Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Can anyone recommend some good booties that will stand up to snow/salt/cold? We have some of the plastic ones but they are a pain to get on, seem pretty uncomfortable for him, and even though they are the large breed size seem a little small. (It also doesn't help that he will bound into the deepest snow almost immediately).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Chainsaw McGee posted:

Bean has booties from K9 Voyager. They go up past the ankle? Good for a walk but she has trouble keeping them on at full speed. She seems happy with them otherwise.

Thanks! I think we have a coat from them, so I'll check out the booties.

various cheeses posted:

I may be getting a greyhound later this month. What do they absolutely need for cold weather? I'm definitely getting a coat of some kind.

We are in WI (where it's hovered around 10 F all this week and there's 5 inches of snow with the promise of more), and our complex goes overboard on salt to a ridiculous degree, so Chevy needs both a fleece coat and booties and even then he's not a big fan of long walks.

I guess I forgot to post this:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Yep, looks like a pittie mix to me.

I will need to see more pictures though, ideally. Not for ID purposes, but because look at his cute little face.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Sort of a random question but does anybody know what color the lures are that they use to train racing greyhounds?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Has anybody else had a problem where their hound is TOO SPOOKY???

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

ascendance posted:

Treegoat, does your hound burrow under the covers on his/her own?

They "entirely covered with blankets" thing is usually us "assisting" but he will move the blankets around on his own. Normally if he is hanging off the bed he will make a sort of pillow out of whatever blanket is by the bed so he doesn't have to actually move but can still be on 100% soft things.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Poor puppy!

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Happy Howlidays from our dog who is giving us a look like we personally betrayed him.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Fullsize greyhounds (as opposed to IGs) I'd say deal better than most as they have big enough bladders that they can tough out the workday, and are lazy enough that the exercise you can fit in before or after work is more than enough. Some retired racers can get pretty bad separation anxiety though, just because they have been around other greys and people pretty much 24/7.

Depends on the dog! Hang out with some dogs!

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

slap me silly posted:

This will blow your mind, but there is not a hard and fast rule about how long a greyhound can be in a crate, either!

Not quite true.

If you put a greyhound in a crate for at least two hours and give them a thunder stone or moon stone they will evolve into Final Dog.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
We took ours to the vet during a thunderstorm, which is like the absolute opposite of giving him a burger.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Elderbean posted:

Are greyhound rescues less picky about apartments than other ones? My apartment complex is very dog friendly, close to a dog park, and it has an area on the roof for dogs to poo/pee.

Yes. Lots of greyhound rescues are fine with apartments. And more to the point greyhounds can do very well in apartments.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Our old American Eskimo had his teeth removed when we got him, and the tongue sticking out thing is pretty normal+adorable.

I can't find one that quite does it justice, though.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Dogs

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Apparently dogs like blankets that have just come out of the dryer.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
hound found!

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

actionjackson posted:

I put booties on Abby since it's a -12 windchill. She was able to walk around in them, but incredibly slowly. It might be faster just to leave them off - while her feet will be much colder, she will do her business much faster.

Try Musher's Secret or some other brand, might be a good compromise between chilly feet and stumble-y dog. We've used it in -10, -20 weather + road salt everywhere.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Our lined fleece coat is beginning to fall apart. Since the high today was 0F, this could be a problem.
I know this has been asked a couple times, but does anybody have good recommendations for coats?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
A little plain yogurt mixed in with the food also helps control the intensity, if not the number, of greyhound toots.

I agree that greyhounds and toys can be really hit or miss. Our dog likes (supervised!) rawhides and pig ears a lot, but has a pretty low interest level in other toys.

I would also have a fridge magnet or other prominent bulletin with the contact number of an emergency vet, as well as the contact info for your regular vet.

Another thing to have is a mental list of what rooms and furniture are off limits to the dog; if you're inconsistent about this early on, it'll be hard to fix later.

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 29, 2016

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Level with me: how bad are the post burger toots?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Congratulations to greyhounds!

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
here's a weird looking cat

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Here is another fawn greyhound, after successfully completing his project of "moving the dog bed that was in another room next to another, existing dog bed."

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
I use the boots more for keeping out the salt than the cold. I'd get a pair for the bitterly cold or deep snow days. Mushers Secret seems to work just as well for days where it's just very cold, rather than extremely cold.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Might be a question for a professional, but I can't tell which of these is a dog and which is a stuffed giraffe, any guesses?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
weird snake

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://twitter.com/lonelydandruff/status/919063945721159680

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Ferrule posted:

My dog is part greyhound. He had half the teeth in head removed last year (after one just fell out). Tomorrow he goes in to get the other half pulled. He is 8.

Greyhounds have a crazy genetic pre-disposition to gum problems, or so I am told.

It’s nature/nurture for greyhounds too since the track diet for racing greys is straight up ground meat. I hope the surgery goes well. We had a toothless dog for a while and he didn’t seem to mind it much, and was still able to eat dry food/etc with no problem. Made his tongue stick out more, though.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
the whippet was loving robbed at the national dog show this year

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
We had to put Chevy down yesterday (we're still not sure from what, the E-Vet said either cancer or a viral infection; he went from fine to completely limp in his back legs and neck and in a lot of pain within 48 hours) and it sucks and I miss my dog and you should all pat your dogs even though they are weird stilt-dogs that look like a child's drawing of a dog come to life.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, that's awful news! :( How old was he, in the end? (Doesn't make it better regardless of how old he is, really - I just hope he was able to lead a long life alongside you)
I'll make sure to give Tazo a belly rub when I get home. It's always terrible when a dog/family member dies, so I really feel for you, there. :(

11, after 3 years or racing and a year or two with a foster, so we had him for a while, but it still really sucks

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
wtf
https://twitter.com/DickKingSmith/status/953260889578360832

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

DarkHorse posted:

I can counter the food regulating bit, Spartacus would eat himself into a coma if we let him. Multiple times when we first got him he fooled us into thinking the other adult hadn’t fed him yet, and he was still scrounging for treats and table scraps besides. :btroll:

Though I think another reason you don’t see fat ones is they’re built to be light - if one starts packing on pounds it’s pretty much guaranteed to have mobility issues, to the point where an extra 20% might immobilize them

They also tend to put on fat in the belly, which is weirdly skinny compared to a "normal" dog breed, so an overweight greyhound looks like a normal regular dog.

our local gpa gave us a diagram like this:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://twitter.com/kazrowe/status/1025820245330518021?s=21

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://twitter.com/tracysaur/status/1060181686997172224

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
imo, the dogs are good dogs

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
ours would be a wuss about rain but i never associated not crossing bodies of running water with greyhound. i more associated it with draculas

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i was gonna say "having the dog whine every time the pillow falls off the bed sounds really annoying" but then chevy would whine if somebody was loud going up the stairs so maybe everybody just has personal levels of annoying that they are willing to tolerate in service of the weird stilt deercats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Always mimicking each other!

very on brand for the breed that that is a massive sofa and yet they are still situated in a way such that they are hogging most of it