Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Wet food question for this princess:

Meet Aphra. Former stray, been with me about a week and a half since I scooped her up off the streets of Boston. Story here. Spayed, shots given, FIV/FeLV negative, treated for fleas. Recovering well. I don't know what she was eating before I got her, but I have tried a few foods and she doesn't seem to be especially picky (or sensitive to food changes), with a few exceptions: she won't touch anything with pureed pumpkin in it, and for some reason she doesn't like the soupy chicken in broth type food. I'm trying Blue Buffalo Freedom Fish Recipe but I'm not crazy about ingredients like carrots and potatoes. She loves it, of course, and anything else with fish in it to the point where if I eat fish I have to eat it in the other room or she'll be right in my face.

Been looking at maybe Tiki Cat or Solid Gold. Is menadione bad? The OP was inconclusive, but that was six years ago, and a lot of premium foods seem to have it. I tried one of the Tiki Cat recipes when I first got her because I was just trialing different things to see what she'd eat, and the conclusion is she goes bonkers for fish. Fish treats are the only ones she'll touch, too. Other than that I just want to feed her good food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

owls or something posted:

I ditched the fancy brands for Purina's Pro Plan wet food and my sweet precious kitty eats it happily and has been completely fine and healthy. Costs about the same as Blue Buffalo, but isn't completely loaded with carrot chunks and potato.

Weirdly, Blue Buffalo Wilderness appears to be pretty great in terms of ingredients, even compared to their other lines like Basics or Freedom.

Aphra would probably eat a potato it you offered it to her. The little dingus keeps trying to get my oatmeal.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

LoreOfSerpents posted:

This is from an older post, but I went looking for info about menadione today after we decided to switch one of our cats' diets again, because the new food we're trialing has menadione. I found this interesting: http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2011/07/vitamin-k3-menadione-in-pet-food-is-it-safe/

Even though it's from 2011, the comments go up to late 2018, and the author has been good about correcting/updating viewpoints on other topics, so I'm guessing the conclusion still holds.

That blog seems like it answers a lot of pet nutrition (and overall health) questions with realism. Stark contrast from the sensationalist pet articles that usually get top billing in Google search results. Pretty neat.

The author even goes to the trouble of responding to the insane morons with civil, level-headed answers, which is more than I'd have the patience for.