Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
This is a stupid question, but something I've always been curious about and don't care enough to look up on Google.

How are Greyhounds at swimming? I have always wondered how a track dog would react to something like that and if they would even know what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

RazorBunny posted:

They tend to sink like rocks. I don't know if it's the low body fat or what, but they don't have a lot of natural buoyancy. Maybe if you put a life jacket on them to help them float they could be good swimmers. They do have very powerful legs after all, and streamlined bodies.

Husker enjoyed splashing around in the little kiddie pools they had at the dog park, and I've known other greyhounds that liked to play with water, so I imagine some of them might enjoy it.

Ah, kind of what I figured. I'm a little surprised they are not afraid to go into water though.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
So I'm about 90% sure that I will adopt a greyhound sometime (as in the next few months, not right away) after I return to the USA next week.

However, the group I'm looking to adopt from notes "not suitable for apartment" after pretty much every dog on their website. I will be looking for work in the Seattle area so will absolutely be living in an apartment, but I was under the impression greyhounds do pretty well in an apartment. Just to be sure thought maybe I'd check with you guys.

I guess what I'm most concerned about is how greyhounds deal with being alone in an apartment alone for standard 8 hour work shifts.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Trauma Tank posted:

I'd imagine most of them would probably be fine. You may need to do some adjustment with pee schedules/etc for a few weeks as they will likely be used to eliminating more often at the rescue. You'd be well served by coming home at lunch time if possible, or having someone check in with the dog and take it out.

The rescue I got Jet from asked that I come home from work at lunch to let him out each day, and that schedule works well for Jet. Some days he doesn't pee when I come home at midday, and so he could probably be fine with being left for a whole work day, but on the whole it seems a safer option to come home at midday, given that we had a few issues the first few weeks home.

Ah, yeah that sounds like a good idea. I'll have to keep that in mind when I start looking around. Thanks for the information.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

RazorBunny posted:

One of the rescues we talked to wouldn't adopt to anyone with a fence that was less than five feet tall. And one wouldn't adopt to us because the person who would be taking the dog out in the middle of the afternoon was our teenage son - they wanted an adult to come home mid-day and walk the dog. A third just wanted to basically give us a dog sight unseen with no temperament testing or anything, just "Here's a random greyhound, hope it doesn't eat your cat!"

So yeah, rescues have a wide variety of ideas and requirements.

Yeah, I'm starting to notice this while looking around on the net for a decent place to check out. This is the one I was referring to earlier:

http://www.greyhoundpetsinc.org/

They seem to regularly have dogs, and are more active than the other groups I've seen online.

Looking at their site again it looks like any dog under 3 years of age they will not adopt out to an apartment. I can probably circumvent that by telling them I will be living at my parents house (which I will be for awhile).