Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I never used to think much of sight hounds, found them kinda ugly and uninteresting. Then I got my first dog two years ago, a 10 week old whippet from the RSPCA and now I can't imagine having any other breed.

Absolute sweethearts, clingy sometimes and yet aloof other times. I've never known such a cuddly, lazy dog and so full of personality. She's low energy except while we're walking, and she'll go as long as I do; then crash on my bed when we get home and accept all cuddles. She's soft, she sheds very little, no dog-stink, no barking ever I love it. I'll never be without a whippet I think.

(downside: holy gently caress she was hard work to house-train. Don't poop in crate! STOP POOPIN IN YOUR CRATE!)
(downside 2: people constantly telling me my dog was skinny and I wasn't feeding her right)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
All day, every day, directly into her earhole. It exhausts her.

Now that I dig sight hounds so much I've got my mind on a saluki if a rescue one ever appears (unlikely but who knows?)..

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My whippet is weird with water. If I splash water at her while I'm running a bath she'll recoil and paw at her face to remove even just a droplet, but she used to dive into the large pond where we used to walk with no hesitation. Literally every walk, she would rocket into this pond at least once. Now I walk her by a gentle river and she won't touch it unless I stand in it myself or throw floating treats in for her to retrieve, and even then she's out of it as soon as possible. I really don't quite understand her feelings towards water. :shobon:

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Goddamn I just love how fuckin chill my whippet Willow is. Tonight's bonfire night in the UK and there's lots of fireworks, but Willow doesn't give a poo poo about them at all. I walked her through a neighbourhood where people were setting off fireworks in their front gardens and she didn't care in the least.

(I knew before walking her tonight that she doesn't care about fireworks, so I wasn't risking freaking her out by doing it.. I just wasn't quite aware of how little she's affected by them)

I dunno if it's a whippet thing or just Willow not having a concept of being afraid because she's the most coddled, babied thing around.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xguard86 posted:

What do y'all do with your dogs at night?

My whippet sleeps in bed with me (lol I said I would never let that happen when she was a puppy) and she wakes me up several times a night because she wants to be on top of the covers, then under, then on top. I'm so used to this now that I barely even wake up to do it. She snuffles and dream-jitters and snorts and reverse sneezes and licks my leg under the covers but I got completely used to it, you will too I'm sure!

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My whippet's sulking and not being my friend because I clipped her claws today. She has clear claws so they're easy to clip, but she has REALLY long quicks and no matter how often I trim her claws they just don't seem to recede, so her claws always look long. There's also the fact that she hates having them trimmed, oh my god. As soon as she sees the clippers she runs to hide someplace and gives me the saddest goddamn look, I feel absolutely rotten about it and try to make it quick with treats in between clips but she still acts like I've committed the greatest betrayal. She flinches when I clip her claws, too. Is it hurting her? Or is she just being a pussy? I've never cut her quick but maybe she's having flashbacks of the time I took her to the vet to have a broken claw removed.

Here she is being interrupted during her 8th nap of the day

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DarkHorse posted:

like someone threw a rocking horse down a stairwell

This is such a perfect way of describing sighthound stair descent :3:

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have to bath Willow pretty much every time I let her off lead for a run in a nearby field because we have a LOT of foxes in the area and she always very quickly finds fox poo poo and tries to merge with it. Rubbin, rollin, letting it all collect in her collar, trying to become one with it. Bloody hate foxes now.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
He's gorgeous. They're so goddamn goofy the way they sleep.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
One giant field.
One little whippet.
One tiny mudpuddle.

Could the whippet find it?

Yeah she could, like instantly. Damnit.

Then a beagle came over to play and Willow took great delight in being a terrible influence, and immediately showed the beagle the mudpuddle. Sorry beagle owner :(

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
She's super easy to bathe, I just plonk her into the bath and run the shower over her and she stands completely still and looks sad. I don't think she enjoys the shower at all but she very patiently tolerates it. She enjoys the towel drying and rolling around on rugs afterwards though :)

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bamhand posted:

Crates make house training a lot easier because they generally will not soil their crate.

Ask me about my puppy that would not stop pooping in her crate

e: not to put anybody off crate training, it totally works and eventually worked for Willow, she's just a stupid idiot that couldn't grasp the difficult concept of 'DON'T poo poo ON YOUR BED' for a while

Build-a-Boar fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 29, 2016

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Willow gets her own blanket on my bed but apparently it's just never quite right when I do it so she'll drag it around all over the bed, occasionally falling off the bed in the process and nearly always standing all over me, planting her stick legs in my gut or backing her rear end into my face before doing a little circle on her still a complete mess of a blanket (it's perfect now though), slumping down, sighing deeply and letting out a little fart. Great dogs A+.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why do sighthounds look so goddamn sad all the time. Willow makes me feel terrible by looking absolutely miserable when I'm getting ready to go out, and the worse the weather the more concerned she looks.

Also for some reason she won't eat when I'm not here. When she's home alone or has a sitter she will not touch the food in her bowl, but as soon as I get home she splits her attention between greeting me and snarfing a couple mouthfuls of food, it's so weird. Jump on me for pats, run to bowl for food, run back to me to rub on my legs like a cat, dash back to bowl, over and over like she REALLY wanted the food but me not being there meant she wasn't allowed? I do sometimes ask her to wait when I put her food out but I always give her the okay so I don't think she's assuming she's not allowed. Silly longdog.

e: I need to get a no-pull harness for Willow for walks and to hook her up in the car, where the hell do I get one that fits her stupid shape? Not the halti head one, just a harness that clips at the front.

Build-a-Boar fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 18, 2016

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Haha so it's a sighthound thing? Willow's been a PAIN about going out to pee/poop, takes about four attempts and major cajoling to get her to go outside, and if I don't stand outside with her and close the door behind me she'll just pee quickly and try to run back in. I have to suffer the cold wind and rain with her in order to make sure she poops before bedtime.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Bought a teddybear that had a scarf and tried it on Willow, which made her sad because she worried it meant she was going outside in the rain. I'm really glad she's fine with dressup so it's easy to get coats on her.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Willow's had a real dilemma this week. She loves to make a nest in my bed and sleep under the covers or under her blanket, but it has been TOOO HOOTTT for that and she's been really upset about it. She keeps waking up, going under the covers for a few minutes, then coming out again and roaching like this to cool back down again. Poor thing. She's very much enjoyed eating ice cubes though. Also after 5 years of this dog I've officially given up on making my bed, she rearranges it nearly instantly to whippet specification.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why are these lovely breeds such a stupid shaPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I love this small horse