Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Gar or anyone else who feeds Wellness Core (or any Wellness, I guess), does the consistency often change radically? I picked it up because HelloSailorSign spoke highly of it, but the latest batch has been mushy as hell. Looking around online, this seems to be a common problem that people are reporting with the new batches, but Wellness doesn't seem to be responding to it very well. :(

Yeah, the new chicken cans are mushy. We used it for years and never had an issue before now. The chicken mixes and non-chicken flavors seem OK, but I'm just waiting to get a batch of watery food the cat won't eat from those, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Wellness got back to me and were very nice about the situation. They did confirm that they often see texture changes particularly on a seasonal basis because of how the ingredients arrive, at least with the Core line. They said the food should still nutritionally be the same, but they want to be contacted whenever a pet refuses to eat the food.

Thanks for reporting back. I'll give Wellness a heads-up next time I get a bad flat of chicken. Granted, my cat is a Persian/Siamese mix so she's full of neuroses, but maybe it'll help them get their QC act together.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

ukrainius maximus posted:

she just really likes to drink, especially from her own cup at the table while I eat

Omg :3:

ukrainius maximus posted:

I'm concerned that she may never lose the hanging pouch that she has though. I'm not sure if it's from being fixed or if she really was just that fat, hopefully it slims down.

It's really common in cats that have been spayed. Accept your feline for the cutie she is.

My cat has been fixed and lost weight, too. She has a pad of fat that pulls the excess skin down, and it hasn't gone away over the past 2 years since the weight loss. It'll probably never go away, but it keeps her feet warm when she sits, like a penguin. It's also funny to watch swing side to side as she runs, and doesn't seem to be bothering her.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
My cat had to have two teeth pulled in February (poor thing hid it really well). She was already under for a cleaning so it didn't add anything astronomical onto that cost, but avoid it if you can. (The laser treatment to help cauterize the wound is worth it; pay the extra :10bux: or whatever for it.)

Trying to get a cat to take a pain pill that's just had mouth surgery is not fun.

I'll check out that liquid; maybe we can keep the rest of her teeth in better shape.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

vaginadeathgrip posted:

I've been feeding my kitkat Wellness canned turkey for basically her entire life (she's almost nine. NINE!) and they just decided to do a formula overhaul. I bought what was supposed to be the equivalent but she has always had a very sensitive stomach, so any change in formula is rough on her. She hates the new stuff.

The new formula seems to go bad much quicker after it's out of the can. My cat is a grazer so sometimes her food sits out a little longer, but this stuff smells real funky pretty quickly, and she also threw it up this morning.

Anyway, I feel bad for her because I know she feels like poo poo and I can't gradually feed her something else at this point since I don't have any of the old stuff left. Changing food on her after 9 years of the same poo poo seems like a nightmare but I have no choice.

Does anyone have any advice for the two week long diarrhea parade I am about to encounter? Any way to make her not feel like poo poo while she is adjusting to a new food?

Get to local pet stores to see if they have any old label stuff left to start mixing in slowly to transition her. We were able to find about a month's worth of the old label stuff at a PetCo.

Our cat had issues with the new stuff too. Some loose stools, but now our siamese is refusing to eat it entirely. I called Wellness and they're sending me coupons to see if it's a batch issue (the batch we got didn't have any of the meat gel stuff). That cat is picky and mostly texture-minded, so we may have to switch foods entirely if we can't get it sorted.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Yeah, if our cat could tolerate the new formula we'd still be on Wellness. Very cost effective in the big cans.

Picked up Halo and Merrick to try the cat on next. If she eats a spoon of it, we'll start switching her over slowly. It was tough to find something that didn't have cassia or xanthan gum that was grain-free. I hope the alfalfa meal in them will sit well with her.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

7of7 posted:

I'm sorry if this was covered already but I checked several pages back and didn't see anything.

My cat has been eating Evo Chicken+Turkey dry food since I switched him to it from what the rescue org was feeding him around 3 years ago. He seems to like it but the guy at my local pet food shop said Evo is not being made anymore.

I can't find anything about this on the Internet other than some posts from 2015 and one Amazon review but all the stores show it as out of stock so I'm guessing it's true.

Anyway assuming it is going away can anyone recommend something with similar qualities? I checked catfooddb and it seems like the other dry foods listed in the op are lower in protein and higher in carbs or at least calories from carbs than Evo .

Somewhat related but I swear I was buying big 25-40lb bags of Evo before but everything I'm seeing for other foods is in the 15lb range. Even Evo 's site says the max is 15lb. Am I imagining things or was there a larger size before? I thought for a second I was buying dog food but the colors aren't the same.

I switched to wet several years back so I can't help with the first part, but I can confirm you aren't crazy re: giant bags of Evo cat food. We used to get giant bags from the feed store, and I think they were 35lbs? They were pretty big.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

nulldev1ce posted:

This isn't so much a nutrition-related inquiry, but here goes. We feed our kitty this stuff: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZRFJJF ZiwiPeak wet food from New Zealand. The other day, after a trip to the vet for routine maintenance, she was feeling lousy after the shots, so I brought her breakfast in bed. I wanted to take the chill off the stuff after it had been in the fridge for a day (we give her half a can a day or thereabouts) so I set it to nuke for 10 seconds in the microwave. It only got about 3 seconds because it popped and sparked like the 4th of July so I stopped it immediately.

I've occasionally microwaved cat food over the years for kittens or ailing kitties and never had that happen. I get that there are minerals and such in the food, but what the hell? I did a cursory search and saw that a few others have experienced this, but the responses were all "oh you should NEVER microwave cat food, it ruins it!" or "you will burn your cat's face off" or "the brand you're using is straight up poison and you should burn in hell for feeding it to your cat at all" etc. I'm just curious about which ingredient(s) would cause the light show.

(She ate it all happily. Maybe she liked the little charred bits.)

Iron, magnesium, selenium-- the ones from the metals group in the periodic table are what you're looking at.

Any time you get minerals in dense moist food they can spark-- I've had it happen with green beans. The food's still safe, just a bit burn at the arc spots.

I microwave our cat's second wet food serving daily, mixing it up so there are no hot spots after of course. You're fine to keep doing it. Maybe turn the power down if you're worried about more fires?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

litany of gulps posted:

I was actually looking over this thread with a similar question. I've been using Wellness (various wet varieties) for years now with no real issues. Was just curious to see if the thread consensus had a new top brand in mind or anything like that.

Our cat couldn't handle the gelling agent they switched to last year, despite us gradually transitioning to the new formula. We switched her to Merrick (it didn't have the binder she couldn't tolerate) but she was doing fine on Wellness wet before the change. I wish she was still able to tolerate Wellness because it was much cheaper!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Ours tried to steal a banana Laffy Taffy from me last night. Kept finding ways to lick it when I wasn't looking, too. What part of that could even possibly smell good to a cat?!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

I am trying to guide my Mom through her financial difficulties, but I can't stop her from spending $45 a week buying Wellness cat food from Amazon to feed two cats. She's apparently heard from some hippies about how dangerous carrageenan is, though from what I can see these seem to be the same people who think my cell phone is killing my brain. I feel like I could lower her cat food bills by a third if I get pry her off this crusade. Is this insane?

Our cat can't tolerate whatever they replaced the carrageenan with and so we can't feed her Wellness anymore. I was sad when that happened because Wellness was relatively cheap "good" food when bought in the 12oz cans. Is your mom buying the tiny cans individually or something?

But yes your mom has a problem and carrageenan isn't going to kill your cat. Especially on the time scale that cats live.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Cheesus posted:

One of my cats just had her second dental cleaning and this time, a tooth removed.

I had been feeding her Blue Buffalo Blue Wilderness Adult Salmon Recipe Dry Cat Food for most of her life. The vet thinks that because the kibble is so small, it's been sticking to her teeth hence the tarter built up. I switched to the bigger kibble of Hill's Science Diet Adult Oral Care Dry Cat Food, but then read the third ingredient is corn gluten meal.

The kibble is about a 1/4, grazing supplement outside of her primary wet (grain free) food.

Does anyone have a recommendation for healthier cat kibble that helps keep their teeth clean?

My vet has us use dental food as treats, saying about 10 kibbles a day should be enough to clean her teeth. We feed wet food otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

Got a question for you, pet nutrition thread!

My two cats' birthdays are tomorrow, and I'm tryna make them little cat cakes :3: I've seen a few recipes that use about 1.5TBSP of AP flour, so I'm assuming it's okay, but then some random YouTuber said it's bad and to only use coconut flour, do now I'm confused. Is AP flour alright for my furbutts?

Knowing them they'll probably sniff the cake, meow at me loudly and unapprovingly, then go try to eat my Bluetooth headphones case, but I still wanna try!

It's fine for a special occasion. Some people go really extreme on the obligate carnivore thing, which is what I bet the YouTuber was on.