Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

This is Mona:

You can tell she's a bad rear end by her tattoo:

Based on this artist's rendition, we're pretty sure we know what Mona would have done if she wasn't a racer:

Mona is totally cool about meeting horses:

But is afraid of kittens, who are clearly trying and eat her:

Turns out Mona was a terrible racer (only 7 races, most finishing 6th or 7th), so now she leads a hard life, sleeping and stalking the humans:

Mona knows one trick (balancing food on her head):
http://youtu.be/4nTZSX5529A

Edit:

Kojiro posted:

Honestly surprised she ate the bun, do dogs usually like bread?
Mona is obsessed with bread - we use it as her high value treat sometimes. A warm pretzel is the only food she's ever jumped up to try and take out of our hands.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

As always, it also depends on the particular dog. Ours handles changes in routine pretty well. We take her on vacation with us, and she doesn't have any trouble adjusting to a hotel/cabin/new house , and being on a weird schedule. She was only on the track for a short period of time (got her when she was 2.5), which probably factors into it.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

It's also neat, because you can see pictures of your grey's parents and siblings.

I totally misremembered Mona's racing history. She was a way worse racer than I thought: 1/7 in 2nd, 1 in 5th, 1 in 6th and a whopping 4/7 races in 8th. It's funny because when I run with her, she'll totally look back to make sure she's not in front of me. Definitely not the trait you want in your racing dog.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

First time Mona was allowed to walk up to a river, she decided to make herself comfortable:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Now that you mention it, the guy that hauls the greyhounds from the various tracks to my rescue gave a talk at a picnic once. In it, he said that a the tracks he works with, after the greys race, they make them run into a long pool to cool down. Some love it, some have to be prodded to go in. Not sure if every track does this though, but I think greys have seen large pools of water.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I love mona's ears - they're very expressive:

They're normally backwards:

But sometimes she pretends she's a real greyhound and has them go back. It's actually kinda funny, because she'll do this when she's around other greys - like she's trying to fit in:

Then other times, they're just flopping around:

I need a good pic of them standing straight up - they're huge.

Also - I have way to many pictures of Mona.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 15, 2013

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

skoolmunkee posted:

I usually just say something like "the vet says she's the perfect weight" which seems to work.

I do the same, and it usually works for strangers. But it doesn't help with my parents or in-laws, since Mona is super greedy and constantly looking for food. We have to constantly explain to them that she'll keep eating if given the chance. This is a dog that ate 40 dumplings in 5 min (around 2-3lbs of pork, plus equivalent volume of cabbage). You could actually see her stomach was visibly bigger.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Sorry to hear about Union, maybe this will cheer you up:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mona got comfortable with us pretty quickly, but it took well over a year for her personality to emerge. It's really amazing how much more confident and playful she is now, especially with other dogs. We have some friends we see once or twice a year, and they've made comments on how much more personable she is.

Honestly, the best thing for her was letting her stay for a week with a friends Lab. Like, the constant exposure to another dog made something click for her.

RazorBunny posted:

Ariel is also the politest dog ever about taking treats, I love it.

The polite treat taking is the greatest thing - it really throws people off. I don't think my hands have ever made contact with Mona's teeth or tongue while giving her a treat.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 7, 2013

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mona grew a little hair back, but her stomach and back of her legs are completely bald.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

It's pretty normal to have balding on a greyhound. Mona's belly and back of her legs are completely bald:

Once she starts to shed, she sheds a huge amount of fur, and the bald area gets a bit bigger (or at least so thin, it seems to be bigger).

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

alucinor posted:

There's a good reason for this, though, so don't try to circumvent it. Most of the younger greyhounds are fresh off track. They have NO inside manners, no understanding of things like stairs and televisions and windows, and may not even be particularly well housebroken except for in regards to their own crate.

Isn't this the same regardless of whether they are in a house or an apartment? I would have thought younger greys would be easier to adjust to a home or apartment, since they weren't at the track that long, so they would be less accustomed to that routine.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Well, I can't speak for all greyhounds, but when I look at Mona, I can tell she is plotting to murder me once she finishes her naps.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Pig Head posted:

Wonder if that's a habit that will go away.

Mona would hang out in hers most of the day anyway if she wasn't being crated. Then we decided to let her onto the love seat. Now, she spends it there if she has a choice. So really, I think it's just a matter of them finding somewhere more comfortable than the crate.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Fuzz Feets posted:

I come to this thread to humbly request more pictures please. Thanks!

We took Mona to Boston earlier this year.

The hotel came with a pretty comfy dog bed.

But after we made her walk around all day, she couldn't quite make it to the bed after we fed her:

edit:
Bonus - waiting around on the streets of Boston while the wife was in a store:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Yeah it took Adam 2-3 months to learn how to jump on/off stuff. I guess tracks must be pretty flat places. Before then I'd bust my rear end hauling him up into the car. Now he splits his time between his bed and mine.

When I was researching greys before I got Mona, I read somewhere that a lot of tracks stack their crates, so some greys are used to jumping up, and some never have to. Not sure how true it is, but Mona didn't need any training to jump on stuff.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mona was hilarious at the baby shower we threw at our place this weekend. 20 or so adults, 7 kids under the age of 6 running around, and she just sprawled out in the middle of the living room and took a nap. I wish I took a picture, but I was too busy running around.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Meowenstein posted:

I've been thinking about getting a dog, and hearing about how greyhounds are a good sized breed that do well in apartments is making me consider one. I'm also looking for a fishing companion and a general outdoor adventure buddy, though. My fishing trips are pretty lazy and mostly consist of sitting on the riverbank or lake shore enjoying the outdoors. I also live in Iowa so there's all kinds of weather here. Would a greyhound work well in this situation, or would a different breed be more suitable?

Greys aren't the greatest hiking/outdoor adventure dogs, but I think it would be OK with what you're describing. We take Mona on short hikes (less than a mile) , and she's fine with it. Turns out she likes rivers, and will just sit and chill in the water. The most we've ever gotten her go is about 2 miles, and she was pretty beat afterwards.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I just throw Mona 's fleece coat on if it's below 50F. I contemplated getting boots, mainly to keep the salt off her paws, but didn't bother. We've been fine getting through NJ winters.

We have a lighter jacket if it's raining, but that's more because she hates to be out in the rain.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Wow, Mona does not like the cold or snow right now. She normally loves her walks, but right now, she just keeps turning around to get back inside.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Gonna introduce Mona to the new baby today!

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Berryblood posted:

I need to make this for dog shaming/it makes me laugh/it's cold and he needs a hat purposes. That's beautiful.

I got it from Alibar Dog Knits, they make them to help raise money for a Galgos rescue in Spain. The post them on their facebook group, and take requests periodically through the year.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Fuzz Feets posted:

Gninjagnome, how did it go with the baby and Mona?

Mona took one look in the pack and play with the baby in it when she came home, then went to take a nap on her couch. She's basically ignored the baby since we've been home. We've let her approach the baby a couple times, and she's just taken a sniff then wandered off. All and all, nothing interesting to report (which overall is a good thing).

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Hah, we basically did the same thing with Mona. First night, we gated her in the hallway so she could see us, but wasn't in the room (we had a cat then and were nervous what they'd get up to at night). She was fine till 1 AM, then flipped out trying to get into the room. Second night, was a crate in our room, which was just way to noisy. Third night was just on dog bed on the floor.

This is what Mona is forced to sleep on now:

We also did the web cam thing when we first got her too, and it was the same - whining for about 30 min, then just sleeping all day.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I'll lie down in it sometimes, and it is super comfy :)

It's been a slowly evolving process. Started off with just a dog bed, then we added an old comforter and some pillows. The back board was added cause she rolls around a lot, and was starting to scratch up the wall. Then we bought another dog bed, and put it on the other side of of our bed, but moved it onto her bed when we moved the crib into the bedroom when the baby came.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mona did the growl thing with the first rawhide we gave her. So we held off on giving her more. We rather quickly learned that bread was the highest value treat we could give her, so after teaching her leave it, we started using leave it to exchange the raw hide for bread. She's now cool with us taking the raw hide from her.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

a life less posted:

Costco has memory foam bath mats that fit a large crate really nicely...

Are those easy to clean?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mona doesn't have accidents often, but after the second time we had to throw out a bed, we just started using piles of fleece blanket in her crate. We can just hose those off and then throw them in the wash. An actual bed might be nice, since she moves the blankets around alot.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Once it starts getting warmer, we comb out loose hair from Mona's coat. There's a surprising amount of fur that comes out for a week or two, then it stops. I suppose it'd shed out if we didn't comb it, but it's pretty manageable.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

We've gone blue buffalo lamb and rice. Been pretty happy with the results.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mona love sitting for whatever reason. We didn't teach her to do it though - we left her at a friends house for a weekend, and she came back knowing how to sit by watching their dog getting treats for sitting.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I'm so glad Mona's fosters taught her stairs. Ours don't have backs, and it freaks out dogs that know what to do. I can't imagine training a grey on them.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mona is naturally camouflaged for our dog park.

It took her a solid year of going to our park once a week (and some full time with a friends dog) before Mona really got the dog park. Now she loves meeting people there, and playing with other dogs. I've gotten a lot of comments that she's super social for a greyhound.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

It's possible that he's just trying to get treats, but Mona sometimes gets trapped outside if we leave the screendoor open to our deck. She'll just stand there, waiting for us to open it, then start to whine that we're not letting her in the house. If we then close the screen and open it again, she gets confused as to what just happened and freezes in place outside outside. We end up just pushing her into the house. It doesn't happen every time, but it's happened more then once.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I started panicking last night when I woke up and Mona wasn't in her bed, and wasn't by the bedroom door wanting to be let out. Turns out, she decided the pile of close in my closet would make a nice place to sleep. Guess I need to tidy up.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mona will do that too. We bought her a kiddie pool to lie in during the summer.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I know, greyhounds are at risk for pannus, which is an eye disorder (Mona has it, and we treat it with eye drops), so there may be other eye things that may pop up.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I wouldn't take the groups advice, seems like there's a high likelihood it would make things worse. The main thing is not to rush with the training. Mona was really possessive about raw hides when we first got her. We stayed away from them until we taught her leave it. Mona values bread above all other things, so we would just keep trading up for the raw hide until her possessiveness basically disappeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I'm saddened by the fact that Mona doesn't let her tongue hang out like that.