Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

There's two, if I remember correctly, I think it's for Alison or something

Dr. Drew has mentioned that he uses the women's restroom too.

Can anyone tell me the origin of Adam hating Mountain Dew? I'm guessing it goes way back to the Loveline days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

dayman posted:

Hearing Carolla and the gang talk about the PRISM spying scandal drove me near apoplectic. The cognitive dissonance required for Adam to say in one breath that the government fucks up everything it touches, and then in the next grants the NSA carte blanche to snoop on every aspect of his life is literally insane. He must have a crystal brain because it's clearly been fractured for a long time.

Goddamn it Adam, with your libertarian leanings I really hoped you would come down on the right side of this issue but instead, you slow keyboard tapped your way into the dumbest position available in this whole mess.

I just finished that episode on the way into work this morning, and I found it a little hard to believe. For him to say it is just narcissistic people who care about PRISM is mind blowing.

It seemed really opposite of what I expected him to say.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

This really is the truth. I respect anyone who is able to be funny on his show. Adam just has such a huge personality and presence that anyone who can keep up at all tends to be genuinely talented. I havent listened to the Jo Koy episode yet, but I am excited now.

The occasional gripe I have with Adam is that he has had talented musicians, actors, and comics on that never get to say anything. There have been a few episodes in the last few months where I was genuinely interested in hearing from the guest, but instead Adam does all of the talking while the person I want to hear from barely gets to 'crack wise'. What makes it more painful is that Adam is telling a story he has already told on one of his other podcasts or already told on the ACS.

Obviously guests like Jo Koy and DAG can roll and it is always funny, but not everyone has a strong improv background.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

RightClickSaveAs posted:

$10 is the lowest level, for a copy of the screenplay and some kind of website access. $4,000 to be an extra, $10,000 for a speaking role! This sounded like a really terrible idea, but as is usually the case for these things, the barrier to entry is high enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

Speaking role is sold out.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

ultraviolence123 posted:

At least he's offering some cool stuff vs a lot of the other crowd funded projects. I'm in for $25. A shirt and a DVD together would cost that much anyway. Plus, the Bryan Cranston video was pretty funny.

When it asked for your address, did it also ask you for the state?

Mine said Country, Street Address, City.

No entry for state. I thought that was odd, and put my city and state in the City box.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
I usually don't mind Bryan, and I don't want to jump on the hate bandwagon, but his recent 15 minute long story about the lady asking about his limp at the gym was pretty bad.

I do think that the show wouldn't be the same without him. Byran has his funny moments.

What bothers me more than Bryan is Adam's constant repeating. He tells the same stories over and over and over again. Maybe it is just amplified because I listen to Ace on the House, Carcast, Adam and Drew, and ACS.

On Sunday's A&D he told the story about the air compressor/farting guy. Its a story I've heard at least 5-6 times. I know Drew has heard it before, but he couldn't remember it so Adam breaks the whole thing down again.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
I thought Bruce made some good points even though Adam blew them off. The whole thing about the driveway and Adam knowing they'd never followup was spot-on in my opinion.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

beep by grandpa posted:

I'm really getting sick of Adam making GBS threads on everyone who doesn't own a home. The way he talks about us wretched renting cretins I think if it were up to him landowners would still be the only ones allowed to vote.

Sounds good to me. :clint:

You are completely missing the point he is trying to make with that. He isn't trying to poo poo on you or Ray or anyone else. He is trying to motivate people to get out there and make something out of themselves. Obtain something. Own something. I bought my first house 2.5 years ago, and it is one of the best things I've ever done. Its nice seeing that equity (slowly) grow.

Sounds like it is working if it bothers you.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

visuvius posted:

I'm guessing some kind of low level cancer or something that was successfully treated? Maybe prostate or something?

It can't be another God damned hernia.

He said it is something that a lot of men go through, so I'm guessing it was prostate cancer too.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
For all of the Bryan haters, I thought he had a couple of good ones on today's show (LL Cool J). The Canada comment was the best IMO. I won't spoil it, because I know most people don't listen the day they are released.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Veskit posted:

Spoil it because I can't remember what it was and I want to remember. Just put up some tags or something.

When Adam was making fun of Canadians for being drunk and then misspelling his name on the Canadian Mangria bottle, Bryan said "It is a dark dark day for Canada when Adam is making fun of your spelling and drunkenness."

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
On today's ADD, I like how Adam tells Drew to start a new podcast with Bald Bryan called "Let's poo poo on Adam's Points".

I actually thought Drew had a valid point about the audio book.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Speaking of Bryan, he pissed Adam off just a little on today's show and got burned pretty hard, not just by Adam but also by a caller. "How's it worked out for you? How much money do I pay you?" :iceburn:

Also Bryan was an English major in school... why does that not surprise me at all.

It's about 37 minutes in.

I listened to this episode last night. Bryan completely deserved that. I'm not sure if Adam and Bryan had an argument before the show or what, but Bryan was being a total douche that entire episode. It started with the BTO stuff when Gary didn't put up the picture Adam wanted. Bryan chimes in with something like "Yeah Gary, scour the Internet to find the one picture that will prove Adam's point for him."

Then when David Wild said something like "I hate to agree with Adam" and Bryan chimes in with "No you don't".

Adam could have really burned Bryan if he wanted to. The whole reason Bryan has a book deal is because he works for Adam. Has nothing to do with his English degree.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
The latest A&D show (76), Adam opens up on Drew for constantly giving his "inner circle" ammo against him. He said he can't say anything now without "someone" quoting Drew or Bruce back to him. I can see Adam's point.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

What? I could have sworn he's seen Breaking Bad, he keeps talking bout what a good show it is. Really? Jesus, I know it's been said, but the man has a complete lack of self-awareness. Where does he say the thing about hosts not knowing guest's work and when does he say he hasn't seen it? I want to write about this.

He's complained about it multiple times in the last few months. He typically starts by ragging on how everyone has a podcast and how he just gets all of these requests for interviews and then he goes on the show and they don't know anything about him or Mangria. There is specific story he tells about the girl that interviewed him about Mangria. I've heard that story 2-3 times.

I don't recall him not watching Breaking Bad, so I can't confirm that.

Also, I feel really really stupid for realizing earlier this week that that ACS intro song is the Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Maybe Adam has jaded me, but my first thought was: How much did HLN pay Drew to break the news there?

I also totally called prostate cancer back in July. Seriously though, I'm glad he is okay.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Adam brings up the new house, but in a way that makes it clear he isn't trying to brag about it. The whole Lowes story with the credit card, the Full Tard story about the closet demo.

I think Drew has brought Adam's new house up more on his show though.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

What? I could have sworn he's seen Breaking Bad, he keeps talking bout what a good show it is. Really? Jesus, I know it's been said, but the man has a complete lack of self-awareness. Where does he say the thing about hosts not knowing guest's work and when does he say he hasn't seen it? I want to write about this.

What Fun posted:

So, I just had to rip off my headphones as Adam explains why it's okay for Allison to spoil the ending of breaking bad in a news story about the premiere event. And he literally just watched the first episode because his wife forced him to. What a cock. Now I have to be on guard listening to this stupid podcast while I wait for Netflix to stop dropping King of the Hill and start updating Breaking Bad.

Well, there you go.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Bryan gossip incoming. On ADS #087, Adam said Bryan wouldn't ever touch Mangria just out of principle. Then Adam said "That man's got a lot of pride." Then this morning I was listening to ACS: Penn/David Wild, and Adam was answering a question about someone he liked but that person hated him. He replied "Bryan".

Just thought it was interesting. Any other information on Brian not drinking Mangria?

Apoplexy posted:

Gotta get it on, MANDATE to get it on. Every time he says it, I realize just how dumb Adam really is, because when he originally started saying that, it was to mock radio personalities who would say such stupid things. It was ironic. Now it's not. Now it's a rote phrase he regurgitates every show. It's just so loving sad.

Get it right: Get it on, got to get it on, no choice but to get it on, mandate get it on.

Mahalo!

Sieg fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 28, 2013

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Red posted:

So is he divorced or separated?

I've only listened sporadically lately, and he seems to mention the family much less.

He talks about them a lot, just doesn't go into 45 minute rants about his wife being useless and leaving lights on and not selling enough Mangria blah blah blah.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
ADS #093 was one of the funniest shows I've heard on the Ace network in a long time. Dr. Drew busts Adam's chops pretty hard on the "Grandpa Carolla" thing. I was laughing really hard at that.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Kaptain K posted:

Victimization can become a self fulfilling prophecy and if we had a culture that didn't encourage the social currency of victimization people in general might feel better about themselves.

This was the main point of what Adam was trying to say.

Ez posted:

I didn't listen to it but let me guess, he cited his flawless "Ray didn't beat up that one disabled kid in high school therefore bullying doesn't exist" theory right?

No, but he did talk a lot about the things him, Ray, and Chris would do to each other and other members of the football team. Then he got into a weird story about this naked pool game he'd play with those guys. Drew called it homoerotic.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

ChaosMonkey posted:

You mean when they'd use jacuzzi jets to fill their colons up with water?

I wanna barf every time I hear that.

No, they played a naked pool game at night. All dudes. They would all wrestle for control of the diving board. Kind of a king of the hill sort of thing. It was a story I've never heard before, and Drew said it was the first time he had heard it too.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Grant DaNasty posted:

Today on the Adam & Drew Show:

Bullying doesn't exist. It's just guys having some fun and the wimps just need to quit being so sensitive.

Listen to ACS: Jo Koy and Bayard Winthrop for more on this. Brian was an assistant coach of Martin's and said that the entire football team was a bunch of spoiled babies.

In that episode, I think Adam more clearly defines his stance on bullying. It starts somewhere around the 1 hour mark into the show.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
I'm convinced some of you guys don't even listen to the show. Listen to ACS: Jo Koy and Bayard Winthrop. I feel like Adam made his point a lot better there than he did on the ADS episode. On the ADS show, he really got off into just telling stories.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Ariza posted:

If you had asked me 5 or 10 years ago if the person from Loveline whose show I look forward to most each week, it would definitely not have been Anderson the drunk/stoned/methed out rear end in a top hat playing drops. I like the AD and The Film Vault, where Bryan's annoying retardedness shines, a lot more than The Adam and Drew Show at this point.

Adam should shill whatever is available because he's already pretty sleazy and if you're looking to him for any sort of purchasing advice you're already hosed. Drew on the other hand, should probably not shill for poo poo that is complete hooey like psychics. Next he's going to pull a Dr Oz and start pushing lovely overpriced vitamins and magic alkaline water. It's kinda his responsibility as a practicing physician (with TV shows, Loveline, etc) to not stand behind a product that is reprehensible.

Drew has already gotten heat over deals he has made with pharma companies in the past. He was a paid spokesperson, but didn't give that disclaimer when talking about their products.

I don't care what they advertise. Real radio personalities do this crap all the time. "Oh, I just love my Comcast Internet, they are the best! Call for a special offer." "Sprint has amazing deals and plans, and they have the best service in the area in my opinion!" Just the cost of doing business.

Adam seems pretty savvy. On Ace on the House, he was talking about this 1920s fireplace he got for his new house, and how the mantle was missing. He recreated the mantle with wood and had a scenic painter come in and make it look exactly like the existing tile. I guess I don't see the sleazy part you are talking about. He sounds like any other paid spokesperson on any other station or podcast. In fact, I look forward to the ads in a way, because Adam's transitions are pretty hilarious at times. He'll be talking about Ray shoving poop in his ear, and then start talking about Stamps.com without missing a beat.

It always cracks me up how Drew hams up the Stamps.com ads.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Ez posted:

The fact that Norm's podcast only lasted for 7 or 8 episodes is one of the greatest tragedies to ever befall mankind. The Gilbert Gottfried and Super Dave episodes had me literally suffocating from laughter.

Wait, its gone? I thought they were just on an extended hiatus. This is sad news. I will stay subscribed to it in hopes it will come back.

Ariza posted:

I just meant sleazy in general though that is probably too strong of a word (savvy is probably better). I mean he'll shill anything for a buck, even things he should be opposed to based on his ranting. But he's a personality so it's fine, but I still look at Drew as a doctor first which is honestly more my personal problem. I should understand that he's a TV/radio guy first now. I've known too many doctors that get pulled into pushing bullshit for a buck and it makes me very upset. One thing we can all agree on is that the best podcast ads ever were from Norm MacDonald's short lived podcast. He made me laugh at Nick Swardson which should qualify him for some sort of award.

Yeah, I was a little disappointed when Adam started slinging the borro.com crap. Seems like something he'd be against. I'm fine with dick pills and term life insurance. I don't put Drew in the same realm as someone like Dr. Oz or Dr. Phil yet. I think he'd rather not have to do the live reads of horrible ads, but I think he genuinely enjoys having a platform like the Dr. Drew Show. I think both he and Adam dispense sound advice most of the time.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Grant DaNasty posted:

Speaking of drops, what's the origin of the Allison drop about Daniel?

It sounds like she's saying "My feel good Daniel" while holding her tongue. I googled it, and it just says she was saying "My fiance Daniel". Why did it come out sounding that way?

She was mocking people (and herself) who always work "my fiance" into the mix, when just saying "Daniel" would be sufficient.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Holy Cheese posted:

Norm Macdonald had a podcast? :stare:

Yes, and you should download all of the episodes. Its amazing.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
I was listening to ARIYNBF: Ray Oldhafer last night, and Alison and Ray got into a very interesting discussion about Adam's stage presence on the podcast and at live shows. They both agreed that Adam felt like he has an obligation to the fans to fill the entire stage, and that can lead to him not letting guests talk. If Adam senses a hesitation or the guest doesn't just jump in at the level he is at, there won't be room for the guest. Adam isn't really looking for an exchange with the guest like a traditional interview, but more of the back and forth of sketch comedy or improv.

I've heard Adam scold Drew for not speaking up as much at live shows, and it sounds like Adam doesn't consciously know he is doing this. His perception is that the other person is just bad. Probably why Adam has DAG and Jo Koy on so much, because they will jump in and take their own space. Ray and Alison agreed that Adam loved sharing the spotlight, but to share the space, he has got to know you are ready to roll. It was a really interesting look at why Adam sometimes crowds out really great guests.

Even if you don't listen to Alison's show, this is really worth a listen.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Niwrad posted:

Is there an app that has all the shows from the network on it? I have an Android phone and am trying to get Adam & Drew in the car but can't find it without going through the site. Adam's new app is nice, but it only has his main show on it.

I'm not an Android guy, but I'm sure there are a bunch of really good podcast players on Google Play. I would recommend subscribing to all of the feeds using a third party app, and not the Carolla Digital app. However, Gary Half-tard said the other day that they are working on getting all of the Carolla Digital podcasts into the app.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Grant DaNasty posted:

Does anyone else struggle with the decision whether to keep listening to Adam? I've been listening to his main show and Adam & Drew Show for a long while now, and most of the time I enjoy it. It's great that I have a daily podcast to listen to at work, and there are several times where he's made me laughed out loud.

But he keeps saying poo poo and that infuriates me to no end. "You see, some bullying is good. Fat kids need to be made fun of so they'll have incentive to lose weight." "Poor people don't deserve healthcare." "Edward Snowden is a traitor. If you're not a terrorist you have nothing to worry about if the government spies on you." And then today on Adam & Drew he even offended Dr. Drew by saying "Half the people in this city came here on loving donkey from Tijuana and they don't even read. Half the people in this town are so loving dumb."

I keep coming back because most of the time I find him funny, but it just keeps getting closer to that point where I'm going to have to unsubscribe.

Most of the time you enjoy it and most of the time you find it funny. What is the problem? Comedians say stupid and offensive things to get a laugh.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The problem is they usually do it in a way that makes it fairly obvious they don't really think that way. Carolla's ignorant bullshit tends to be couched in "Telling it like it is" style stuff, and while it works sometimes, it sometimes comes off as ignorant as gently caress.

Maybe Bald Bryan could play the comedy badum-tssssh sound after each bit so you would know he was joking. :rimshot:

The dude does a 90 minute podcast 5 days a week, plus three other podcasts. That's about 10 hours a week worth of time to fill. He uses a lot of personal anecdotes where he exaggerates certain aspects to make it funny or show worthy. Like when his kid's teacher called Adam out in front of all the kids and parents for being wrong when Adam was right. Adam went off about it the next show. It got back to the teacher through a "concerned" third-party, and it offended her. He did a pretty good job on the following episode explaining how his style of comedy works.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
I just noticed that Bald Bryan was on Drew's podcast yesterday to talk about his book: Shrinkage: Manhood, Marriage, and the Tumor that tried to kill me.

Any bets on how that went?

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Bald Bryan was pretty good on Drew. I thought it was funny that Bryan's off air friends called him smug and self-satisfied when he gave them an anonymous personality test. He says Bryan Bishop is way better about it, but Bald Bryan the on air persona hasn't changed. So I guess he is intentionally annoying to Adam to generate drama? I'm not sure, I haven't listened to Bryan anywhere else.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Ez posted:

Drew has said specifically on Loveline that it's just about surrendering yourself and you don't need to be a theist, you can "give yourself over" to fate or the universe or something, as long as it's some sort of larger force. It's not like all 12-step groups are the same either, there are some hardcore Christian ones and some that are completely secular.

I don't remember what episode it was, but a guy called in to either ADS or DDS fairly recently and said he didn't want to do a 12 step program because he was an atheist. Drew said exactly this same thing. It is about realizing you are a tiny speck in the scope of time and space or whatever you have to do.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yo can we get back to discussions by people who actually still listen to the show, everyone is aware there are tons of great podcasts out there. I don't care for Howard Stern yet somehow I am able to contain myself from going into that thread and proselytizing people to listen to Ask Mr. Biggs instead (Mr. Biggs is pretty rad though, you should listen to it although they haven't updated in over a year). If everyone's New Years Resolution was to stop listening to nasally ranting then this thread shall die a natural death and that is the way of things.
Thanks for stoppin by

I agree. It is one thing to listen to the show and have specific issues with episodes or a particular Adam rant, but this is just getting a little out of control.

I thought Adam's State of the Union 2014 episode was really good.

Gratitude = Happiness. Super easy to get focused on the small piles of dog poo poo in our life, and completely miss all of the other really great things happening to us. I thought it was really insightful of Adam actually, and I hope he sticks with it.

Also, on Adam's new house. He claims it isn't as impressive as the old house. But if it is next door to Vince Vaughn's house, I'm guessing it is still really nice.

Especially if this is the house Adam lives next to: http://curbed.com/archives/2013/04/29/vince-vaughn-buys-mundane-house-your-parents-would-love.php

I guess CA has a different definition of mundane. A tennis court, pool, and 5,500 square feet doesn't sound all that mundane to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Off-topic a little, but Bald played a Norm drop recently and we talked about Norm's podcast a couple of pages ago, so close enough. I guess Norm recently tweeted that the podcast is coming back in Feb 2014. Norm and Adam Eget were writing a screenplay which is why they took the long break.