Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

My cat WILL NOT EAT wet cat food. She won't eat canned tuna, canned cat food, anything wet. I've spent probably $50 trying to find a wet food she'll eat and thus far haven't been able to. She'll lick it a few times and then turn to look at me as if she's saying "What's with this food?" I've tried most of the tricks people recommended to me - heating it to just above room temperature, mixing it with or sprinkling it with dry kibble to make it more appealing to her, and so on. Nothing has helped. Rather than try to force the issue and court Hepatic lipidosis, I have (for the moment) stopped trying to get her to eat wet food, and instead I make sure that she ALWAYS has ample water from her drinking fountain.

Currently she's being fed Nature's Variety Instinct cat food (The one with the freeze-dried bits of chicken in it), around 3/8ths of a cup per day (and even then most days she leaves a bit of kibble in her auto-feeder).

For christmas my parents bought her a bag of 'Purina Beyond' cat food. I glanced at it and it CLAIMS to be grain-free, no meat by-products, etc. Since that's what the OP says is good for cats it seems Ok at first glance. But the fact that it's purina brand makes me wary. I don't mind changing up her food to give her some variety, and if this food is decent enough I wouldn't mind giving it to her.

https://www.beyondpetfood.com/products/cat/grain-free-ocean-whitefish-egg/

If you guys think it's a poor choice I'll likely donate the bag to a shelter or something, but I'd appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

*cough* Speaking of purina *cough* any thoughts on my recent question regarding their beyond pet food? :cabot:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Any cat owners out there that can comment on 'Fussie cat' wet food? It doesn't appear to be in the list of brands in the OP.

I'm trying to get Jade to try wet food and had heard many people swear by that brand.

khy fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 4, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

A while back Jade, my cat, had a thyroid tumor that was causing her to produce too much Thyroid hormone which hosed up her metabolism.

She ended up losing half her bodyweight in a very, very short time. I got the tumor treated and life is good again.

In an effort to bring her bodyweight back up to the normal I started feeding her Nature's Variety Instinct from the OP. It worked too well. She has become tubby. Which is cute and cuddly but not healthy to have a fatass cat.

Before the tumor I had her on Chicken Soup for the cat Lover adult lite formula. I'm wondering if there's a better 'lite' formula cat food that is recommended. I've tried multiple times to switch her to wet food but she's always been really finicky about it and at best eats like, half a can of wet food before losing interest and once she's lost interest she won't eat any more.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I would like some assistance please regarding cat food. While speaking with the Vet, the vet mentioned that recent studies show grain-free foods have been linked to heart disease in pets. A search of the subject DOES bring up articles about it for dogs, but not for cats. That said, I'm inclined to believe the vet is right and as such I'm wondering about a few things.

The treats I give her are most certainly NOT grain free. The treats I'm giving her now are Temptations Cat treats, which she adores - they DO have corn, rice, and wheat in them. She gets several treats daily, though I try not to spoil her TOO much with them. Would this be enough to give her some grain to offset the grain-free food?

I'm currently feeding my cat Solid Gold Indigo Moon, as it is listed in the OP as being one of the better dry foods. Wet food is problematic for multiple reasons, not the least of which is she just licks it a few times then leaves. Should I change to a different dry food? I know that the 'wet food is always better, use that' is the mantra, but for a dry food diet should I stick with what I've got or change it up?