Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

david_a posted:

How do you guys safely transport a greyhound during longer drives? Shove a crate in the backseat?

What do you mean by a 'longer drive'? A few hours, or more like a day+? I've taken Taz on some long drives before, but no overnighters at this stage.
Either way, I just make sure he's had time to do his business outside, then I let him into the back of my hatch (seats down, blanket over the seats) and hook up his lead+harness. He's quite comfortable and would happily lounge around like that all day and night, given the opportunity.
Not sure what kind of car you've got, though. Seeing as mine's a hatchback, Taz has loads of room to manoeuvre and spread out in - I guess it might be more restrictive if you drive a sedan, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Major Isoor posted:

What do you mean by a 'longer drive'? A few hours, or more like a day+? I've taken Taz on some long drives before, but no overnighters at this stage.
Either way, I just make sure he's had time to do his business outside, then I let him into the back of my hatch (seats down, blanket over the seats) and hook up his lead+harness. He's quite comfortable and would happily lounge around like that all day and night, given the opportunity.
Not sure what kind of car you've got, though. Seeing as mine's a hatchback, Taz has loads of room to manoeuvre and spread out in - I guess it might be more restrictive if you drive a sedan, though?

2.5-3 hours. I currently have a hatchback but I’ve been considering getting a new car for a while, which will probably not be another hatch. I’m mainly worried about safety in an accident; no one wants a greyhound flying through the windshield.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I think having a harness clipped into a seatbelt is the main consideration, we have an adapter but you would probably just fashion something secure enough with a leash

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have a harness attached to a strap, and that strap is attached the metal child seat thing by the headrest

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
So Watson's foot looked like this when he woke up this morning:

So we're at the vet again. He's getting an xray, I almost hope it's a fracture or something so we know conclusively what's wrong.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, hopefully Watson is OK!

david_a posted:

2.5-3 hours. I currently have a hatchback but I’ve been considering getting a new car for a while, which will probably not be another hatch. I’m mainly worried about safety in an accident; no one wants a greyhound flying through the windshield.

Ah, fair enough then. I'm the same as jesus WEP - I have a seatbelt adapter for Taz's lead/harness which I hook him up to. They're pretty cheap, and they're all you'll need, really.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

david_a posted:

How do you guys safely transport a greyhound during longer drives? Shove a crate in the backseat?

I drive a compact car. The dog went 8 hours in a car from our place to the in laws place.

We had about 3-4 stops along the way for gas, poopin, and a bit of a walk.

We had a seat cover for the back seat, with a harness and he was clipped in to a seatbelt. He got comfortable and just chilled out in the back seat.

To be fair, my boy is the bestest boy, so your results may vary.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 5, 2022

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

david_a posted:

Do greyhounds universally wake up at ~6 or can you train them to sleep in a bit?

They get very set into a routine, but you can change the routine as long as you are consistent about it. If you're getting them up early six days a week don't expect to sleep very late on Sundays. Gannon's been consistently sleeping in past noon with me while we're on quarantine hours but he's also been getting his "evening" walks around 4 am before I crash for the night.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Drewjitsu posted:

I drive a Mazda 3. Rush went 8 hours in a car from our place to the in laws place.

We had about 3-4 stops along the way for gas, poopin, and a bit of a walk.

We had a seat cover for the back seat, with a harness and he was clipped in to a seatbelt. He got comfortable and just chilled out in the back seat.

To be fair, Rush is the bestest boy, so your results may vary.

Bonus: it was rainy out. Rush was prepared, because his grandma loves him very much (by making him a faux-didas coat!)

Oh my god this is adorable

I love the stripes and the hoodie strings :kimchi:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol that's awesome

btw I don't think you are supposed to attach the strap to a seatbelt - you should attach it to that metal thing that you attach a child seat to. It doesn't move.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

lol that's awesome

btw I don't think you are supposed to attach the strap to a seatbelt - you should attach it to that metal thing that you attach a child seat to. It doesn't move.

It should make little difference. The metal hook will me stiffer and more rigid, but a seat belt will lock up just as hard if it's yanked. The biggest risk is if it's not hooked up properly - you'll need a shorter lead since the seatbelt will take up some the maximum slack you should have

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

It should make little difference. The metal hook will me stiffer and more rigid, but a seat belt will lock up just as hard if it's yanked. The biggest risk is if it's not hooked up properly - you'll need a shorter lead since the seatbelt will take up some the maximum slack you should have

I guess it's just based on my experience using the metal hook when I've had to brake suddenly. I got the strap from some company in Colorado (Aurora? I can't seem to find it online though) and I was glad that there was no wiggle room beyond the length of the strap. But Abby also likes to stand up in the back. I think a strap that was a bit shorter would be ideal (this one is like 1.5 feet). Also because of how weird greyhound dimensions are, for the harness I have it on the maximum height for the deep chest, and the minimum for their underbelly. Which does okay, but it still isn't ideal.

Are you guys using something that was specifically defined for weird greyhound dimensions?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

I guess it's just based on my experience using the metal hook when I've had to brake suddenly. I got the strap from some company in Colorado (Aurora? I can't seem to find it online though) and I was glad that there was no wiggle room beyond the length of the strap. But Abby also likes to stand up in the back. I think a strap that was a bit shorter would be ideal (this one is like 1.5 feet). Also because of how weird greyhound dimensions are, for the harness I have it on the maximum height for the deep chest, and the minimum for their underbelly. Which does okay, but it still isn't ideal.

Are you guys using something that was specifically defined for weird greyhound dimensions?

If it's tensioned properly the seatbelt will lock up in half an inch so it shouldn't be too different, with the bonus that they can have more freedom of movement when they're just moving around

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

If it's tensioned properly the seatbelt will lock up in half an inch so it shouldn't be too different, with the bonus that they can have more freedom of movement when they're just moving around

yeah Abby is able to move around a decent amount with my setup and also lie down flat if she really gets tired.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I used the Kurgo Tru-Fit harness for the trip:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LNJ92D8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We did notice that it chafed Rush a bit, so we now use the Ruffware Flagline, although it doesn't quite fit as well in the front (I should have gotten a medium instead of a large, dammit!) - it bunches a bit on his chest, but the straps are placed farther back on his body, so no chafing that we've see so far.
(https://ruffwear.com/collections/dog-harnesses/products/dog-harness-flagline)

Having a handle on his harness ain't the worst thing either when we are at the dog park and off leash.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 1, 2020

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Hugs and love to all the greyhound family out there. This group is amazing, these long dogs are awesome and I am so thankful for it. I am very sorry to hear about Jake and Abby but I know they are good dogs who will enjoy the rest of whatever time they have left being spoiled.

Re: Bathroom 9 hours. When we were both working outside the home we had a dog walker one. Reese never really gout out of the habit from the track of going 4 times per day around every 6 hours. We were fortunate to be able to afford it though.

Re: transporting long dogs. We both have SUV’s which has been great for hauling him around. On longer trips we put a bed and water dish strapped down back there for him and distract him for the first hour or so with a pizzle. Only do that on a day where it’s nice enough for windows though, speaking from experience. He is a prince though and won’t jump up in, so Tortolia lifts him all 75lbs. On a related note, a couple years ago we volunteered with the local rescue to go pick up dogs that were coming for adoption from the Wheeling track. The lady at the track drives them half way and then we got to drive them the rest of the way to their new families. We see the lady pull in, she is in a minivan. She gets out and one by one extracts like 4 tiny greyhound ladies, it was like a clown car full of awesome.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I remember reading this thread when it first started. I then forgot about it, but I got a greyhound in the meantime! His name is Ozzy

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ozzy seems like an excellent dog

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

Ozzy seems like an excellent dog

:bisonyes:

More longdogs for the noodle throne

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yikes! posted:

I remember reading this thread when it first started. I then forgot about it, but I got a greyhound in the meantime! His name is Ozzy

very cute! he looks quite old - what's his age? did he have a previous owner?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

yikes! posted:

As an Ozzy of sorts myself, I can indeed confirm that you have a great noodle-horse on your hands, there!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

I just did a double-take because I have that same trim, blinds, floor, wall color, file cabinet, and dog bed :staredog:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Thanks friends!

actionjackson posted:

very cute! he looks quite old - what's his age? did he have a previous owner?

He is almost 10. I got him when he was 5. He raced and then lived on a farm or something, and had been in foster for ~4 months when I got him.

DarkHorse posted:

I just did a double-take because I have that same trim, blinds, floor, wall color, file cabinet, and dog bed :staredog:

lmao you have great taste

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

yikes! posted:

Thanks friends!

He is almost 10. I got him when he was 5. He raced and then lived on a farm or something, and had been in foster for ~4 months when I got him.

This means that you have five years' worth of photos to share with us, right?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Radiation Cow posted:

This means that you have five years' worth of photos to share with us, right?

Oh yeah, good point! You've got 'em all lined up for us yikes, right? ....right? :D

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Greyhounds have such a powerful look of disdain

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Breakfast was late?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I watched some videos of greyhounds effortlessly bounding over tall fences and it kinda freaked me out. There’s a nice 3-acre dog park close to me that I was hoping to take a prospective greyhound to; it even has separate areas for small and large dogs. The problem is that it has 4 foot fences... It’s also between a road and a forested area, so I feel like the likelihood of a squirrel appearing just outside the park is high and I’m having horrible visions of worst case scenarios.

Where do you let your hounds run free outside of a backyards with massive fences, which isn’t an option for me right now? Are they likely to bolt over a fence if the prey drive kicks in?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

I watched some videos of greyhounds effortlessly bounding over tall fences and it kinda freaked me out. There’s a nice 3-acre dog park close to me that I was hoping to take a prospective greyhound to; it even has separate areas for small and large dogs. The problem is that it has 4 foot fences... It’s also between a road and a forested area, so I feel like the likelihood of a squirrel appearing just outside the park is high and I’m having horrible visions of worst case scenarios.

Where do you let your hounds run free outside of a backyards with massive fences, which isn’t an option for me right now? Are they likely to bolt over a fence if the prey drive kicks in?

A two foot tall fence might as well be a force field to sparty, despite him jumping at least that high to greet me or when he has to go to the bathroom. I know this because we sectioned off our garden with one, and though he doesn't have much prey drive he definitely wanted to yell at the neighbor dog yet never managed to jump it. He also hasn't even tried to jump the portable fence we use when traveling or camping, and that's only like three feet high.

I've never been worried about him escaping if there's been any kind of fencing.

In short, greyhounds are a land of contrasts :shrug:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

We were told by the shelter that Bonnie was an escape artist who would jump any fence to get away, but it turns out she’s the kind of dog who freaks out if I even break line of sight without her expecting it. Turns out she has a different personality when she’s treated as a family pet than as a piece of breeding stock, who knew

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

david_a posted:

I haven't had experiences with greyhounds trying to escape from a fenced-in area. If you're nervous though, maybe use a long, long leash the first time to see how your doggo acts?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

10-20m leashes are really good for training, especially for initial recall and stuff. but holy poo poo use them with a harness and not a collar, ever

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

10-20m leashes are really good for training, especially for initial recall and stuff. but holy poo poo use them with a harness and not a collar, ever

Yes seriously. Any leash really

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’m wondering if fence jumping is more of a problem when

A) you train them to jump stuff, since I think they have to work up to clearing enormous fences
B) you leave them unsupervised, which I’ll never do

I would also take the dog by the park on the outside to see how interested it looks before I get a membership to it (it’s a real fancy park; you have to submit a DNA test so they can trace down owners who don’t clean up after their dog and fine the hell out of and/or expel them).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have a six foot standard leash. I don't use a harness when walking Abby. I hope I'm not damaging her neck or anything :/

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I have a six foot standard leash. I don't use a harness when walking Abby. I hope I'm not damaging her neck or anything :/
i use a nice wide soft collar on bonnie when she's on a short lead and it's perfectly fine. but a long lead gives them time to get up to speed before it yanks them back, which is obviously really bad if they're on a collar. like i wouldn't have any dog on a collar with a long lead, let alone something that can get up to 30mph almost instantly

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is anyone interested in either of these? I'd just charge the shipping cost. Had them for many years from a charity auction but I'm changing my decor.

approx. size 22x28 and 17x21

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh no. I've always had the temptation to adopt a second grey (mostly to keep Tazo company, and hopefully help him start to trust dogs again, after he was harassed a couple of years ago. :( He has a couple of dog friends, but overall he's very wary/afraid of unfamiliar dogs getting up in his face on walks, etc) but due to potential space concerns, I never took the plunge...

...But now my formerly-Dalmation-loving partner has started to love greys after getting to know Taz, and wants me to adopt a second grey, to keep Taz company! She's also got (mostly) mild allergies to dog hair, which doesn't help much. But drat, I can't help but hope I can resist the siren song of having another grey in the house!
:negative:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

grats on your new skeletal goblin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

grats on your new skeletal goblin

:hai: