Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

This thread is making me want a greyhound as my first dog. How prevalent are the bladder issues though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

RazorBunny posted:

That's really only a problem for the Italian Greyhounds, which are the toy breed. Whippets and greyhounds shouldn't have any issues holding it for the length of a normal workday and again through the night.

Awesome. I just want a big ol skinnydog.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

This thread has me 95% convinced to rescue a greyhound after I move in to my new house. I think I'll get a black one, because I keep reading that black greyhounds are adopted less often for some reason.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Oh wow that's a good looking dog.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I think the pet nutrition thread put it best:

quote:

If you aren't sure but think maybe your pet might be a little chubby, then your pet is probably an enormous fatass because most pets are. Most people are so accustomed to ottoman-shaped pets that they think healthy pets look super skinny.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I hung out at a greyhound rescue yesterday for a bit and met some dogs. I had no idea what was going on with the teeth chattering until I looked it up later. At the time I was thinking "oh god this dog is flipping its poo poo!"

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Nice Davis posted:

I think it's important to remember how this thread began:

Thank you for starting this thread, and for sharing Union with us. I am going to be getting a greyhound in a couple months, and while it will be really sad whenever she or he has to move on, you and everyone in this thread has shown me that a greyhound is definitely the right choice for me.

Definitely thanks for the thread. Reading through this 100% convinced me to adopt a greyhound.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

:stare:

Dear god that's awful.

...does Gracie have one eye?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

RazorBunny posted:

Are you brushing him? I found that frequent brushing during the crappy track coat phase helped a lot. I bought a soft curry comb and a face finishing brush, both intended for horses, and it worked much better than any of the dog brushes I've tried. Plus he really liked it :)

I noticed all the dogs at the rescue had a hilariously bare rear end. I'm assuming it fills in later after some coddling in a proper home?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Definitely post a video. Hell, post anything. With my house closing at the end of the month plus an entire week off work in December, I plan on bringing a greyhound home on said week. Quickly approaching maximum hype here.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I may be getting a greyhound later this month. What do they absolutely need for cold weather? I'm definitely getting a coat of some kind.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Haha looks like the coat should be enough then. Here in NC it rarely goes below 30°F.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I finally did it. In two weeks or so, I'll be taking this dog home:

She's 4 years old, just finished racing in early December. All the other dogs were somewhat aloof, but she was the only one to stand by me and get petted constantly. Also when I walked her, she put her ears together straight up and pointed them around like some sort of radar dish.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I'll have to think of one, since she only has her racing name. I'm leaning toward Lana, since my last name is also Kane (hopefully someone will catch the reference).

So what do you guys feed your dogs? I was going to just pick something like Canidae off the top tier list in the dog nutrition thread.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Fuzz Feets posted:

Various Cheeses, and word on your girl?

Currently asleep in her crate.

Picked her up yesterday afternoon. She was absolutely terrified of going down stairs, but she could go up them pretty easily. As a result, she peed in my bedroom when I was trying to coax her down the stairs. Also she was afraid of her crate right up until the very end of the night when she finally went inside and slept.

This morning, however, I carried her straight downstairs and baited the stairs with food for an hour or so - now she goes right up and down them with no problems at all. Gotta work on separation anxiety though. I put her in the crate while I showered for 10-15 minutes and when I turned the water off I could hear her howling constantly. She likes to follow me around the entire house, so when I leave for work it's going to be rough I think.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

My dog has buttworms. Super gross dude.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

rhoga posted:

Also, a pic of Tess trying to get off the couch.

It took her a while.

Mine likes to do the opposite of that. Front legs on the couch and back legs on the floor because she can't figure out how to get them up there. It's ridiculous.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

She seems to follow me around all the time and just sleep in whatever room I end up in. Also I think she's gone from wanting to chase tiny dogs to being afraid of tiny dogs.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

skoolmunkee posted:

Oh my goodnesssssss :3: Man I can't believe what sweethearts every greyhound is.

Union hated being under blankets! How long did she put up with that?

Nah she liked it. Really there isn't a lot she won't put up with - except for other dogs so far.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I do wish she'd stop jumping up on my bed and laying down on my pillow. I mean it's cute, but dude seriously there were tapeworm pieces coming out of your rear end not even seven days ago and I PUT MY FACE THERE FOR 7+ HOURS AT A TIME.

Gross dude.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Took half the day off work. Here's what's going on:

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Interesting. The only time I've ever seen Lana growl at anyone/anything is when she got another dog's rawhide and started chewing it. She growled at the other dog and then growled at anyone else that tried to take it from her.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Costco brand. Merrick made my dog farty as hell and it's ridiculously expensive.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I've noticed Lana only likes her toys that squeak too. Do they train greyhounds with squeaky toys or what?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

My dog had a dream and started howling last night at 4am. Since she was asleep, her mouth was shut, and it sounded creepy as gently caress. Dammit dog.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

slap me silly posted:

Yesterday my dog found a rabbit nest! He and the hawk have an arrangement apparently, he mauls a baby rabbit until it's dead and then the hawk carries off the corpse. Sorry no horrible pics since this isn't GBS. Anyway all that's left now is some baby rabbit juice.

Wow. The worst thing my dog did so far was poo poo then immediately get distracted and step in it.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

pastor of muppets posted:

Part of me feels like I need to just stop being a weenie and let her off on her own at the dog park. I was worried about some deep-seated prey drive kicking in, but she doesn't seem to have any weird triggers towards certain types of dogs so far. I usually meet a friend there, and she's noted that since her dog Maddie has started hanging around Rory, Maddie's manners towards other dogs have improved significantly!

Mine seems absolutely fine with any and all other dogs, including the smallest and shittiest chihuahuas one of my neighbors owns. She'll do a backflip and try as hard as possible to break her own neck if she sees a cat while we're walking though.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Lhet posted:

Took Remy to a huge dog park yesterday; turns out he loves water (at least wading and splashing around in it).

He also made the first vocalization I've heard so far (aside from some a couple yelps/whines while dreaming). After spending some time at the shore I put him back on leash to return to the car, and a poodle mix ('Goldendoodle' probably) sniffed him, then started barking and hopping up and down in front of him. He growled in reply and I pulled him past the other dog, pretty sure he was entirely justified there. Other than that, he did just fine socializing offleash.

My dog rarely makes noises outside of sleep, but if another dog keeps sniffing her face for way too long she'll let out a nasty bark. I've never seen her snap or growl, just one bark like "hey gently caress off". She's made an incredibly loud yelp for no reason once or twice, I'm guessing she hit the wrong spot while scratching herself or something.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Lana ran out the door at a friend's place in another town. I thought she was going to book it to Mexico or wherever dogs go when they run away. Instead she tore rear end around a couple of houses and came back to the door. Also pooped. What a relief.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

It was cold on my trip in the mountains this past weekend, so I had to make do with a friend's hoodie.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Holy crap the most ridiculous thing happened. I took Lana out to poo, and she did so in the usual area... however one turd gets stuck halfway and she couldn't seem to get it out. She started pacing back and forth, squatting every few steps, then just kind of gave up and ran over to me like nothing was wrong. I was like oh poo poo no please don't brush that thing up against my leg and led her toward the back of the house to find a stick or something to poke it. As I walked back there, she sprinted ahead of me and ran down a hill and squatted again - this time firing out several poos with a really loud yelp.

When I took a closer look, I noticed there was some red in it. It wasn't blood. It was the leg off a stuffed giraffe chew toy she ate while at my friend's house at least five weeks ago.

Dogs are loving crazy.
:stare:

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Gently used and irregular dogs for sale.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Mine requires assistance, but she likes it.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Mine sleeps all day while I'm at work, then sleeps all day when I get home so I'd say pretty well.

Results vary dog to dog though I'm sure.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

If you break line of sight with your dog it will despawn and you'll have to start the adoption process from scratch.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

gninjagnome posted:

Mine has a couple times by accident because she's a wuss about the cold and hate when her butt touches snow. We'll let her out, but if we don't watch her, sometimes she'll pretend to go, and just comes back in real quick. Then she just pees on the carpet if we don't immediately let her out in the morning.

Hahaha last year when we had that snowstorm, mine refused to poo in the snow (probably having never seen it before). She ended up making GBS threads while walking in the middle of the street where it was plowed, like some kind of Jackass video.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Who here has a male greyhound and how often does he piss on his own feet?

It's pretty hilarious.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Fuzz Feets posted:

P.S. This thread needs more dog pics.

My dog, moments before attacking a French magazine..

She did that with the blanket by herself somehow.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

So basically it's like owning three cats, except one won't pee in a box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Mine goes nuts for cats (although less so in the past year), but doesn't care at all for my friend's tiny 15lb dog.

Also getting her teeth cleaned tomorrow. FInally, my dog's face won't smell like an open grave!