Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I got 62.6 so I think they were right. She’s 2.5 years old. Should I up her food a little bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Nah, no more regular food. Use it as an opportunity to treat the poo poo out of her while training.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

did they not weigh her at the vet?

Abby came off the track at around 60, and she is large for a female (she maxed out at like 72).

Katie will definitely gain weight over the next few years since she won't be racing. She looks great, and that is a very large lamb chop

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
They did weigh her at the vet - 62 lbs. Race weight was 63-64 and her last checkup in Florida was 67.

NomNomNom posted:

Nah, no more regular food. Use it as an opportunity to treat the poo poo out of her while training.

Well, in my case that’s actually the same thing because her treats are her kibble. I’ve been “rounding down” her breakfast & dinner to account for it but I guess I can stop that now.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah keep the food the same, treats are extra. Go in and recheck her weight in a few weeks.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

If her ribs are just kinda visible (which is how they look in the pics) that’s pretty much the ideal physique. I wouldn’t worry too much about her weight. She could have lost some muscle mass if she’s retired from racing which would explain being a bit lighter

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Hey do y'all have pet insurance and, if so, with whom and what are your deductibles? We're trying to price things out and figured we should also check if self-insuring is a valid option. For reference, Starbuck is just a bit over two years old.

Akbar fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 14, 2021

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Don't personally have insurance but when I looked into it, it seemed like the use case is for if you wouldn't be able to pay a few thousand dollars for an emergency procedure. But if you do have the savings, you would most likely come out ahead if you didn't get the insurance.

Others can correct me if they have a difference experience.

If you have a Petsmart/Banfield near you, their plan has been way cheaper than independent vets I've used.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 14, 2021

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

bamhand posted:

Don't personally have insurance but when I looked into it, it seemed like the use case is for if you wouldn't be able to pay a few thousand dollars for an emergency procedure. But if you do have the savings, you would most likely come out ahead if you didn't get the insurance.

Others can correct me if they have a difference experience.

To be fair this is literally the case with all insurance for anything anywhere. Insurance companies essentially make money by charging you more than they think you'll claim over a set period.

Obviously there are other factors too (like insurers getting a cheaper rate for services because they negotiate en mass etc) but generally speaking you get insurance because the cost of the insurance is worth it to you to avoid needing to pay out a big lump sum on one go, even if you can afford it.

Personally I think pet insurance should be mandatory because it can be the difference between pointless and avoidable euthaised dogs and them being healthy and happy.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Kitchner posted:

To be fair this is literally the case with all insurance for anything anywhere. Insurance companies essentially make money by charging you more than they think you'll claim over a set period.

Obviously there are other factors too (like insurers getting a cheaper rate for services because they negotiate en mass etc) but generally speaking you get insurance because the cost of the insurance is worth it to you to avoid needing to pay out a big lump sum on one go, even if you can afford it.

Personally I think pet insurance should be mandatory because it can be the difference between pointless and avoidable euthaised dogs and them being healthy and happy.

Yeah. We keep a big pot of money set aside because we are fortunate enough we can easily absorb thousand dollar vet bills, but I think we still have an emergency plan too where we make monthly payments and it's a one:one for vet visits, emergency or otherwise

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Kitchner posted:

I mean sort of, but it's not really comparable to say, health insurance. Major medical procedures easily cost more than a person can pay in a life time. But having a few thousand saved for a pet emergency is reasonable. Unless you're getting major treatment every few years it's likely to be cheaper to forego insurance.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah I would just say make sure you have enough money to cover an emergency if it happens. Also I know my vet at least has payment plans available through some third party, worst case scenario.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

bamhand posted:

I mean sort of, but it's not really comparable to say, health insurance. Major medical procedures easily cost more than a person can pay in a life time.

Unless they are filthy rich.

The point is its all about how much money you personally have and what the consequences for you personally are should the worst case scenario happens.

Point is "is insurance worth it?" is an inherently personal question.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Tubbs absolutely loving loves snow, he goes completely wild in it

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Would love to take Hazel to some deep snow but instead we get this:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I wanted to see what would happen if I didn’t actually close the door to the crate when I tried going out for separation training, and, well... I didn’t even make it to opening the door

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just sent this to the vet, waiting to hear back. Anyone else ever see this with their dog? It's only in one eye and started a few days ago.

It's as if the eye is kind of rolling up, so you see that edge that you don't normally see, and then the blood vessels below it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Update at the vet. No scratches on her eye. Got some ointment for inflammation. They mentioned an idiopathic version of Horners syndrome as a possibility.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

Update at the vet. No scratches on her eye. Got some ointment for inflammation. They mentioned an idiopathic version of Horners syndrome as a possibility.

Oh good, I was worried about corneal abrasion :ohdear:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

Oh good, I was worried about corneal abrasion :ohdear:

they did some flouro thing that would show any scratches, abrasions, etc. and it didn't.

apparently that border I was seeing is her "third eyelid" which all dogs have

https://animaleyecare.com/client-information/faq/canines-have-third-eyelids/

the issue was causing her third eyelid to come up, and some inflammation and redness in that area, which is why I saw that.

I have an rx for some ointment to put on her eye 2x/week for one week.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

actionjackson posted:

they did some flouro thing that would show any scratches, abrasions, etc. and it didn't.

the issue was causing her third eyelid to come up, and some inflammation and redness in that area, which is why I saw that.

That's good new. Hope she's good with you touching her eye.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Boudicca's third eyelids are almost constantly inflamed and red. We've tried ointments, drops and nothing works. It doesn't seem to irritate her at all, so the vet said just to leave it until it does bug her.

so we just live with a demonic dog with red eyes.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Photo dump because sparty is taking advantage of the chilly weather, running like a nut in the snow and then yelling at us because he's hungry and wants to play and also snuggle

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

first pic is the most regal dog ever

thanks for the comments about the eye thing, Abby has no issue with my rubbing the ointment on her eyeball. She's always been good with medical treatments though.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Boudicca is awful about medical treatments. Put something in her ear? SCREAM. Touch her foot? SCREAM. Try to brush her teeth? SOMEONE CALL THE HAGUE.
Have all four canines removed at once? Silence. Greyhounds are weird.

Gello, on the other hand, is a perfect angel dog that personifies learned helplessness. She'll let you do anything, in the hopes that it will all be over soon.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

first walk in like nine days because the polar vortex is finally receding, ugh. Abby has been miserable, so it was nice for her to be allow to walk around for more than 30 seconds and smell things

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie has been a complete diva about the snow. When I took her out last night she thought it was the worst thing in the universe and bounded like a gazelle to get back inside. This morning I had to shovel a path for her on the back patio because she wouldn’t set foot on it otherwise. On our lunch walk, however, I wasn’t the one who dragged us into a snow bank...

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah Abby loves when there's a bunch of snow, she jumps around in it like crazy, but after a few minutes she's done.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

I love this little babushka

Sparty loves the snow, but yeah he's done relatively quick. We could probably put something on him and let him play more but he wants to go outside too much as it is. Our other pup not so much, she hates cold and wet feet

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DarkHorse posted:

I love this little babushka

lol yeah when we had crunchy snow earlier she would walk around really awkwardly in the fenced in area; powerful babuska energy

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

if she ever gets up she'll walk around with the blanket stuck on her for a while in confusion

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6G0ZI7BrQA

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Aww! :3: I'd love to take Taz to a snowy area that he can run around in - I'm sure he'd love seeing it for the first time! (Also, what's Sparty actually looking at over there? Anything legitimately interesting, or just...something random/utterly important that greys sometimes fixate on?)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Major Isoor posted:

Aww! :3: I'd love to take Taz to a snowy area that he can run around in - I'm sure he'd love seeing it for the first time! (Also, what's Sparty actually looking at over there? Anything legitimately interesting, or just...something random/utterly important that greys sometimes fixate on?)

Our other dog Cookie, you can see her walk in from frame left. He's trying to get her to play but she likes to keep her paws clean (unless there's a squirrel, then all bets are off)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol sparty

cookie is how abby reacts to all dogs

speaking of, I've also noticed her lower back lip on the same side as her affected eye is drooping, which afaik is also part of Horner's syndrome. It doesn't seem to be causing any negative effects, it just looks a bit weird. I did send a pic to the vet.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

lol sparty

cookie is how abby reacts to all dogs

speaking of, I've also noticed her lower back lip on the same side as her affected eye is drooping, which afaik is also part of Horner's syndrome. It doesn't seem to be causing any negative effects, it just looks a bit weird. I did send a pic to the vet.

If it's Horner's syndrome does that mean she likely has a tumor on that side pressing on the nerves? It would go with the neurological effects you observed earlier with Abby

Such a sweet and pretty girl :3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

If it's Horner's syndrome does that mean she likely has a tumor on that side pressing on the nerves? It would go with the neurological effects you observed earlier with Abby

Such a sweet and pretty girl :3:

oh jeez don't say tumor!

the vet said it was idiopathic, so I don't think so. This is the case most of the time, and it will typically resolve within a few weeks or months.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/horners-syndrome-in-dogs

the eye part is this

"the third eyelid of the affected side may appear red and raised (prolapse of the third eyelid, conjunctival hyperemia)"

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

seriously can you not suggest that Abby has cancer? that is insanely upsetting, and you aren't her vet (and afaik you aren't a vet at all)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Group hug time!

(I regret to inform you the picture was staged; I put Lamp Chop there)

Katie is an extremely annoying dog to take for a walk. She has very strong opinions on where we should go. She’s memorized all the places that people have put out food for feral cats. She’s obsessed with one spot now and we must visit it. There’s usually an insolent feline sitting there daring her to come close, which she’s very interested in. I got her away from that area today without too much trouble, but like magic we somehow circled around and wound up back there. She will also frequently freeze in place and refuse to budge, all the while giving me this exact infernal look:

Most of the time I just face the direction I want to go with the leash taut and after 5-7 minutes she will give in. Sometimes I do have to shove her to safety when she insists on freezing in the middle of a road.

I’m mainly venting here about my stubborn babushka Katie Katya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I love Abby and Sparty and Katie and all the stubborn and weirdo boys and babushkas.

Seriously I had never considered greyhounds as a viable dog choice and now I can't imagine owning any other kind of dog. I just want to fuss on all of them and look into their extremely sad eyes and give them cheeseburgers.

Bonus the manager of the adoption centre I volunteer at has a saluki AND a wolfhound and so when she brings them in I am always looking for excuses to be back by her office or go outside when i see her taking them on a walk because I love them so much.