Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
We get a lot of vague statements (from myself also I'm not innocent) about Nintendo's financial state. I feel like it may be worse than we think just because the Wii U was released at all. Anyone who stuck with Nintendo through the years can tell that the Wii U as it stands now is half-baked, very clearly rushed out the door and held together with tape compared to their previous systems. Seeing it compared to the Dreamcast in the thread title reminds me of how Sega, due to their own financial situation, basically had to get the Dreamcast out sooner than they had wanted to. Even with consistently incredible games coming out for it regularly, and out of the box online play Sega couldn't keep it afloat. Major (then) publishers like Konami dropped all support for it the day the PS2's launch date was announced.

The problem here though is that unlike Sega, Nintendo can't possibly be making any money off this thing until they actually get their first party stuff out. The Dreamcast held Sega up for a bit because they dropped great games on it non-stop and had a clearly large library ready to go. After the Gamecube, post 2008 Wii and 3DS, obviously Nintendo KNOWS it would be silly to drop a console onto the market without some really strong first party games coming out regularly. The Wii U has been around for less than a year and it's already exhibiting limitations the only solution to which is "release a new system," just like the Wii. This is such a poor stopgap they most likely SHOULD have made a tablet add-on for the Wii instead.

Is it possible they had planned to do this and got cold feet when the HD releases of the UDraw tanked hard? It would explain the confused E3 debut of the Wii U as well as the marketing being vague and making so many people think it's just an add-on.

Did they really lose so much talent and knowledge on making "AAA" games or whatever between the Gamecube and the Wii? I mean even as the guys that just published stuff like Rogue Leader they should know how to make a game look good. Are they having trouble attracting new talent? What happened with this that they have no bench to draw from?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Harry posted:

Are you trying to say the financials they're filing with governing bodies are a lie?

Not at all, just many people including myself will make sweeping statements like "Nintendo is doing okay right now" or whatever because we're just looking at "3DS do great, Wii U do bad" and making a generalization about how much money they have to spare.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Harry posted:

I'm still not getting your point since these aren't just completely unknown.

I have a Wii U, and it was definitely rushed. With the next patch that should fix usability, and a couple of good games I can see it reviving. I'm not a huge gamer though, and couldn't even begin to care about social gaming.

It's probably because you've laser focused yourself on this one sentence instead of my entire post. My point is that if they could afford to wait a few months and not release a rushed system with no games of their own to put on it they probably should have. They either couldn't due to anxious shareholders or because they're incompetent and didn't learn anything from their past decades in the business and other company's failures. Either their shareholders have no financial confidence in them or they're stupid.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Space Racist posted:

My big question is, with the pending launch of PS4 and Xbox-whatever, can anything they do really generate enough momentum? Even with a new marketing push and decent releases, I don't see how they can salvage this holiday season without a significant price cut.

I feel like the only thing they can really do is eat it, drop the price to $250 and have it include ZombiU/Pikmin/whatever download codes. Hell they should do a couple of different packages that are the same hardware but with different games like Sony does every holiday. Sony isn't going to launch $599 US dollars again so the price advantage won't be huge like it was with the Wii/PS3 launching within a week of each other, so they need every system they sell to come with a real game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fallom posted:

I'm not sure if he ever actually apologized because I'm pretty sure he bided his time until the PS3 was worth his time to develop for and offered the tools he thought his game needed.

I think the overall reverence with which he publicly held Sony the year Portal 2 came out was apology enough. Didn't he open up his presentation during the Sony E3 keynote of that year with "First off I'd like to thank Kaz for not punching me in the face" or something? Shame the PSN went down from that hacking incident basically the day Portal 2 and Socom 4 came out completely killing both games on the system.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

OatmealRaisin posted:

I've always been curious about what could have been done with the Dreamcast if it had lasted long enough for devs to figure out ways around its limitations like they always do with mature consoles. Like, when the PS2 first launched I never would have guessed we'd have games that look as good as MGS3 or FFXII by the time developers were done squeezing every last drop of power from the machine.

They actually were able to get Virtua Fighter 4 running on it. There was some preview/demo footage of it on the Japanese collector's edition of Sonic Adventure 2. Also of course the models look like crap by today's standards but seriously: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0WsS8R93_Y This having no loading times, even smoother than Metroid Prime was mindbending at the time with the quality textures and 60FPS and epic scope of the levels.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 6, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's not console warrior-like at all. Microsoft was never interested in having a game in and of itself be exclusive to the XBox because it's not really their model. What they do instead is pay out the $$$ for marketing exclusivity and to get things like map packs for Call of Duty games a month before they come out on PS3. They're built around subscriptions and selling information and advertising deals, which is why the upcoming new Xbox is the way it is. So you get a lot of short term exclusives because the idea isn't to get people to keep buying THAT GAME, it's to get people to consistently become members of all the services Microsoft offers. They don't make money off the game sales themselves. The original XBox probably has more retail exclusives than the 360.

Even in the dark awful days of the PS3 launch Sony was more interested in getting stuff truly exclusive to the PS3 itself. Which they've capitalized on in a big way now the same way Microsoft did a great job of ingraining "subscribing to XBox Live" into their own audience.

Nintendo's thing, and the reason I understand Chris Christie's lack of interest in the Wii U, was that Nintendo's "thing" was always the games themselves. On the SNES especially they were dropping stuff left and right that simply wasn't physically possible on any other platform at the time, besides having a lot of genuinely original stuff. Gaming is literally their business and they make money off the games. They wisely predicted the increasing budgets of the AAA game model and took things in a different direction with the Wii (same as they did with the DS) and reaped the benefits.

With the Wii U, the hardware itself is pretty cool in concept and I use it a lot for streaming purposes, but game-wise? You can tell the system was rushed out and that Nintendo is having some trouble finding its niche. I'm excited to see what they have planned for this year and, even if they completely drop the ball in the ways I and others keep pointing out it's not going to be enough to doom them or anything like that.

The thing is though, right now we don't have that batch of must have exclusives, I know it can take some time. Remember at one point the DS was the death of Nintendo, then six months later WarioWare Touched/Kirby Canvas Curse/Mario Kart/Nintendogs all came out at once and it was over. Wii U sales died because they weren't able to deliver Pikmin III and maybe one other awesome game this summer, so we'll see what happens come Christmas. I'm also really interested in seeing what Retro is working on.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 6, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Oh, I had no idea Earthbound was actually a survival horror game that was intentionally crippling players abilities to play up how powerless an individual was against a world trying to kill them.

This isn't actually true. SH2 has arguably stiff controls because it was a "horror game" on a console which meant it had to follow the template of Resident Evil. However, while it is true that RE1 and 2 are intentionally slow paced for tension, Silent Hill series in particular actually gives you a far faster running speed, the ability to strafe, quick turn around, very powerful melee attacks, etc. all of which can be performed very smoothly. It also had pretty nice camera control for a game of its kind. The intentionally "crippling" aspects of it boasted at the time were simply that the main character had a "run out of breath" animation and had a small variety of attacks compared to a brawler or shooter (and that James could stumble form running too much when playing on hard).

The game's emotional impact would be unchanged if it had 1/4 of the enemies in each area as it does, many of which are only there because it's a video game. The actual combat is very simple and non-challenging, and in the hospital area in particular becomes more tedious than intense and outsays its welcome. Like Earthbound though, this is done because the game was sticking to what works for its genre. SH1/2 play like the ur-game of their genre with several refinements the same way Earthbound's combat sticks pretty close to the Dragon Quest formula with some extra touches.

Incredible game just the same, just like others that are, arguably, almost held back by sticking to basics with their control system but stand out because of their depth in other areas of the narrative like Sanitarium, Planescape: Torment, Silent Hill 1, Earthbound, King's Field: The Ancient City, etc. They all reach a point where the main video game interaction, killing stuff, becomes secondary and the experience of the game's tone and atmosphere becomes something more.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 30, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

Yeah the argument doesn't hold that much water. The old Lucas Arts games like Monkey Island, Sam and Max, Grim Fandango still beat earthbound in the Charm and Dialogue department and they were released around the same era. And those games still managed to do justice to their genre in terms of gameplay. You can't say gameplay doesn't matter because that's the entire point of a game. Games that don't care about gameplay all that much and just dialogue are called visual novels, and even back during the SNES era Nintendo had those games on the Super Famicom(they just weren't brought over to America).

Gameplay matters because you can see why people aren't buying the Wii-U, the system is getting some games. But games like Pikmin have gameplay that doesn't really appear interesting to the majority of people. If charm sold games Nintendo would have it in spades, but the system has been out for close to a year and is withholding any sort of big variety of interesting games until well into 2014. It needs stuff that appeals to a large array of demographics so everyone can buy a large amount of whatever genre they like.

I don't think anyone will ever argue that charm sells games, otherwise Earthbound wouldn't be such a cult title. Even the other example in this thread, Silent Hill 2, was something of a sleeper for several years, getting popular mostly through word of mouth and the hype surrounding the then extremely impressive in-game graphics for Silent Hill 3 when that game was first announced.

At the same time though like ImpAtom said, if the combination of gameplay and "charm" if you want to use that as a catchall for the game's atmosphere is right people will get the game. Like you're going to say with a straight face that Sierra adventure games have reasonable puzzles or that Planescape: Torment's combat is on par with Metal Gear Revengeance and that's why they sold?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 30, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

Yep that's true, but that's why earthbound came with a guide because it was just as obtuse as any of the King's Quest games.

I can say with 100% certainty though from personal experience that you can definitely complete Earthbound without a guide. King's Quest VI though, there was no way you were beating it without the included guide.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Not to get back into this, but Neither Disgaea nor Fire Emblem is a RTS game. Both are turn-based. The RT aspect is what tends to throw a lot of the console-based stuff off. They generally involve lots of quick micromanaging which is why mouse/keyboard tend to be best for it.

While I understand the stigma of using a keyboard on a console and why developers generally don't bother with it, is there a reason we don't see mice in games anymore? I have a few strategy games even for the SNES that support that system's mouse and Dreamcast had several games that used it. I know it would be bad for multiplayer FPS because of issues in balancing auto-aim and such but for strategy games and RPGs or whatever? I think this was the first gen where no system had mouse support for anything.

I mentioned earlier in the thread, but I'm surprised a bunch of Wizardry/adventure/whatever games with lots of dense menus and mapping haven't been ported to the Wii U because it would be ideal for that kind of game. Square hasn't even put a no frills port of Final Fantasy III on it yet, the game so ubiquitous that it's even on Ouya.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Atlus especially would make sense. Look at the frothing demand for stuff like Xenoblade not just for being a great game but from Nintendo fans because Nintendo has published it. Atlus is one of the last Japanese publishers that's consistently successful with special editions and having a dedicated, built in audience both in Japan and the US (sorry UK, enjoy your Devil Survivor Overclocked posters :negative: ). To the point where something like even Soul Hackers, a PS1/Saturn RPG from 1997 can get a basic port to the 3DS and do pretty well. They need to swallow up these smaller RPG makers and drop small reprints of stuff with a cd or whatever. Even in Japan it would move systems if there was say a compilation of Persona games on it or something, anything.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

RPGs are niche in general, but I feel like pushing the genre is Nintendo's last chance at getting people in their late twenties who buy every Zelda/Final Fantasy/whatever every time over and over again to pick up a Wii U. At this point I don't know what they could do to make the Wii U even worse off so they may as well.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Even Nintendo hates online multiplayer on Wii U. None of their games have it currently, and neither does Pikmin, releasing on Sunday. So no third-party company wants to bother either. Even a Wii U exclusive third party game, that Sonic Lost Worlds game, has online multiplayer on 3DS but not Wii U.

No online infastructure, no online support from Nintendo, no unified account structure. This system is a loving dinosaur.

This is so bizarre as for years Nintendo was pretty good at predicting what the market and developers would want. Not just with the Wii but with stuff like the controllers for the SNES, the Game Boy being cheap and simple, etc. You got some major flubs like cartridges with the N64 but I'm pretty shocked about the bad online support. I didn't care with the Gamecube because hey, the system has some incredible single player games on it and a lot of good multiplayer stuff. They took the Wii in a totally different direction which is fine, but again, this system is supposed to be an equivalent to the PS3 and 360 and it's not even there. I don't know if they were planning to re-release a new version like with the DS every few years that's exponentially better or if they were too cheap or impatient to launch this holiday instead of last year or whatever, but I just don't get it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 3, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

univbee posted:

Is there precedent for a single post-console-launch game single-handedly resulting in the sale of a million+ consoles that almost certainly wouldn't have happened without that game being released? The closest thing I can think of would be something like Street Fighter II way back on the Super NES...maybe Final Fantasy VII on the original PlayStation?

For post launch titles I think you named the only two. Maybe New Super Mario Bros. on the first Wii?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

thefncrow posted:

When you add the "that wouldn't have happened without that game being released" portion, it becomes shakier because of the incredible quality of what came after, but I'd say Grand Theft Auto 3 deserves a spot in that discussion. I can't tell you how many people I knew that decided they absolutely had to have a PS2 after seeing and playing GTA3.

GTA4 must be one too, weren't there articles about how the US economy straight up noticeably improved like 48 hours after it was released?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

zenintrude posted:

Do people like playing fighting games on portable systems? This seems strange to me, but I'm not a fighting fan.

Literally every kid that exists will want that game for their 3DS because it's one game that has Mario, Pikachu, etc. in it and every adult Nintendo Kid with a 3DS is going to want it because it has Mario, Mega Man and Link in it. The number of people who will decide to get it or not based on how well it controls or whatever is very very small (but vocal).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The_Frag_Man posted:

I seriously thought the 2ds was a joke at first. It took me a few minutes to accept that it wasn't a joke.
Jesus that thing is a terrible idea. The design is just so bad

I think it's pretty smart myself. It will be the stepping stone for getting Mario/Pokemon into the hands of young kids with parents worried about the 3D and the screen snapping off. It also is pretty clearly here to serve the same purpose as the GBA Micro against the PSP, it competed literally by taking up shelf space and conversation. It's one more thing for customers to think about that's made by Nintendo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snix posted:

So, if they do ever make another Metroid, they're going to retcon Other M, right, guys? :unsmith:

Nintendo in Japan basically disowned the Prime games and stopped acknowledging they exist a long time ago during the initial announcement leading up to Other M. The only thing left being the old Japanese sites for Prime 1 and later 2. Like if you looked at any "THE HISTORY OF METROID" or "THE NEW METROID GAME" advertising or marketing in Japan the Prime games are just not there even in the official time line they would display. Shame as I've never seen a reboot/drastic change in gameplay title so flawlessly own what a game series is about better than Metroid Prime. I dearly, truly love every game in the Metroid series except Other M (I even love Metroid Prime Pinball and Hunters), but when I think "Metroid" I immediately think "Super Metroid and Metroid Prime."

Also I'm talking about Metroid Prime so I have to post this, please kill me.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 31, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Pretty sure you mean Wind Waker HD, and even that's not gonna make a significant dent considering it's going to be a 60 dollar game.

I'm the biggest Wii U skeptic ever, but I'm actually very interested in how this one sells. The first Wii brought in so many new gamers compared to the Gamecube. And unlike Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, Wind Waker right now is ONLY on Gamecube. That exclusivity keeps the game priced at around $40 even on Amazon and many places stopped selling Gamecube games outright years ago. So while on the one hand $59.99 is pretty high for an HD port of a ten year old game, on the other hand this probably will be a completely new game for many people.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

OatmealRaisin posted:

The main issue with this is the gamers that the Wii brought in don't care about the WiiU. It's been one of the biggest failings of the console.

That's why I'm starting to feel it will do well though, any newcomers who to Wii who did get a Wii U will get it because it's a Zelda game they haven't played before. Nintendo die hards who got the Wii U are going to get it because it says Legend of Zelda on it. Seems like a pretty solid title to port.

Obviously this one game isn't a solution to Nintendo's many challenges with the Wii U but I think people are underestimating the kind of pull it will have.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Louisgod posted:

There won't be a turn around if Mario Kart isn't due until Spring. They desperately need it this year to work as a trifecta with Mario 3D World and Wind Waker similar to how the 3DS's resurgence was due to Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7 and Monster Hunter in Japan. Without it, the WiiU will be suffocated by the PS4/XBONE release.

This is interesting too. Nintendo used to always rule the January~May time period. They had embraced the spring AAA release instead of dropping their biggest games in Summer/Fall like many other publishers would do. It actually worked really well for the DS, which had a sort of shaky first holiday launch, with everyone's eyes on the PSP, but the following spring they launched Kirby Canvas Curse, WarioWare and Mario Kart at the same time and that was the end (and of course the summer after that the DS Lite releasing in the US with NSMB at the same time basically solidified the DS name forever).

It was at one time praised as brilliant because it kept their releases from being suffocated by Sony/Microsoft hype, but I think they're just adhering too close to formula as usual. Mario Kart Wii was also an April release and there's no way they're going to rush this new one out for the holidays. I was at a conference recently where Nintendo was showing off 3D World/etc. and Mario Kart wasn't even mentioned, even Bayonetta 2 was on display and playable but no Mario Kart.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't think they can knock the price down multiple times in a 3 month period but they could at least increase the value proposition and include both Wind Waker/Mario 3D World/whatever AND Nintendoland AND Wii remotes, because seriously how much wii remote stock must they still be sitting on at this point? Just give it away, it doesn't matter.

This was actually something very smart they did with the 3DS over the 2012 holiday. GameStop and other retailers had it so if you got either type of 3DS (even the ones with a game pre-installed) you got two more games with it for free. They were middling ones like Steel Diver and Nintendogs+Cats but the basic "YOU GET THREE GAMES WHEN YOU BUY A 3DS" gave it a massive boost over the holiday. They need to do something like that with any first party stuff that isn't selling every year like 3DS Layton or Wii U Ninja Gaiden 3 or whatever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Chaltab posted:

Clearly they do, even despite the trailers showing levels that weren't in 3D Land. I can't name how many times I heard people refer to New Super Mario Bros Wii as a remake of NSMB on the DS. I guess a lot of people were so mad that it wasn't Super Mario Galaxy 3 that they just assumed it was a remake of 3D Land and stopped paying attention? I don't know. I also hear people calling A Link Between Worlds a remake of ALTTP. I guess it's just that after three straight years of bad press for Nintendo, people just assume the worst?

I think it's because of how late Nintendo announces the full titles/details on their games with just vague titles before that. Like for the longest time A Link Between Worlds was just "Link to the Past 3DS" and so on.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sunning posted:

A few Japanese games have a strong European influence beyond their aesthetics. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together has a strong Eastern European influence, especially the war torn Balkans, in its character names, world design, and story. Valkyria Chronicles is clearly influenced by the Western front of both World Wars. For an American example, Smoking Car Productions in San Francisco, California made The Last Express which takes place in Orient Express during the eve of WWI. However, these games are few and far between.

Some other examples I can think of are Metroid Prime series, Killer is Dead, Brink and Destiny since the artists and writers for them clearly like Heavy Metal, Metabarons, Dylan Dog, etc. comics from Europe. That is if people are thinking in very general "what matches with the pop culture sensibilities" kind of way. Otherwise literally every AAA ever made this generation takes amateur thematic stab at both the Holocaust, the rise of Nazism and D-Day so I'm not really sure what people are talking about.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

greatn posted:

Maybe Nintendo could include a gun with the WiiU, and claim Microsoft and Sony don't believe in the second amendment. That'd surely get some sales.

All of that and the terminology Nintendo stuck with up to the Wii and GBA for their stuff (Control Deck, Game Pak, Zapper instead of lightgun, calling them "Entertainment System" and such, Robot Operating Buddy, etc.) were done so that they could actually sell the thing in stores as a toy instead of a "video game" because the crash had just happened and the only place any retailer was putting a "video game" of any kind was in a $4.99 bargain bin.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

As I said earlier, I think Nintendo is over-conservative in this regard when it comes to their mainline Mario games. They don't seem to want to risk doing something that will drive away people. They're less conservative in some (but not all) of their spinoff games but the mainline games they really appear desperate to keep the audience who absolutely does not want to play something new or unfamiliar.

I hate them for this because any time they take a game out of its generally expected structure and style it's universally appreciated and sells great (Link's Adventure, Yoshi's Island, Mario 64, Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, etc.) despite a vocal minority of folk angry about how they were "betrayed."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's definitely a different culture. When you look at the credits for the games you notice a lot of developers are at the extreme. They all either do the same job at the same company til they die, or they're literally all over the place. Like fighting game fans might prefer SNK or Capcom or vice versa but the same guy designed both Street Fighter and Art of Fighting and SNK published Capcom's first game (Vulgus). The monolithic Japanese companies of today, Capcom, Konami, Nintendo, and SquareEnix all drastically restructured themselves in different ways over the past ten years to try to adapt and become more flexible with varying degrees of success.

But all of that involved them moving away from the Call of Duty model of gaming so I doubt you'll ever see something like that come out of Japan. I mean the closest thing Japanese gaming ever really had to that where you expected a yearly release was stuff like Giant Gram/Fire Pro and King of Fighters. Even something as dependable as Pokemon isn't released with the level of consistency that Call of Duty is, though I believe, also that Nintendo doesn't do quite as much licensing and selling of information as say Microsoft/Activision do in their CoD developing relationship. So they have to prioritize their release schedule very differently to maximize how hyped up people are (Grand Theft Auto V, as an example, wouldn't be as big a deal as it is if it was the fourth or fifth GTA game on one system).

Nintendo's biggest challenge with the Wii U is that unlike with Pokemon, the games they've put out on it so far aren't designed to force young kids to talk to each other about how they're doing in the game in order to get better at the game. This is why Pokemon will always be relevant. They did a brilliant thing with the Mii games and plaza on the 3DS because it works the same way where if you get into it, you're regularly taking out your 3DS and people are noticing another person using a 3DS all the time, but the Wii U stays under your tv and none of Nintendo's first party games let you play with people online === no one's talking about the games.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 26, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

I wish they would go back to making a kof game every year.

...or making kof games at all. I'm not gonna hold out hope.

I'm almost glad they've stopped. KoF 13 has got to be one of the best fighting games of any kind ever made, I don't think they have the people there anymore to top it. Not even Capcom has talented fighting game designers anymore (though they did a great job of covering up that Street Fighter IV was made by the outside company DIMPs, makers of Rumble Fish/etc.).

Anyways I can understand gamers' frustration with Nintendo since they so mastered the handheld space, in that they mastered getting people to talk about their DS or have their DS out or be talking about Pokemon so that a handheld gaming item is "a Nintendo," they did it and own it. The good thing is that so few people are even aware the Wii U exists that they have an opportunity to sort of re-launch it this holiday and see what happens. It literally will be a repeat of the Wii also as it will be the last gen level "new" system going against Sony and Microsoft's new offerings. This is totally new territory for Nintendo which is exciting. Maybe like with the 3DS a price drop and more than one Mario game and a Zelda game being out at once will mean big sales, who knows.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Did they not patch this to be much smoother? I recall a goon who played it on all three systems saying it was almost identical.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LordAndrew posted:

The Wii U kiosk they have at the local Walmart here doesn't even have demos on it, it's just a bunch of preview videos.

This is really weird because they updated the GameStop ones a while ago to have several demos on them. I can kind of sort of understand having different demos for different stores but no demos at all is crazy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Crowbear posted:

Licensing wouldn't be a problem since Nintendo and Sega seem pretty chummy. The problem is that they would have to port Bayonetta to the Wii U from scratch and that costs time and money. It's probably not worth it for anyone involved.

It would have been way cheaper than a Bayonetta port and even then it still probably wasn't worth it for them.

Isn't Bayonetta 2 using the same engine as the original? Wouldn't it be relatively easy like how the Halo Anniversary release was done where they can drop the assets and level designs into the Wii U version of the engine? Not saying they should but it's a great game so any chance for more people to play it is a good thing.

It's only recently that this sort of thing is getting done with more recent games so I'm not really expecting it. I'm sure we'll see a new Metal Gear Rising before we see any new Bayonetta release after 2.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

I don't think Sony would allow them to sell console games on the PS4 and maintain their own brand of handhelds.

The way the Vita's going it's not like they have a lot to lose.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Across the past two pages there have been a lot of posts about the bad decisions that have gone into the Wii U from its specs to its 2013 holiday strategy being to target casual buyers and gift givers first and worrying about the core gamers later. The thing that is hurting Nintendo the most though is its price. With the previous generation we had Wii launched at $249.99, 360 at $399.99/299.99, and PS3 at $599.99. Think of the expectations Nintendo set by launching at $349.99/299.99. I really do think both Nintendo and Microsoft were completely blindsided by this E3.

Neither seemed prepared for the PS4 to be BOTH $399.99 AND actually be here two weeks before black Friday 2013 AND have such a small form factor (something Nintendo consistently tries for). Now unless it suddenly gets an SNES level of constant great first party stuff it's no longer cheap enough or good enough to be a second console. I mean 2K isn't even putting its sports games on it anymore, that's crazy. I know they have some great games in the pipe like Bayonetta 2 and such but I really do think they gotta pull a 3DS and cut the price even more to get people to buy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Isn't the PS4 twice the size of the WiiU?

Lessee... PS4: 275x53x305mm, 2.8 kg. WiiU 172x45x267mm, 1.6 kg. So the WiiU is half the size and 3/5 the weight.

To clarify I meant when compared to previous Sony systems on launch, though handling them both in person, PS4 is extremely sleek compared to the Wii U and pretty much any other system I've handled. I really do think this is important considering how people STILL go up to Wii U kiosks regularly and think that it's just the tablet itself or if they notice the system under the bracket that holds the tablet (why Nintendo) they just think it's a Wii. PS4's design makes it clear that it's different, remember the Wii U's E3 debut?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

That is the stupidest loving way to compare things.

Are you kidding this is incredible, Wii U is the best the facts are right there, it only takes ONE Wii U to reach the prim rate of like fourteen XBox Ones!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

With the exception of stuff like Pokemon and Dragon Quest doesn't most of the Nintendo stuff sell pretty slow there in general? Like launch isn't amazing but it has long legs sells that amount every week for some time? A lot of Wii titles in Japan were like this they'd be in the high teens in the top 20 charts but they'd sit there for half a year while everything else would come and go.

Aren't there way more than 100,000 Wii Us in Japanese homes right now? I'm curious to see how if it holds at this number for a few weeks.

http://bgr.com/2013/11/21/wii-u-sales-analysis/
This is a doom and gloom article but it mentions that in Japan Super Mario U is actually outselling 3D World. Is this site any good?

The only thing that's going to move Wii Us in the US at this point is a REALLY REALLY good totally new Zelda game. Or a NSMB that makes more drastic changes to the formula while still being 2D.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 27, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Crowbear posted:

I am totally baffled about what Japanese Wii U owners are even doing with their consoles. None of the software released in the last few months has sold well and now a fantastic new Mario game barely outsells noted semi niche game Pikmin 3? Are they literally just using them as doorstops or something?

e: The Wii is dead and buried. I would be SHOCKED if the Wii Mini had any major impact this holiday. If parents want a cheap gift for their kid they'll get a 2DS instead.

Any goons in Japan want to check out the used game shops? Maybe they were all sold off or traded in already?

And yeah no if people don't want to spend $299.99+ on a console in the US they're going to get a 3DS+Mario or one of the many 360/PS3 packages that are $249.99 and have multiple game packed in with them, not an original WIi.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

Keyvin help me out here: People who buy your console also buy your ____.

Live and PSN subsriptions? Outside of Call of Duty the answer sure as hell hasn't been games this year. :)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Louisgod posted:

If anything, they need to fire people since the staff they have on now are stuck on their old ways.

I was going to say, from all the stories we hear and about Nintendo being traditional and full of old Japanese guys they're probably being held back by executives that sit in an office and don't do anything but pull in $$$$ because they're old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Game delays are severe issues any time they happen. There is not a simple measurable "they lost this many sales" response but it generally is never good for the company and can turn games into jokes and injure the brand. That isn't to say Nintendo is entirely right to keep their cards close to the chest but "what's the harm in it?" is easily disprovable from the reaction every time a major delay is announced.

Pikmin 3 in particular hurt very badly. It's a very niche game, but if it was out in time for the launch then it still would have sold to all those early adopters ASAP just on hype and it being a game from Nintendo. With the delay fans are burned and don't pick up a Wii U right away, and by the time it came out no one not already a heavy Nintendo fan was going to pick it up.

Watch Dogs delay didn't surprise me after Splinter Cell tanked and AC4 didn't do so hot, I actually wouldn't even be surprised if PS3/360 Watch Dogs were canned depending on console sales over the rest of the holiday. Companies needed to know yesterday what system they want to focus their AAA budgets on and the writing's been on the wall all year that people are bored with the PS3/360.

On top of that I honestly don't think anyone, even Sony in general, expected the PS4 to launch on 11/15/13, assuming a spring 2014 or even holiday 2014 release. This generation going on so long put the industry in an new position where people were getting bored of same engine sequel #43 and Nintendo probably figured they'd have the entire year of 2013 free to relax and have the system that's cheaper than the competition, plays Mario games, and also has Call of Duty/etc. covered. Then the 360 got that drop to $250 and Sony suddenly has the PS4 coming out at $399.99. You can tell Microsoft was equally blindsided and Sony, intelligently, offset their own lack of games for PS4 by heavily hyping up and securing lots of indie titles.

• Locked thread