Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

WEH posted:

I just want to know how Adam can think he's paying “basically 50 percent” of his income on taxes.
I'm not a tax expert but being super rich and paying Federal + California State tax probably gets you close, though I'm sure just with standard business-owner shuffling his effective rate comes down some. I remember when Phil Michelson said 62% people said that was impossible but that it WAS possibly something like 52%.

Just to echo what you and Thurlow said about the recent A&DD episode (I listen to that, DD show, and Ace on the House): I tune Adam out when I know where he's going so that episode seemed like it was, in total, about 2 minutes long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I have an initial adverse reaction but I love those interviews (Lohan was the other one I remember)--they don't exist anywhere else. Broken people are usually broken for reasons and Dr. Drew's compassionate, slow interview where they get their guard down is a great window into their strange brains and lives. They're almost like short audio documentaries.

edit: As a mostly-fan of Dr. Drew, it is really hard to listen to him pimp Lumosity and "the science of neuroplasticity". It's harder than his patients' suicides and the Wellbutrin thing.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 28, 2013

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I liked the #1 Sports and the Dr. Spaz ones. Some musician poster said the missed guitar notes drove him nuts on the Dr. Spaz one, but I didn't notice. Even those are just a push, though, and the other ones were actively annoying.

They definitely feel like some producer dogma that would get dropped when you started podcasting, but people write stuff like this as favors/for cheap and maybe Adam thinks it eats time.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
You know those people who say they don't watch their team because they turn the game on and the QB immediately throws a pick-6? I'm starting to think I'm like that with Adam, since I tuned in and after stripper talk (fine, nothing noteworthy other than wow Coco is dumb and who is that kid over there) to watch a re-visitation of the "apple intentionally makes their iphones droppable" argument.

STILL GOING JESUS

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Niwrad posted:

Why does Adam think it's good radio/pod to have them watch a video that none of us can see? The Cranston video isn't terrible because a lot of us have seen it, but it's bizarre when he plays videos of his races for the people in the studio. It's 10 minutes of them watching a video with almost no sound and pointing out things on the video none of us can see.
For the Cranston video it was at least partly a way to get people to watch the video / donate to his movie. The races I've "seen" him do (don't watch the main show anymore) aren't much of a mystery, it's basically like Adam shadowboxing for Wladimir Klitschko. Sometimes there's a point shoehorned in there but mostly it's there because it makes him feel good.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think you are talking about when Adam was telling someone involved in his nascent pilot (maybe someone with the relevant network) that Bryan was no longer going to be able to work on it. (And he breaks up doing that)

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 6, 2013

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Anyone else have the thought that Drew decided to hang with Carano because Carano films everything and it was his only way to get on camera? It's the fame addict's equivalent to an alcoholic drinking hand sanitizer.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Ribsauce posted:

You should try sometime. It took me 3 tries and 20 hours to figure out how to fix my motorcycle carburetor, but when I finally did it I was so stoked. Like Niwrad said, using youtube you can learn to do most tasks now. The worst that happens is you screw up and find some guy on craigslist to come unfuck what you've royally hosed for 20 bucks an hour.

I use podkicker for my podcasts on Android and it works fine.
Well, most of the time. I almost blew up my gas oven when I put a new hsi in backwards.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's mostly about giving up control. This is in my humble and only somewhat-informed opinion a tough but critical thing for most addicts.

The other thing that addicts do when people try to move towards separating them from their drug of choice is quickly get angry and :qq: and desperate and that higher power thing is an easy target. But that said yeah it's an easy target for a reason and as Drew would say, fine, enjoy!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Even beyond the direct hassle, it just is sort of a marker for a mindset that drives Adam nuts. It's narcissism and/or codependency and it's not even with other people it's with your dog.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

escape artist posted:

Still, "podcast comedians" isn't a huge market. It probably didn't cost too much, and people familiar with him as "a podcast comic" are likely to check it out. Seems like it was a pretty savvy move to me.
Yeah I've noticed amongst the omnipresent podcast advertisers (audible, GoToMeeting, Stamps.com, squarespace, proflowers & sheri's berries at seasonal times... I'm sure there are others) that advertisements for other podcasts are starting to pop up. I think it's because podcast producers know that podcasts are, for the number of ears they're getting, cheap to advertise on / desperate for sponsorship.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, it makes sense for podcasters because this amount of money would hurt even him and I buy his argument that there is a collective interest in beating this back. I *could* pay to replace a shared fence myself but I'm going to ask my neighbor to go 50/50 on it because that's fair. Podcasts being podcasts though ultimately it's going to have to be mostly fans footing the bill to the extent we're willing.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

How ironic. Today's ACS has Adam trashing people for making their own movies and them being "big piles of poo poo."

This from a guy who has almost totally segregated himself from Hollywood and can't get a movie made without having it be a kickstarter.
There is a lot of attribution error among actors/artists, they think that problems are usually caused by limits on their creativity etc. So when they get control of a project and that project turns out terrible well it's tougher to externalize that.

Adam is making this point because he has heard actors complain this way a lot and also likes RANKING METRICS/exposing hacks, especially in ways that validate him :) It's hard to argue whether person X is better than person Y but looking at the things they spearheaded is a better metric than most.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Has Drew ever acknowledged Doug Stanhope's problem with people like Drew and Dr.Oz?
Well, he's addressed it on the topic of addiction and treatment many times (on which Drew is much more in the right, by the way). I don't know if Stanhope has a take on lovely medical infotainment/commercials but yeah I would guess Stanhope is much more in the right there.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

It was okay, nothing special, nothing terrible. Getting a little tired of hearing Drew boo hoo about Dr. Oz being tricked into saying untrue things by the entertainment industry.
It was terrible even the first time. Drew can be such a chickenshit when the subject veers towards people/industries who could give him a paycheck or exposure and things he's afraid of happening to him, though here he's so wrong it's almost more brave than it is cowardly.

edit: Koppelman (most recent guest) went at this kind of headlong. I couldn't tell if Adam (who was saying "thank you guest" in kind of a freighted way) was pissed that the guest was taking Drew to task or glad that the guest was saying something Adam had told Drew himself.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 12, 2014

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's mostly an attempt to keep the door open for future action, to the extent the settlement is going to permit that for podcasters not named. "It's not that we don't deserve to get paid it's that..."

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

ChaosMonkey posted:

Didn't Adam have Ray Romano on the podcast early on and it was like listening to a blanket talk about watching grass grow?
I remember this one and yes.

I mean, he mostly came across as really neurotic. Not as neurotic as say Fred Stoller but definitely like halfway there. I got the sense that he could have given a much better interview but he was doing the whole thing leaning back with his arms crossed for some reason. Just to say: I didn't think "man this guy is unfunny" I thought "man this guy doesn't want to be here".

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Moniker posted:

He was going over-kill on the last episode. Probably some sort of awkward tick thing to fill the space of Alison. I really am bummed that she's gone. I don't buy the excuse.
Maybe she asked for a raise or something which precipitated the ending, but I buy the "not a sidekick" thing. Not saying it's a good thing and I haven't listened to the show unless I like the guest for the last few years but, opposite to how Eskimos have a billion words for snow (they don't), Adam overly-employs a single phrase to cover disagreeing with him or a different take or even just making a sidebar and that phrase is "making GBS threads on my point". There are definite instances of pointless contrarianism where Adam is totally right, but most of the time he doesn't want a conversation with the crew. He wants a monologue where people chip in around the edges. He's much better when he's reacting to what other people say and not going off his preloaded stuff (they served non-canonical food on the plane! I don't know if I want it round or straight in the back [figure it out]! I got 'tude from a minimum wage dummy!) but as long as he interviews people more than he does the "now do this bit" move there will be stuff worth listening to (for me).

Alison is smart and nice but I personally didn't want to listen to her much. She wasn't contrarian, she just had her own things to say, was sensitive and would get stuck on/ruminate on things that were personally relevant to her. She's basically a less-negative Mark Maron, who would also be a bad sidekick and who I also don't want to listen to much. Gina Grad was actually my choice back when I listened to the show on-the-regular, because she's smart but seemed more of an even-keeled "move the conversation forward" person, though really Alison turned out to be pretty good, too.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Also, podcasts aren't impossible to go solo on but it's nice if there is an existing place to use the studio, mics, producers/interns, borrow guests passing through, tap into advertising options, etc.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's hard to say from here but I would guess that if Carolla's life goes to hell it will be due to his working too much more than his drinking too much.

Agree it was probably in Alison's interest to leave. Assuming she keeps her show going I'm sure she'll give a straight version as to what she thinks happened.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Medullah posted:

I doubt she'll say anything. If it was something awful, she won't say anything because of a potential lawsuit, and if it was something trivial she'll avoid saying anything to not trash her relationship with Adam further. No sense burning bridges if they're not already smoldering.
She has a largely-confessional podcast and this is the question 90% of her fans are interested in. I think the lawsuit talk is silly and I doubt saying what happened is going to further burn any bridges, and even if I'm wrong she can corporate-it-up a little.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Niwrad posted:

I doubt that. Teresa was pretty liberal and so is Bald Bryan. The chemistry between the two got worse and worse over the last year that I think he just realized they needed to change. Alison's brand of humor is much different from Adam's. They are both better off this way.

I'm disappointed he didn't try to bring in a young up-and-coming comedian to replace her though. Gina Grad is generic female radio sidekick #484823. Find some local talent, have them sit-in for a few shows, and see if you find someone who connects. This idea of a "newsgirl" is so outdated.
It's possible that's the plan and Grad is just a placeholder. He's going to try out others he said.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
He would still be working, it's just how he's wired.

http://www.thewrap.com/adam-carollas-fired-sidekick-alison-rosen-breaks-silence-i-wish-adam-had-talked-to-me/

So basically Alison got an email out of the blue over the holidays. I tend to think getting fired is sort of the same no matter the kayfabe but that's pretty awful.

If we are floating theories mine would be a combination of the stated one and that she was going to get pregnant/need maternity leave. Also not a great (or legal!) reason to fire someone but it's "insanely pragmatic" and yeah Adam is generally that.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I don't know, those tweets do suggest that the firing was more "motivated" than just changing things up (which might also help explain why it was done abruptly/impersonally) but who knows because yeah Lynette seems like a dope. It may just have been a clumsy attempt at running interference for her husband.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, that's a bad sign. Listening to The Film Vault and Alison is going to be their guest next week. The topic is top-5 cute and cuddly animals and I'm sure her dead dog won't come up ;).

I actually never heard Alison talk about her dog but once but yeah the fact that it shattered her was palpable. When I said she "was sensitive and would get stuck on/ruminate on things that were personally relevant to her" I was thinking about her parents telling her she wasn't Jewish and what guys found/did not find attractive and poo poo like that but the dog definitely fits. I'm sure it's not MUCH of the story but if she brought it up a lot that would have definitely bothered Adam in the "we have an obligation to each other to not be a downer" sense.

The Lear one was really good. The Gene Simmons one, I don't know, that guy seemed barely human. I guess that in itself is kind of interesting but I feel like it was like listening to Adam talk to an unfunny and more extreme version of himself.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Basically it was "not a good sidekick/wanted to distance herself from carolla". Didn't have bits for the show, didn't want carolla logo on her show art, didn't want to chip in for patent trolls, didn't invite Adam to anything, took favors but didn't do any, was cool to him in general, asked guests who wouldn't be on show if it was because of Adam, wouldn't express interest in things she wasn't interested in. The book cover thing was a reach but my summary would be: legit small reasons and maybe a little revivifying of Adan's mom issues. She didn't want to be there, everyone wins.

Edit: whoa super beaten

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 12, 2015

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Moniker posted:

I didn't think it was that bad surprisingly!
Yeah I was ready to turn it off (and only listened at all because you gave the heads up) but it was fine.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

JGdmn posted:

Gina came right back after the Alison talk.

She didn't talk much but presenting the news. She's gotta be pretty confused as to how she should act around Adam after he basically lined out exactly how to kiss his rear end and never get fired.
Yeah, gotta be weird. Of course, she has already lost the gig once and has been told others are going to get a try so likely she's also thinking "gently caress it, what happens happens".

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
PRETTY SURE you are misrepresenting goon opinion hope that helps! If you really want to get into it a month later then call out the specific posters and their theories and their supporters, yeah there were a few eye-rollers but the only one that got much backing was that people thought that maybe Alison asked for more money which is hardly magic bullet stuff.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Short memory? It's only 3-4 pages back.
Yep, there are the eye rollers and a few pretty tame nothing posts, nice work!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I tuned in for Rainn Wilson and it was good, I agree.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Gotta say, maybe not representative based on what other posters have said but on yesterday and today's episode Bald Bryan has been loving solid with the quips.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Haha yeah the government doing something good is usually going to be in his blind spot. What did he say "net neutrality" was? Did he use the "obamacare for the internet" thing?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah it comes out today.
http://www.roadhardmovie.com/
Hoping for another The Hammer.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Jean Eric Burn posted:

It was pretty close to The Hammer. Very by-the-book 90s romantic comedy style.

It's a good achievement of filmmaking though. Impressive direction from Adam. I think it will review well. It's charming and aside from some boobs it's pretty inoffensive. I'd hardly say ACS fans are even the target audience.

At worst I would describe it as maybe too tame. They should have had a little more of the female lead and less Adam. He had trouble carrying scenes by himself.

Rented it for $4 on Google play.
Nice, and yeah I was going to say that Adam as lead was "the problem" with The Hammer. He's just bad on film even before the acting factor kicks in.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Look, if it doesn't bother you I don't want to convince you to be bothered by it. But he's awkward and mugs and seems sort of apart from the proceedings. It's not a dealbreaker (he reminds me of Seinfeld and obv. that deal was not broken) but it's pretty clearly not his thing.

To give him credit that quick sideways concerned look he gave the referee like "are you going to stop this fight?" in The Hammer was really good. And to take away credit: pretty much every other "look" he did :)

edit: watched the movie last night, I think The Hammer was a little better mostly because it was better constructed (this one is a little all over the road) but this had some really funny scenes and I still recommend it. It kind of reminded me (but was def. better than) I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 7, 2015

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Listened to hear Trevor Moore today, great episode. The Gina Grad news song is bad.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I'm not interested in shot-calling celebrity's personal lives either way but if Adam snapped after his folks died I would guess that he was 1 millimeter from snapping before they died. His dad already had a pretty big health scare. So no idea what his personal life is going to be like, but as I feared professionally I think he's pretty much thrown his chips in the conservative commentator pile.

nobody cares but me but 3 years ago my thought was: "there is a pretty built-in audience of hardcore bubble conservatives, so even though I think Adam can give sort of diametrically opposed jags depending on the context and on the details [of the particular case] and on his mood you can end up sliding down into the resentment business and getting an audience around that--it's easier money"

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I mean if I can just pick someone then Jason Bateman or Rainn Wilson or somebody like that.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Pretty sure if those tidbits were remotely interesting she would have shared them months ago with the other pretty-uninteresting ones but whatever.

Yeah I think 50% for the movie is fair. I was thinking it deserved to be in the same ballpark as This is Where I Leave You. Very different comedy in many ways but similar in that it has its moments but doesn't really hang together/set up the things it's trying to pay off. That's in the 40% range even though it features critic-friendly themes and biggish stars. (And I think that's worth watching, too.) Glad Atchity held his ground, but he pretty much has to. "You're right Adam the raw material my site is built on is garbage!" Adam should have stayed away from that conversation. I don't like Rotten tomatoes that much because I don't like averaging "like" 1s with "dislike" 0s but it ends up telling the same story that IMDB and Metacritic etc. do most of the time.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Big difference between those two things. I mean, "not a good fit" IS what he said. People who liked Alison were upset in part because they liked Alison, so "the person you like is actually uninteresting and unfunny" would not have flown at all.

He shouldn't have fired her with an email over the holidays and he should have given her more warning / some opportunity to transition publicly by coming up with a true-ish gloss they would both stick to. Maybe he thought that conversation wouldn't go well / such a gloss wasn't on the table, which is possible, but then you plug her show and talk her up much more than he did in the "Alison is no longer here" show. It probably wasn't going to go over smoothly no matter what, though, and, ironically, being unceremonious gave Alison the biggest tailwind possible.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 23, 2015