Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Whoo, yuss greyhound thread.

I'm going to see the grey I want to adopt today, and plan on taking lots of pictures if the rescue will let me, so I'll throw some up here late late late this evening when I finally get home(it's gonna be a busy day...I'm preparing for a move in two weeks' time as well as visiting this guy)

I'm now edgy as all gently caress waiting to be able to go out and meet this guy but I'm not leaving for another three hours, gaaah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

So as I previously mentioned, I went to go and see the greyhound I want to adopt yesterday and he's still such a sweetie! I got a lot more information about him too. Apparently he's very drivey, when he first came to the shelter he had an incident where he got free of his handler and killed one of the feral cats nearby as he wasn't wearing a muzzle at the time, and they've stressed to me that I'll need to be very careful in that area. They expect me to get a greyhound muzzle for him before I pick him up to take him home, as well as having a lurcher collar of some sort on the day as well, which is all fine. On the positive side however, he's very food-motivated so I'm confident I can work with him to have him in the room with my birds in their cage without issues, given time and patience. I'm fine with having to lock him out of the room when birds are out if that's what it takes.

Apparently he was not treated very well as a racer, and was kept in some sort of stable setup. When he first came to the rescue he and his fellow rescued greys had a fair number of injuries which took some time to heal, and he's now been in there for almost two years. I'm surprised that no one else has wanted to take him home, as he is a lovely boy. Perhaps it's because he's just a that bit bigger than most greyhounds?

Anyway, here's pictures! Sorry for the strange sizes, I had to cut them out of two-second long videos my mum was taking as she didn't realise it was in video mode rather than picture mode.

Jet standing next to me. For reference I'm 6ft1in.

Giving me a look.

Gettin' pettin's.

While I was talking to the rescue girl about him he was leaning against both my legs getting pets in between giving feral cats the hard stare. I kept trying to turn him away from them but they had so many that there was almost always one in any direction.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

daggerdragon posted:

Those collars look like they could just slip right off the dog via either end.

Are their necks really as small as they look in the pictures? Do greys have special needs for a collar?

Regarding greys, it's not so much that their neck is small as that their head tapers down so it's easy for a normal collar to slip off. Lurcher collars which are much wider on one side than the other are harder to slip off, while martingale collars used on walks are also very difficult for the dog to remove, deliberately or accidentally.

I can't speak for the dogs in that picture, I imagine the collars you'd use on greys wouldn't work quite as well due to all that fur.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Fake Ken Rockwell posted:

Do you happen to know what track he raced at? If that kind of thing happened here (Southland), the kennel would most likely be banned from racing and evicted from the premises.

It may be possible to have that kennel investigated.

Though I am not pro-racing, most racing greyhounds (in the USA) are treated extremely well, though there are a few tracks that are known for allowing bad kennels.

I don't know where he raced, and my searches for what his ear tattoos showed yielded nothing (Right ear: IY and left ear: MRU if you want to try), however I know it was somewhere in Ireland, and the way the rescue person talked the hounds were rescued as the track was shut down.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

skoolmunkee posted:

I'm pretty sure I said something about dogs needing to eat burgers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rfu1s_8dYg

(I told youtube to edit it so it cuts off after 2 minutes, but the changes haven't taken effect yet)

Dogs eating burgers should be a spectator sport. I remember getting one for the Pomeranian my family had when I was a teenager. It was half the size she was and she dragged it to her bed and ate it over a period of a couple of hours, during which she didn't move from the bed and growled at anyone that came close, while keeping her mouth clamped around the burger.

I realise now this probably wasn't desirable behaviour, but it was hilarious at the time.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

I went to see the greyhound I want to adopt again today. My Mum came with me as we were headed in that direction to do some shopping anyway, and apparently when I left the run/pen thing he was in he turned and kept watching me as I left and stayed like that till I came back. :3:

I wonder if he's already recognizing me and in some way starting to bond(not really the word I want to use, but the closest I can find). He's such a sweet boy, and fantastic when walking too. He doesn't pull at all, and seems to care less about hard-staring the cats and such than when I first saw him.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

skoolmunkee posted:

Remind me again why you haven't taken that fella home yet? :]

I only just moved home this past Thursday into a place where I can have a dog, and I'm still desperately trying to Get Stuff Done. The shelter are okay with holding him for me for a few more weeks, but I plan to bring him home on the 15th of June, as that'll give me time to get everything sorted at both the new place and the old place. I'm getting there, and the idea that I may have him home at the end of next week is pretty drat awesome, I have to say. I've got the home check coming tomorrow, and have some fence panels that I need to at least start putting up before then; some parts of the fences are lower than 6ft and they're asking for at least 6ft all round, because he's tall and has a strong prey drive.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

RazorBunny posted:

The key is consistency day to day - if your schedule is wildly different each night of the week, the dog is probably not going to deal with it well.

This might be a silly question, but how do they deal with weekends?

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

I got approved by the rescue on my home check today! This is awesome! Now I need to start getting everything ready to bring him home on the 15th.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

various cheeses posted:

This thread has me 95% convinced to rescue a greyhound after I move in to my new house. I think I'll get a black one, because I keep reading that black greyhounds are adopted less often for some reason.

Apparently people are cat racist against black cats, so it wouldn't entirely surprise me to find the same is true of dogs.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

There are videos on Youtube of greyhounds swimming and learning to swim, but generally they do have life jackets on, and are closely watched.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Hey so check this guy out he just jumped in the back of my car while I was parked at the rescue for totally unrelated reasons and now keeps staring at me after following me into the house.

No, but seriously, he's an awesome dog. He just wolfed down his dinner(gonna have to get one of those anti-inhaling bowls) and is now having a lie-down. He already knows the red spotty bed is his bed as he's picked up and taken that squeaky toy to it, even after I moved into the living room so I could keep an eye on him without having to tether him.

He's been really good with the birds too. Sniffing at them, and occasionally watching but it wasn't like the real hard stare, except when the cockatiel did cockatiel things like being afraid of its own shadow. A little desensitization for all parties involved and it'll be fine. For now I've moved the birds to a seperate room so everyone can get settled.

EDIT: Shortly after his first walk:

Current status: Has learned how to make toys make noise.

It's a good sign that he's already playing and such, right?

Cluncho McChunk fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 14, 2013

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Things are going well at casa del trauma, despite an early awakening. When I went to bed I left my door open so I could hear if he had any issues in the living room, but he kept walking between the living room and my bedroom and giving me sad looks, so I moved his bed into the bedroom and he flopped right down. As far as I can tell he then slept through from 2230 or so to 0600, at which point he only woke me up by bumping his head on the sofa, so I can't really hold it against him. Took him out for a wee and he came right back in and started dozing again while I pretended I am in any way capable of going back to sleep when its light out. My birds didn't help this endeavour by being loud, however.

I'm just amazed that there's been no noise from him at all except doggie sighs and yawns. I expected at least a little crying the first night.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

RazorBunny posted:

They are relatively "catlike" in personality, though of course they still have the same needs all dogs do - they have to be taken outside to eliminate, they will get lonely if they're home alone all day, etc. But they have a much smaller footprint in your life than some breeds.

This is all true. Apart from occasional demands for ear rubbins, Jet largely just sleeps on the sofa, rug or one of his beds. If I want to do something he's totally up for it, but otherwise he just has a nap and is happy, so long as he gets his daily walks/play sessions/rubbins.

skoolmunkee posted:

Union is like my only friend in England and I just want her to have the best life she can. :( why does there gotta be cancer

Skoolmunkee, I'm so sorry to hear about Union. I hope she responds well to surgery and further treatment. :ohdear:

If you're ever in East Anglia let me know, we might be able to do a meetup or something. Jet needs to start hanging with other dogs.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

skoolmunkee posted:

Union didn't make it. She was doing well after the surgery and they asked me to come pick her up to move her to the emergency clinic so someone could watch her overnight, but then suddenly her heart gave out I guess. They called me back just as I was getting into the car. I'm pretty devastated right now. She meant everything to me and I feel like I let her down, what an awful way to go.

I'm so sorry to hear about Union. She was a good dog, and you gave her a good life.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

skoolmunkee posted:

More greyhound pictures please. :]

Here's one of Jet that didn't come out great, but basically he decided that rolling from side to side on the rug was really freakin' cool for about 30 seconds.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

RazorBunny posted:

Comic book writer Gail Simone has a retired racer named 'Scuro, and she posted this picture of him recently:

I think we can all sympathize.

Sure can. Jet has the most rancid farts I've ever smelled, and on days where he's especially gassy he likes to lie right behind where my tower fan is, so I get fart blown in my face.

Man's best friend indeed. He's lucky he's cute.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Jet's normally pretty good at not sleeping like an idiot(except when he roaches), although he will diligently scratch the cushions/covers/whatever into just the right shape of heap and then collapse on it with a deep sigh. He sometimes lays down and totally hangs his head off the sofa, but that normally doesn't last, and I'm pretty sure it's just so he can give me his best 'give me more food' eyes.

Anyway, here's a picture of him having kicked the covers off half the sofa, because it's better that way.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

I hope you're doing okay without Union, Skoolmunkee. She sounds like a really special and awesome dog, and I know it's been tough when I've lost dogs in the past.

In Jet news however, I had a moment of introspection about how well he's doing when my Mum visited. I hadn't noticed all the small things about how he was adjusting to the home, just the big things like him coming to me for fusses, or just recently plonking his head on top of my mouse hand when I'm on the computer for attention. When Mum visited she commented on how well he was doing and how open he had become compared to when I first got him, and she was right. He now wags his tail a whole lot more, he'll come up to you, sniff you and headbutt you when you get home. He responds to my voice in a lot of different, small ways, and he looks to me to make sure things are alright. Just little things, like hearing another dog barking in the distance when we're in the garden, but it's a great sign of progress that I just hadn't noticed until now.

The best thing was when me and Mum were talking, she was watching him, and he'd get this little twitch of a wag at the end of his tail when I was talking. So drat cute, now that I see it. :3:

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Nice Davis posted:

This raises a question: how easy is it to rename a greyhound that's a few years old? Are they to used to what the rescue is calling them to change easily? How do you even go about training a dog to recognize a new name in the first place?

Any dog's name can be changed, it isn't part of what they consider themselves, just something they respond a certain way to. To teach a new name just use it mostly. Give the dog rewards for reacting to the new name, ears perking up, eye contact, orienting to face you, and coming to you. Of course, I use the dog's name with an implicit 'come' command, but you can always stop short of that.

If you need more advice, the training thread can help, and has a section of its OP for names iirc.

Cluncho McChunk fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 15, 2013

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

various cheeses posted:

I noticed all the dogs at the rescue had a hilariously bare rear end. I'm assuming it fills in later after some coddling in a proper home?

Normally, yeah. Jet has a couple of bare-ish patches on his thighs where they touch the ground most when he lies down and he's currently shedding like mad. He spends most of his time on either the sofa or a couple of memory foam beds with soft covers, so it may just be a fact of life that there'll be patches where the fur rubs away a bit due to greyhounds being as thin-furred as they are.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Serella posted:

Oh god, how do you stand the unholy dogfarts that must ensue?

They're greyhounds, gas from the bowels of hell is situation normal.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

So, I don't have pictures right now but can probably get some later if it would help, but I need some reassurance for Jet's First Moult. He's losing a lot of fur, which I wasn't worried about at first, but now his belly/underside of his chest is more or less bald, and his thighs are starting to look threadbare, although he already had worn patches from where his butt rubs the ground while lying around the place. I know greyhounds are fairly thin-furred regardless, but wasn't expecting him to have a bald belly, please reassure me that this is normal moult stuff and not my dog going horrendously bald. :ohdear:

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

HappyHelmet posted:

So I'm about 90% sure that I will adopt a greyhound sometime (as in the next few months, not right away) after I return to the USA next week.

However, the group I'm looking to adopt from notes "not suitable for apartment" after pretty much every dog on their website. I will be looking for work in the Seattle area so will absolutely be living in an apartment, but I was under the impression greyhounds do pretty well in an apartment. Just to be sure thought maybe I'd check with you guys.

I guess what I'm most concerned about is how greyhounds deal with being alone in an apartment alone for standard 8 hour work shifts.

I'd imagine most of them would probably be fine. You may need to do some adjustment with pee schedules/etc for a few weeks as they will likely be used to eliminating more often at the rescue. You'd be well served by coming home at lunch time if possible, or having someone check in with the dog and take it out.

The rescue I got Jet from asked that I come home from work at lunch to let him out each day, and that schedule works well for Jet. Some days he doesn't pee when I come home at midday, and so he could probably be fine with being left for a whole work day, but on the whole it seems a safer option to come home at midday, given that we had a few issues the first few weeks home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

gninjagnome posted:

Isn't this the same regardless of whether they are in a house or an apartment? I would have thought younger greys would be easier to adjust to a home or apartment, since they weren't at the track that long, so they would be less accustomed to that routine.

Bear in mind that the track would be almost literally all they've known. Any greyhound fresh from retirement is going to have an adjustment period, how long and troublesome that is depends on the dog.