Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Important to note that people are reporting sicknesses and possible poisoning from Taste of the Wild dog food, possibly extending to the cat food as well. A recall is probably coming soon, and I would cross Taste of the Wild off the list of good food choices.

It seems that Fromm and Orijen are the top contender right now? Any history of recalls/poisonings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Glass Hand posted:

God drat it, why is it so hard to find a good vet. My first one lost his license for dog-punching, the second one couldn't use a scale, and now this.

I need to hear more about the first and second vets. :allears:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I used to feed my cat Science Diet cause he wasn't adapting well to other foods when I tried to wean him off of it, but recently and successfully switched him to Taste of the Wild. I have a backup bag of it now for emergency cases, e.g. aforementioned Taste of the Wild contamination :catstare:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

EVG posted:

Has anyone heard about recalls for Taste of the Wild "high prairie" dog food?

Our dog recently got really sick and was diagnosed with an ulcer- his appetite is just slowly starting to return after a couple weeks and a few pounds lost, and he will just barely be willing to eat deli meat and chicken now (we've been offering anything just to get him to eat SOMETHING).

I'm concerned that if it was due to his food, he'll get sick again once he starts eating kibble once more.

Taste of the Wild has recently had reports of dogs getting sick off the dry food, as noted in our recent thread on the matter. I would recommend moving away from Taste of the Wild.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What’s the new hotness for dry cat food? I never liked Science Diet and this just makes me want to switch, but the last recommended food I tried gave my cat dandruff and weird rashy patches.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jet’s used to Science Diet, but I’ve considered switching his food to something better. That said, I’m mostly worried about the possibility of urinary crystals and periodontal disease - but he seems fine so far...it’s hard to tell.

Is there a way to check if my cat is having urinary issues, or has teeth issues? Nothing’s really come up at vet visits, but boy is his breath terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

owls or something posted:

Blue Buffalo doesn't make their own foods. It's contracted out to 3rd parties. That's why their food is so inconsistent. It's also why I have shunned them.

Oof. Never using them.