire 10 minutes of round 1, if the attacking team never made it passed the first gate, then in round 2 the attacking team only has to get passed the first gate before the Warzone declares a winner and ends it. Presumably if they never got passed the gate in round 1, it's probably because the other team is quite a bit better. So they end up winning round 2 in about a minute, and thus ending the warzone.

No, that mechanic has been there since the beginning and the screenshot shows the match ending in Round 1, so it's somethng new.

(Incidentally this is also why Voidstar is always where you see people grab medals records, because the winning team in those situations gets a ton of time bonus medals.)

kmzh fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 19, 2013

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Actually now that I think about it I haven't actually heard of a new mercy mechanic. Are you sure Kalidore didn't DC/leave and thus triggered an early warzone shutdown? A warzone aborts if either team has 5 or less people and doesn't get backfill within 30 seconds.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

I think the main changes they made were to prevent backfilling in certain situations. Which could actually lead to more aborts in facerolls as people drop out.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

In terms of DPS/Healing gear, set piece gear will at least have the right stat proportions (low endurance Enhancements, high Power/Crit mods), even if sometimes they have stats you don't want. Comms gear generally has good mods but bad enhancements, and Verp/BM gear that drops from FPs/Ops have good enhancements and bad mods.

Tank gear is a bit weird because comms gear have terrible enhancements and decent mods (B) but not the mods that I prefer (unlettered), but then again tanking stats are a lot more fluid than DPS/Healing gear because different tanks have different preferences for mitigation vs endurance, etc.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Styles posted:

at 54 I was wearing my legacy gear full EWH min max with almost 900 power smashing level 30's for almost 10k. A level 54 will have 6-8 more core abilities to use as well as spec'ing into their respective trees for lowered cooldowns. A level 54 tank will have backhand awe and saber reflect where a level 30 will not. At level 55 full conq min max has a 10-25 percent advantage over the partisan gear without a focus on min max.

Your EWH was handicapping you because post 2.0 all of that gear lost their expertise and were worse than level 54 PVE gear. Probably the biggest unfairness of the 30-54 bracket is the special abilities each class gets at 51, but there's always going to be disparities in abilities. Back in the day it was 10-49 in one bracket. Heck, when the game started there was one bracket period.

kmzh fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 18, 2013

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Wait, the kill somebody with orb detonations one only works with actually dropping on the pylon? I assumed other orb detonations (dying with an orb, mainly) would count too.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Strategy posted:

I've never seen so many idiots in an MMO as I have this one. The 1-29 warzone bracket is infuriating.

At least the 10-29 bracket has an excuse. There's a level 55 commando on my server that runs around in half Partisan/half Conqueror Supercommando gear. I mean, yeah Bioware messed up the naming there, but you'd think he would notice after continually doing jack poo poo in warzones. (80k dmg, 50k healing.)

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Better to just search for "goon", /who search has implicit ORs between every word.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Nipponophile posted:

Warzone XP doesn't require any effort or skill on your part. It's entirely a function of how long the warzone ran and whether your team won or lost. You could literally run in circles mashing your basic attack and make at least as much XP as half the people there.

I don't think win/loss matters either. I'm pretty sure XP gain is purely a function of time.

Dexo posted:

As a healer my most hated thing I ever see in an FP is a tank that just hard focuses on one mob.

It's so hard for them to understand that they don't need to worry about their dps on one mob. If the Mob isn't in the range of their PBAOE then it's not getting tanked and instead is going to attack me.

While the tank should grab the focus of as many mobs as they can, many pulls involve spread out adds, and it's the job of DPS to kill them in weaker -> stronger order. Tons of DPS don't do this and instead only focus on the tank's target which is exactly the wrong thing to do.

Nephthys posted:

Theres no other launcher. I've turned my computer off and on again at the plug and its still doing it. I've checked Task Manager and theres nothing.

Edit: I tried to run the Fixlauncher application and it didn't work. I ran a diagnostic but I can't read this poo poo. The only thing that stuck out was:

30/07/2013 13:22 Application Error Faulting application name: Steam.exe, version: 1.84.85.72, time stamp: 0x51f2e856 Faulting module name: tier0_s.dll, version: 1.84.85.72, time stamp: 0x51f2e809 Exception code: 0x40000015 Fault offset: 0x0001dc80 Faulting process id: 0x430 Faulting application start time: 0x01ce8d27cd474a2a Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\tier0_s.dll Report Id: 1f9d6be6-f91b-11e2-855b-902b349719bd

I have no idea why its mentioning Steam.

Dunno about Steam but I know they were updating the launcher yesterday to support streamed installs or something.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Nipponophile posted:

Anyone on JC want to trade PVP kills for the Ilum achievements later tonight? I'll be on, probably screwing around with other achievements or whatnot, so yell at me in guild chat.

I'm not in the Goon guilds and it's two days later but I'd totally be up for this. I feel sorta sheepish asking about it in my own guild. I've got 1 Imp (F'Hawke) and 2 Pubs (F'Shep/Lin-Beifong) that can be used for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Heh, I mostly just lurk on a bunch of different SWTOR boards/threads because I get bored at work and I'm stupidly obsessed with this stupid game.

• Locked thread