Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Keeshhound posted:

Yeah, yeah, I forgot to clarify that. :downs:

There were some on that front, for both of those titles, moreso Dragon Age 2, but yeah. That game got loving RPG of the decade or some poo poo. Like, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The campaign is over 15 hours? That's awesome. Maybe soon, the days of the 6 hour campaign will be over and we can actually get some action games of a decent length again.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Fonzarelli posted:

The campaign is over 15 hours?

A review cited seventeen? I don't know. Could be. Sounds a little long in the tooth.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Seems like more and more this is a criticism that professional game critics are having about games. I have heard so many complaints about people wishing Bioshock infinite was not a shooter, and was instead an adventure game or something. I feel like there is just a growing backlash against anything the slightest bit shooty among the gaming press.

I can not say anything for Last of Us but with bioshock it is pretty valid complaint. It is a pretty lackluster shooter and all of the shooty bits feel like they are there because they did noy know what else to do for game play. Shooting is the default for AAA games that want to tell a big story but do not want to experiment with the gamepkay, it quickly gets boring.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dan Didio posted:

There were some on that front, for both of those titles, moreso Dragon Age 2, but yeah. That game got loving RPG of the decade or some poo poo. Like, drat.

Let it never be forgotten
    The best RPG of this decade? Nine more years will tell, but for now, yes. The best RPG combat ever. Not gaming’s best story, but maybe its best storytelling. Darker, sexier, better. 94

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Dan Didio posted:

A review cited seventeen? I don't know. Could be. Sounds a little long in the tooth.

Yeah, I mean, maybe it's amazing, but honestly having a 17 hour narrative makes me think that they're gonna have to do a LOT of work to make every one of those 17 hours engaging and not feel padded out. Even plenty of 6 hour games wear out their welcome early.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Dan Didio posted:

Most of them showed up after the public got their hands on the games though. So I suppose what I was really trying to say, in my meandering and unfocused way, is "I don't trust games that have no professional detractors prior to their release."

That's also why I never pre-order (I've supported a few Kickstarters, but that was because I liked the pitch and I knew and accepted that I was making a gamble); it just ends up encouraging bad design practices.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, I mean, maybe it's amazing, but honestly having a 17 hour narrative makes me think that they're gonna have to do a LOT of work to make every one of those 17 hours engaging and not feel padded out. Even plenty of 6 hour games wear out their welcome early.

The pacing in Uncharted 3 was a huge dissapointment to me, so I'm hoping whatever it ends up being, it's well plotted out and designed to accomodate that length of time. Apparently, it's a lot slower paced of a game in general, so maybe the longer, slower burn will feel more natural here.

Keeshhound posted:

Most of them showed up after the public got their hands on the games though. So I suppose what I was really trying to say, in my meandering and unfocused way, is "I don't trust games that have no professional detractors prior to their release."

That's also why I never pre-order (I've supported a few Kickstarters, but that was because I liked the pitch and I knew and accepted that I was making a gamble); it just ends up encouraging bad design practices.

You sound like a man wise beyond your years.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Unless it's a rail shooter, even for very linear games completion time is a wildly subjective metric.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

L-O-N posted:

10's for Eurogamer and Edge. 9's and 10's all around. Looks like I might have to preorder this game. Can't remember the last time I did.

Don't do this. Pre-ordering is never a good idea.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Dan Didio posted:

You sound like a man wise beyond your years.

Hey, I came by that histrionic cynicism honestly. :colbert:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I don't mean to sound completely silly or anything but you do...well...eat in this game, right?

Sort of "my immersion" question...

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Why is this coming out on a Friday? That never happens.

Any deals anywhere?

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.
Still not sure if I should preorder this or just walk in somewhere and pick it up next week. Are there any good preorder deals?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lucid Delusion posted:

Still not sure if I should preorder this or just walk in somewhere and pick it up next week. Are there any good preorder deals?

Gamestop has in-game content.

Otherwise it's just the soundtrack, some avatars and I think a theme.

Smug Amoeba
Jan 8, 2010

Single-celled and self-satisfied

WMain00 posted:

I don't mean to sound completely silly or anything but you do...well...eat in this game, right?

Sort of "my immersion" question...

Nope, it's a linear game so it doesn't make sense to have you need to find food when everything you encounter is decided beforehand.

Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.

Aphrodite posted:

Gamestop has in-game content.

Otherwise it's just the soundtrack, some avatars and I think a theme.

Ah maybe I'll just go pay for it at GameStop this weekend then. Wouldn't mind having the soundtrack.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Lucid Delusion posted:

Ah maybe I'll just go pay for it at GameStop this weekend then. Wouldn't mind having the soundtrack.

More accurately, it's mostly multiplayer boosters and cosmetic stuff.

You'll get the Sights and Sounds pack (the digital copy of the soundtrack, a dynamic theme for the PS3, and two avatars) for preordering anywhere.

In other news, god drat this live-action ad owns. The voice-over may be considered a bit spoilery if you're on total blackout, however.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Terror Sweat posted:

Don't do this. Pre-ordering is never a good idea.

I have more money than sense and have it pre-ordered.

But yeah, don't pre-order unless you can afford to spunk away the cash.

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog

KingKapalone posted:

Why is this coming out on a Friday? That never happens.

They moved it from May to do some polishing, and then decided to put it after E3 to get that last surge of anticipation because it is a new IP. It is quite unusual for a game to come out on any day but Tuesday, but it isn't unheard of.

Hav posted:

I have more money than sense and have it pre-ordered.

But yeah, don't pre-order unless you can afford to spunk away the cash.
Sometimes pre-ordering is good, especially if you want to have to have it paid for because you lack good cash management at times. I pre-order just about every game I'm really interested in. And many times the pre-order bonuses are pretty decent, especially if they include content that may or may not be available later as a DLC. And if it does come up as DLC later you already have it and saved the money they are going to charge for it.

BriceFxP fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 5, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I bear no ill sentiment towards the actual game. I am super excited about it. But I swear to god if today's announcement isn't anything (or isn't worth making a fuss over) I'm going to declare whomever is in charge of promotion and press to be the biggest idiot rear end in a top hat on the planet.

First the whole "We're keeping multiplayer secret until less than 2 weeks till launch but trust me it WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!"

and now the mention yesterday on both twitter (announcing something new today) and a comment in the TLoU PSN Blog thread about them being interested in seeing our reaction to another Multiplayer aspect we don't yet know about...

Just loving tell us already. And it better be worth the buzz.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dan Didio posted:

I think there's a perfectly earnest, and merited, 'backlash' against games that seem to be action-packed shooters only by default. I think it's less that people don't want shooters and more that shooters have become homogenized to the point where they're incapable of adapting, or being adapted to fit their other elements and design choices because of genre convention.

You are aware we're in a gaming medium right? Games are predisposed towards violence for very simple reasons - a game is about a puzzle that the player needs to solve as much as it is about the story seeing its conlusion. And as we don't have the tools to create games that can be solved by discussion with an AI enemy capable of reasoning, that leaves us with two things - solve a series of puzzles, or solve the problem of "there's guys in my way" via correct application of violence. Which do you think would have more of a narrative cohesion in a dystopic retro-20's floating paradise or post-apocalyptia - a platformer? A God-Hand style brawler? Or a game where you shoot other people?

We use guns in games because guns are sensible if violence is your only option (and until the singularity, it is). If you value gaming narratives, you shouldn't ask them to arbitrarily make their story try to fit a cooking sim.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Fulchrum posted:

You are aware we're in a gaming medium right? Games are predisposed towards violence for very simple reasons - a game is about a puzzle that the player needs to solve as much as it is about the story seeing its conlusion. And as we don't have the tools to create games that can be solved by discussion with an AI enemy capable of reasoning, that leaves us with two things - solve a series of puzzles, or solve the problem of "there's guys in my way" via correct application of violence. Which do you think would have more of a narrative cohesion in a dystopic retro-20's floating paradise or post-apocalyptia - a platformer? A God-Hand style brawler? Or a game where you shoot other people?

We use guns in games because guns are sensible if violence is your only option (and until the singularity, it is). If you value gaming narratives, you shouldn't ask them to arbitrarily make their story try to fit a cooking sim.

The point isn't "don't make shooters" its "don't make shooters that are all the same with a different coat of paint".

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Dan Didio posted:

'Long in the tooth' means 'old', not 'long'.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
I haven't seen anyone mention the fact that there is a black and white filter for the game that basically turns this into The Mist. As if I wasn't already hyped enough, that's the kind of thing I'd actually pay for as DLC, but apparently it's an unlockable.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

voltron lion force posted:

The point isn't "don't make shooters" its "don't make shooters that are all the same with a different coat of paint".

And now for a statement that I have had to trot out several times now.

Fulchrum posted:

A game about a time after the fall of human civilisation wherein our most primal survival instincts are set against the crumbling ruins and lush vegetation, and a game set in one of the most modern and technologically advanced cities in the world wherein our vulnerability due to over reliance on technology is highlighted - easily mistaken as the same game.

"You shoot dudes" does not make the games "all the same". Pray tell, where, exactly, is the gigantic squid tentacles power in COD: BloPS.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Fulchrum posted:

And now for a statement that I have had to trot out several times now.

"You shoot dudes" does not make the games "all the same". Pray tell, where, exactly, is the gigantic squid tentacles power in COD: BloPS.

Why are you posting like such a douche? Pray tell? Really? I also have no idea what your example is referring to but if you can't tell from the gameplay vids that this game is glaringly similar to a lot of other by the numbers 3rd person shooters, including the series this developer is most known for (arguable I guess) then I don't know what to tell you. I'm not even saying that's a bad thing, the game might be great, but we were talking about whether its a valid point to make in a review, which it is.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Fulchrum posted:

:allears:

In your world, is everyone a strawman, or do you just lack reading comprehension skills?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

Definitely an idea that I espoused. Thank you for setting me on the right track with your absurd absolutes.

redreader posted:

'Long in the tooth' means 'old', not 'long'.

Linear singleplayer games tend to get old when you play them for seventeen hours.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I think that the 17 hours is going to be a properly meaty experience, just like my first playthrough of Resident Evil 4. That's because this game has been in development for three and a half years, by Naughty Dog's A team after they divided the studio once they completed Uncharted 2.

This was a secret until it was given away in an Easter egg in Uncharted 3, which was going to coincide with the announcement of The Last of Us until it was delayed.

This does mean that Uncharted 3's team has been working on something since 2011, so we may see a new Uncharted game for the PlayStation 4. It's also been announced that they'll be keeping their current engine for the new platform, rather than go through the hell of creating a brand new one like they did for the switch to the PS3. They might even have it ready for launch.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

voltron lion force posted:

Why are you posting like such a douche? Pray tell? Really? I also have no idea what your example is referring to but if you can't tell from the gameplay vids that this game is glaringly similar to a lot of other by the numbers 3rd person shooters, including the series this developer is most known for (arguable I guess) then I don't know what to tell you. I'm not even saying that's a bad thing, the game might be great, but we were talking about whether its a valid point to make in a review, which it is.

And if you can't tell the game is a survival game, not an action adventure game, from the dozens of reviews that refer to it as the former, and the number of people on this site saying they nearly crapped themselves at the demo alone, then you are either being deliberately obtuse, moving the goalposts, or you genuinely believe that any game that has a gun is interchangeable with any other. Which if applied to another medium, means that The Godfather is "basically the same" as Commando.

Keeshhound posted:

:allears:

In your world, is everyone a strawman, or do you just lack reading comprehension skills?
What part of the statement "these games are all the same with just a new coat of paint" did I invent that he said? Pointing out the absurdity of his statement by actually matching examples to it isn't strawmanning.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dan Didio posted:

Linear singleplayer games tend to get old when you play them for seventeen hours.

Careful, your prejudice is showing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

This is almost universally untrue.

Very few games last that long, and just about every one of them is well regarded.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Fulchrum posted:

What part of the statement "these games are all the same with just a new coat of paint" did I invent that he said? Pointing out the absurdity of his statement by actually matching examples to it isn't strawmanning.

The part where you pretended that people's entirely valid concerns that Naughty Dog might backslide in the third act of the game and return to their "Shoot lots of mans to make the plot move forward" method of game design were, in fact just them spazzing out over the game being a shooter so you could quote yourself in one of the most smug posts I've seen in some time. But of course you'd have realized that had you actually read anyone's posts before you tried to swoop in and stun us all with your wisdom.

But assuming you weren't trying to strawman, I'll spell it out so that you won't need to stress your evidently poor reading comprehension:

1.) No one has had any concerns over this game being a third person shooter (at least not recently).

2.) What they are worried about is that while there are many, many interesting and varied ways to make a third person shooter (this game looks like it will heavily feature horror-stealth, just as an example), far too often developers have promised something interesting, just to default to the boring "shoot everything between point A and point B to advance" school of design.

3.) While there's nothing inherently wrong with that type of game design, this game has sold itself as something different and unique, and were it to revert to Generic Shootfest 32(tm), it would be an extreme disappointment.

You have thus far been arguing with imaginary people who are opposed to shooters in general, or who think that all shooters are exactly the same. This is not the case; in fact, if you had simply proposed (in a non-smug, non-hostile manner) that not all shooters are the same, you would have found most everyone to be in agreement with you, albeit somewhat perplexed since such a declaration would have been a non-sequitur. Which it was when you asserted it in your recent arguments.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Dan Didio posted:

Definitely an idea that I espoused. Thank you for setting me on the right track with your absurd absolutes.

OPMUK is pretty adamant that the last 4 hours of the game are amazing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Hav posted:

Careful, your prejudice is showing.

Don't lengthshame please.

second-hand smegma posted:

OPMUK is pretty adamant that the last 4 hours of the game are amazing.

Cool. I hope it is.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I usually wait until the greatest hits version is out, but I'm really interested in this.
The cutscene / gameplay dissonance in Uncharted always bothered me, but this game seems to fix that.
If anyone wants to share the game with me I have a post in the PSN game sharing thread.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

That loving Sned posted:

I think that the 17 hours is going to be a properly meaty experience, just like my first playthrough of Resident Evil 4. That's because this game has been in development for three and a half years, by Naughty Dog's A team after they divided the studio once they completed Uncharted 2.

This was a secret until it was given away in an Easter egg in Uncharted 3, which was going to coincide with the announcement of The Last of Us until it was delayed.

This does mean that Uncharted 3's team has been working on something since 2011, so we may see a new Uncharted game for the PlayStation 4. It's also been announced that they'll be keeping their current engine for the new platform, rather than go through the hell of creating a brand new one like they did for the switch to the PS3. They might even have it ready for launch.

I'm just basing this off vague memories of a really old video interview that I saw somewhere, so I could be wrong, but for whatever reason it's stuck with me that development on TLOU was initiated by a very small team within Naughty Dog, and that they didn't start full development until Uncharted 3 was finished, at which point the bulk of the team then joined the project to help finish the game. I don't think that they have two full teams working on different projects.

Sandeep
Mar 27, 2002

I should be working on Summoner 3 instead of engaging in political discussions

MUFFlNS posted:

I'm just basing this off vague memories of a really old video interview that I saw somewhere, so I could be wrong, but for whatever reason it's stuck with me that development on TLOU was initiated by a very small team within Naughty Dog, and that they didn't start full development until Uncharted 3 was finished, at which point the bulk of the team then joined the project to help finish the game. I don't think that they have two full teams working on different projects.

This is mostly correct. We intended to go to two full teams but it has been very hard to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sandeep posted:

This is mostly correct. We intended to go to two full teams but it has been very hard to do that.

This is still very good. Naughty Dog looks like one of the first studios to use the Pixar method, of doing pre-production while the previous entry is undergoing development.

To a lot of publishers, a long pre-production period is seen as a waste of time and resources, when there are programmers and artists sitting around waiting for decisions to be made. This way, far more time can be spent planning and working out how to make a better game. It's no surprise how many of the most highly regarded games ever made were due to their long pre-production phase, like Resident Evil 4's several iterations, one which became Devil May Cry, or almost any game from Valve.

• Locked thread