Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Radiation Cow posted:

An online friend's daughter just drew Gello for me. She said that Gello sparkled, and now I am a weeping mess (in a good way).

She did really good capturing the essence of ears and snoot.

I also think the tail is spot on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Sad news everyone. Teedo had a really bad seizure last night and we think it's time we had him euthanized :( Sad details ahead so if you want to skip that stuff just jump to the asterisks.

He's ok now, but he had two big ones in quick succession. What's worse is that he's started running in the middle of them. Up until now he's usually fall over and just mimic running. Occasionally he'd hurt himself thrashing, but lately now he's been gaining his feet and running full tilt until he hits something. Last night he slammed into a steel fence and a brick wall before I was able to stop him. He also splintered a toenail and smashed his nose so bad he was aspirating blood. He's over 90 pounds and strong and fast so there's no stopping him if he gets started.

We were hoping this was a fluke or a one-time thing, but it's happened three times in succession. While we can manage it if we're here by holding onto his collar, if he has a seizure while we're away who knows how badly he could hurt himself, and getting someone both willing and able to watch a seizing 90 lb. dog every time we want to go out is untenable.

He's been having these seizures about once a week ever since we got him. The longest he's gone has been three or four weeks I think, usually shortly after we upped his medication. Sadly it looks like he's reverted to the same pattern, and he's maxed out on the three medications we're giving him. There's not much room left for options.

My spouse and I spent a lot of last night crying about it. I was awake most of it because my heart ached at the idea of putting him down, worried I was giving up on him unfairly. The lovely thing is that otherwise he's a pretty happy and goofy dog, but we're at the point where the wounds from his previous seizures haven't healed in time for his next one. We've been content to clean up the blood and piss and spit and poo poo, but now that he's getting worse and at real risk of seriously hurting himself we don't know what else to do.

Anyway, sorry for the downer. We haven't scheduled anything yet but it'll probably be soon. We're going to try and give him a nice long week of special treatment and do it before he suffers another seizure.

Here's some stuff about Teedo that made him special

• he has a little spot on the end of his nose we like to joke is his power button, but it's broken
  • despite being a fawn coloration he's got piebald skin, he's got a white strip on his chest and belly and his haunches are black
  • his fur is the softest I've ever felt on a greyhound, it's like he still has his puppy fur
  • his back has a weird saddle depression in his back I haven't seen in any other hound, like it's recessed where his spine would be. I think the muscles in his back are overdeveloped from seizing
  • he loves ear rubbins, and will grumble happily when you get in there. We call it getting The Grumbles out
  • he is very reserved most of the time, but gets excited for walks. He will point his nose right at the crack in the door and focus intently on it while gently wagging his tail. "Ready to go! I. Am. Ready. To. Go."
  • he doesn't care for dog parks. Every time we take him he'll follow us for a bit, then when we stop he'll stand for a minute then just walk back over to the entrance gate and pointedly wait for us to leave
  • he never mastered lifting his leg to pee. Usually he'll just stretch and pee, but every now and then he'll half heartedly try. Most of the time on walks though he will sniff through the grass, walking until just after it runs out and then pee all over someone's driveway (and on his own feet)
  • Theres of course how he likes to exchange trash he finds on the floor for kibble, which we accidentally taught him while teaching "leave it".
  • He still loves to shred paper, ripping off tiny bites until it's all confetti
  • he also destroyed literally every piece of furniture we own. Pieces I'd had for 15 years and carried through four moves, destroyed in a month
  • he has a high pitched bark or yipe for when he wants to go outside, which is very handy because he doesn't seem to have long between when he notices he has to go and when he unloads on the floor. I've lost count of how often we've had to clean up pee and poop
  • thankfully it seems like he's a fast healer, he seems to clot fast and not tend to reopen wounds too often. He's still managed to paint the walls with his blood Jackson Pollack style though
  • he will lick the air and the table near food he wants, I guess in the hope some of it falls onto it? It's funny watching him just lick right next to something. I'm guessing he knows he's not supposed to steal it, but can't help himself
  • at night sometimes he will complain, barking and whining and yapping because he's uncomfortable, until he finally figured out he can change position himself. Usually it's because he wants to get on the couch but is too lazy to get up

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm so sorry to hear that!!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Poor TODD! Definitely a giant personality. Most people (myself included) would not be able to handle him at all, so the fact you’ve given him happiness for so long is something to be proud of.

Do you know why he gets these seizures?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Has medication not helped?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

Do you know why he gets these seizures?

His seizures are idiopathic, that is the vets haven't been able to identify a cause

AtomikKrab posted:

Has medication not helped?

Not to any appreciable effect. He takes a fistful of pills every morning and night, plus a few more just before bedtime, but his seizures have not gotten any less frequent or severe

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i’m so sorry, TODD is an absolute treasure and he’s been very lucky to have such amazing owners and carers

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
He's spent most of today resting and recuperating from last night, which is typical after a seizure

PartyCrown
Dec 31, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

He's spent most of today resting and recuperating from last night, which is typical after a seizure

I am so, so sorry. Teedo is a wonderful guy.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

DarkHorse posted:

His seizures are idiopathic, that is the vets haven't been able to identify a cause

Not to any appreciable effect. He takes a fistful of pills every morning and night, plus a few more just before bedtime, but his seizures have not gotten any less frequent or severe

That really really sucks.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh no, poor TODD! That's incredibly bad news - such a young pup, too! :( I'm glad that he's had a good life with you, though - it's always been a pleasure, reading about his (mis)adventures!

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

DarkHorse posted:

I was awake most of it because my heart ached at the idea of putting him down, worried I was giving up on him unfairly.

You haven’t given up on him unfairly. Just the opposite. You’ve done right by him in every imaginable way.

DarkHorse posted:

Here's some stuff about Teedo that made him special

Thank you for this list and thank you for sharing him with us.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I've loved sharing him with you guys. He is very much a TODD

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

That can't have been an easy decision to make. But it's clear from everything you've ever posted about TODD that his life is filled with love and you guys have done all you possibly can for him. I always loved reading about his adventures, especially him developing an economic model of exchange! Give him plenty of hugs, kisses, and ear rubbins from us.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Another seizure today, and it was a long one. We've scheduled a home euthanasia for Friday.

Really thought we'd have longer with you buddy :(

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I’m really sorry to hear this happen to my boy TODD and I admire your strength. He is well loved.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm so, so sorry.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

So sorry again. You did an incredible thing by taking care of him all this time.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I’m so sorry. I don’t even know what to say.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Thanks everyone, your condolences really do help. I'm glad we were able to share him with you.

If you have any ideas for fun or sentimental things to do we'd appreciate hearing them since we still have a little time. It's never enough, but it's something

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
TODD EATS A BURGER

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
:smith:

You could give him another cardboard box to destroy, he seemed fond of that. I dunno if he needs incentive but maybe hiding treats inside it somehow so he gets even more rewarded ripping for it apart

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ah poo poo. I’m so sorry to hear about TODD. :(

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I'm so sorry, DarkHorse. I loved hearing about his adventures and quirks, he will be sorely missed.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
He's gone.

Ear hat

TODD EAT A BURG :burger:

Rest easy, buddy. You were loved and will be missed. I hope we did right by you.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm so sorry again. You did a great thing for him.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Playing with Sparty and Josie and Opal and Gello and the rest across the rainbow bridge 🌈

He was surprisingly restrained eating that burg; from your stories I figured he would have inhaled it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

so sorry about TODD, he was a top tier boy who brightened this thread up every time

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

Playing with Sparty and Josie and Opal and Gello and the rest across the rainbow bridge 🌈

He was surprisingly restrained eating that burg; from your stories I figured he would have inhaled it

Yeah he's been a lot slower about eating lately, we had been considering doing a dental cleaning in case his teeth were hurting him but were afraid of the anesthesia. Looks like we were probably right, because he had a small seizure after injecting the sedative.

He's still an inveterate food thief though. We had a long walk today and I took him to a local coffee shop, and he was laser-focused on a muffin another customer had. He even did his little air-licking thing (which you see a little of in the burg video)

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Well I let lemon out this morning at 6am and went to the bathroom myself waiting for her and I’m not sure if the rabbits demise was her doing or not but lemon definitely found a way to eat all of its guts without me putting together that she did then transported all of them into her crate and threw up rabbit innards everywhere.

Thanks rear end in a top hat.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

This morning, Boudicca tried to chase a cat that then hid a storm drain. She got her paw stuck in the grating, panicked, and bit me while I was helping her get out. Luckily, she's got no teeth, and the cat escaped unharmed.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Radiation Cow posted:

This morning, Boudicca tried to chase a cat that then hid a storm drain. She got her paw stuck in the grating, panicked, and bit me while I was helping her get out. Luckily, she's got no teeth, and the cat escaped unharmed.

Oh no, that's so scary! :ohdear:

Teedo once fell off the bed during one of his seizures and trapped his leg between the mattress, headboard, and frame in such a way I was terrified he'd break his leg if I didn't extricate him before the next wave. I imagine it was much the same with Boudicca

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Oh no, that's so scary! :ohdear:

Teedo once fell off the bed during one of his seizures and trapped his leg between the mattress, headboard, and frame in such a way I was terrified he'd break his leg if I didn't extricate him before the next wave. I imagine it was much the same with Boudicca

My god I didn't even think of that. She was shrieking, but not flailing, more frozen in place. She has arthritis in her front feet, so I assume that pain, combined with the panic, is why she started biting.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Well she got another one. I know she’s a greyhound but I didn’t think she had the ability or really had it in her. I’ll have to figure out something because I can’t keep picking up rabbits because it snowed

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

And she threw it up again you rear end in a top hat. I didn’t need to see that again especially with the level of specificity. I guess I now have to run into the yard and scare all rabbits before she goes out if it’s snowing.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Are these pet or wild rabbits?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Radiation Cow posted:

Are these pet or wild rabbits?

I would be mortified if she was nabbing pets. There’s a metric ton of rabbits in Minneapolis and they hang out in pretty much every front and back yard. I think the new snow slows them down just enough and not the greyhound as much

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Veskit posted:

I would be mortified if she was nabbing pets. There’s a metric ton of rabbits in Minneapolis and they hang out in pretty much every front and back yard. I think the new snow slows them down just enough and not the greyhound as much

Ah, so useful population control. Still gross, but at least she's performing a valuable service. Would just be nice if she didn't eat them too!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Radiation Cow posted:

Ah, so useful population control. Still gross, but at least she's performing a valuable service. Would just be nice if she didn't eat them too!

Hah! Agreed. :D Thankfully I haven't had this problem - the one time a rabbit died at Tazo's hands, it was because he thought he was playing 'chasey'/tag with it, and it had a heart attack. He didn't even think to eat it, of all things! Sorry to hear it though, Veskit - it's no doubt quite the mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie’s killed four moles (well, three and a half, thanks for leaving the dirty work to me Kate) but thankfully she doesn’t eat them. Once she’s caught them and maybe thrown them around a bit she loses all interest.

I kinda doubt it’s possible to train something like that out of a greyhound if their prey instinct is high enough that they’ll actually eat the prey…

Maybe put a bell on their collar when they’re outside?