Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

I have a bit of a dumb question, but I'll take the opportunity to introduce Omi first:

Omi was found like this, and we do not know his history. He might have been a racer, or possibly used to train fighting dogs, or just an abandoned dog who was attacked by strays.

They took him to the vet and gave him a bath, and started looking for a foster home to live in while he recovers

Now he is with us (here getting to know our dog a bit better. So far they're respecting one another). If everything works out, and there are no severe issues between him and our other dog, our intention is to go from foster family to just family

He is clearly very scared and super tired, so he has been sleeping the whole time since getting here, which brings me to my rather naive question. I did my due diligence about owning greyhounds, bringing dogs into your home, bringing injured dogs home, but this wasn't obvious:

He is stretching and moving his legs a lot. Do greyhounds move and adjust a lot when they sleep, or is he just moving because it hurts? As well, any general advice you all have would be well appreciated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

david_a posted:

Edit: I’ve never dealt with a rescue so I can’t help you there, but if you don’t know anything about greyhounds I highly recommend Lee Livingood’s book. It’s the go-to manual for most adoption groups. They are weird dogs even without the added complications of Omi’s background.

Thank you so much for the book recommendation. I picked up a digital copy and will look through it.

Veskit posted:

I'm happy you found him! He already looks like a good boy even in his condition. I couldn't image a greyhound being a fighter, and this one seems sweet. Where there any tracks near where you found him?

He was found in a rural community just outside my city (Santiago, Chile) that I'm not super familiar with, but races are legal here so I assume there must be a track or two around. He is supposedly the typical age of an ex-racer, so that is the most likely background.
Anyway, he seems relatively comfortable now, and earlier took a massive dump, so at the moment things are going well

actionjackson posted:

how are all the open cuts being treated?

Of course he has a course of anti-biotics (among other meds) and the vet gave us an ointment called Mixantip Plus, basically anti-biotic, anti-allergy, anti-inflammatory, etc, to apply directly on the open wounds

Redczar fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 21, 2021