Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

post cute hound dogs while you can!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

What's stopping you from doing it right here, right now? :colbert:

I am lazy and the extra step of uploading to imgur is almost insurmountable. However, since I'm here:

Apologies for the fat butt human but it's such a great photo.

We're taking our first walk on the beach with both dogs on Saturday, really looking forward to that!

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Wow it’s beautiful out there and those are two gorgeous dogs!

Abby’s early afternoon update is that she picked a toy out of her toy box just to cuddle it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Looks like everything might work out, for SA! Lowtax is on his way out and there's been a sudden surge in 'hound photos! :D

In celebration, here's Tazo pulling his best Mr Burns impression

I also forgot to say - the other day I took Taz out for a walk in light rain (since it was either 'walk in the rain, or no walk at all', sadly) and he remembered his raincoat from last year! He was happy to get it on, since he knew it would mean he could get out and have a walk

Also, here's a cheeky wink he gave me this morning, for good measure.
I'm not sure what the reason behind it was, but I'm sure I'll find a poo on the floor or a drool-soaked toy in my bed, come night. :v:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 26, 2020

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

I also forgot to say - the other day I took Taz out for a walk in light rain (since it was either 'walk in the rain, or no walk at all', sadly) and he remembered his raincoat from last year! He was happy to get it on, since he knew it would mean he could get out and have a walk

I absolutely love Tazo in this raincoat. :kimchi:

Also, this is the best page of the thread in a long time. So many, many amazing doggos.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bonnie refuses to acknowledge her cancer and is still goofing around and running in the park like a idiot. Here she is mid-sproing. Her little tongue lolling out her mouth is really cute to me

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

Bonnie refuses to acknowledge her cancer and is still goofing around and running in the park like a idiot. Here she is mid-sproing. Her little tongue lolling out her mouth is really cute to me

:same:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Watson (formerly known as Luke, we've decided) is settling in pretty well. We've got him to down outside of the crate on command! Had some serious squirrel anger on our morning walk, and he snarled at a dog inside the dog park fence when we walked by to see if he'd be interested. He's also mastered the stairs all on his own after we let him explore on his own.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Hello long dog people

I’m taking a realistic look to see if I would be a good fit for one of these delightful creatures. I’ve never gotten a pet since I felt it wouldn’t be fair to them if I couldn’t be the perfect owner, but this whole pandemic thing is causing me to reconsider. I’m reading Cynthia Branigan’s book (required reading for my local adaptation service) and I’ve watched a lot of YouTube videos over the years (the Magnus videos are pretty good).

Can a greyhound be happy if you’re away at work for 9 hours on weekdays? Would they need a monster walk before I left? Getting a dog walker for the middle of the day is a possibility I would have to look into; there are also some “doggie daycare” places nearby but I’m not sure how a greyhound would like those.

Are they OK with traveling? I go to my parents for the weekend (2.5 hour car ride) every 1-2 months and they have a dog.

In my current working from home state I think I could do a good job taking care of one, but I really worry about when things go back to “normal.”

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I live alone and left Abby at home when I was at work and she was fine. You do want to give them time for a couple pees and poops in the morning.

I'll also say that as they get older, they may find waiting that long more difficult and you may end up needing to get a pad like I did just in case.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost
9 hours is long, but doable if they're healthy. If it's not a burden a mid-day walk would be ideal though. Greys are well-suited to being on their own otherwise, they like lots of naps

We leave Sparty for 9 hours or longer on occasion, but when we first got him he had worms and could barely make it 3 before peeing everywhere. Occasionally he'll get an upset tummy and have pee problems again.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Unfortunately my dog has a total meltdown if you leave her alone for more than ten minutes. It's something I still don't know how to deal with. I'm very lucky to have been in a situation where I can either bring her with me to work, or work from home, for the last three years. It does feel really stupid sometimes, I am basically chained to her and any kind of plan, even as simple as going to the grocery store, requires me to make some kind of arrangement. Let alone going to the dentist or a GP or something.

She has done better at my sister's house who has a couple of dogs that she likes, but I'm worried that getting a second dog will just double my problems. I love Abby to death, she's my best friend, but wow she has made my life much harder. I have tried a lot of alone training stuff, but I get discouraged quickly because she gets really stressed when we do it and it doesn't seem to improve. Sorry to be a downer, I try not to think about it most of the time but when it starts coming out I can't stop!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

a slime posted:

Unfortunately my dog has a total meltdown if you leave her alone for more than ten minutes. It's something I still don't know how to deal with. I'm very lucky to have been in a situation where I can either bring her with me to work, or work from home, for the last three years. It does feel really stupid sometimes, I am basically chained to her and any kind of plan, even as simple as going to the grocery store, requires me to make some kind of arrangement. Let alone going to the dentist or a GP or something.

She has done better at my sister's house who has a couple of dogs that she likes, but I'm worried that getting a second dog will just double my problems. I love Abby to death, she's my best friend, but wow she has made my life much harder. I have tried a lot of alone training stuff, but I get discouraged quickly because she gets really stressed when we do it and it doesn't seem to improve. Sorry to be a downer, I try not to think about it most of the time but when it starts coming out I can't stop!

Did you adopt Abby straight from the track or was she fostered? That seems like something the foster parents should note and let any prospective adopters know about.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

david_a posted:

Did you adopt Abby straight from the track or was she fostered? That seems like something the foster parents should note and let any prospective adopters know about.

She was in a foster for a month, but they had five greyhounds there so the issue probably didn't surface.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

a slime posted:

She was in a foster for a month, but they had five greyhounds there so the issue probably didn't surface.

What I'm hearing is adopt five greyhounds

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Blem.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

a slime posted:

As the owner of a really, really nervous dog, my advice would be to stick with any training, even if you feel really mean doing it. We had to do a lot of work with Gello to get her comfortable around other dogs, people, and life in general. There were weeks in the beginning where she'd refuse to come out of the house to pee.

We followed a rigorous desensitization course that involved a lot of standing around busy areas, even while she was really unhappy being there. I felt awful, seeing her with her tail between her legs and just wanting to go home, and we also had weeks that felt like no progress.

But, if you stick with it you'll start to get a feel for when she's (barely) coping and when she's not, and you can work within her tolerance level and push her boundaries. It's tough, you'll feel awful but it can definitely improve both her and your quality of life.

StrixNebulosa posted:

What I'm hearing is adopt five greyhounds

Or this. :hmmyes:

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Jake was diagnosed with osteosarcoma (aka bone cancer) today. There isn’t a lot we can do to treat it, amputation brings a lot of pain and trauma and often only marginally extends the prognosis. and with his other leg already full of metal from his break a few years back, it would make his mobility very challenging. The vet recommended against chemo or radiation. They sent us home with pain meds and told us to keep him comfortable.

It’s just not fair. He’s done so much good. He’s donated blood. He’s collected donations for the adoption group. He did so well at collecting that they specifically request us to bring him back for each event because so many people love on him and he collects more than the other dogs.

He helped Mrs. Beekeeper get through a very trying time in her life when her anxiety was at its worst. He became her rock and was always there to provide affection when she needed it.

Once we hosted a friends baby shower party at our house. A guest arrived who was absolutely terrified of dogs. This lady just stood at our front gate paralyzed with fear while Jake and Barley watched her from the other side. By the end of the party, Jake was leaning up against her and she was happily petting and hugging him. He really knows how to dish out affection.

He was a decent racer with 183 runs, and I think 17 wins. His trainers took great care of him and recognized him the last time we met up.

Jake is 10 years old, he will be 11 in July.

I’m sorry for the downer post. I know our group here is great at supporting each other through things like this. I’d like to share some of my favorite photos of Jake. I apologize if some of these are repeats from earlier in the thread.

Collecting donations while watching the horse races:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Oh no!!! I'm so sorry to hear about Jake!!!!

He sounds like an absolutely lovely dog and I'm sure you will continue to do what is best for him. Just enjoy the time you have left as much as you can.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

2020 can go suck a dick. Jake sounds amazing and like he was a great representative of greyhounds everywhere. I'm sure you've given him the best life possible and will continue to do so until his time comes.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’m so sorry to hear about Jake, he seems like an amazing dog

Also please don’t apologise for downer posts, this thread is an amazing hugbox for tough doggo times and you should take advantage of it

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Radiation Cow posted:

2020 can go suck a dick. Jake sounds amazing and like he was a great representative of greyhounds everywhere. I'm sure you've given him the best life possible and will continue to do so until his time comes.
Tha

[quote="actionjackson" post="506085656"]
Oh no!!! I'm so sorry to hear about Jake!!!!

He sounds like an absolutely lovely dog and I'm sure you will continue to do what is best for him. Just enjoy the time you have left as much as you can.

Thanks guys. We are definitely going to give him as much care as possible and spoil the poo poo out of him. I’m already planning to go get him cheeseburgers later.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

I’m so sorry to hear about Jake, he seems like an amazing dog

Also please don’t apologise for downer posts, this thread is an amazing hugbox for tough doggo times and you should take advantage of it

Please keep sharing Jake stories, it helps you and it helps us get more long dogs stories

It's unfair and bullshit that such a good boy gets a diagnosis like that, but whatever you do I'm sure it will be the right thing for Jake

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

DarkHorse posted:

Please keep sharing Jake stories, it helps you and it helps us get more long dogs stories

It's unfair and bullshit that such a good boy gets a diagnosis like that, but whatever you do I'm sure it will be the right thing for Jake

Yeah, Mrs. Beekeeper and I started a shared iOS note where we share our favorite stories and moments with him. We’ve been attaching photos to it too. I’ll copy a few over to here as I work through this. Here is one:

When Jake was younger we took him to the Petsmart obedience training. There was only one other “student” in the class, who was also a greyhound, named Jethro. They got along great. Here is Jake’s graduation photo :3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hahaha that's such a great picture

you're better than I am, I didn't do any formal training with Abby. Just "no," "off" and also she stays out of the bathroom.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Yeah, Mrs. Beekeeper and I started a shared iOS note where we share our favorite stories and moments with him. We’ve been attaching photos to it too. I’ll copy a few over to here as I work through this. Here is one:

When Jake was younger we took him to the Petsmart obedience training. There was only one other “student” in the class, who was also a greyhound, named Jethro. They got along great. Here is Jake’s graduation photo :3:

He's so proud of himself! :kimchi: How did he respond to training?

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Radiation Cow posted:

He's so proud of himself! :kimchi: How did he respond to training?

We had to cut out large chunks of the training because neither greyhound in the class could physically sit :) but otherwise it was good. He learned to lay down on command which only works with a dog bed and a treat, but hey it’s something. He also learned “paw” and “touch” tricks to get treats. The class also taught some leash manners but we quickly forgot all that and just let him sniff and pee on whatever during his walks.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

beekeeper and jesus wep, feel free to PM me if you want to chat some more about your greyhounds and what you are going through. happy to talk or just listen.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Jake is an attention whore and if you don’t give him enough, he will lay his head on you. I’ve been working from home for a while due to covid so this is a regular occurrence, sometimes multiple times per hour:

:gbsmith:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Jake is an attention whore and if you don’t give him enough, he will lay his head on you. I’ve been working from home for a while due to covid so this is a regular occurrence, sometimes multiple times per hour:

:gbsmith:

What a good attention hound

I'm sorry about the whole situation, just try to focus on as many good memories new and old. And keep sharing stories! :unsmith:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Do greyhounds universally wake up at ~6 or can you train them to sleep in a bit?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bonnie barely wants to go out for a pee let alone do anything else much before 9

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Our bestest boy has developed a limp, and I'm worried he sprained a toe. He had a check up scheduled at the vet the other day but the vet didn't seem too concerned. Looking for a goon doctor 2nd opinion.

It's been a few days now and he's still limping and now the toe looks a little swollen.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

david_a posted:

Do greyhounds universally wake up at ~6 or can you train them to sleep in a bit?

Taz will happily sleep in VERY late. Like, 11am or so even, on some Saturday mornings. He'll let me know if he needs to go out, but otherwise he's pretty relaxed with me sleeping in on weekends.

He used to get confused earlier in the day though, since normally I'm up quite early, but nowadays I he associates sleep-ins with having me at home (and therefore allowing him to stay inside all day) and longer walks, so he's happy to delay breakfast, in exchange! :D

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby got me up at 6 am the first weekend I had her but she changed her tune pretty quickly to adapt

As to the nail picture, she's gotten that as well where it's at a weird angle. It just popped back into place, but the vet said don't worry about it unless she was showing signs of discomfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
How do you guys safely transport a greyhound during longer drives? Shove a crate in the backseat?