Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Cool tip from me: the BAR has two rates of fire, which can be toggled between with the '6' key. The default is fast, the alt is slow. There are very few times when it's preferable to use the fast firing rate -- the muzzle climb is terrible and you're probably not going to hit much of anything. The slow rate is a hell of a lot more controllable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I just dump the magazine every time I fire the Thompson. Actually, I do that with the Japanese SMG a lot of the time, too.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Red Orchestra/RO2 has always been a stupendous honeypot for racist people. I think attracting all the people who jack off to pictures of the SS and think it's cool to name a company "Jackboot Games" is part of the problem.

No, I have already encountered more racist stuff in this than I have in my entire RO/DH/RO2 experience. Virtually every single game is HILARIOUS "ohhh for de emeperor" racist poo poo.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Throckwoddle posted:

I have had better luck on the action servers than the realism servers. Most of the people on the action servers have been pretty relaxed and forgiving of stuff like the accidental release of a katana into their back when I stopped sprinting, but the minute I jump into a realism server there's a sudden barrage of "in character" racism and the chat is full of the Allies throwing out as many slurs as they can and the Axis replacing r with l and adding a u to the end of everything.

Please do not play Action mode. To do that is to completely miss everything interesting about the game.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I played a few rock solid matches tonight. The Japanese commander was constantly communicating and the squad leaders (me, one match) were responding with markers and positions. The weirdest part was that the public players were responding to all of this, so that each banzai charge was properly coordinated and the team won because of a combination of leadership and participation.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonswhoplayrisingstorm

GO HERE TO JOIN THE STEAM GROUP THAT I MADE!!!!!!!!

edit: Please go join it.

edit: OK it was set to Private. Now it's public. Join!

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 22, 2013

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Is anyone going to join the group or will I stay as the single lonely member forever, completely humiliating me?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

milk man posted:

Squad leaders get binoculars (5). Mark behind enemy points, generally touching the back border is best.

If they are any good at all they'll mark it themselves. You can immediately detect a terrible commander if they are moaning about other people not marking for them.

It's nice if SLs mark and there's nothing wrong with asking, but the second they start whining is the second you should start watching your head for friendly arty because they are utterly incompetent and expect others to carry them (instead of expecting others to occasionally provide support).

Erm

It's rare you need to use binocs to mark. It works just fine in iron sights -- we aren't dealing with hundreds of meters in any of these maps.

You should always ask for SLs to mark. It is not the job of the commander to mark his own arty positions. What good commanders do is mostly alternate between tossing smoke while insta-dying and spending time at the radio. A properly playing commander is just as likely to whine as not if the squad leaders are poo poo... some just might eat it and mark their own positions, which means they're wasting time doing something the squad leaders should be doing. It's not "nice" if SLs mark positions, it's an integral part of the class's job. "Occasionally provide support", get the gently caress out of here... marking positions is what the class is supposed to do.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

milk man posted:

I usually mark from way back in spawn. With tree-covered maps or maps with lots of structures you often don't need to take 5 steps to mark almost anywhere on the map effectively as a commander by hitting distant trees/buildings. This method renders the terrain between you and the target irrelevant.

This really isn't true. They specifically make the maps so this isn't possible. I don't understand.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

milk man posted:

I could make a video or something, I guess? I'm talking about the very tops of trees / tree branches / structures. In Saipan (I think that's the urban one) you have to get closer but in almost every other map you barely have to move.

For real if you can I wish you would. Actually it might be sploity enough that the developers would want to know. Either way it would be interesting.

edit: Even screenshots would be good, if video is too much of a pain.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

:shepicide:

At the end of this match, there were two Axis MGs literally overlapping each other on the ground they were so close and one TKed me as I charged in.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I've realized the only way I can tolerate playing this game is if I'm either a squad leader or commander. It's terrible not being able to throw smoke or mark arty. You can get a million kills in other classes but it almost completely doesn't matter -- unless there's smoke or artillery, nobody's moving forward. It doesn't hurt that you can find a good spot in the cap zone and let your squad spawn on you as SL.

I guess machine gunner is pretty good but it's less significant in this than in vanilla... probably because the maps make them more vulnerable.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Now we have much more colorful maps, which would be good except that both teams are wearing basically the same shade of olive uniform (Japanese are more brownish) and only really differentiate in minor details in the uniform aside from the helmet, which is fairly different. This turns what should be a good strategy (flanking, pincer attacks, etc) into a recipe for failure since every shot is a risk for TK. Hell, there's been times when I've looked at someone five feet away and thought they were a friendly up until they shot me in the back.

US is green. Japanese are brown/tan. US holds gun in both hands, Jap in one. Never TK again, it's easy.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

The Droid posted:

I guess this could be said about most team based games but man when your team is awful things can stop being fun really fast. Points are lost in an instant when half your team insists on peeking out the windows of buildings across the street from them rather than use their banzai charge ability to actually retake ground.

No kidding. Also, attacking teams are largely at the mercy of squad leaders and the commander. Squad leaders have to pop smoke and provide a place to spawn and commanders have to set artillery strikes (and, optimally, coordinate with squad leaders for a well-timed rush into the cap that takes advantage of said artillery strikers).

The night map that I can't remember the name of is the absolute worst for this. If Axis doesn't have good arty and smoke, they'll sit at the first two capture zones forever.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

GyverMac posted:

Anybody noticed that Iwo Jima seems to be the new "apartments" ? Everyone seems hellbent on voting that up every godamn time.

Everyone votes for it because it's the only name they recognize.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Orv posted:

I really like both IJ and Guadal but I might have to start playing on servers that don't have voting. I also seem to be witnessing a lot of contradictory action compared to the rest of the people in this thread. A bunch of you said you never see Axis win Guadalcanal but I see them win 7/10 it seems like.

The first two points are the big stumbling block for public games on Guadalcanal. They'll only drop with a lazy Axis team if the Allies are exceedingly bad. Otherwise, the Axis commander and squad leaders have to play well enough to coordinate smoke and artillery.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Someone needs to make a mutator that allows people who were already in what is now the spawn-protected area to stay until they are either killed or leave it.

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 29, 2013

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

The game releases tomorrow. I wouldn't worry about the beta.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Do stats reset?

Yep.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

SERPUS posted:

Did they change something that forces minimum foliage now? I had managed to turn trees and grass completely off, and now they're back with a vengeance.

Low became the new Medium or something like that. It happened in a patch.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Also Rising Storm is a lot more fun as a game.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Just played my free rifleman games. It's honestly amazing that tripwire have physically not learned a single solitary thing from RO2. It's just a RO2 pacific reskin. Bravo tripwire. You shipped another failure.

Not really. The new weapons and mechanics make it play quite differently from the original, even if it's still sharing some fundamentals. I don't think you know what you're talking about.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

SERPUS posted:

I'd like to see a good sniper map. Maybe two buildings and some rubble piles divided by an impassable river.

Ugh.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Rei_'s reactions are great because they could perfectly apply to RO1 and DH.

If you give it some time you will figure out all the poo poo you're having problems with. It'll be a combination of learning the maps and also learning to 'read' enemies against the lovely foggy vision.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Oh god drat it, I thought 50 was max. Guess I have 30 more levels to do :geno:

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

GyverMac posted:

I finally maxed out my Arisaka type 99 rifle. I recommend it as a medium distance weapon, it is very quick to shoulder and cycles the bolt real fast. However the stopping power seems to degrade alot over distance.(not sure about this tho) But its quick and nimble handling is perfect for maps like Saipan and Hanto were alot of the action is upclose or on medium distances.

It supposedly has more stopping power, too. I'm at 50 on the Type 99 and close to 50 on the Type 38, and I think I prefer the Type 38 because of the sights... plus it's almost perfectly accurate.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I don't know, I get a lot of kills with grenades. I make sure to cook them as long as possible and get them both out every life.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Ray posted:

RS simulates this very well with the armchair commanders demanding banzai charges constantly over voice. It's nice enough in some situations, but you really shouldn't charge 24/7, especially on defense.

I haven't encountered many (if any) commanders that are actually trying who do this. Usually it's just "banzai" in lieu of "rush" after a close artillery strike or during one behind the cap.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonswhoplayrisingstorm

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 7, 2013

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Oh gently caress me, I accidentally left the group and now StuntCock is the admin. If you're reading this poo poo please re-add me.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Ray posted:

The actual commander is usually begging for artillery marks.

On this note: when playing Commander, I've had much more success with saying "can any available Squad Leaders please try to get an arty mark at [coordinates, region]" instead of "MARKS NOW RECON UP". It shows that you're playing for the team (and not just for easy kill points) and that you have an idea what you're doing. It gives cooperative SLs a place to try for. I also like to let people know that I'm trying for additional marks myself.

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 8, 2013

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

If you didn't previously own RO2, you've got to hit level 12 to unlock Realism. From what I read, you can get around this by using the Steam server browser to join Realism servers, by joining directly by IP, or by joining on a friend who is on a Realism server.

It's the stupidest thing ever, I know. They're forcing people to play a wildly inferior, watered-down version of their game for absolutely no good reason.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

They need to allow you to turn off scroll wheel weapon selection altogether. It only ever fucks me up, be it when I'm range adjusting or banzaiing/meeleeing.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Shamefur Dispray

Commit Sudoku!

loving japs

WELCOME TO RISING STORM!!!

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

:shepface:

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Ularg posted:

On Iwo Jima I am having a hard time playing Machine gunner on Allies. When I try to prone up the hill there are some random places I can't prone or set up the LMG. If I'm near the crest and set up my LMG my view pops way up from the ground. I can't tell if I'm still prone on the back slope of the hill or if the game just put me up in the air floating. I can't set up the LMG on any of the rocks. Please tell me I am doing something wrong and the trick to playing attacking Machine Gunner on this map is so obvious and easy. When I can get setup and not completely destroyed the second I set up I can lay down a LOT of fire.

You're right about it being difficult to set up the MG in a lot of good spots.

You have to treat the Allied MG as a rifle on that map. There are a few really good spots on the right side at the beginning, and then close to C on the second/third points. Don't even bother trying to fire blind (through smoke, I mean) or suppress because you'll get insta-sniped from 150+m. If you set up properly, you can get enormous numbers of kills.

Really the overall rule with attacking MGs is to hit people from the side, but that doesn't work on Iwo.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Battlefield Commissions are fussy and seem to be buggy. I always just accept them and re-select the same role I'm already playing.

The whole mechanic is stupid, anyway. Someone could be playing a role extremely well and still lose it to some dope who got lucky.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Playing Axis MG on Iwo is completely silly once you've unlocked the 2x scope. It's 20 minutes of whack-a-mole.

Also I got a 247m kill with Allied MG on that map :smug:

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I didn't know you could shoot down recon planes until these patch notes, either. I figured out how to hit one with the .30 cal, but it got away, and then I actually killed one with the Type 99 LMG. You have to lead farther in front than you might expect. It's +10 points, if I recall correctly.

Speaking of the Type 99: it's more usable with the increased scope sensitivity, but I still find it easier to just ditch that upgrade on maps other than Peleliu and Iwo.

The best thing about this patch is that the semicolon spawn menu glitchy disappearing thing is fixed. Now you can properly and reliably update your choice while you're in the queue, instead of having to wrestle with the horrible broken menu.

edit: oh yeah, they also said that they're working on the spawn on SL invulnerability window thing. I don't know if you guys have noticed, but people get temporary invulnerability when they spawn on SL, which makes no sense and is a huge pain in the rear end if you're playing MG, sniper, or mortar. I actually once saw some guys spawn on SL, shot a mortar, and sent one flying up into the air. He landed and then ran off without an injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Ularg posted:

I had a wonderful experience in a server last night with my friends. We had a very patriotic (and sometimes racist) Allies team. We all sang the Star Spangled Banner in sync over public voice then I played country music and classic rock over public. It was a good night.

That sounds horrible and I hope you quit playing this game.

• Locked thread