Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Wow, Donny's suing Adam again: http://www.tmz.com/2013/06/03/adam-carolla-lawsuit-photos/

quote:

The BITTER personal feud between Adam Carolla and a childhood friend just got pettier ... Donny Misraje is suing Carolla, saying the podcasting king published 2 old photos in his book without permission ... according to docs obtained by TMZ.

The pics are crappy point-and-shoot stuff ... one shows a group of friends from '85, and the other is a snapshot of the comedian in '84. Both appeared in Carolla's "Not Taco Bell Material," released last June.

Misraje claims he was a big part of Carolla's growing media empire in the beginning ... they'd been besties for 30 YEARS ... but he got the boot in September 2011 when Carolla brought in business managers who clashed with Misraje. He sued Carolla in January for breach of contract ... that lawsuit is still pending.

Misraje says he took the photos and therefore owns the copyrights, so he's entitled to unspecified damages. But the real knife-twister -- he wants the court to force Carolla to recall all unsold copies of the book and turn them over "for destruction" ... this according to the federal lawsuit filed last week in California.

We reached out to Carolla for comment -- so far, no word back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Yeah, I remember hearing him call it the "nectar of the tards" early on the MTV version of Loveline.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

dayman posted:

Hearing Carolla and the gang talk about the PRISM spying scandal drove me near apoplectic. The cognitive dissonance required for Adam to say in one breath that the government fucks up everything it touches, and then in the next grants the NSA carte blanche to snoop on every aspect of his life is literally insane. He must have a crystal brain because it's clearly been fractured for a long time.

Goddamn it Adam, with your libertarian leanings I really hoped you would come down on the right side of this issue but instead, you slow keyboard tapped your way into the dumbest position available in this whole mess.

Does anyone know where Adam's viewpoint of anti-terrorism at all costs originated from? He's so pragmatic with normal everyday stuff that it just seems so odd he would be in favor of sacrificing everything to prevent something that, in 12 years, has killed less American civilians than food poisoning does each year. Is it just his hate of Muslims?
I don't think he hates Muslims, I think he's basically stuck in September 12, 2001 when it comes to terrorism/terrorists. He still routinely spouts that the terrorists hate America because of our wealth and dumb stuff like reality TV and celebrities. I think he just pays so little attention to what's actually going on in that division of government because it doesn't directly affect him.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Adam should just stop trying to shoehorn movie segments into the show. It sucks with Bryan and it sucks with the incredibly boring Rotten Tomatoes guy.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

visuvius posted:

Dude I think I'm going to order the Man Show box set or something after listening to that. I never really caught it when it was on the air but I know they had some funny bits. Pretty much any of the ones they play the audio of on the show make me laugh. Adams "serious guy" acting is hilarious.
The Man Show was really funny, and so many people judged it without watching it. If you were to look at the commercials, and the live audience, you'd think it was the most horrible unfunny show ever. But it was actually really satirical, and was pretty much a send-up of chauvinistic male culture.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I also don't think Adam is a hateful racist, but the clip that got Andy Kindler all riled up is pretty indefensible. I don't have it handy, but it's Adam angrily talking about Mexicans, and he straight-up says "Our culture is superior to theirs." He literally uses those words, which is pretty much the definition of racism.

But that girl who called in about the black guy/children is a strange case. I don't even know what you'd call that, when you're dating, attracted-to, and have sex with a black guy, but don't want black kids. Biological racism maybe? I don't know.

EDIT: And I think Adam's hated of the poor is pretty clearly a reflection of how he feels about his own family, not necessarily other races who happened to be predominately poor.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The Greg Proops show was good too. I love Greg, someone earlier mentioned how it's always the 1980s in Carolla's mind, Greg gleefully pointed that out about Carolla's choice of examples for mall stores.
This was hilarious, Greg's incredulous reaction was great (btw I had to look it up, and the two mall stores Adam mentioned went out of business in 1992 and 1996). The entire show was actually really good, and both Adam and Greg were really on. I actually love it when Adam sarcastically does 5/10 minutes on mundane stuff like nachos and food textures and stuff, and before they even started "What Can't Adam Complain About" he did 10 minutes on the roof of your mouth being too sensitive.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Red posted:

Why was Adam poor growing up? I thought his dad was/is a psychologist or psychiatrist or something. Didn't he give Ray therapy for like 15-20 years?
I'm pretty sure his dad just worked at a special ed school, so I doubt he was making huge money. His mom was on welfare, and his dad probably made a somewhat-decent living, but just wasn't interested in spending money.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Beyond that, I'm positive old man Carolla doesn't even consider the most prominent form of bullying kids face today, which is online via Facebook and such.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I like Dana Gould a lot but I had to bail after 10 minutes of the podcast he hosted. He just kept steamrolling over Alison with the most unfunny, nonsensical bullshit. She kept trying to tell a story about recording a song in studio with her band, and he just kept interrupting so much that I never even heard the story.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

That's too bad about Alison. I haven't listened to the show much lately, but I always thought she was really funny and earnest. Never got the "hey I'm just one of the guys" try-hard vibe from her at all, which is how all of his other "newsgirls" came off to me.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Regarding Alison and the dog, since I don't listen regularly I didn't realize she had been going on so much about it. But I did listen to an episode around Thanksgiving (having not listened in months) and was a little surprised to hear her say she was having a "bad Oliver day." The only other time I'd heard a phrase like "bad [name of deceased person] day" was from a parent who lost a child.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I've never thought Adam was a stone-cold racist like many people think, and usually his racial stuff is done in humor. But he had a lot of stuff in his last book that just sounded straight-up racist and ignorant. I liked his first audiobook (at the time I had never heard his radio show or podcast, so most of the rants were new to me), I skipped the second book but I checked out President Me. Even hearing it in his voice, some parts just made me scratch my head why he'd include them. There's a big section where he gives a "State of the Earth Address" where just criticizes and generalizes countries and regions, and again, there's really no humor there. Stuff like calling everyone in the middle east "a bunch of Bin Laden lovers." It's all said in anger, not lighthearted humor.

Boinks posted:

Yeah I agree about his ignorance. I think it all stems from his "real world" experience being over 20 years old now.

Like it bugs me when he says you can get a taco at Taco Bell for 40 cents, etc etc.
Haha yeah, he still will reference Pepsi Free, which stopped being called that in 1987.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 10, 2015

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

Adam could probably kill David Wild's family and David would still suck up to him. I'll never forget when David was referencing a book he wrote (right around the time Not Taco Bell Material came out) and he said "It was in a book I wrote which I'm really proud of...I'm really proud of your book too, and..."

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

pangstrom posted:

Loveline was good because Adam had good ideas and could express them convincingly with metaphor and humor, AND because he was addressing actual peoples' problems with them. Now it's mostly addressing minor very-specific-to-his-life bothers that he writes down on buck slips. And yeah he had less other stuff going on / was more focused / was younger.
I think there are two more important distinctions. At Loveline, he was dealing with the masses calling in. On his own show, it's his own fans - super fans at that, since they're the ones paying attention to twitter to call into a taped show. So instead of a clueless 16 year old who's easy to make fun of, it's "Hey Ace man, love the show, love Mangria..." Way less potential for entertainment there.

And the other one is he wasn't in charge at Loveline. He could show up 1 minute before going on, gently caress around for two hours and then leave and never think about the studio until the next day. Now it's his studio, his broadcast, his money. Now he obsesses over who's using his studio and his resources and micromanaging poo poo like who is leaving mugs out and chip bags open. I know he talked about that stuff on Loveline, but it's got a way more personal slant now. At Loveline it was comedic musings about open cans of food in the fridge and such, now he acts like it's a giant "gently caress you" to him if a co-worker (his employee) leaves an open bottle of Coke on the table.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I haven't listened to the Carolla show in forever, but I just went to the site and I noticed he's now with Podcast One. How long has that been going on? Does he no longer consider himself "the pirate ship"? I thought Podcast One were the same corporate guys behind Westwood One.