Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I would expect some variety but I wouldn't count on depth or a real need to be super versatile with crafting. I think it's more just like, ok, I have a bat. I hit 10 dudes. The bat breaks. I make a new bat. Maybe this bat has nails on it. The bat breaks after 15 kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I think it's not going to have you scavenge for food because it's mainly story based and seems linear. Only consumables like health, ammo, and crafting stuff I would think be carried on from place to place.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Feenix posted:

I would expect some variety but I wouldn't count on depth or a real need to be super versatile with crafting. I think it's more just like, ok, I have a bat. I hit 10 dudes. The bat breaks. I make a new bat. Maybe this bat has nails on it. The bat breaks after 15 kills.

I don't think you're crafting weapons much, you scavenge those. Maybe you add some nails to a bat or something but it'd be a bit weird to be building actual weapons right there. I think it'll be making the best use of stuff you craft like molotovs, explosives, distractions and such to get into a position where you can mop up the last few guys in a now thinned out group of enemies with half a brick or your two shotgun shells that you've found. At least I hope. I bet the weapons break quicker than 10 dudes as well and they'll be more like very temporary boosts that you take advantage of to get into a better position and then discard.

Edit: This is assuming all their talk of making combat more meaningful and deadly is true.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 30, 2013

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

How about The Last Goon

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

the last of unf unf unf

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

I remember seeing a preview of this game what seems like two years ago and being bothered by the fact that the 14 year old girl sounds like she's voiced by a woman in her 30's (actually late 20's, apparently). On the whole though, I guess that's less obnoxious than the guy's little brother in the flashbacks in Heavy Rain inexplicably having a Russian accent.

Looks fun though, glad it's coming out.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I'll vote for Goongi as a clan.

GoW Ascension demo is live 10 hours from now! :f5:

Sandeep
Mar 27, 2002

I should be working on Summoner 3 instead of engaging in political discussions
If you're unsure, then definitely download the demo tomorrow. But if you are already planning on buying the game, don't play the demo. There's nothing wrong with it, but the game is much better experienced from start to finish as a complete product. There's just no reason to even slightly lessen the experience.

Smug Amoeba
Jan 8, 2010

Single-celled and self-satisfied
B-b-but then I have to wait 2 more weeks!

I assume the demo will be the Pittsburgh area we've seen in a bunch of previews so that's already spoiled for a lot of us. I rented God of War just for this demo, and I'd hate to see 6 quid go to waste.

Cab
Apr 23, 2003
Has anyone been able to get the demo? I got the email saying it's up and now it's gone from the GoW menu.

Ugh Sony!

Rocketeer Korolev
Dec 22, 2008

Jealous? No? Go frak yourself, Smoothskin...
I've been trying to download the demo, but no luck so far. It brings me to the store pop-up, I select download, and now it's on a blank list with "close" at the bottom. Going to keep trying.

Edit - Seems that the Playstation Store is undergoing maintenance. Yup. Gonna try again in an hour.

Rocketeer Korolev fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 31, 2013

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
They have had literally MONTHS to plan this demo release and they STILL weren't ready to handle the increased demand?

God drat it, Sony. :dawkins101:

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Work is done, let's get this demo!

An error has occurred. (80023017)

Is there a Kratos level of rage emoticon?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Quite a few of us are avoiding the demo to keep the whole thing fresh. Would it be fair to politely request spoilers for anything other than "this poo poo is awesome/awful!" ?

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Seedge posted:

Is there a Kratos level of rage emoticon?

:kratos:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Have they still not revealed anything about the multiplayer?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

cams posted:

Not a drat thing. And with 2 weeks until release...

A) That's pretty drat impressive that they've kept it under wraps.

B) You wonder what's worth being so secretive, and if it will live up to the hype that this information vaccuum is generating.

Smug Amoeba
Jan 8, 2010

Single-celled and self-satisfied
Alright! The download just started for me, I quit GoW and went into the store after getting that blank menu, incase that helps anyone. It's only 123 MB so it won't be much of a wait.

We know multiplayer will have a currency system, character customization and perks, all of which were in the Uncharted multiplayer. Other than that we have no idea.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
Downloaded the demo, only to start it up and have a 20 minute download happen. I can't say I saw that coming.

EDIT: Well, that was one hell of a demo.

JetGrind fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 31, 2013

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I went onto the sony web store to try a remote download and I can't see the demo for the last of us.

Cab
Apr 23, 2003

redreader posted:

I went onto the sony web store to try a remote download and I can't see the demo for the last of us.

You need to use Gow disc for now.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I just finished the demo, it's pretty short but very good. Looking forward to the full game even more now. I can see the game being really loving tense, especially when there are clickers about.

No plot spoilers here, just some observations about the demo. Don't read if you want to go in totally blind:

The clickers are really loving lethal and seem to take a good few bullets to put down.
You're vulnerable when crafting, using medkits etc. I don't think even reading files paused the game.
Melee weapons don't seem to last very long, my wooden plank with scissors taped to the end managed to only put down 2-3 runners. I'm not sure if this can be upgraded.
No surprises if you've played Uncharted, but the game looks/sounds gorgeous and the acting is excellent.

Spalec fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 31, 2013

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
First review has been leaked.

http://www.gamezone.com/news/2013/05/31/leaked-review-the-last-of-us-could-be-gaming-s-citizen-kane-moment

Eempire" posted:

"The Last of Us is not just the finest game that Naughty Dog has yet crafted and an easy contender for the best game of this console generation, it may also prove to be gaming’s Citizen Kane moment... a masterpiece that will be looked back upon favourably for decades."

I think they liked it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

cams posted:

They're waiting for E3 week so they can get as much free press as possible.

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog

Aye, I got a chance to read it before it was nuked, and it probably won't be the only review that will get the same treatment. ND put a moratorium on reviews till post-release which I find pretty stupid, especially since the hype and what has been seen so far will make almost every review good and only increase pre-sales.

I got the demo installed this morning and played it from my GOW early-access. For me it has lived up to my expectations. I just wish the demo was longer, but it ended at a good spot.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Between this and SMT4 it's shaping up to be a hell of a weekend to cap off E3 week. Can't wait.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

second-hand smegma posted:

They're waiting for E3 week so they can get as much free press as possible.

Except the dev literally said next couple of days like last week...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I enjoyed the demo but I'm getting kind of tired of 50 minutes of download and 10 minutes of play.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hahahahaha, what a load of bullshit.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

JebanyPedal posted:

You know, I think it's way to soon to say something stupid like that but did you play the full game? Comes off odd going "haha that review is HORSESHIT" when you haven't touched the full thing v:v:v

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You know, I think it's way to soon to say something stupid like that but did you play the full game? Comes off odd going "haha that review is HORSESHIT" when you haven't touched the full thing v:v:v
Still claiming its the Citizen Kane of video games is a pretty lofty statement so I wouldn't blame anyone at all for calling bullshit, especially with the current state of video game criticism.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

JebanyPedal posted:

What did you think of the game?

archerb
Mar 3, 2005
The game is probably great, but it's annoying how a new "Citizen Kane moment" is declared for video games every other week. I blame it on Ebert dying. Video game journalism's desperation for validation is self-parody at this point.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Here's what Citizen Kane did: Fundamentally alter the way we look at film as a storytelling device, create cinematography techniques that were utterly revolutionary at the time (to the point that people disliked it because it was so "weird"), produced one of the most astounding lead performances ever seen in a film (still to this day), utilize perspective and abstract set making to paint characters and their current conditions in certain lights and to visually compliment character development.
This is a film that revolutionized film that singularly every single film released in this day and age owes a great debt to it. Films like There Will Be Blood and Lincoln owe their existence to what is likely the greatest character study released in the medium.

There is absolutely no evidence in the trailers, or the gameplay itself -which looks to be, and sounds, by their own admission, to be stock third person shooter with an amalgamation of elements from other genres- and especially not in the way the writing process is handled in this day and age when it comes to videogames that suggest this game will fundamentally alter the way we look at storytelling and the function of interactivity with the plot itself in its medium.

That's one of the most intensely lofty claims you can make when it comes to any sort of art, the same as claiming that this game will be the Odyssey of videogames.
People were making this same claim about Bioshock: Infinite, that game wasn't even the Fight Club of videogames.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
If it's gaming's Citizen Kane wouldn't that mean no one will like it or appreciate it until thirty years later when the designers are old, fat and drunk?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This is a ridiculous argument but I think it's important to point out that "gaming's Citizen Kane" pretty much has become its own thing. The phrase has been repurposed by the games journalism industry to have its own implied meaning.

It seems to me that "this is the Citizen Kane of games" is more about crowning some significant achievement or threshold of excellence amongst its peers in the format than it is about claiming that this video game holds such a singular and defining role as the ACTUAL movie did.

It's a dumb thing to say about a game, but when it is said, I wouldn't assume it has nearly the same implication or gravitas.

Matchstick
Jul 10, 2004

JebanyPedal posted:

Here's what Battleship Potemkin and Rules of the Game did: Fundamentally alter the way we look at film as a storytelling device, create cinematography techniques that were utterly revolutionary at the time.

Fixed that for you. Citizen Kane is a fantastic film, but it's not loving sui generis. If Last of Us improves upon those games that preceded it, then calling it the "Citizen Kane" of gaming might actually prove to be appropriate. And besides, if the reviewer wanted to imply this was the best game ever he'd call it the "Apocalypse Now of gaming." :colbert:

So unless reviews of this "Weekend at Bernie's 2" of gaming crater in this thread, I'll pick it up. Along with that game where you can control trains with your cell phone and the new Juarez western. Have you seen the thread on the latter? Goons are falling over themselves about this $15 shooter.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

JebanyPedal posted:

Here's what Citizen Kane did: Fundamentally alter the way we look at film as a storytelling device, create cinematography techniques that were utterly revolutionary at the time (to the point that people disliked it because it was so "weird"), produced one of the most astounding lead performances ever seen in a film (still to this day), utilize perspective and abstract set making to paint characters and their current conditions in certain lights and to visually compliment character development.
This is a film that revolutionized film that singularly every single film released in this day and age owes a great debt to it. Films like There Will Be Blood and Lincoln owe their existence to what is likely the greatest character study released in the medium.

There is absolutely no evidence in the trailers, or the gameplay itself -which looks to be, and sounds, by their own admission, to be stock third person shooter with an amalgamation of elements from other genres- and especially not in the way the writing process is handled in this day and age when it comes to videogames that suggest this game will fundamentally alter the way we look at storytelling and the function of interactivity with the plot itself in its medium.

That's one of the most intensely lofty claims you can make when it comes to any sort of art, the same as claiming that this game will be the Odyssey of videogames.
People were making this same claim about Bioshock: Infinite, that game wasn't even the Fight Club of videogames.

Which is true (despite never seeing Citizen Kane myself honestly), but still the wording kinda made it sound like the games poo poo which can happen as I thought Uncharted 3 was awful, didn't feel fair to the game till it's out.

I don't think it's going to be revolutionary, for what it counts.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JebanyPedal posted:

Didn't you try to claim that Watch_Dogs and The Last of Us will basically be the same since they both involve guns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
A review that contains the phrase 'gaming's citizen kane' can be ignored as hysterical tripe pretty much on face value.

• Locked thread