Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

cryingscarf posted:

I was looking for it on the list too. They have a grain free kibble too now called Nature's Domain that I am tempted to switch to while money is tight (it is something like 29 lbs for $35?). Is there a catch with it or is it okay?

Dog Food Advisor link. It (and I think the other Kirkland brands) are listed at 4 stars out of five. There's a long writeup with the ingredients list and estimated nutrient content. Kirkland's dog food was manufactured by Diamond at least last year and were a part of the massive recall from then. I'm still somewhat concerned about that. My dog is pathetically tiny and huge bags of kibble are impractical for me and really he's cheap enough to feed that I don't care how much a bag of kibble costs. If I suddenly inherited 4 great danes or something I might look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

cryingscarf posted:

I should have put more info in my original post. I have read that dog food advisor page like 4 times because I keep reconsidering it every month or so. Dex used to be on TOTW and did fine on it. I switched to Wellness Core when the recall stuff was going on and he loves it. Problem is that I am graduating college and starting Real Life and going from $60 a bag to $35 would help a ton. It is a stupid balance of wanting to feed my dog the best food I can and wanting to make sure I can have money put aside for a vet bill if one comes. And then the guilt of putting my dog on a "4 star food" :cry: I read millions all the comments on the dog food advisor page on Nature's Domain and I don't know. There are lots of good reviews and some bad, but I dont know how trustworthy half those people are. Anyone here try ND and like it? Help me feel less guilty.

Costco products tend to be really good in general and if there is an issue they try to address it. I've had a recall with people food once or twice and they're good about tracking purchases and sending out phone calls if something goes wrong.. I tend to avoid comments in general on dog food adviser because it seems like pet owners have problems with EVERYTHING on that site. I'm still balking a bit at them just because of that massive recall, but if wasn't for that I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. Maybe if you're concerned about the kibble quality in general you could mix it with something else?

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

Sometimes, you're in the vet hospital really late at night...

... you're super hungry, and everything is closed...

...and that cat food that you're heating in the microwave suddenly starts smelling so good...

Don't eat Purina JM. It tastes like how fish food smells.

If you do, start another thread in GBS about it.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The Wellness is confusing me because I don't know why they have garlic in it. Garlic's not great for dogs. What're you doing, Wellness?

I'm a little wary about blue just because when they have a recall it's not usually for something relatively minor.

I bought whatever the grain free version of Blue Buffalo is called. I didn't notice it had garlic in it until long after I got home. Then today I picked up some Canidae brand treats, got home and noticed garlic on the ingredients list. I think some company bigwigs got together somewhere and decided that garlic was trendy for some reason.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Superconsndar posted:

Nutty dog ladies who are into holistic medicine tout garlic as a natural flea repellant and never shut up about how they never have to harm their dog with "chemicals" to repel fleas because they cram them full of as much garlic + food-grade dichotomous earth as possible. Maybe something to do with that.

Are you loving making GBS threads me.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Eegah posted:

You folks laugh but I've been giving Tater a teaspoon of garlic a day and last week's supermoon was only the third time that he's turned into a werewolf.

Small wonder he's having that problem! Did you know the more of an ingredient you use, the less effective it is? The best thing you can do is to grate up that fresh garlic and then dilute it in water until you need to use ppm to measure it. You see, the water holds a memory of the substances it has in it, and the less there is, the harder the water has to remember. On top of that, garlic in that quantity is an offlabel use, all you're going to do is prevent rabid bats from attacking. I've got Beartato down to a 5 ppm garlic, 2ppm chamomile solution and I have not seen one vampire since the first few days I had him.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Mr. Belding posted:

I gave her half of her normal "breakfast" amount and supplemented the other half with the egg, which is a great protein and fat source for basically any carnivore or omnivore. The egg is infinitely better for her than the science diet.

And not to be rude, but calling an egg a "human" food is hilarious. There are a lot of species that have to back off our egg monopoly I guess.

AAFCO minimum standards aren't great, but they do make pet food companies provide the nutrients that your pup needs. Eggs aren't going to cover that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Spermy Smurf posted:

I've come groveling back, looking for advice even if it's "suck it up and pay for it" which I'm more than willing to do, but wanted to know if someone could help me decipher ingredients.

My dog with pancreatitis has been given this food:

http://www.purinaveterinarydiets.com/Product/ENGastroentericDogFood.aspx

It's retarded expensive for a 32 pound bag. It's more than double (almost $90) what I pay for the other dog food which is a 40 pound bag.

Other ones I've found that may work:

Blue buffalo senior, which has 8% fat and can be special ordered by a friend of mine for $65 per 30-pounds.
http://www.bluebuffalo.com/dog-food/lp-senior-chicken

The Weight Management and Senior formulas from Innova are roughly $60 per 30-lb bag and have 10% fat.
http://www.innovapet.com/products/1780
http://www.innovapet.com/products/1781

And finally, the place I work has this and I get a stupidly good discount with 12% fat:
http://www.poulingrain.com/product_details.php?product_id=279&category_id=7

I'm finding normal dog food to have something like 17-22% fat content.

The only thing I really understand to look at is fat content. She has been eating a bland diet of rice and chicken/hamburger, but that isn't a viable long-term solution because dogs need more than that for nutrients and whatnot.

It's a prescription formula specifically for your dog's health condition while the others are general food for older dogs. You need to do what the vet says on this. If you really don't like the contents of the food you can ask your vet about using other brands of prescription foods for your dog's condition, but there might not be much variation on content.

A side note: your dog has a chronic health condition now. You need to trust your vet. If you can't do that, find a vet that you can trust.

Dogdoo 8 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 24, 2014