Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I would really like to get a Wii U, since I skipped the Wii, but I don't want to run the risk of getting one and having it die out in two years, which is a danger the Vita is running right now. I'd hoped to get a Wii U for the summer, since the summer has few good releases traditionally, but there's not enough good games to really pull me away from my PS3.

I know there's some good titles coming down the pipeline, but they're mostly first-person titles or ports, and the original content for the console has been limited to...what, ZombiU and Lego City? And Lego City looks like poo poo. So, that's why I don't own one yet.

Also, the loving system costs more than the 39 inch 1080p HDTV I'd bought to play it on anyway. Give me a decent bundle pack, $50-$100 price cut, and show me some Capcom, Sega and Namco support, and maybe we'll have something sizzling. I love Nintendo, but the Wii U just doesn't have enough to justify its fat price, or if it does, it has not been communicated to me much. Hell, the Wii U barely gets advertising anymore, and I almost exclusively watch youtube channels that are flush with game ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
There is a big problem with the Wii U's place in the current console market--it being once again the under-powered performer, reliant on some gimmick to diffientiate it from Sony and Microsoft. This worked really really well with the Wii, but sort of fizzled with the 3DS. They did a price-drop on that and a big marketing push with a string of strong releases, like Fire Emblem, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion, and Monster Hunter and the system seems to have bounced back, or is in the process. Who isn't to say the same won't happen here?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Louisgod posted:

Good discussion so far but before it gets there (and it will), let's avoid saying Nintendo should go third party or start making games for other platforms, because they never will.

At the risk of sparking the ire of god, how can we be sure of that?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
So it seems like a lot of this debate boils down to "consoles are dying out". This can't be entirely true, but if this is the key issue, then maybe we should discuss potential solutions? Why are consoles dying out and what can they do to save themselves? Where is the future of gaming going?

• Locked thread