Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Bryan "Bald" Bishop (aka Bald Bryan)

We all bitch and complain about Adam and the show(s), but it really is great news about Bryan's recovery. And the stories about Adam being emotional about Bryan's condition are pretty heart-warming, too. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

dayman posted:

As a Bruins fan, it was amazing to hear Dameshek lament about his Penguins after hearing they lost the game last night. They should just make him a permanent cast member.

Am I the only one who hates Dameshek? His whiny voice and constant pandering to Adam make him god drat insufferable. I usually skip the episodes that feature him now (in addition to DAG).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

NewtGoongrich posted:

What does most of the staff do anyway? Why does Adam need 7-8 people to run a podcast?

This, I kind of get. It's a business, and having a staff, studio, and so forth and so on is what Adam wants to have to be the top podcast. It's how you attract sponsors, big guests, etc.

Keep in mind, Adam basically runs a network, and he has staff tackle several shows - Larry Miller, Allison's show, Ace on the House, the car cast, Adam and Drew, etc. As best I can tell, the staff split up the duties of the various shows, and all of them work together to run the main attraction. There is absolutely plenty for all those staff to do - Adam's show runs daily, and he rarely takes a vacation, and he travels a fair bit, too. So the staff has to be mobile, too. There's also someone doing marketing, calling sponsors, potential guests, and all kinds of poo poo.

The better question is why Adam built a big warehouse studio, and has a multiple-person staff, and despite all his opinions on work bathrooms - has just ONE bathroom in the building.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Boinks posted:

I just listened to that episode and loved it. Both guys are so drat sharp and I thought the skits were consistently funny, I mean look what Jo did with the Deacon Jones clip. I thought we'd just hear the clip again and Adam ranting about it for 20 minutes like we've all heard before but Jo turned it into comedy gold.

Holy hell, you all were right. Jo and Adam mesh so well together.

Or maybe them spending 20 minutes ripping on Mike for being insanely cheap/hungry is just that funny.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Helical Nightmares posted:

Really glad you guys recommended this one. I didn't know who Jo Koy was but goddamn that dude has improv chops. I'm checking out his standup now.

I almost wonder if a live show with Adam Carolla could be considered a trial by fire for a comedian. If they can hold their own with Carolla overtalking them and running rants into the ground by grabbing his attention and constantly delivering on the funny then they deserve a medal or something.

Like an 'I survived a Carolla Live Podcast' t-shirt maybe.

What does that say about Frank Caliendo? He said almost nothing. Even when prompted by Adam, he was pretty brief.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Hah Drew finally did a show with her? He'd been threatening Adam with that for a while. I'll make sure to check it out.

I haven't listened to the Dr. Drew or Adam and Drew shows much lately. On one of the latest Adam and Drew shows they have Adam's kids on at the beginning, that was pretty cute.

In case you might be like me, and looked under Adam and Drew's show: This podcast is under Drew's individual show, not the Adam/Drew show.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Lynette is, to be kind, an absolute disaster in front of a microphone. She has an annoying voice, she constantly coughs and clears her throat, and says 'right' after EVERY sentence the other person says.

I know why she got her own podcast, but... who is listening to it?

Red fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 21, 2013

Red
Apr 15, 2003

NewtGoongrich posted:

I assume there's a certain subset of people who like that she's so unpolished. People can relate to her, minus the being very wealthy part. Also, I doubt Adam would have any problem axing her show if it was unprofitable.

Just from hearing her on Dr. Drew, it's clear she loves having her own show, and likes the idea of being the center of attention.

If Adam canceled her show, he'd be sleeping in a separate bedroom.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Hi my name is Adam Carolla and every time I get a comedian that had a funny bit, I bring them on and make them do that bit over and over and over, running it into the ground and then proceeding to dig a hole with my ignorant views on race and the economy so that I can then toss that comedian's bit that I've beat to death into said hole, and then fill it in with live reads.

GET IT ON

It's random as hell, and depends on the guest.

- Christoph Waltz: He comes in, is quiet and reserved, but Adam loved his movie, so they talk a lot about casting and Tarantino.
- Michael Jai White: Adam lets him just own the hour-plus.
- David Alan Grier: Mostly just shouts and screams the same 4 things over and over.
- Fred Dryer: Mostly talked about football, but he really sounded like he had some early signs of dementia. How did they not spend 30 minutes talking about Deacon Jones' head slap? Or maybe they did, and I blocked it out. That ceased being funny the 87th time I heard it.
- Frank Caliendo: Did Morgan Freeman, was okay at that, Adam didn't seem impressed, and they barely talked to him again.
- Elliott Gould: Apparently was not in the mood for a podcast.

I'd love for Kimmel to show up, but I feel like he hasn't popped up since Adam's early days.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

After listening to the Jim Norton and Chris Hardwick episodes, I don't remember seeing if they were repeats or not - but they most certainly felt like it.

Does the show recycle itself that much? :(

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Strangely enough, if his book is cancer-centric enough, it might be one of those oddball situations where coping groups/physicians/etc. recommend the book to cancer patients. Some books on cancer and other diseases end up being a hallmark gift/resource for various treatment facilities, charities, and so on - and that can be good money for Bryan.

Does anybody really care what Heather Mills McCartney has to say, about anything? I wouldn't think so, but her book is everywhere, and is offered in stacks in non-profits.

I should know, I have her book on my desk as space filler, and I've never opened it. My company has stacks of the things.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Why was Adam poor growing up? I thought his dad was/is a psychologist or psychiatrist or something. Didn't he give Ray therapy for like 15-20 years?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

JGdmn posted:

Adam's dad was a substitute teacher and later a therapist. On the radio show his dad said his best year income wise was in the mid 40k's. And I think that was when Adam was already out of the house.

His mom was an "academic" that was on welfare and lived on her mother's dime.

Yikes.

It does make a little more sense, though, to hear Adam explain how his parents were aggressively cheap. As in, his dad would rather drive 20 miles to look for gas that was 10 cents cheaper than use the gas station near their house.

And anybody who's the primary income earner for a family who stays a sub teacher for more than 6 months is doing it really, really wrong.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

So is he divorced or separated?

I've only listened sporadically lately, and he seems to mention the family much less.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

e: Also check out Diamond Dallas Page from September 19: http://adamcarolla.com/diamond-dallas-page/

Worth it for the DUDE OFF

Red
Apr 15, 2003

visuvius posted:

Well that was a drastic turn from a fantastic podcast to loving horrible. I go from laughing my rear end off at DFG to hearing about how all people in the Middle East are basically evil animals that are bent on killing every last Jew, a people that have done nothing but good for the planet and are not troublemakers in any way shape or form. Oh and he is not Jewish and has no Jewish bias at all, just a dude callin it like it is.

Yes Adam, you never say anything racist aside from the part about a fifth of the world's population being evil and most non-white, non-asian cultures being inferior.

Isn't Adam pro-Korean/Japanese (i.e., tough people who will defend their stores in riots with rifles and shotguns on the roof)?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

visuvius posted:

Oh yes they are definitely in the "non-troublemaker" category. Mostly because they focus on education and contribute positively to the tax base. I wonder how much he knows about the massive amounts of tax fraud that goes on with those liquor stores.

But not a fan of Fillipinos. "Manny Pacquiao. That's all they've got. These people pray to chicken bones."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

end up watchin a lot of movies in chemo

I just remembered when Bryan was still recovering. He was a lot more likeable when he couldn't talk right.

What's the story Adam rarely tells, where he calls a doctor's office to get a hold of Bryan, and starts crying over the phone or something?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

"Catch a Contractor" is pretty good, I caught the first two episodes that aired tonight. It feels kinda squished in with the editing, due to being a 30 minute show with commercial breaks, and they've focused a lot more heavily on the "catching" part so far over the actual building, but I'll definitely keep watching this.

You know, it really would benefit from being an hour.

If they're going to show 2 back-to-back single episodes, why not do the full hour so it doesn't feel so rushed and over-edited?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Riptor posted:

because if they were to ever syndicate it it's much easier to syndicate half hour shows rather than hourlongs

Tons of good shows are an hour and are driven into the ground through syndication.

The show has a better chance of being distributed if it's good. The show(s) I watched last night felt edited as gently caress.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

How ironic. Today's ACS has Adam trashing people for making their own movies and them being "big piles of poo poo."

This from a guy who has almost totally segregated himself from Hollywood and can't get a movie made without having it be a kickstarter.

To be fair, him ripping on Jenny McCarthy and Matthew McConaughey (or however you spell it) for their films is spot on.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Apoplexy posted:

You know what I find amazing after listening to Adam Carolla Podcast (or anything from the *CAROLLA DIGITAL NETWORK!*) is just how loving much Adam advertises. I mean, in the Natasha Leggero and Moshe Kasher guest-hosting episode I just reached the second sponsor interruption. One at the beginning, 3 minutes there, then another pair at the mid-way point for 3:30 there. Compare this to Nerdist. One at the very beginning, in the pre-show segment. That's it. You Made It Weird I can't remember any for. The Bugle? None at all. Although I GUESS Adam's been open about how much this is about money for him, it still seems excessive since the alternatives are just awesome in comparison.

Usually, I'd agree with this sort of thing, but Adam is actually pretty reasonable in this regard. He weaves a few jokes into the ads, so that they don't actually sound like ads, and tries to keep them pretty brief.

I gave up on the Steve Austin show because his ads are loving obnoxious. He reads them out loud, and they go forever. And he repeats the same ad like 5 times in an hour show.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

What Fun posted:

I donated - Adam has been clear from the beginning that he is going to fight this case on the behalf of the entire podcasting community. He's already put in roughly twice the amount that people have donated, with more to surely come. Taking this shady company's word that they're going to stop suing everyone with a postal address would be silly. They need to go to court, and be defeated. It's not Supreme Court-style precedent, but it's a good thing to have on the books and that's always been the goal.

Seeing these guys backpedal actually makes me want to donate, and help bury them.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

What is the Rowdy Roddy Piper story?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

vote_no posted:

The latest Ace on the House was a cut above, in case anyone's selectively listening to those.

Adam and Ray really seemed to be having fun being around each other, and there were some great stories.

I keep waiting for John Ratzenberger to come back. He gelled really well with Ray and Adam, and actually knows a lot about handy man stuff.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Veskit posted:

Holy poo poo there's episodes with John Ratzenberg I may have to check those out.

Just the one, AFAIK, from a year ago. It's #48 on the current iTunes listing.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

On the plus side, we'll never have to hear the stupid Facts of Life knock-off theme again.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CatfishClyde posted:

Strasser challenged Adam all the time politically, didn't she? I don't see that as the reason Allison would get dumped. My guess is he got loaded and made a move on her on New Years Eve or something.

Gina Grad will get this job because not only is she "side-kick material" but she also has very large breasts. Bald is dragging this show slowly but surely into the shitter. Why Adam has sided with him over now two news girls, I'll never understand.

A big reason why Bald is still around is because of the longevity/loyalty for all these years, and probably partly because Adam would probably feel awful for firing a cancer patient.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

benito posted:

Random speculation... I'm going with the money hypothesis. Her show was #2 on the ACE network, she probably wanted a bigger paycheck. Alison has been a freelance writer for a long time, and from my own experience over the past few years freelancing on the side (I do have a day job), there are some publications or gigs that pay less than the time and frustration involved. You can do it for a while to get experience and get your name out there, but eventually, it's just not worth it and you've got to move on (contrary to Adam's maxim that you should work for free until finding success). Seeing as how Adam has severed ties with other lifelong friends when they asked to be compensated for their contributions to his empire... I doubt she's going to sue him, though, there was probably more dignity in leaving.

There was some hint at this when The Film Vault left the ACE network, and Anderson and Bryan basically came out and said that when their lawyer looked over the new paperwork, "It was the most one-sided contract he'd ever seen" in terms of revenue sharing and content rights.

Alison is smart, sober, and quick witted, which meant that she'd occasionally drop a little joke in a regular show or a live show that would get a laugh before Adam figured it out. Either it was slightly complicated wordplay or a more educated reference, but I'm guessing that really ground on Adam over the years. Add to that her habit of actually asking relevant and probing questions during interviews, like knowing that Eliot Gould's ex-wife was Barbara Streisand. Best of luck to her, and I hope ARIYNBF finds a home on Nerdist or Maximum Fun or elsewhere.

This is a good post that might be close to the truth.

Alison shows up to work every day, had/has a successful show on his network, and adds to his show. Combined with the fact that her departure was at the end of 2014/beginning of 2015, it just seems like it'd be the money/contract thing.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

beanieson posted:

Pretty obvious she got canned for never stepping up to the bottom drawer freezer.

That was legit one of the funniest things the three of them did together.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Tweak posted:

yea thank god adam never talks about his dog

He doesn't.

He just talks about the fifty grand he's spent keeping the dog alive.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Dear Prudence posted:

I think Adam was making a case that it was not one specific thing. It was a lot of little things that added up to a clear sign she had to go. Full disclosure - I'm a big fan of Alison's. But after hearing what Adam said, I understand his reasons. HOWEVER, as Bryan repeatedly asked Adam and he confirmed - Adam never talked to Alison about the things that were bothering him. And I think that had he, it would have made a huge difference. I listen to Alison's podcast every time it's out, twice a week. Alison is and can be very funny and effervescent. She's very on the ball and quick with a joke and she does command her shows. Her ability to be present is not lacking. But having listened to her show, I've also heard her talk about Adam and her relationship with Adam and the whole network and other people there. A lot of these discussions can be heard around 2013/2014 right before she launched her Thursday show and a couple episodes of her Thursday show. She always seemed like she was intimidated by Adam. I think she felt that in her eyes he was an emotional unknown and she was always worried about him getting mad at her. She never wanted to do the wrong thing with him and I think that led her to being a lame duck as his sidekick. If you're too worried about saying the wrong thing, you're not going to want to say much of anything. A lot of Adam's points were just trying to get her to talk - to be more involved with the conversations. I think Alison (and a lot of his listeners) felt that Adam wanted control of the show and for her and Bryan to be a background voice. I think if they'd been able to have an open discussion about what exactly Adam wanted, she would have stepped up. But then again, he's right - if she's deferring to him to the point where not a lot of content is coming from her, it was the best decision to let her go. Alison has stated so many times that she gets uptight and shuts down when there is conflict (she's talked at length about it on her own show). It's how she is. Adam being a very mercurial person, I honestly understand how it didn't fit and work out.

Anyhow, that's my two cents.

This is a good post I agree with.

It's also interesting how much Adam considers some other people an extension of himself.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CatfishClyde posted:

Listen, all I'm saying is it's pretty clear Adam had a threesome with Allison and Lynette despite Dr. Drew's repeated warnings over the years, then when Lynette inevitably got jealous she demanded Adam fire Allison and threatened to go public with his crippling alcoholism and child beating practices, also his long and torrid romance with Jimmy Kimmel. Allison was paid under the table to keep her mouth shut with all of Carolla's many, many ill-begotten millions of dollars. The clues are all there, buried in Bald Bryan's Top Drops.

And this is without getting into Adam's ties to the Russian mob or his beliefs in a new world order.

You could spend all day talking about the complicated chain of events that led to Allison's firing.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Boinks posted:

Dameshek hasn't been on in awhile either.

Good, Dameshek is loving obnoxious and irritating.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

The odd thing about the Anthony Cumia episode is that Adam often lumps Alison and Bryan together, whether it was asking them to prepare for a show, or if it was Adam dreading talking about racing/cars. Bryan gets a pass because he does sounds, Adam also mentions, but it's still awkward, and since Alison's left, it sounds like Bryan tries really hard to add a lot more commentary.

Then having each peon chime in to say how Adam is right is really uncomfortable.

Adam has a lot of un-entertaining guests (why do I, as someone in DC, care about a local politician? why is he having an author on that I've never heard of? why is Jo Koy, who I do like, on AGAIN?), has repeated a lot of stories, and is only getting worse about his personal views that he works into every show. I'm finding myself listening less and less.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Tweak posted:

As Alison also mentioned, it's apparently an open secret there that a lot of people don't want to go on Carolla's show because of his politics/opinions (or possibly because you just sit there and watch him talk, as Doug Benson points out often), so his pool of potential guests is constantly leaking which means THE PEOPLE DEMAND BUNG LU SU.

Sarah Silverman's said the same thing. :smith:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

JB50 posted:

So are we stuck with Gina Grad as the news lady. Today she was announced as the NEW news lady.

It will be a disappointment after all the good improvers he had on, but I suppose shes Adams buddy from way back.

Bring back Hesley!!!!

I haven't listened to new episodes in a few weeks, but the few times she chimes in (which is rare), she sounds flustered.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Niwrad posted:

But I feel like it could have turned into a nice independent hit (like Young Adult) if he had cast someone else in the lead role.

Patton Oswalt, maybe?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

visuvius posted:

I'm a pretty big Carolla fan and I will continue to listen to him but yeah he has gotten worse over the last year or so. The amount of inane poo poo he seriously complains about is out of control.

All of that is fine and I don't really give a poo poo as long as the occasional chuckles keep coming in but what got my attention and what I thought was super weird was his recent Uber bits. So he is advertising for Uber which is fine but what kills me is he threw his assistant Matt into the mix so that Matt can discuss how he supplements his income by driving for Uber. This is a guy who is essentially Carolla's right hand, who has worked as a producer or whatever the gently caress he is on the show for years, and who apparently doesn't make enough so he needs to supplement his income with Uber. They are either making up the Matt bit just for the advertisement, or he really is driving for Uber because he doesn't make enough money. Both of these possibilities, especially the second really turn me off.

I haven't listened regularly in at least a year, and I don't miss it. It was one thing hearing stories and stuff repeated over time, but his politics and whining just got to me.

If Matt really has to drive for Uber to make ends meet, then gently caress this show forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

JB50 posted:

Adam finally put the dog out of its misery.

RIP in peace Molly girl.

Adam was right: Once you hit $10k and the dog starts losing ears and other appendages, and requires a routine of shots and pills just to live, it's time to move on.