Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I've had voice chat muted for the past week or so and I've stopped reading the text chat for the most part. I have way more fun and I'm actually more effective than ever. I can't play Commander, though, because I don't feel right playing that without voice.

Really, nobody ever says anything worthwhile. It's all stuff that could be easily rephrased as "OK guys, let's win the game" or vague references to single players who are probably dead by the time the message finishes transmitting. I can see where arty is, I look at my map all the time and monitor where the team is, I get warnings for recon....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Ularg posted:

I don't know what games you are playing but I regularly get into games where the command and Squad Leaders are communicating together and giving orders. Even if they are simple like "Wait for our arty to finish and then push B"

I hear a lot of that too, but it does basically nothing for me. At the very best, there's a lot of faux-military jargon (gotta have those dudes that refer to the one single objective as "alpha" instead of "a" or "the cap" because it's MILITARY) and playtime baby strategy but a vanishingly small amount of actually useful information. At the worst, you get people doing racist voices and blabbering about WWII history. There's not much that's worth communicating in the first place, so the overwhelming majority of what is even ostensibly team play chat is just penis-stroking babble.

edit: to clarify, what I mean is that most stuff is just self-evident if you have experience with the series, or it's information that is useful for like a split second or maybe even not useful at all. Then you get guys that have some great plan and think that their weird armchair commander sense of purpose is somehow altering the performance of the team, when they're really just dopes that want to feel like they're controlling something.

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 25, 2013

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

I use alpha and bravo because it's clearer over voip and I'm less likely to get asked to repeat it. I did have a commander who kept saying danger close today though which made me chuckle.

Does A sound like B when you say it? I can sort of understand C and D or D and E but A and B?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Here's a PSA: you should type 'gamma 5' into the console and set your brightness high on Guadalcanal. It looks more or less like a day map at that point.

Looking at a pitch black screen with little blips of light isn't even remotely what it looks like to be in a dark but sparsely-illuminated place in real life. I hate video game darkness.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Ularg posted:

I gotta admit I get hardons when everyone is going full on military jargon. But I chuckle when they use jargon from the last decade of war instead of what was used in WW2.

Yes but you don't 'gotta admit' poo poo when you are already a self-admitted horrible chat spamming awful game ruining ding dong. Please do not play this game. You're the exact kind of person that makes it pointless to bother with voice or text communication.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Ularg posted:

I'm sure one game full of drunk gamers got cancer from that. I guess I should just do what everyone else does over voice and yell out awful racist jokes.

What you should do is just play and not ruin the game for everyone else.

edit: did you forget the part where you admitted you guys were being racist? You also shouldn't be racist like you said you were being.

Ularg posted:

I had a wonderful experience in a server last night with my friends. We had a very patriotic (and sometimes racist) Allies team. We all sang the Star Spangled Banner in sync over public voice then I played country music and classic rock over public. It was a good night.

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 25, 2013

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Omi-Polari posted:

But I swear we were the only two people on the server trying to hit the caps (on Stalingrad).

:cry:

What? That's not a map.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Omi-Polari posted:

Stalingrad Kessel, I think. A remake from the original RO.

Oh, cool. I haven't been able to wrench up the strength to play RO2 again... I keep quitting whenever mixed servers load RO2 maps. The worst was when there was a map vote between Iwo and Apartments -- I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

:shepface:

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

It drives me crazy when the attacking TL drops artillery on the front of the cap. It means that the person playing the role has only thought as far as "ooh, this will get me a lot of kills!".

All it does is knock off a few guys in the front. The attacking team is then forced to stay back and the defending team can actually comfortably set up in the rear of the cap. Even dropping arty on the cap makes no sense, because then it's just a mad dash for both sides to get in that's only going to barely tip the scales in the attacking team's favor (at best).

The other day I saw a guy who was playing TL and kept dropping naval barrages on the front of the cap. Think about that for a second.

schizopol posted:

Honorable mention to the commander who destroys his own team as they move in to assault the last point by calling hellacious :siren: DANGER CLOSE :siren: artillery directly on them, decimating what few tickets remain. I'll never understand why he rejoined right after the autoboot to bitch everyone out for "standing right on the artillery marker!" when he killed 10+ on his first salvo!:downs:

This is the best. It's even better when the commander drops some horrible, useless, team-killing artillery and then somehow the team still manages to cap the point like 3 minutes later and the commander says something along the lines of "oh my arty didn't work huh?".

I wish this was referring to a specific incident but I've seen it happen many times. :geno:

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 25, 2013

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Saipan as Axis MG is a total slaughter at both of those points. Upstairs at F facing east through/over the big door is berserk. It's even better with the American .30 cal.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Le0 posted:

Since I decided to only play on the 40-1 server I haven't seen much racism lately. Also usually there is team play going on and a few people on the comm being mildly useful.

I play there a lot, too. The admins actually force people who are playing TL or SL to do their jobs, and won't hesitate to kick people for poor performance.

One time a guy said "there's a dirty chink in my armor" and an admin said it wasn't racist, it was a "pun on words". You might still find a little racism in there, I'm afraid, but it's way better than most other places on the whole.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Type 99 LMG scope is level 50, I'm pretty sure. It won't take too long to get if you play a bunch of rounds of Iwo and Peleliu.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I just had an Allies match on Iwo where the TL was constantly placing arty in front of the cap.

He would respond to any criticism by calling people stupid or saying that they were 'nubs'. He wasn't trolling... he thought he was doing a good job. He dropped arty in front of A, and then 30-45 seconds later told us to attack B. When I asked why he did that, he said 'ever hear of a diversion?'. He used a naval barrage on D. At the approach to F, he dropped artillery on that area right in the center where everyone collects before they storm into the bunkers (immediately adjacent to the north of the blown up machine gun bunker, right in front of the stairs). We somehow managed to win the round despite him refusing to cancel arty.

The second round went much more smoothly, partly because he only dropped artillery once and it was behind the cap at A. We steamrolled up to F, and we quickly began capping it. He thought partway through that this would be a good time to call a naval barrage on the close right side. The timing was flawless: probably less than 3 seconds before we capped, the strike hit and got him kicked for TKing. There was no time for him to rejoin. It was perfect.

Oh, he also sarcastically asked me if "THIS point is ok" before he dropped arty when I was playing Engineer. Yeah, I can't see that.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Mans posted:

Banzai charging will never get old.

Yes it will. It only has a few applications and is a major noob magnet.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Thump! posted:

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but I've just started replaying this game, and for some reason some servers give me this 'Speed Hack Detected' text message, locking me in place or even pushing me out of cover sometimes. Going into the server my ping is at like 50 or so, and then it just spikes heavily.

Has anyone figured out a way to fix this yet? Or should I just get a better fisher price internet connection?

I think that happens from packet loss. Pretty annoying, isn't it?

Try different servers. I don't think there are any settings to be changed, but maybe someone else knows better.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

http://forums.jackbootgames.com/showthread.php?7386-Darkest-Hour-Europe-44-45-Returns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

http://www.darkesthourgame.com/ posted:

This week we would like to begin collecting game-play testers for 6.0, even though we are still a bit away from being ready. It’s important for us to see how many people are interested in testing Darkest Hour 6.0 game play. Testing will be much more simple than in the past and we will not have any NDA agreements. Testing will be open to anyone who wants to help out.

To sign up, just join the steam group:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/darkesthourtestteam

That is all for now. When we are closer to begin testing, we will inform you in the group and have tutorials on how to begin.

• Locked thread