Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol

https://i.imgur.com/6jBqIQZ.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

That is the most pathetic little “ehh”

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Abby! :kimchi:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I love Abby already! So cute!

Lola isn't at all that subtle. She aggressively boops us until we give more scratches. We met a Galgo and a Lurcher yesterday and she gets along super well with other sighthounds, so it's nice that there are some around.

Lola was interested in my Mom's art

... but only for a short while

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Abby was actionjackson's previous grey :unsmith:

Meanwhile TODD is helping redecorate again

Does anyone know of shredding toys made for dogs? I suppose I could just give him rolls of newspaper or some but he really seems to enjoy shredding paper products

Your ears are stupid

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Maybe just get some tissue paper decorations or something?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I was watching curb and uh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Happy 1st Gotcha Day Anniversary Katie! :toot: :burger:

I really, really wish it was under happier circumstances. I am at my parents house taking care of my elderly father and their dog Lucy while my mom is in the hospital. She’s been in since Friday. It’s most likely pancreatic cancer (what else would a 3cm mass on her pancreas be), but we won’t get the official diagnosis until the pathology comes back Monday or Tuesday. So far we’ve gotten some good news back about some stuff, for what it’s worth.

This is without a doubt the worst thing that has ever happened to me. I am an only child with the only other relatives on a different continent, so it’s all incredibly overwhelming. I would love to say that Katie’s only been helpful, but honestly the grey, cold weather makes her constantly freeze up on walks which I can barely deal with now. I didn’t have the heart to have her stay with somebody else this week though. Last night she put her head in my lap while she was snoozing on the couch next to me, at least.

I’m trying to take things a day at a time. Hopefully my mom can come from the hospital later this week.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that! Hopefully the situation doesn't end up being as bad as it may seem, right now. :(

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
My older sister has pancreatic cancer, you have my condolences and sympathies

FWIW they've been treating hers aggressively and while the prognosis is not good she's still doing alright a year later. Treatment has come a long way from 2007 when a coworker went from working to emaciated husk in six months

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah, the immediate goal is to survive day by day until my mom comes home, then we can start making long term plans. It’s unsustainable for me to take care of my dad. I’ll be at here at least a week.

This is a lot to drop on a bunch of internet strangers connected by their shared love of weird longdogs but I’m pretty sure sharing this stuff is healthier than not.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Anyway, can I take a moment of pride for that last photo? I think it’s pretty great

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

david_a posted:

Anyway, can I take a moment of pride for that last photo? I think it’s pretty great

It's an amazing photo, thank you for sharing it.

Please take care of yourself, be as gentle as you can be.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, it's a pretty good action pic! :D And yeah, take it easy over there - I really hope it all improves soon. We're here for ya, either way

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

very sorry to hear that! that is a very nice pic at the end.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I am so sorry to hear about your mum, but I am glad you are all there with each other and I’m sure your love means a lot to her.

I can understand how a stubborn doggo can be hard to deal with on top of everything else. I’ll suggest maybe a snuffle mat might be something to try. I make my own but you can buy them online too, just get a really plush and deep looking one from Etsy or someplace and not the mass produced looking ones on Amazon, those ones won’t have enough … complexity? Anyway, when I stopped being able to take Josie on walks a lot of the time (because of her nails), a good foraging session with her big snuffle mat actually tired her out a good bit and scratched that itch of her wanting something to do. Maybe Katie would be satisfied swapping a walk for a snuffle sometimes?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Sorry to hear about your mom. Don't give up hope until you get the pathology on this. It can be other things as well, and the biopsy is really the only thing that can give a definite diagnosis.

Also that last picture is glorious. Gave me a good laugh. :unsmith:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

david_a posted:

Yeah, the immediate goal is to survive day by day until my mom comes home, then we can start making long term plans. It’s unsustainable for me to take care of my dad. I’ll be at here at least a week.

This is a lot to drop on a bunch of internet strangers connected by their shared love of weird longdogs but I’m pretty sure sharing this stuff is healthier than not.

I'm sorry about your mom, David_a. I'm in exactly the same situation re: only child with aging parents, so your story hit hard.

Also, all Katie photos are great, not just the last one. :colbert: But yeah, I second the idea of putting walks on the back-burner until stuff settles down. Do your parents have a yard or something where she can at least do zoomies?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
We have the goat pasture that I’ve posted several videos of Katie zooming around in, but we have to walk to it and she’s started freezing by my car. Once we get in there she might do a single lap but I think the cold takes the joy out of it for her. She’s also started obsessively eating their poo which is just fantastic.

Lucy has a lot more energy she needs to get out and has loved running around in there (I refuse to let her off leash because she has a tendency to roam and I don’t need that right now). Yesterday was especially horrible because I tried walking up to the road a bit, which is full of irresistible smells and driveways.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

what interval are you guys doing between feedings? for whatever reason bailey likes to eat super early, but it seems to be working out fine, and she never communicates that she needs food late at night or something. so it's like 7:30 am and 1:30 pm. obviously with abby it was 8.5 hours because she had to wait until I got home from work, but now I'm WFH 100%

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

We feed after walk, so between 8:30 and 10:00 depending on the length of the walk, and then at 16:30. I think they'd die (not really) if they had their last meal at lunchtime

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Radiation Cow posted:

We feed after walk, so between 8:30 and 10:00 depending on the length of the walk, and then at 16:30. I think they'd die (not really) if they had their last meal at lunchtime

I'm wondering if Bailey had some schedule like eating at 5 am on the farm, she is pretty much voracious when I wake her up (or more likely she wakes me up by bringing multiple toys into the room until I get up, a little bit before my alarm goes off at 7:30)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie ends up eating around 8:00 and 17:00, with more variance on the breakfast. She’ll start to let me know 30-60 minutes before dinner that I better not be late

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Rory, a Very Bad Dog, has been in the habit of wanting “lunch” at 2 PM and “dinner” at midnight. This wasn’t helped by the fact that her cat brother Rocky (who was on a medication schedule) also wanted to be fed at those times. Rocky sadly passed away a month ago so I’ve been retraining Roo to eat at half-sane hours: 9 PM and 7 AM. So far, so good!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Josie gets breakfast between 7 and 8am. I used to feed her dinner around 6 or 7 pm to try and have equal time between foods, but the past 6 months or so she has really wanted dinner from 4:30. So now I’ll feed her between 5 and 6. If she’s getting hungry by 4 I’ll give her some kind of healthy snack like fruit or high quality treats to hold her til dinner, haha. She doesn’t seem to wake up any more hungry than she used to.

I put garbage in my own gullet at any time of day I feel like, obvs

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'll probably start pushing back dinner a bit in 30 min increments

she just totally gives me the business tho, and I give her a treat at 11:30 am

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

actionjackson posted:

she just totally gives me the business tho, and I give her a treat at 11:30 am

hahaha yeah that's a good way of putting it! :D Opal used to be much the same - always pushing for an earlier meal. (Thankfully though, once she realised I wouldn't cave, she quickly fell into step with Taz and followed his lead. So I'll typically feed them around 7:30-8:30am, then generally again at 6:00-7:00pm)

EDIT: Oh yeah, some news from me! I recently got a dog door insert for one of my sliding doors. (I have two leading to my courtyard. They're not regular ones though, which isn't helpful - they're double sliding doors, like a French patio door) Opal figured it out immediately, so now she shows off by going in and out all the time, happy as can be. Especially around meal time, when she wants to be by the food bowl stand, but also wants to be inside in the kitchen, by me preparing the food haha

Tazo though, took a few days to get confident with it though. At first I needed to pull the flap open for him a tiny bit, to create a 'crack' which he'd then poke his nose through, to enter. Eventually he started doing the same thing I did with his paw, which was amusing to watch. He'd just go up close to it, stick his paw through a corner and then just surge through, before the gap closes and cuts him in two!! :D But the last couple of days he's mastered it and uses his nose to push through.

It's good to see him now - he's just so happy and confident with himself, now that he's mastered it. He can come and go whenever he pleases (both at night and during the days when nobody is home, which was the reason I've always wanted the dog door) and he's loving life even more now. Interestingly though, he doesn't try to abuse it like at meal time, unlike Opal. He'll just try to be his usual well-meaning self and sit on his bed outside, waiting patiently while Opal makes a fool of herself

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 24, 2022

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

lmao I can't even fathom mine figuring out something as complex as a door flap, it's been eight years and she still treats stairs and doorways and even the floor in one room being one slightly different texture than the one she came from with extreme trepidation

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

pastor of muppets posted:

lmao I can't even fathom mine figuring out something as complex as a door flap, it's been eight years and she still treats stairs and doorways and even the floor in one room being one slightly different texture than the one she came from with extreme trepidation

Oh yeah, Taz is eight too, and if he didn't have Opal to pave the way, I'm certain he'd be struggling with it still! :D I mean, it took him many months to figure out the stairs at my house, after we moved. (And that's because they're covered in carpet - I'm pretty sure if they weren't, he'd never figure them out due to being too slippery, etc.)
It's good though. He's just so proud with himself now, when he comes and goes on his own! :3:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Haha that’s a good point. I think Rory would probably be a lot more confident about that kind of stuff if she’d been placed in a home with other dogs.

e:

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 25, 2022

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Tazo was looking awfully nonchalant earlier...makes me think he's done something, but I haven't found out yet. And when I do, he's hoping I won't think to pin it on HIM! :D

Also, here's a couple of snoot-licks for good measure. It's almost as though he's scenting the air, like a wily snake...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

That dog has never done anything wrong in his entire life.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
This is clearly projection. What have you done that you're so nervous about being uncovered? :thunk: That sweet, innocent, extralong angel is being unfairly maligned.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I think you need to give him apology treats for judging him so harshly.

Also, is it just the light or are his shoulders and legs also going grey?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

73% of the :D emote usage on the entire forums is from isoor

I'm more convinced than ever that the frantic grabbing a toy, picking it up, then grabbing another several times in a row is more of an anxiety thing for Bailey. It only happens in the morning, when she wakes up and obviously wants to eat and go out. Once that's done, she just chills the rest of the day. Also she's only getting trazodone once a day at 8 am, and it works for 12 hours. I'm planning to cut the dosage in half once we are out of the rear end end of winter here

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
You can go on in, Dr Taz will see you now

quote:

“You made too much roast beef, you say. And now you’re feeling tremendous guilt that it won’t fit in your freezer, and you can’t eat it all before it goes bad. Yes, I can see the predicament…”

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

That dog has never done anything wrong in his entire life.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Rory’s “upstairs” bed in our room is right next to the radiator and nothing short of the house exploding could convince her to leave this spot during the dead of winter

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Sabo is doing great, tons of energy and a constant headache, but he's so great when he's not having a time. He's also socializing really well with other dogs, took him to the dog park last week for the first time, muzzled just in case, and he started a bit growly but then learned some manners and did really well and completely wore himself out. Met another half greyhound one month older than him just a few blocks away, and gonna set up some play sessions.

On another note, it's been a year since I had to say goodbye to Remy, occasionally still hits me really hard. He was such an amazing dog. Gonna just leave a ton of pictures here.

(few more here: https://imgur.com/a/F6CzqlX)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

great pictures! the one where he's low in the grass really cracks me up. and I know those feelings, feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it at all

here is Bailey today, also with the paws crossed :p

Only registered members can see post attachments!