Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

quote:

Rising Storm is being created in a first-of-its-kind collaboration between a mod team and a professional game development studio. The Rising Storm team is made up of the best independent developers from the modding community and several members of the development team at Tripwire Interactive.
If by "first-of-its-kind" they mean "Valve did this for Team Fortress Classic and Counterstrike and Day of Defeat and Alien Swarm and Mojang did this for the Bukkit server team and I think Tripwire did this for Killing Floor" then... yes?

This doesn't have a release date yet, does it? I'm not buying it but I do want to play my free Rifleman class (aka my free "whatever gun I want because I can just follow idiots around and pick up their guns" class) to see how the game has turned out. I guess they're jumpy about setting a release date after the whole RO2 debacle, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That's how it worked with DoD:S, CS:S, TFC, Alien Swarm on Source, and the retail release of KF, right? Those were all new games.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Alain Perdrix posted:

Man, I wish it was possible for two or three rounds to go by in this game without a whole lot of "ironic" and/or unironic racism!
Red Orchestra/RO2 has always been a stupendous honeypot for racist people. I think attracting all the people who jack off to pictures of the SS and think it's cool to name a company "Jackboot Games" is part of the problem.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Welp that's super encouraging. :(

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I actually don't care if Ramm-Jaeger is a huge rear end in a top hat or a huger rear end in a top hat, I hate TWI for adding unlocks and a crosshair and MkBs to the game, but yes, as if we needed more reasons not to be TWI fans.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Captain Beans posted:

In the RO2 thread there was talk about RO2 owners getting the ability to play RS but with limited class selection without purchasing RS. Is that correct?
You can play Rifleman.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

SERPUS posted:

I'd like to see a good sniper map. Maybe two buildings and some rubble piles divided by an impassable river.
:suicide:

I would love to see a combined arms map. Just use T-34s and Panzer IVs from base RO2. It's not like this game is realistic as it stands.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I'm mostly mad about the unlocks system, the "Action" mode, servers with bots, mega zoom on iron sights, extremely steady bolt action rifles, and the way my character psychically knows when he has killed someone with a bullet so t hat he can remark on it, out loud, to himself, ruining the whole "we moved the kill messages to be a few seconds after the kill so that your eyes don't flick to the upper right every time you take a shot from long range" thing that is one of the only changes from the original RO that makes the game better rather than worse, and MkBs. But yes, being promised stuff and then not getting any of it was also not cool.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Rei_ posted:

I dunno guys I'm playing Action Mode and the game doesn't seem to understand that I have no actual military training, nor do I know where anything is or what I'm doing, and I just sort of follow the running people until I get shot in the head and then have to wait another 20 seconds to do it all over again so MAYBE less realism is okay?
I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make here - you don't understand Action mode so the solution is to make the game even more like Call of Duty? Why isn't the solution actually for you to just go play one of the dozens of games that aren't fiddly and difficult and ponderous and confusing? I say this with no malice - I don't think I'm a better person for liking games like Red Orchestra and god knows I still enjoy Quake/Counterstrike/Starsiege Tribes/etc. more, but really this is a case of "learn to play or leave instead of asking the developers to gently caress up this game by making it more like Call of Duty." Your attitude is the reason the game is half-ruined already and although I don't want to write you off completely I'm having trouble figuring out what you're trying to say. Like, don't you already have a ton of other games that you can play if you want to do less "get shot in the head and wait 20 seconds" stuff?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's actually very simple, you get more people on the point than the enemy and capture the point and then you win. But really, this can be summed up as "I was honestly expecting Battlefield," which sucks for you but there you go. This game isn't Battlefield, it has never been Battlefield, and no matter how much they try to gently caress it up it isn't going to be battlefield. The confusion you describe in your first paragraph mostly fades when you realize 99% of the player base is too stupid to even engage in the kind of self-introspection it takes to realize that having your experience is evidence of doing something wrong and you use this newfound knowledge to just run around like a nutter shooting people in the face, but there's always going to be a lingering bit of "this game is unforgiving." Because the game is unforgiving. That is its nature. If you don't like that, fine. Then don't play the game. Play Battlefield. But lots of people like blacking out and screaming "OH GOD MY LEGS." It's an experience that not a lot of other games give, and most games don't give that experience because it's one that most people don't enjoy. Welcome to the world of niche games! Enjoy your stay, or don't.

That said, if there's anything you're confused about that the tutorial didn't explain, let us know and we can explain it. It's hardly the most complicated game in the world but you're right that it's unfriendly to new players.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Tori CMOS posted:

I bought RO2 during the Summer Sale last year and had a lot of fun with it. I bought RS on release day and I've had a lot of fun with it. They're both fun games and you people will complain about anything.
There's actually a ton of poo poo I won't complain about but it's all in the original game.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Honestly I'm just sort of glad that pants didn't go the way of tanks - at least they're in the game.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Attempting to simulate the weather in the Pacific theater.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Jarmak posted:

I just unlocked classic mode and its like rising storm with awesome RO1 style weapon handling and movement speeds, why the hell are there only 12 people playing classic mode?
Because Tripwire has done as much as possible to strangle that thing in the crib? They released it duct taped to Call of Duty mode and left Realism mode in the game. Coming back to RO2 for RS after a loooong break I couldn't even remember which one I wanted to play, Classic or Realism, and I sure as gently caress couldn't remember the difference between the two. Tripwire should just get rid of everything except classic, or if they're honestly scared about losing the 8 players who have never heard of Call of Duty or Battlefield and who love this shooter with crosshairs and stuff, Tripwire should at least combine the two genuine modes and leave Action as it is, instead of splitting the community into tiny little slices so it can dry up and die faster.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Rhandhali posted:

I played around on some of the mostly empty classic mode servers and it's pretty awesome, it's just like the old RO. No kill messages, no zoom in on breath hold and pretty everything I wanted from RO2.
Did you want mostly empty servers from RO2? Because that seems to be an integral part of the Classic mode experience. Their goal is, I suppose, to recreate the original Red Orchestra, right down to the fact that nobody plays it anymore.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
$25,000 in prizes for a map competition.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Tanks worked pretty well in Mare Nostrum and I remember some fun Darkest Hour maps with tanks. A combined arms setting is really where tanks shine, if you ask me. They add a lot of dynamism to the map: the positioning of the tanks completely changes how the infantry game plays.

In other news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlhkac13SE

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlhkac13SE

edit: I just realized I posted this in the thread already, way back when I made it. Which is weird because I just watched it again this morning and then it turns out people had revived this thread so I was like "hey let's post this video" but like... I did that last time I posted in here...

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Le0 posted:

Well if you have a WWII fps itch I think it's the only game that will scratch that!
As long as you take this game with its faults you can get enjoyment out of it.
There's also the original Red Orchestra.

• Locked thread