Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

noelcat posted:

Could you add rankings with the Costco (Kirkland) brand pet foods? I see it recommended a lot on PI but I wasn't sure how it stacked up.

I was looking for it on the list too. They have a grain free kibble too now called Nature's Domain that I am tempted to switch to while money is tight (it is something like 29 lbs for $35?). Is there a catch with it or is it okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Dog Food Advisor link. It (and I think the other Kirkland brands) are listed at 4 stars out of five. There's a long writeup with the ingredients list and estimated nutrient content. Kirkland's dog food was manufactured by Diamond at least last year and were a part of the massive recall from then. I'm still somewhat concerned about that. My dog is pathetically tiny and huge bags of kibble are impractical for me and really he's cheap enough to feed that I don't care how much a bag of kibble costs. If I suddenly inherited 4 great danes or something I might look at it.

I should have put more info in my original post. I have read that dog food advisor page like 4 times because I keep reconsidering it every month or so. Dex used to be on TOTW and did fine on it. I switched to Wellness Core when the recall stuff was going on and he loves it. Problem is that I am graduating college and starting Real Life and going from $60 a bag to $35 would help a ton. It is a stupid balance of wanting to feed my dog the best food I can and wanting to make sure I can have money put aside for a vet bill if one comes. And then the guilt of putting my dog on a "4 star food" :cry: I read millions all the comments on the dog food advisor page on Nature's Domain and I don't know. There are lots of good reviews and some bad, but I dont know how trustworthy half those people are. Anyone here try ND and like it? Help me feel less guilty.

cryingscarf fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 16, 2013

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

AvianPundit posted:

What Ol' Roy doesn't even make the list? It's that bad?

I only asked because an acquaintance's dachshund has been upchucking it lately. It's like... Walmart's dog food brand.

It is that bad. Being able to get 50 lbs of it for $20 is a big enough red flag, but if you check out the ingredients list, it is all garbage.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

She doesn't get fed human food anymore. She eats Stella and Chewys. My question was about another healthy but less expensive dog food we could supplement S&C with to save money.

IIRC Stella and Chewys is a raw diet, right? I know some people recommend against feeding raw at the same time as kibble. Something about different rates of digestion likely causing tummy issues with the dog.