Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Saint Jimmy posted:

Man, this is why you don't go into business with your friends.

And I hate each and every jingle on the show, almost as much as I hate when adam calls allison "baby girl"

That goes back to Loveline, he called callers that on the regular...I found it irritating then, so I can imagine why this would grate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Brian's appearance on WTF was solid, he really opened up. And was funny in the process.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
One of the best Man Show skits has to be the bit where they hired a bikini model to go to a swimsuit store, where she'd try on suits and have random guys in the store hold her stuff and additional suits and tell her how she looked. And of course, they were incredulous because she'd be falling out of these tiny swimsuits. I believe in one guy's case his wife caught them? At any rate, it was funny stuff.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Somewhere, Doug Stanhope is sad that cancer didn't finish Drew off.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Adam also seemed more progressive back then; he would at least let somebody say something stupid before being a dick about it, usually.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ez posted:

Adam managed it :smug:

What he never mentions of course (and I know you were being sarcastic) is that he became rich and famous largely by benefit of knowing Jimmy Kimmel. This isn't to say Adam's not capable of being funny, but he was struggling pretty bad before he started doing radio with Jimmy, to hear him tell it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ez posted:

And if Jimmy hadn't met Kevin and Bean he wouldn't be where he is today. While I don't entirely disagree with you there's probably one of those "big break" moments in every successful show biz person's career and I don't think its fair to just flat out say "if X never happened then they would never be Y". Maybe if Adam hadn't met Jimmy he would have made it on his own, maybe he wouldn't. Maybe he'd be successful in some other way because I don't think you can disagree with the fact that Adam does work really hard for his money. Though in Adam's world since he accomplished something, everybody who can't do the same is either stupid or lazy.

Right, I understand that everybody needs a break to make it in life (especially so in entertainment), I just find it odd that Adam doesn't understand given how things worked out for him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sieg posted:

Most of the time you enjoy it and most of the time you find it funny. What is the problem? Comedians say stupid and offensive things to get a laugh.

The problem is they usually do it in a way that makes it fairly obvious they don't really think that way. Carolla's ignorant bullshit tends to be couched in "Telling it like it is" style stuff, and while it works sometimes, it sometimes comes off as ignorant as gently caress.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Niwrad posted:

Drew is sneaky in that I'm pretty sure he's conservative on most issues but doesn't let it out much on the air. Kind of lets Adam do the talking and then nods his head. Remember that Drew was strongly against gay marriage years ago and came around when his popularity became more mainstream.

Drew also tries to push 12 stepping as the only effective way to quit substance abuse, which doesn't sound like a big deal until you realize that it forces people who aren't in touch with their spiritual side to acknowledge a higher power. That's a fairly conservative viewpoint (and Drew should loving know better).

There's also the fact that, for some people, 12 stepping isn't the answer, regardless of faith.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There's a stunning amount of disconnect in Adam loving Carolla decrying narcissism, And I would have said that while he was still on Loveline.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Cyberball 2072 posted:

It was okay, nothing special, nothing terrible. Getting a little tired of hearing Drew boo hoo about Dr. Oz being tricked into saying untrue things by the entertainment industry.

Has Drew ever acknowledged Doug Stanhope's problem with people like Drew and Dr.Oz?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Its hilarious that he does not seem to get it.

This is the same guy who once shouted down somebody who tried to explain why Adam pays more than taxes than Engineer Anderson. Adam seriously did not understand why a millionaire paid a higher percentage of his income than somebody who made less than 20K a year. Adam has a HUGE entitlement/ victim complex.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ariza posted:

Sorry, I guess I just needed to get on my high horse for a second and take offense to something today. Carolla is mostly annoying in everything he champions anymore and I particularly hate how much he says his line hasn't changed throughout his career. He really needs some humility, and I think once Lynette leaves him and takes the kids and his fortune finally drains, we'll get the old Adam back.

You gotta be kidding me. If anything, he'll become more bitter, because nobody's around to ground him (not that they help much now, but imagine how much worse it'd get).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Janay Rice thing particularly bugs me. Not only is it morally reprehensible, but Adam used to mock dickheads who abused their partners on Loveline. Now he's okay with victim blaming? The gently caress?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JB50 posted:

Sarah Silverman sucks anyway, her 15 minutes is pretty much up.

Look at the wrong opinion everybody

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jesus christ, he had Chuck C Johnson on the show.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

misdirectomy posted:

It's weird because Adam's genuinely a one in a million comedic talent but he's convinced himself that if only poor people had the GRIT and HUSTLE he has they too could live in the Hollywood Hills and have over 9000 sports cars.

Who also got the opportunity mainly because he knew the right person

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
This has to be close to rock bottom for him creatively, yes?

http://www.avclub.com/article/adam-carolla-needs-your-money-really-stick-it-thos-255896

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Adam could have been an icon for the left as a guy who came up knowing what it was like to truly be poor. Instead, he's become the type of rear end in a top hat he used to mock. He's dangerously close to being an objectivist, which I'm positive I remember him mocking (those of you with stronger knowledge of Loveline, feel free to correct me).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

WEH posted:

Drew called him either a leftist or bleeding heart liberal on one of the shows from like 98 because adam supported like a needle exchange program or some poo poo and he answered in the affirmative so it's been a wild ride from that to what I can only assume will culminate to an appearance with Milo

This is sad to me because safe injection sites are statistically proven to help people get clean. I'm glad Adam said it at the time, maybe it helped somebody see the light on the issue, but to see him change so radically is sad. Associating with Prager in particular loving disgusts me.

For me, the initial sign he'd given up on coming off as a lefty was when he ranted and raved and shouted down a teenager off the phone (and wouldn't let her get in a word edgewise) about why he, a well compensated man (not sure if he was a millionaire but he had to be doing well, because the Man Show was around and it was successful when he was there) should have to pay more in taxes then some schlub who makes like, 18,000 a year. The disconnect of a guy who used to share a 2 bedroom apartment with 4 people to make ends meet saying this was impressive. ZERO self-awareness.

Occasionally, I wonder if Jimmy's called him on any of this poo poo, because Jimmy seems kinda leftist these days. I know Sarah Silverman's basically bailed on him (given her political views, pretty unsurprising). It's funny, I think my respect for Jimmy has grown in roughly the same magnitude that my respect for Adam has dissipated. The time he roasted Leno for loving over Conan was great. Making fun of LPers was money. His speech about Obamacare pissed off all the right people. I feel like Kimmel does the best job of capturing Letterman's old spirit (although some of Chris Gethard's stuff is pretty inspired, like the Dumpster and P.Diddy episodes).

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 26, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

Silverman is a loving idiot, why do you think she bailed on Jimmy though? I would see him being close to her politically although Silverman strikes me as the type that calls anyone a sexist racist xenophobe the moment you disagree with her on anything politically from her recent antics on twitter :( she used to be strong as gently caress

I don't think so, Jimmy's the whole reason Adam's not still digging ditches

She bailed on Adam is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion. She pretty much publicly stated she didn't want to do podcasts or anything like that with him because he'd gotten unbearable, and he'd developed a bad habit of shouting down people who disagree with him. Which, regardless of what one thinks of Sarah, has kind of been an issue of Adam's for most of his career.

I will point out that I agree Sarah is more uniformed than flat out dumb. I feel that she earnestly believed there was little difference between Bernie and Hillary, and to be fair to her, she supported Bernie as well. I think for her, like a lot of people, either of them would have been a better choice than what the U.S. ended up with.

Apoplexy posted:

People believe Adam has an inferiority complex because he's literally an inferior human being.

That, and he's spent a large portion of his career whining about people above him on the food chain in Hollywood getting opportunities while he doesn't. He doesn't get that many of these people are proven box office draws with range and talent. Adam has one character: everyman who sees through society's bullshit. Like if he wants to bitch about DAG not getting a chance, okay, fine, because I do think DAG's underutilized. But Adam, as he likes to point out, is literally a millionaire. And he keeps whining like he's some great undiscovered talent who hasn't gotten a fair shake. I saw the Hammer, it's crap on a bun. I don't imagine any of his other movies are any better.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That's a really bad look for Adam, but that seems commonplace for him

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JGdmn posted:

Adam is only truly great when he's punching up.

Even twenty years ago when he was yelling at dumb teenagers there was at least a tenderness when poo poo was truly awful.

Yelling at teens is fine when they're doing something dumb and they need someone to be firm but ultimately supportive, which is what you were gettin' at.

What Adam is doing now is desperately clinging on to keep up his lifestyle. Really, Carolla? Dennis fuckin' Prager? At least Miller used to be reasonably popular and well-liked, Prager's always been a niche thing at best.

I think what bugs me is Prager is exactly the type of right wing jackoff Adam used to mock.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 25, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Nah, he never ranted about taxes and poo poo on Loveline, or at least not nearly as much as he does now, getting a lot of money changed him.

I distinctly remember him screeching about how it's stupid that someone making 19K is taxed less, percentage wise, than a rich person and then getting really mad at a girl who called in to try and explain it to him, to the point where she was almost in tears. I can't remember what episode, although it'd follow that it was after he made money from the Man Show, (boy, did he and Jimmy ever diverge, I seriously wonder if they're still friends). It was one of the first times I heard Adam be truly lovely to someone who didn't really deserve it, I mean he yelled at folks from the get go, but they often said or admitting to doing reprehensible or wacko poo poo, but he was pretty even keeled at the beginning, subjectively speaking.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 20, 2019

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Medullah posted:

I stuck with him for quite a bit longer than I should have. The final nail in the coffin for be was when he fired Alison. Listened to one show with Gina and said nope, I'm done

I kept hoping he'd smarten up, lost track of him for a while then I heard about his working relationship with that dirt bag Prager, and welp

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

*wife-rapist

That wife-raping Dennis Prager. He admits he rapes his wife.

Hence me calling him a dirtbag

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Did he have a fallout with Ray? Is Bald Bryan still around?

I think Ray sued him?

I always thought it damning that DAG bailed on him

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1301214804321935360

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Not like I have a shortage of podcasts to listen to now that there's little commuting happening, but I just recently stumbled across Jim Jefferies' new-ish one "I Don't Know About That".

I've always liked Jim but haven't followed him since he was doing a podcast from another comedian and roommate's house (Jim and Eddie Talk poo poo), and was kinda wondering how his success had treated him. It's striking how much funnier and less lovely a person he seems to have turned out to be than Adam while being a similarly loquacious curmudgeon. The one or two times I remember him being on the show he was always great, and one of the guests who could out-talk Adam.

Jim is significantly more self aware than Adam. He's also a way better comedian. I think part of Adam's shift comes from a combo of the realization that his fame peaked and his ego (while also being savvy enough to realize the right wing gift is stupid lucrative). Jim's ego is healthy but less noticeable.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Adam isn't a skeptic so much as a dumbass with litany of bad opinions

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lake of Methane posted:

Adam is not someone who wields command or authority well. Back when I listened, he usually seemed to know what he wanted to happen, but no idea how to make it happen with anything other than coercion and some money.

It would be nice if this were a Road to Damascus moment for getting some perspective about how he moves through society.

Unfortunately he has some gently caress you money and a cadre of ghouls he admires to push-through with some "stoicism" and "its woke culture's fault" bullshit.

I'm just picturing him complaining about being single and it's cringe as gently caress

Wonder how Lynette felt about Adam throwing in with Dennis "Marital Rape is impossible " Prager

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I remember a photo bring posted in this thread about the kid wiping out (post wipeout), kid looked real upset

Mightve been from Twitter?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

WEH posted:

I snipped it out of the quote earlier instead of just spoilering it for some reason :nws::nws:

It was kosher back then dunno if it'd fly now

Frankly I appreciate it

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

I no longer care what stupid horrifying bullshit adam has said throughout his rightwing bootstraps blahblah poo poo, the act of abandoning your young child at a hospital, who has a head injury, all by himself to go to a concert is most of the more revolting things I've ever heard of in my entire life

I know I'm sounding dramatic but this just really upsets me

It's especially bad when you stop to consider how often Adam threw his parents under the bus for not being there for him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Blowjob Overtime posted:

"My dad went to go record some podcasts and my mom went to a concert, so they left me at the hospital with a head-wound" could easily be an Adam story about his parents if you replaced podcasts with doing AM talk radio or something.

Ugh, yes.

I wish he was still doing Loveline and espousing vaguely lefty takes with the odd right wing take that Drew or callers mock him for. It'd be funny if this kid ended up a left wing firebrand out of bitterness towards his folks (Adam would still take credit for it, though).

I remember the Loveline feed back when I still used iTunes. Good times. Also, gently caress Giovanni.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 13, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Him being useless in construction is funny considering he's got a TV show built around catching sloppy contractors in the act

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think one of my first indicators was a polite young woman calling in to try and explain why rich people paying greater taxes than people who are poor or middle class is fine, and Adam didn't just disagree, he brutally shouted her down. I believe it was a year or two after he got The Man Show.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 29, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Listened to NNF today (the guest was the delightful Blaine Capatch) and they were talking about cars and started riffing on Adam's unfortunate transformation.

Blaine mentioned previously owning a Carolla and Jimmy asked if it started out as as fun car that gradually got more right wing and mean.

It's wild to me that a good deal of the comedy community thinks nothing of just blasting him, although he certainly deserves it

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Medullah posted:

Ugh I still find myself saying that from time to time

I do "Sssssssshhhhhhooooocccckkking" sometimes. Adam was funny, once. He's just completely disappeared up.his own rear end.

Dave Chappelle disease is a terrible thing.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

holefoods posted:

Would the old adam rant against this one? I don’t think his viewpoints changed much I think he just landed on the stupidest side of things he could have.

I definitely remember him complaining about rich people 's separation from reality