Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Bluedeanie posted:

Thoughts on Blue Buffalo's wilderness like of dry cat food vs its standard line? Our cat has historically been on Wilderness, and we recently tried switching her to the wet version and turns out she is a priss and prefers dry. We got her the regular BB dry out of necessity and she likes it fine, plus she was chonky on Wilderness and lost a little with the Wilderness weight control formula but I wonder if a less rich line will be better or worse.

BB Wilderness is their grain free & high protein line. BB Freedom isn't much different with regards to ingredients, it just has more carbs and fiber and less protein. BB Freedom wet is what we've been feeding our Noodle. It's an ok, middle of the road food that she's happy and willing to eat consistently after many many trials with other more expensive brands. If they're happy to eat it I think that's ultimately what matters. For what it's worth her coat is great, poops don't really stink, she's hydrated, has energy and is maintaining a healthy weight on it.

An all dry food diet isn't typically ideal though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Annath posted:

Ingredient wise, the 4health looks very good:

First & most abundant ingredient is broth, which is why it's so much cheaper. I suspect you'll end up needing to feed more of it vs the BB as it's got less calories per can. Might not even be that much cheaper in the end.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Bluedeanie posted:

I agree, but she was only eating the wet reluctantly and often leaving significant amounts of it to crust over altogether, and I was following feeding instructions carefully so I don't think I was overfeeding her. I'd rather she be eating than give her a higher quality diet but she underfeeds herself voluntarily.

Good call with Wilderness being grain free, I will go back to that once this small trial bag runs out.

The freedom line is grain free too.

It took us about 6 weeks to really break Noodle from her shelter grazing kibble addiction. Our own fault for reinforcing that behavior after we adopted her. She knew we'd have to give her kibbles if she held out and it wasn't a fun journey making the switch, but our hand was forced after she had a UTI. Now we have her exclusively on one 5.5oz can per day broken into two meals about 12h apart. I think her walnut sized brain has finally forgotten that kibble exists and resistance is futile.

We wasted a lot of food though during that month or two and it really pissed me off plenty of times. It's like she was doing it to spite me.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

DkHelmet posted:

Could there have been anything else that caused a superpower to barf whole kibble back up hours after eating?

Hairballs can cause them to barf undigested food up, especially bad during shedding time.

owls or something fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 17, 2019

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

It seems weird to me to be worrying about the grain free issue but ignoring the all dry food being horrible issue.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

It sounds like your vet just sucks. But yeah, some vets really do push their sponsored by Hill's bullshit to people needlessly.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I ditched the fancy brands for Purina's Pro Plan wet food and my sweet precious kitty eats it happily and has been completely fine and healthy. Costs about the same as Blue Buffalo, but isn't completely loaded with carrot chunks and potato.

As a former Nestle factory employee I can say that they have really, really good food safety/quality stuff going on behind the scenes in their factories. Their brands are the least often recalled which I've come to think is what's really important.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Blue Buffalo doesn't make their own foods. It's contracted out to 3rd parties. That's why their food is so inconsistent. It's also why I have shunned them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Nutritionally all their foods are below average, but with the price tag of higher quality. I'd stay away from BB simply because you can get better foods cheaper. You're paying for marketing. Covering entire walls of Petcos with their like 200 varieties is probably expensive.

But yeah, the inconsistency between cans/bags doesn't fly when you got a picky cat that thinks you keep changing their food because every can is a gamble.