Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
So where are goons playing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Well I went ahead and picked this up after playing around with the rifleman demo. I've had a blast with it so far; is there a steam group, regular server or mumble channel out there where we can get some goon games together?

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I don't *think* we have one for RS specifically besides the general group for all of Steam.

I can set one up when I get home tonight if desired. Just would need to know who wants in and suggestions for a name.

Is there someone we have to ask to set up a Camping the Stairs channel on Mumble?

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That's what I was asking, do we want to make our own RS-only group or just roll in with the RO2 ones?

I'd say start a new one. RO2 seems to have a pretty bad rep.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I made us a channel on Camping the Stairs.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This is not the stupidest thing I've ever heard, but it's pretty drat close.

Are they terrified that non-spergs are going to see the game for what it is and get scared away?

That's pretty much what I thought when I saw that realism was an unlockable. Hideously annoying to a lot of the experienced fan base, but in theory might keep new players from getting scared away by the much greater lethality of the realism mode. It took like, 45 minutes of playing to unlock so I'm not terribly upset about it though.

What I don't understand is people railing against the existence of action mode. There's nothing wrong with having it, it's just kind of annoying to be stuck with it until you've played a couple or three games.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

An Enormous Boner posted:

If you didn't previously own RO2, you've got to hit level 12 to unlock Realism. From what I read, you can get around this by using the Steam server browser to join Realism servers, by joining directly by IP, or by joining on a friend who is on a Realism server.

It's the stupidest thing ever, I know. They're forcing people to play a wildly inferior, watered-down version of their game for absolutely no good reason.

I already had RO2 and still had to unlock realism mode.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

I just unlocked classic mode and its like rising storm with awesome RO1 style weapon handling and movement speeds, why the hell are there only 12 people playing classic mode?

Maybe we could set up a small goon server tonight to try it out?

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I played around on some of the mostly empty classic mode servers and it's pretty awesome, it's just like the old RO. No kill messages, no zoom in on breath hold and pretty everything I wanted from RO2.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Did you want mostly empty servers from RO2? Because that seems to be an integral part of the Classic mode experience. Their goal is, I suppose, to recreate the original Red Orchestra, right down to the fact that nobody plays it anymore.

Yeah, it's kind of a pity really.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

You can't argue that Tripwire sucks for making RO more action-y, and a post later argue that Tripwire sucks for making a mode just like the old RO... because no one likes the old RO

I think we should do a classic mode event this weekend

What's it take to set up a server? I've never done anything like that before.

Apparently there was a goon run RO2 server when it first came out, who was running that?

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

Jesus Christ, I got into a game last night that was fine, I was doing well, and then turned into pubbie racist bullshit. White people complaining about the non-white in their towns. There should be a "gently caress these fuckers and peace out to the menu" option that doesn't cost all your match XP. God drat, this is why I never got an xBox.

Can we please start that steam group already?

Info isin the op now

Mumble Server: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3521554 (Registered Users Only)
Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/go...playrisingstorm

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mans posted:

I really wish MaoistLeninist would come back and play Rising Storm while blasting Chinese propaganda music like he did in Red Orchestra 2. The pubbie reaction was hilarious then, now would be even better.

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for "Your government lie to you GI!"

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
http://www.incountrymod.com/ ?

Let's get a game together tonight. I'll be hanging out in the mumble server as soon as I get home.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Wait.

How can you shoot down recon planes?

Fully leveled type 99?

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

SquadronROE posted:

You are also missing out on a lot of grown men yelling at each other and calling each other homosexual when arguments over important video game matters break out.

That's why I like the TWB servers. They keep a pretty tight lid on the bullshit and the voice chat is usually the commander speaking asking for artillery spots, telling us when recon planes are going up and the like. It's pretty sweet.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Any of the maps on steam works worth a drat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Let's try to get a game together tonight, say on one of the TWB servers?

• Locked thread