Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
I've been lurking here for a while, enjoying all of the beautiful pictures. Me and my husband are planning to get a greyhound this Thursday after months of waiting, so I decided I would finally join the party. I am looking for a soft sided crate for her, since we travel a lot, and go to family homes on some weekends. We already own a metal folding crate, so I was wondering if anyone would suggest a specific type of soft sided crate for traveling, or if it's really just better to deal with the heavy metal crate and just keep the one instead of having a spare. I know that greyhounds are so large that sometimes it's difficult to find a good sized crate, so if anyone has a specific type they prefer, we could use some suggestions!!

Also, as soon as we get here we're planning on posting some pictures. Although you guys will recognize immediately that she is one of molotov's grand pups. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
Rory looks adorable. Congrats on three weeks! Today is Tatianna's one week celebration. When I left this morning she was joyfully bounding around dad, trying to convince him to race her. She's been quite perky lately, hopefully due to getting used to us. Even at the vet for her check up and everything, she was super happy and relaxed.

And to the person who said she looks like a proper lady, here's her on her way to rehearsal. As you can tell, she's very sassy. And what you can't see is her irritation at us singing in the front seat.

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
I actually made that one by hand, so I can't complain too much about it's shoddy work. Tatianna will lay down on it even without the chevron pillow, but she likes it much better with her pillow in it. Do you have a link to your seat belt harness thing? She refuses to lay down in my husband's car at all, and I would like her to not go flying if something happens. :ohdear:

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
We are just a few days shy of three weeks with Tatianna! She has officially mastered (most) stairs, and will go up and down them to find us if we leave her alone too much. She has shown no incredible attachment to schedules and routine, which is great, because we lead somewhat strangely timed lives. She's eating well, anywhere we feed her, she's learning what kongs are, and loves everything that squeaks. I call her Musclebutt every time she stretches, because her legs and thighs are so huge, and they aren't going to get smaller anytime soon if she keeps eating the way she does. :allears:

But we're looking to start training soon. She doesn't have any issues at all, I would just like to see her do cool things. So do any of you guys have tricks you started with on greyhounds? I would normally start with sit for any other dog, but I know greyhounds don't like sitting as much as other dogs do. And do you have any treats your hounds go crazy for?

And I haven't seen any pictures lately, not to call anyone out specifically. :colbert:

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
A greyhound issue that might be a separation anxiety issue as well?

When we first got Tatianna she loved her crate. She would spend the majority of the time in her crate if given a choice. And as she's gotten more at home, and (honestly) we've gotten more beds for her to lay around the house on, she no longer lays in her crate very often. However, since she doesn't like being home alone, and she's had a few potty accidents and chewed up some blinds, we don't prefer to leave her out while we're gone. So now she's back to being left home alone in the crate. We only ever close the crate door when we're leaving the house and now she's put together that when we ask her to go to her crate, we're leaving. And now she's refusing to go into her crate on her own, although doesn't react badly to being led into her crate. So how should we maintain her comfort with the crate? I know when you train them, treats and toys can be used in the crate. Should we just randomly crate her while we're home during the day? Her separation anxiety might be affected by the fact that my husband is home all day, and she gets to lay near him all day as well.

Also, we bought "Don't Leave Me" for the separation anxiety and it just came in yesterday. Work will begin immediately.

e: for clarity

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
We have officially determined that she just has isolation anxiety. Which is slightly better than separation anxiety because at least she will be fine if we leave her at a friend's house who has dogs. But we're moving soon, so has anyone else had any luck helping a grey over isolation distress? Or do most of you guys have more than one animal? I know most people who get greys get more than one (because how could you resist, really...) so how may "companions" do your greys have?

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
With winter coming up, does anyone have suggestions for dog coats that work well for greyhounds? Last year I didn't have to worry about it, but Tatianna's day care is mostly outside, open play, and I don't want her outside for multiple hours in the cold without something. Note, this is Texas, so when I say cold winter, I mean high forties low fifties. Anything less than that and they know to bring her in and crate her with a blanket.

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
I loved that sweater and I'm saving up for it . Right now I kinda stiched together a hoodie from goodwill that's working out really well until then.

We got some bad news at the vet today. Tatianna started limping last thursday, and we took her to the vet today when it didn't get better over the weekend. No formal results yet, but our vet is nearly certain, and we're moving forward with treatment for osteosarcoma. She has an appointment with the Texas A&M small animal oncology department on Tuesday. It sucks so bad to get the diagnosis this holiday season. But we're now looking at our options. Pain management, or amputation and chemotherapy. Does anyone here have experience/know of anyone who's been here before? In general the Internet seems conflicted and we want to get some opinions before the appointment Tuesday.

Also Gucci is Super Adorable, and I hope she has you wrapped around her finger where you should be.

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
An update! Tatianna was diagnosed, and then had the amputation a literal week later. it's now been a week since the amputation and she's doing beautifully. We're back to the beginning with stairs, as she has lost most of her confidence and isn't sure how to approach them with only one front leg. She has an appointment with her oncologist at Texas A&M on the 20th as well to discuss chemotherapy. All in all, she is handling everything much better than we are, and has become even more of a bossy queen. Since she got a burger the day of her diagnosis, she seems to think that all burgers that we get to go are meant for her. And the fries. And the bed should also basically belong to her. It's become very much a "give a mouse a cookie" situation over here, and she knows she has us whipped.

Pictures of her hop-a-long walking will be posted as soon as she looks less like a 2 year old who played with the electric razor.

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
How is Jake feeling?

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
She's doing really well actually! She finished up chemo, and has started her low dose chemo. She moves around great, except for stairs of course. We've mostly given up on stairs, and just carry her up. She tends to get hurt if she tries. BUT, huge change, we got another dog! We had been talking about it for a while before we brought him home, but we thought that having another dog might cheer her up anyway. She was super happy when he came home, and I'm fairly sure she likes him. At least she certainly did until he discovered squeeky toys. She is less happy about the lack of quiet now. Update photo dump with new pup Regulus!!

Tatianna, still happy

on the way home!

Regulus is actually Tatianna's son, and he just came off the track. We got pretty lucky that we got along with her breeder, and she emailed me that he had failed racing. He happy and healthy which is lucky. I've never fostered a dog right off the track but I'm not working right now some I'm able to work with him at home alone. The only problem we have is that he's started eating the squeakys from his toys. He has vomited up the only one we thing he actually swallowed, but he keeps trying. Does anyone have a good way to redirect so that he plays with it but doesn't destroy it?

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
Update: Tatianna is staying the night at an evet for iv fluids and observation. The vet has completely eliminated HGE since she had a normal stool with them. They think it was myoglobin in the urine which they did find later on again, although reduced later in the day. It seems like she has some sort of muscle trama, and she's been lying on one side too much? There's not something specific we can point to for why she won't get up or why she can't seem to put weight on her back legs. The evet is doing an exam now.

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
Final update (now with answers!):

Tatianna is home now, relaxing. Regulus is a daycare and staying far away from her for just a bit. He's a bit rambunctious and she's in a delicate state.

Early this morning they were able to find a focal point of the pain, the right hip, and do some xrays. She has a new bone lesion on the top of that femur. They think her injury went something like this: she's been in some pain from the bone lesion for a while, but since she already walks strangely, neither Cason nor I noticed. Sometime during our vacation while she was at boarding, she fell onto that hip, causing more pain and making her not want to stand, or walk to get water. She spent too much time laying down and wasn't drinking enough. On tuesday, she had an accident on herself, with very concentrated urine, and with something (a protein I think? Can't recall what they called it) that was from the deep tissue damage. So it was very very dark and red urine, which they mistook for blood. At the vet, they got her on fluids, immediately noting she was dehydrated, eliminated HGE after she had a normal stool, but could track down what hurt her precisely.

Now we have a few options. Radiation therapy, to deaden the nerves and reduce pain. Pricy but pretty effective. Or give injections of a osteoporosis medication to slow the bone deterioration, with gabapentin and tramadol for pain. Or just the pain meds at home. We are taking time to think about it but we will probably do the injections and pain meds.

Everyone keeps asking us to let them know if they can do something for us. Other than find a quick cure for cancer, or invent doggie hip relapcements on the cheap, I don't know what to say. The injections won't be cheap, and we've blowing through our savings for the amputation and chemo. So that's hard. Luckily my in laws offered to help with the e-vet bill. But I'm thinking about starting a go fund me for her. Does anyone have any experience with go fund me and pet care?

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
Tatianna is doing so much better! It's been really strange because you can tell that she is irritated at what she's struggling with too. She still has some difficulty laying down on her own and getting up, but even her success rate of those things keeps going up. This morning she was laying down and we put her food bowl in front of her and she got irritated and struggled like she wanted to stand up. So I helped her up and she walked to her raised feeder and looked at us like we were criminals for not feeding her correctly. Before today she hadn't been able to stand long enough or steady enough to eat. So she's getting loads better. And she didn't whine in the night to go out, for the first time in a week. Maybe I'm just optimistic from getting a proper nights sleep but she is killing it.

Although her farts are getting deadlier.

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
Update: On Wednesday, Tatianna went to day care to hang out. Usually she just gets to lay in the front office and chill with the staff. We had had a vet appointment that morning to discuss increasing her meds because she seemed to be in a bit more pain. She was fine that day, running around, got a bath. Sometime around 5, our friend who works at the day care tried to help her up to go to the bathroom. She seemed to stumble and then wouldn't try to get up anymore. Husband picked her up about 45 minutes later and she was just chilling on her bed. Still refused to get up. He just carried her to the car on the pillow. Brought her inside the house. I saw her, looked at the leg with the newer tumor and knew something was wrong. We took her to the emergency room immediately. She was still quite chipper, actually. Sitting up in the car, looking around and giving kisses. Whined a bit, and snapped when I tried to move the leg to look more closely. They did xrays and confirmed the leg was broken. A clean break through the tumor. We chose to put her down that night so she wouldn't be in too much pain.

She was the best dog I've ever had. We knew this was coming but drat it hurts.

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
Regulus is enjoying being an only child wayyy too much.

Last night he came up to me while me and spouse were watching tv to get pets. We're sitting side by side. He puts one front paw on the couch, then the other. Then just JUMPS onto into both our laps and lays down on top of us with his bony self. So of course, spouse gets him a pillow. Because now we need to spoil him? :argh:

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
Iowa peeps? Anyone here? I heard a rumor of an awesome dog that will be headed your way! If anyone is looking to add a burgerdog to their house, Pokemon episode is healing from a broken leg. It absolutely KILLS me to not be able to take him in. He is also one of Tatianna's puppies, so a practical guarantee of awesome dog if pedigrees say anything. Any interested parties can let me know and I'll make sure to let you know which rescue he will be going too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
Right!!?? And his breeder was like, if it's just financial reasons I will give yall 500 to help take care of him because I know you two will love him so much. But spouse is too heartsore/2 young male dogs seems like a lot.

My soul died a little when we had to say no. :(