Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!

Daeren posted:

So after seeing this thread, I looked at the food we feed our three cats. Apparently we recently switched from some other food - I think Iams? - Purina ONE Indoor Advantage.

Purina:
Turkey, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal, soy flour, whole grain corn, fish meal, dried yeast, powdered cellulose, soy protein isolate, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), soybean hulls, animal liver flavor, phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate, caramel color, salt, potassium chloride, dried spinach, choline chloride, taurine, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite. J-4188

Going with 1st 10 ingreds you've got turkey, poultry by products, and fish meal. The rest is rice, corn gluten, soy flour, corn, yeast, cellulose, soy protein. Despite turkey being the 1st ingred, I'm betting theres a whole lot more grain in there than actual meat content. Soybean hulls too. People question menadione as an ingredient which is just a cheaper(artificial? CMIIW) vitamin k.

Solid Gold:
Chicken Meal, Potatoes, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols) , Chicken, Pea Protein, Natural Flavor, Ocean Fish Meal, Choline Chloride, Salmon Oil (source of DHA), Taurine, Potassium Chloride, dl-methionine, Dried Chicory Root, Parsley Flakes, Pumpkin Meal, Almond Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Sesame Oil (preserved by mixed tocopherols), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Thyme, Blueberries, Cranberries, Carrots, Broccoli, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Calcium Panthothenate, Riboflavin, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Rosemary Extract

Here youve got chicken meal, chicken, fish meal with the carb source being potato, peas and then some vegetable/salmon oil. Plus some fruits and veggies.

I ran the stats through a calculator (because adding lol) and I'm not sure if I did it right, someone else might want to check. the purina lists this instead of an ash percentage...am I supposed to add that together?
Linoleic Acid (min) 1.4%, Calcium (min) 1.0%, Phosphorus (min) 0.9%, Zinc (min) 100mg/kg, Selenium (min) 0.35mg/kg, Vitamin A (min) 11,000 IU/kg, Vitamin D (min) 800 IU/kg, Vitamin E (min) 250 IU/kg, Taurine (min) 0.15%, Omega-6 Fatty Acids* (min) 1.5%

Anyways, without that we are looking at 38% carbs in purina vs 13.5% carbs in solid gold, a big difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
I was gunna post in the Herp thread but since Mazuri makes diets for pretty much everything, figured I can ask here. Petco is starting to carry turtle/tortoise/iguana food from them. What do you guys think of Mazuri? Its a big brand name..mostly for zoo diets, and touted as 'best thing ever'. Im sure they are in giving what specific species needs but looking at the ingredients, they all look like crap to me after learning about dog/cat food :( reminds me of science diet. I dont think I'd recommend most of their diets over other companies available.

A few ingredient lists from some random pet animals, I tried to cut off once the supplements started:

Ferret
Poultry by-product meal, ground brown rice, dehulled soybean meal, porcine animal fat preserved with BHA, poultry digest, poultry fat preserved with ethoxyquin, dried beet pulp

Exotic canine diet (28% protein)
Ground corn, poultry by-product meal, ground brown rice, corn gluten meal, porcine animal fat preserved with BHA, stabilized poultry fat, porcine meat meal, brewers dried yeast, poultry liver digest (a palatant), dried beet pulp, ground soybean hulls, spray dried red blood cells, dried whey, dried egg product

Exotic cat (36% protein, about 28%~ carbs it looks like)
Poultry by-product meal, ground brown rice, corn gluten meal, dried beet pulp, porcine animal fat preserved with BHA, poultry fat preserved with ethoxyquin, dehulled soybean meal, poultry digest, dried whey, fish meal, wheat germ, fish oil

Iguana
Dehulled soybean meal, dehydrated alfalfa meal, ground soybean hulls, wheat middlings, ground corn,

Some of their stuff seems alright (especially the gel/powder formulas) but in general, it just sounds like a lot of by products and junk.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

NB as assured folks that they wont be making any changes..theyre still in charge, but DM will be handling marketing and blahblahblah. Thats what they say anyway.

I got the email about the natura recall..and thought, Huh? Werent they JUST recalled? Maybe its a late email.... oh boy.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I get a lot of people asking for it on holiday because otherwise they can't touch it.

same with cat, fish, etc

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

A least dogs can live (reasonably well) on vegan diets. Those diets are more difficult to make, but still possible. Vegetarian diets for dogs are easier to comeby.

Cats, though, for most vegan diets, will get sick and die, usually of heart disease.

Why not?
I know theyre obligate carnivores but with making a diet, can't you make something that makes up a cats needs? Combining whatever plants to make up the needed proteins, and dietary needs plus taurine added in. What is it exactly that makes it not work?

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

That makes sense..Ive actually never heard of someone wanting a vegan diet so I'm not too well versed on that... for vegetarian, I figured Ok, you get these plant things with x amino acids and then this plant thing with the rest and viola, complete protein diet. Obv. its not as simple as that though.

Related to taste.. do the crappier brands put in artificial stuff to make it taste better? Just from experience, I see more dogs eating the hell outta stuff like caesers food and won't touch some of the better "natural" stuff. Or maybe its just more sugar/salt? But I don't really hear dogs who will only eat high quality stuff and wont touch pedigree. In that case, it may be that the owner wouldn't switch to a lower grade food but its caesers food every drat time.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I dont like the new packaging :( BG was neat that it looked so minimalistic..and it was! with the simple flavours, 1-6. Now its all, some salmon or chicken medley with a dumb name and not as cool packaging.

Is it a good idea to recommend limited ingred diets or more novel stuff like lamb/venison for breeds prone to itchiness (bull dogs, pits) off the bat or is just plain chicken/beef stuff okay?

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

cats and kittens have diff nutritional needs so the different formulas are made to meet aafco standards/requirements..you shouldnt feed a kitten Adult only food because it may miss out on what growing kittens need.. Food made for all life stages meet both kitten/cat requirements.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I don't have a good base weight settled on the dog yet, what do you guys think of her body atm?

I can feel the last 3-4 ribs now, but not hips.

Ranging up almost 2 cups rarely to 1 cup+ a day. On the recommended feed, its 1 3/4 cup for 30lb dog.. shes ranging from 24-30lb but I think 26-28 is what I should aim for. I haven't weighed her today though.

Another issue is that her poop is not settling at all. Its been about a month since Ive had her, did a cold turkey switch from her previous food from natural balance to merricks and it went south into liqui-town. After 2 weeks, I switched over to merricks grain free - again without transitioning since I figured the formulas were similar enough. Been using immodium as suggested here which does help but today it was pretty much liquid consistency too. It *might* have to do with me just feeding a bit kibble earlier in the day but evening having a long training session with lots of treats. The plan so far is feeding more kibble meals, using it as treats, adding some canned pumpkin in to help and if it doesn't settle more within a week..start suspecting something else? giardia???

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

Body condition looks fine to me in those pictures. They're a little dark so the top down looks a bit excessively thin.

What was her stool like on the original food? You've been using primarily higher protein foods, so you may have to try something a little lower on the "premium" scale to see if that's the issue. It's certainly possible you're dealing with a parasite of some kind, but it's also possible it is food related.

It was kinda soft yellowish, but pickable. Looking at the protein %, theirs was 21..to 23. then to 38 which is a big jump. I actually will be settling on a food thats back to 23- i just happened to have the grain free bags from a sale. Today was all firm though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

What about soulistic? Photos of it seems pretty wet and shreddy.

I believe a lot of those brands have a more homestyle version of their regular food. Wellness has the signature selects.
http://www.shescribes.com/2013/07/new-wellness-signature-selects-cat-food.html

Blues got stuff like this http://bluebuffalo.com/cat-food/healthy-gourmet-flaked-turkey?pf=1&type=wet&animal=cat
natures variety pride http://mehimandthecats.com/pride-by-instinct/

If it really is the texture, you can look up reviews of food and can probably find a photo of what it looks like inside.