Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

pkells posted:

I think we missed the perfect caption for your av:

that's a good one...but reality is so much more entertaining. I love it when I have an excuse to say "cocksucker" in court.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Madurai posted:

Wanted: a history of the Indo-Paki wars of 1965 and/or 1971.

Added stipulation: that aren't written by anyone from India or Pakistan.

The Blood Telegram is focused on the Bangladesh genocide and by extension the US (lack of a) response to it, but it touches pretty heavily on the 1971 war as well since those two events are pretty intertwined. Written by a professor at Princeton, it was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in non-fiction this year...it's really really good.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Can anyone recommend any books covering green berets in vietnam?

Or anything about the Montegards?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Waroduce posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Sympathy-Devil-Kent-Anderson/dp/0553580876

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Waroduce posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Commandos-Behind-Enemy-Warriors/dp/0451214471/ref=la_B000AP7XYG_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413691747&sr=1-3

Vatek fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 19, 2014

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Waroduce posted:

have a short documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz7xk_a6444

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

This is a great book, I think he wrote two books about SOG.

Nearly every SF book you'll read about Vietnam will talk about Montagnards, Nungs or some other indigenous peoples they train and fight with.

Robin Moore's The Green Berets is pretty good and iirc the first book about SF and written by a civilian that went through SF training and was spent time in Vietnam with SF troops. Doesn't have much in common with John Wayne's movie The Green Berets which is sort of based on the book. Don't read his newer book written about SF and the invasion of Afghanistan though, one of his sources ended up being grade A bullshitter Jack Idema who never made it in SF and was despised by everyone else, they just tried to keep him away from anything important until they could get rid of him.

Reflections of a Warrior is a memoir by Medal of Honor Recipient Franklin Miller. Really gets into the mindset of the kind of guy that would spend 7 and a half years in Vietnam, most of it with SOG.

There's another book about SOG from an SF officers perspective, iirc it's called 18 Months in SOG but I don't remember the authors name. I vaguely remember him talking about some of the weird and ultimately useless technology they sent to SF to test in the field.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
awesome suggestions thanks

but is this legit or are you loving with me? is this like Matterhorne for special forces or theres a joke going over my head

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Waroduce posted:

awesome suggestions thanks

but is this legit or are you loving with me? is this like Matterhorne for special forces or theres a joke going over my head

I haven't read it since '06. I just remembered it being good.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It looks good to me, I'm going to try to read it sometime. The content doesn't seem at all surprising to me considering the kind of situations SF soldiers found themselves in during Vietnam. Seems like a similar sentiment expressed by Franklin Miller in his book, he's also very upfront about the brutality and violence of his time in Vietnam and with a mindset I don't think many people expect when they read a book about Vietnam.

Here's Miller's book http://www.amazon.com/Reflections-W...ns+of+a+Warrior

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

pkells posted:

Just finished The Martian by Andy Weir.

Holy poo poo, read this book now. An astronaut get left for dead on Mars in the near future and has to survive until NASA can rescue him.

Apparently the audiobook was extremely well done. The book is written in audio-log entries, so it translates really well to a reading of it.

I just read this a couple weeks ago on a friend's recommendation. Pretty great read, keeps the science pretty accurate as far as my layman's mind can tell. Pretty nailbiting in parts.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Admiral Bosch posted:

I just read this a couple weeks ago on a friend's recommendation. Pretty great read, keeps the science pretty accurate as far as my layman's mind can tell. Pretty nailbiting in parts.

I liked when he was swearing on the chats with NASA. Trying to get a guy who got stranded on another planet to censor himself sounds like a very government sort of thing to do.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Flikken posted:

I liked when he was swearing on the chats with NASA. Trying to get a guy who got stranded on another planet to censor himself sounds like a very government sort of thing to do.

LOOK SOME BOOBIES ( . Y . )

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Bolow posted:

LOOK SOME BOOBIES ( . Y . )

AYYYYYYYYYY

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Bump for a very old thread but can anyone recommend anything on the Chechen conflict?

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Fangs of the Lone Wolf covers the tactics and strategies of the Chechens and Russians from 1994-2009.

One soldier's war is the account of Arkady Babchenko who was conscripted into the Russian army the First War and volunteered for the 2nd. If you want a personal account how miserable life was for Ivan, this is the one.

ANY book by Anna Politkovskaya about Chechnya. Her work was so good she was assassinated by the Russian government (Completely acting on their own, some FSB Agents just decided out of the blue to assassinate her in her apartment block's elevator, no really!). She rips into both sides of the conflict.

Barrakketh fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 8, 2015

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Ashley's War: The Untold Story of a Team of Women Soldiers on the Special Ops Battlefield https://www.amazon.com/dp/006233381X/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_8NsSub109GWY2

Anyone know anything about this author? I am pre-ordering this book since I knew Lt. White. I just am wondering what I am in for.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
the gently caress is a special ops battlefield?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

the gently caress is a special ops battlefield?

Sounds like a lovely map with too many sniper rifle drops

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Barrakketh posted:

Fangs of the Lone Wolf covers the tactics and strategies of the Chechens and Russians from 1994-2009.

One soldier's war is the account of Arkady Babchenko who was conscripted into the Russian army the First War and volunteered for the 2nd. If you want a personal account how miserable life was for Ivan, this is the one.

ANY book by Anna Politkovskaya about Chechnya. Her work was so good she was assassinated by the Russian government (Completely acting on their own, some FSB Agents just decided out of the blue to assassinate her in her apartment block's elevator, no really!). She rips into both sides of the conflict.

I just finished the Arkady Babachenko one. gently caress me, who'd be a conscript in that army, harrowing read even before he got to the actual fighting part.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I did one of those freebie Audible trials and listened to Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War on the way to and from work.

LINK

The book does a good job of capturing the futility of reason and just how loving stupid war is.

edit- just =/= job

Hekk fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 15, 2015

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Matterhorn was fantastic, I'd love to see it as a movie.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Elendil004 posted:

Matterhorn was fantastic, I'd love to see it as a movie.

Forget a movie, make it an HBO miniseries. They haven't done Vietnam yet anyway.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Tour of Duty wasn't good enough for you? :v:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Vatek posted:

Forget a movie, make it an HBO miniseries. They haven't done Vietnam yet anyway.

A Bright Shining Lie.

Edit: Though I guess that wasn't a miniseries.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I did one of those freebie Audible trials and listened to Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War on the way to and from work.

LINK

The book does a good job of capturing the futility of reason and just how loving stupid war is.

edit- just =/= job

Especially the ending

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

If you haven't read Matterhorn you are a bad person

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Matterhorne is amazing. If you liked it, Sympathy For The Devil is the same sort of book from a more personal perspective. It follows one kid in special forces. The author based it on his own experiences. It was recommended to me in this thread I think, and I was initially doubtful as to the quality bc the cover art looks like it was designed by a 13 year old, and the title was sort of eye-rolling imo, but its very very good.

E: further up on this page actually

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Waroduce posted:

Matterhorne is amazing. If you liked it, Sympathy For The Devil is the same sort of book from a more personal perspective. It follows one kid in special forces. The author based it on his own experiences. It was recommended to me in this thread I think, and I was initially doubtful as to the quality bc the cover art looks like it was designed by a 13 year old, and the title was sort of eye-rolling imo, but its very very good.

Told ya so.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

holocaust bloopers posted:

Amazon had the Kindle version of all 6 volumes for 2 bucks. Yea. Bought.

I am finding the $2 Kindle version very annoying to read. It seems like a straight, unedited scan of the print version, so footnote numbers read as "^5," "^10" etc. The footnotes themselves are inserted willy-nilly into the main text with no break at the end, so you can start reading a footnote then return to the main text without realizing it. Other footnote-heavy ebooks I've read have grouped all the footnotes at the end of each chapter with hyperlinks to and from the main text. I'm either gonna spring for the more expensive Kindle version or just get it in print.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah, that's the one I've got. It's also next to impossible to figure out which editor's comments you're reading.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Waroduce posted:

Sympathy For The Devil is amazing, and he has a follow on book called Night Dogs. I highly recommend you read that too.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
What are some good books regarding the Korean War? Also, I was interested in picking up The Clay Pigeons of St. Lo. Has anyone read that book?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
This Kind of War by T.R. Fehrenbach is the classic history. It suffers a bit at the end from the geopolitical point the author makes at the end, since it was written before Vietnam, but the bulk of the book is excellent history. It tends to focus on the tactical and operational, not delving into the strategic side of things too much.

The Coldest Winter by David Halberstam is also very good. It gets into the strategic side of things a bit more than Fehrenbach's work. They're both well worth reading.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Seconding Coldest Winter, amazing book. Highly recommended

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Thirding Coldest Winter, rarely have I disliked someone as much as Ned Almond!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
jesus christ the ending to matterhorn. gently caress.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ded posted:

Wouldn't it just make a great miniseries?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

ded posted:

Yup

Vietnam in a nutshell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Sad King Billy posted:

Thirding Coldest Winter, rarely have I disliked someone as much as Ned Almond!

A little late but fourthing Coldest Winter. An unbelievably fantastic military history.

Breakout: The Chosin Reservoir Campaign, Korea 1950 by Martin Russ is also excellent and more detailed than Coldest Winter, but more narrowly focused. The battles around Chosin were some of the most intense in the history of the US armed forces and Russ does a great job of describing small-unit actions and conditions. Really down into the weeds of "this platoon held this hill and this squad did this so this company did this" while still covering a Corps-level engagement. Coldest Winter is a better whole-war story but Breakout is a gripping and educational read.

• Locked thread