Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MikeyTsi posted:

I'm trying to find a low phosphorus/magnesium content food for my dogs that isn't something that's loaded with by-products, is there a list somewhere that might have this information?

I've been feeding Orijen, but they changed their formulation so the content they list is now "at least" .9% instead of "up to", so I think I need to roll them to something higher quality.

This is an old post so don't know if you're still following but was curious if you found something. My dog potentially has early stage renal failure and was hoping for something better than Hill's. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Thank you! I hadn't heard of that brand before. They have something that looks really good.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MikeyTsi posted:

Note that their vet diets, like any vet diet, requires a prescription from a veterinarian.

Also depending on where you're located you'll probably need to order it as only a few chains carry Farmina and I haven't found any that actually stock the vet diets.

Where do you get yours? I'm in Seattle myself.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MikeyTsi posted:

I order it from them. It get's fulfilled from some place in PA and they ship it. Estimate about a week for it to be delivered.

If you don't need the vet diets there's one of the local chains that carries the standard food.

If you can't wait maybe try Blue, they're a lot more widely distributed so you might have better luck, and Blue is a top-tier brand.

I thought maybe somebody here carried it. What I'm going to do is get a bunch of different foods. It's annoying for sure but my dog gets bored if I don't switch up foods. Right now I just have a few bags of food and have something different each meal.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MikeyTsi posted:

Be careful about introducing new proteins if you're going to do that, if your dog develops an allergy you need to make sure to give them a unique protein they've never had and that's really hard if you feed them a bunch of different stuff.

He's 18, I don't think he'll develop any allergies now.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Bluedeanie posted:

What do you guys think about "limited ingredient" formulas? My Aussir has been on a lamb and pea limited ingredient recipe from Simply Nourish for several months now and while he seems to be doing well on it, all this taurine business has me wondering if both he and my pet food expenditures might be better off on a more typical line of food.

If your pet doesn't have food sensitivities or allergies it doesn't seem necessary.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Vet recommended Royal Canin regular or a prescription formula?

edit: sorry just missed where you said Royal Canin Renal the first time. It might be better than the Sciene Diet K/d

edit 2: what are they eating now?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ophidia posted:

at the moment they are eating royal canin renal. they dont like it very much but at least they eat most of it

What were they eating before this I mean.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ophidia posted:

ah sorry. before that they were eating cats finefood

Yeah, go to the prescription food. That was already a pretty good food ( looking at the ingredients of Classic chicken for example doesn't have all the bad stuff), so like mentioned you really need to get the one that is specifically low protein and phosphorus. Sometimes if you had a really bad food just switching to something good will help...but I don't think the Catz finefood would be high in ash or the other stuff that can also cause problems.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Reiterpallasch posted:

So my roommate's cat (a Siberian) apparently needs to shed a pound or so, and I know very little about cats. He gets Orijen which is apparently pretty good for a dry food (at least the OP endorses it?), and I don't think it's feasible to get him wet food or use one of those rotating-tray-of-compartments-that-you-measure-yourself feeders. How accurate are the automatic feeders which claim to dispense a certain volume of kibble at programmed times? Are any of them accurate enough to be used for caloric control?

https://superfeederstore.com/
Many years ago now, I used one of these, and it seemed to be accurate. It was good for feeding many small portions during the day. That kept the cat from getting hungry after a few hours (otherwise she'd eat plastic) but also from eating too much. My complaint would be that you set the portion size by turning a tiny little screw on a potentiometer, so it takes a bit of trial and error to get it right.

I see there are more choices than there used to be on Amazon. Was using a battery operated PetSafe one before and it kind of sucked and broke, but I don't remember exactly how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My personal recommendation is to only feed grain-free if your pet has a grain allergy.

I have an idea. Instead of a hopelessly out of date OP let's add a list of pet stores that sell high quality food.

For example: Seattle: Mud Bay, Petapoluza

Bay Area: Pet Food Express