Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
Really? I find Adam much more annoying than Jo. He even talks over his partners in improvisations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
That's what I came back to add actually. Part of the problem is he never puts a riff to bed before it's more than run its course. There's a point where it becomes repetitive and unfunny, and that's usually around 5 minutes.. not te twenty that they usually run.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
Everyone is a little right about why he has DAG and Jo do the same poo poo every appearance. How, I think the biggest reason is simply because Adam finds jt funny, and he's filling time. Every single skit they do is funny, but they let it run about 3 or 4 minutes too long most of the time. Today's Floaters skit is a prime example of that.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
Does anyone think Adam has a chance in hell of getting Tom Cruise for his doc?

Personally, I don't think he has a prayer. Also smart on his part to mention it, the crack a bunch of jokes about him, deride his religion, and then go off on a rant. If he had a chance, cruise's publicists hearing any of that would've finished it off.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
It probably isn't as impressive as his old house. Considering it had an underwater view of his pool from the bar, that insane elevator garage, and the rest of the entirely refinished home that he's been laboring over for the past 10(?) years.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

Niwrad posted:

I've gone from looking forward to Jo Koy episodes to skipping them. It'd be one thing if he was on once every 6 months. But the guy is on and doing this every week.

One thing I miss is Adam ripping on callers for being idiots. Just listened to the State of the Union show and the first caller was like taking out his garbage or something and you could barely hear him. On Loveline he'd shred those people and it would be hilarious. For some reason he just goes with it and it makes for terrible radio for the awkward couple minutes that the person tries to talk or be understood. At least get a loving call screener in there.

How has Adam and Drew show been? I'm far behind on episodes (like 10 behind) but hoping there are some good ones mixed in.

It's a lopsided mess where Adam talks non-stop for an hour with Drew encouraging him. Horrible. Absolutely horrible.

I was somewhat pleased with the State of the Union podcast, but don't listen to the main show much at all. The next one was the latest Drew and Adam show. Holy gently caress..

Commence Adam talking for an hour about how because he pays higher taxes, makes a lot of money, and is a "good guy," he should be treated differently. For instance.. A story I never heard is him switching car insurance providers. Because his current one wouldn't drive to his loving house to get the Vin and take a picture. "I give you a lot of money in premiums, and I don't file claims. You won't so this for me? I'll find someone else."

This is tha stuff that makes him come across like a royal piece of poo poo, and makes me quit listening again for a few months.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
That was great.

Is it just me or was the episode FULL of ads? Felt like they were doing one after another every 5 minutes.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
That was really great. It was so nice to see actual improvisation occurring without Adam saying "so here's the scene," and then constantly directing the flow. Jo and Jay are great at it by themselves and it showed.

Best thing on the show in awhile.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
How ironic. Today's ACS has Adam trashing people for making their own movies and them being "big piles of poo poo."

This from a guy who has almost totally segregated himself from Hollywood and can't get a movie made without having it be a kickstarter.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
Adam Sandler is a bad example because he has his own studio and enough money to do what he wants. That being said, Hollywood also banks on success--whether new or old. He has some great movies in the past, so he has clout today.

He doesn't talk about it often, but when Adam talks about his general demeanor towards studios, or how the treat him, or want him to do multiple takes or what-not, I feel like he's probably totally exiled himself from Hollywood, leaving him to have to do his own thing, which also makes him mad I'm sure. I'm honestly surprised he has the contractor show seeing as how he complains like crazy about that, too.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
Adam was on the Chris Jericho podcast today and was talking about his start into podcasting. The story has changed quite a bit from what I remember.. and I've been listening from day one.

He days he was basically podcasting since he left Loveline with people listening online, and that he told everyone he was starting a podcast on his radio show before it went off.

Obviously he's going to minimize Donny's involvement.. but I'd thought it was Donny's idea, Adam was in the dark about internet broadcasts, and it was Donny who explained it and got him going. Jesus, it took forever before he understood the concept of it being free instead of a subscription.

Does any radio listeners recall this announcement? If not, this is the first time I recall him describing his podcast beginnings like this.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
From a legal standpoint, he's not going to say Donny came up with the idea or was guiding it when he's in a lawsuit where he argues that Donny did nothing.

Thanks for the refresher. It's been awhile and I never listened to his morning show. Just kept listening to old Loveline until he started doing the podcast and acted disinterested and clueless until he got the proper guidance.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
Dag-a-roni, baby! WHOOO!

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
We'll see how much he's enjoying it when he has to attend a mandatory mediation in Texas. Sure they want to let it go, but it's still going to take more of his time and money for both he and whomever his legal team is to fly, attend, get hotels, meals, etc.

I'm torn on his opinion to continue. If he was doing this entirely on his own dime, then that's one thing. Choosing to press it when other people are helping foot the bill feels different to me. Glad I didn't contribute.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
Winning his case certainly helps put a damper on patent trolls, but it's not going to somehow stop them forever. That would take it escalating to Washington and the Supreme Court, which may happen either way.

As far as sticking it to them and not letting them out of the suit, that could be interesting to see at trial. This is a new thing and there's not a huge amount of precedent for these types of cases, so it's not necessarily a "slam dunk," for Adam. That, the new-ness of these cases, plus any trial taking place in East Texas/their home turf doesn't exactly spell total victory.

But, there's a lot we don't know and i haven't seen much of the court filings so it's hard to say.

For anyone that donated--more power to you. I'm not saying what he's doing is right or wrong, just my own feelings and opinions.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
Looks like Adam wrapped up the patent troll case just in time to work on the Weez:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/02/showbiz/adam-carolla-podcast-lawsuit/index.html?c=showbiz&page=0

Would imagine that this coming up so fast, it would make him want to wrap up the PT case like he did. This one doesn't sound as bad, but it's still probably gotta be draining just because of it being his ex friend.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
I work in corporate litigation, actually.

IMO, Adam should come out fine. That is if there isn't a written contract of some kind. It sounds like Donny's whole case is him inferring "we are going to be rich, etc." as him being an equal partner which, if he wasn't put on the business name, written into anything related to a contract or otherwise, means he's entitled to nothing. That honestly sounds like his whole case.

That being said, I remember the first podcast and Adam saying this was all Donny's idea. That, coupled with him being the "big bad guy" who dumped his friend and is now a podcast king, may cause the jury to find favoritism with Donny. And when it comes to jurors, they're always a gamble.. particularly in California.

Just my initial thoughts based off what little there is to go off of.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

Skip My Posts posted:

Lmao doing IT work for a corporate lawyer doesn't mean you work in corporate litigation.

What are you going on about? I never said I worked in IT, or that I worked for a lawyer.

Thanks for contributing.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
Touché.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

Niwrad posted:

I don't know if Adam's just in a better place with life right now but the show has been much better of late. Last year it felt like the show became a chore to him and he was going through the motions. Now he seems to have some energy and isn't as big a curmudgeon.

Agreed. Had the same feeling the other day. He's not coming across near as cranky, angry or on the edge of exploding. Which, from the podcasts Drew did with Ray and Lynette, sounds like he was on the verge of stroking out at any moment.

Surprising considering the litigation he's going into back to back.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

UltraRed posted:

I agree for a different reason. On one hand, it's total bullshit to be sued for doing nothing wrong under any legal definition, and having to pay millions of dollars to defend yourself! On the other hand, you never shut up about driving multiple luxury cars, any 5 of which you could do without.

Which is the biggest reason I refused to donate. He is NOT a poor man. But he wanted his fans to donate to pay for it. And he what's funny is no one bothered to change over the amazon affiliate to help pay for it, I doubt be dumped any of his advertising revenue into it. He really just wanted his fans to pony up so that he could "beat the troll down." And when he ran out of fan money, what did he do? He settled. I refuse to believe that he didn't have some money in the coffers to defend this on his own dime. He's got multiple properties, a car collection, he just bought a new home, and he goes auto racing all the time. He may not be Leno, but he had cash to spare.

For someone who wanted to win and teach them a lesson, he failed miserably. If he really wanted to set a precedent, take it all the way to a jury trial, and possibly the Supreme Court. There is no precedent for this type of lawsuit--it's a new deal. So beat them down, win the suit, and give every other company whose fighting these battles currently some ammunition for their own defense. If he won, it would have gone a long way in stopping this from continuing to gain momentum.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

What Fun posted:

They're mad that the man with the family and 10 full time employees didn't sell all his possessions and mortgage his house to continue distributing his free podcast.

Incorrect. If Adam is living just like you and I, does not have emergency funds, and is managing to stay afloat, that's one thing. BUT, I don't get the impression that's his situation.

Additionally, the whole "free podcast" thing doesn't fly with me. It benefits him as much as anyone judging by the crowds that pay to see him, buy his books, buy his advertiser poo poo, amazon affiliates, etc. Its not like he does the show out of the kindness of his heart for the fans--it benefits him much more.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

JB50 posted:

Whos cares, she was depressing and couldnt riff with Adam. End of story.

Enjoy podcasting out of your dining room you idiot.

Why does it take her 30 minutes to explain what Adam explained in 5 minutes?

OMFG shes STILL crying about her dog?

Barely anyone can riff with Adam because he cuts everyone off and talks over most anyone he doesn't think can keep up with his "genius." It's why most of the "big" guests he had early on don't come back--he's pissed them off with this and they don't care to deal with him now.

How's she an idiot? Her podcast isn't great by itself, but she's a better interviewer than Adam ever will be, and can at least loving write compared to Adam who just rambles and let's people dig poo poo out.

And Adam explained it in 5 minutes? Really? Adam can barely give a single thought in 5 minutes and as I recall, spent nearly an hour burying her. She spent what--20 minutes on it? She was clear, concise and to the point about it.

And you could tell she was reading from notes to make sure she didn't miss her point. Something Adam could benefit from instead of burying himself worse with the situation.

Bottom line: Adam is a dick and regardless of who you believe, it's easier to picture Alison's version of the events over Adam's any day.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
My problem with his guests is you get next to nothing ABOUT the guest. They show up, he'll ask a question or two, then talk over them until it's time to go.

It's super obvious how poor a job he does if that guest is making the podcast rounds and appearing on say Maron the same time period where you go from good, interesting discussion with humor and information about the guest to "tell us where we can see you," and then a rehashing of the same tired Carolla story before he gives out their website and Twitter and then back to his own poo poo.

Basically, it's just a morning radio show at this point where it's all fluff with nothing of merit, but uncensored. And that's super disappointing because I know Adam can interview guests and it be interesting, but he chooses to do this poo poo thing where he only half cares and wants to hear his own voice.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

JB50 posted:

She aint going anywhere, Adam is where all her money comes from. All she does is raise their kids with the help of a nanny (real tough Im sure)and she doesnt have a job. WTF does she have to complain about. They would probably stay together just for the kids sake anyways.

She doesn't need to be married to Adam to keep his money. Child support and all mob would take care of her and she'd most likely get the house. She'd be just fine without him.

If he's really that bad, then gently caress him. Sounds like he's a real rear end in a top hat to live with--which isn't surprising really--and if she splits, it was probably deserved.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
It is the same Adam that I stopped listening to years ago, doing the same rants he did 20 years ago, ie “attack crows.”

He has moments that remind me why I liked him in the first place, but he’s not getting any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
I’m wearing a nice black garter, just thinking about the Holocaust.