Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

What a cutie! He looks a LOT like my Ty, right down to the head spot. Does he have Molotov in his line? That dude throws cookie cutter grandpups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Skizzles posted:

We can go back to happy greyhound things.

On Monday Ty went out to pee, and as usual he stopped to snifsnifsnif at a bush where a chipmunk lives. After a few minutes I realized he was still standing there, staring. I went over to see, and there was an itty bitty baby bird about 1' from his nose. Two happy things: He didn't eat it, and didn't try to take it when I picked it up to put it back in the nest. (It's still up there doing fine).

Good boy Ty.

SUCH NOBLE DOG.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
My boy Petey turns 11 on the 8th, it's also the 6th month anniversary of his adoption day.

What indulgences can I feed a farty old man with a sensitive tummy for his birthday?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

RazorBunny posted:

Yogurt! Unsweetened, unflavored, regular-fat yogurt. It's very gentle on the guts (and even beneficial!) and dogs seem to really love the stuff.

Excellent. He loves canned pumpkin too so maybe an unsweetened pumpkin-yogurt smoothie "cake". :)

skoolmunkee posted:

What a lovely boy. :3 You only adopted him 6 months ago? What is his story?

We started looking in February. I was raised with wolfhounds and IGs, but these are the first dogs either of us (40 yr olds) have owned as adults, so we were planning on looking for a long time and taking it really slow. I had mentally put a fall timeline on adoption.

A week after our interview we got an email about 2 new dogs who had showed up in the rescue - an 8 year old and a 10.5 year old. They had been adopted, lived together for 5 years, and then their owners got divorced. The rescue couldn't find a foster to take them both, so they separated them. Petey, the old one, ended up as a single dog and apparently wasn't very happy about it. So despite the fact that we wanted to start with a single, smaller female, suddenly we had two giant boys:

Best decision ever. They are good boys in every way imaginable. :3:

They aren't super friendly or playful with each other like most social animals are - but goddamn do they freak out when they are separated. I'm really glad we could get them back together.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

HappyHelmet posted:

Looking at their site again it looks like any dog under 3 years of age they will not adopt out to an apartment. I can probably circumvent that by telling them I will be living at my parents house (which I will be for awhile).

There's a good reason for this, though, so don't try to circumvent it. Most of the younger greyhounds are fresh off track. They have NO inside manners, no understanding of things like stairs and televisions and windows, and may not even be particularly well housebroken except for in regards to their own crate.

Just ask for an older dog. Especially one who has already been adopted once and trained by the former owners. My 8 and 11 year olds would be perfect apartment dogs. There is no way in hell I will ever adopt a fresh-off-the-track dog, even in a house, much less into an apartment.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

skoolmunkee posted:

Unless by fresh off the tracks you mean no time in kennels, fosters, or social time with volunteers or other rescue dogs at all.

That's how my rescue does it. Some dogs go directly from the track to their first home with no additional socialization. If you can get one that's been pre-socialized or in foster at all, that's way different.

gninjagnome posted:

Isn't this the same regardless of whether they are in a house or an apartment? I would have thought younger greys would be easier to adjust to a home or apartment, since they weren't at the track that long, so they would be less accustomed to that routine.

Again, just speaking in relation to the rescue I adopted from - the dogs up here are born to the track, raised in kennels; they never live in a home situation prior to fostering/adoption after they retire from racing.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

RazorBunny posted:

This can be a good way to get a dog that doesn't warn you before it bites the poo poo out of you, by the way.

My rescue recommended a similar thing. "If he growls you need to punish him!" They were all about Showing Your Dominance too.

In happier news, my mom sent me a bunch of postcards of greyhounds. I think most of these are from the 40's, probably collected when she was a girl in Germany, except the lady which is a 1985 postcard of a 1930 picture.

Enjoy!

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

actionjackson posted:

Pills are so fun to give a dog when you don't have any pill pockets, and they don't like having their head lifted!

Mine wolf down their pills in a teaspoon of cottage cheese, yogurt, pumpkin, or even a chunk of banana.

Pretty much anything actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

I just don't know what else to do.

For starters, I'm afraid you need to muzzle him any time he's even POTENTIALLY going to be around other dogs, since this is his second incident. At least until you find a better solution.

I know you were concerned about him being defenseless if another dog attacks him, but either he "wins" like he did these two and you feel terrible about him tearing up someone's dog (or worse), or he "loses" and gets a few wounds before you can separate them, which the other guy is on the hook for. Maybe greys are different and they don't mind being the only one wearing a muzzle; maybe he'll start less poo poo with a muzzle on. Look at spoon daddy's pic, nearly every dog is muzzled; every grey gathering I've seen has been like that, even most meets between single dogs. Many of the owners I know who live in the more urban areas of town even muzzle on their daily leashed walks.

How busy is your dog park? Before you try a non-dog area, can you go at the crack of dawn on Sundays or whatever, if that's the only time it's empty enough that you don't have so many other dogs to contend with? That's when we take our reactive boy. We stay as close as possible to him, and leash up and head towards the door ASAP when we see someone coming in who doesn't look in control of their dog. It's a hell of a lot more work for us, but it's kept Ty from eating anyone so far.

Edit to fix grammar, mellow out.

alucinor fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 31, 2014